• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Not sure if I'm liking Zero. Success seems so dependent on whether or not I can pull off a headshot while stealthed.
I get snipers that OHKO with Salvador and a better 'get out of jail free' card imo.

Glad I picked someone with HP and ammo regen. That's for sure.

one85x

Was having a pretty good time with this game until I hit:

lvl 15-16 spoiler:

Fink's Slaughterhouse. What the hell am I missing here? First off, the quest is definitely bugged. Half the time, enemies just stop appearing and the game hangs. Nothing more spawns. When I manage to get them spawning, I keep dying. Fighting through the first wave takes nearly all the ammo I have, and when I finally get lucky enough to get the second wave to spawn, I barely have any ammo and die quickly.

I just wasted about 45 minutes on that. Is that the only way to progress the game now? The whole thing seems half-assed. The character of Fink just stands there, no dialogue or anything. Game suddenly turned to shit.
That place is optional.
If I'm remembering correctly, right outside the entrance to Fink's Slaughterhouse is a large blast door you can open. There should be a valve on the wall next to it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Maya is amazing for me so far. I can just trap a really weak enemy and get massive amounts of health orbs off of it, and it picks up a lot of bigger enemies I didn't expect it to.

iNvid02

Not sure if I'm liking Zero. Success seems so dependent on whether or not I can pull off a headshot while stealthed.

same, decided to scrap the melee route i had planned. tried close up shotgun but that didnt work either.

getting ok results with the sniper but its still early and its kind of a chore, i think im gonna restart

TheExodu5

Banned
I get snipers that OHKO with Salvador and a better 'get out of jail free' card imo.

Glad I picked someone with HP and ammo regen. That's for sure.

Zero's class ability just seems friggin useless. What good is getting off a single higher damage shot every 15 seconds? With Mirana's stun, you can get like 5+ sniper headshots while the enemy is frozen, which is far more useful.

Gartooth

Having a ton of fun with the game so far and really like a lot of the changes and improvements made to the game.

Only thing that is annoying, is if you join someone's game and they are just finishing a quest, that quest also get's finished for you even if you want to experience it yourself. (this happened early on my file during a story mission, so I just reset my game in order to get the full experience) I really wish that they would give you the option on whether or not you wish to do missions that you finished in co-op, a second time in single player.

Also I have to make a quick mention of the Splinter Group mission which put a big huge grin on my face when I figured out what was going on.

DTKT

How's the PC online this time around? Still Gamespy?
Bit cautious because the PC version became a wasteland pretty damn quickly.

PC is fuckin awesome so far. Steamworks for everything and plenty of graphical options to tweak.

It's a proper PC game and not a port.

Razek

Banned
Zero's class ability just seems friggin useless. What good is getting off a single higher damage shot every 15 seconds? With Mirana's stun, you can get like 5+ sniper headshots while the enemy is frozen, which is far more useful.

I don't really get it either. My friend and I started on the PS3 version and he immediately fell in love with the character. I don't really understand the point of doing one single powerful shot. Most enemies die quickly anyways. I think he just likes the ability to get the heck out of dodge when stuff starts flying and things start spawning around us (which seems to happen a lot more this time around).

--
Anyways, I just made a critical story juncture. At that exact moment, I had a revelation on how to do a really cool axton build, but I want to keep playing this one to see what happens with the story. Not sure how I feel right now, guess I'll just keep going. I assume it can't be much longer until the end.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sitting at level 38? Now. The new game + is pretty challenging. Basically forcing you to use weapon combinations and slag unless you have some godly guns. Even then lots of ammo is used up.
Jakobs sniper that crits for 19k is my best friend. ALL I NEED.

You have it on a much shorter cooldown which is a bonus and can end it early to have it even faster.

Zerkin still better imo, but I'm starting a Zero now. Maybe I should go with Maya instead as that was my original planned go to.

Unskippable cutscenes suck.

lvl 15-16 spoiler:

Fink's Slaughterhouse. What the hell am I missing here? First off, the quest is definitely bugged. Half the time, enemies just stop appearing and the game hangs. Nothing more spawns. When I manage to get them spawning, I keep dying. Fighting through the first wave takes nearly all the ammo I have, and when I finally get lucky enough to get the second wave to spawn, I barely have any ammo and die quickly.

I just wasted about 45 minutes on that. Is that the only way to progress the game now? The whole thing seems half-assed. The character of Fink just stands there, no dialogue or anything. Game suddenly turned to shit.
I gained like 4 levels there to hit 21 iirc? Shit is great. If you don't have ammo regen you are probably boned though.

Gartooth

Yeah I'm having a blast with Zer0, right now, although I do agree that he is probably the worst class in the game until you have a decent pool of skills to improve his cloaking.

Only real qualm I have about his action skill is that invisibility doesn't equal intangibility, so I always have to be careful where I run because I don't want to take bullets to the face.

Mully

I'm a Gunzerker and still in the tutorial area. This is my first Borderlands experience. It's funny and cool, but I feel a bit overwhelmed by the game. Any tips?

Papercuts

Zero will be pretty damn nuts when he gets higher in the levels, even if he starts weak. My friend who started with Salvador also thought Gunzerking sucked at first, Maya and Axton just feel a lot more powerful from the getgo.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think Melee/Shotgun Zero will be great, judging by the skills. Sniper Zero...not too sure about that. Too many points go into making single crits powerful, and if you miss the crit, you waste a massive amount of damage potential.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm a Gunzerker and still in the tutorial area. This is my first Borderlands experience. It's funny and cool, but I feel a bit overwhelmed by the game. Any tips?
It'll walk you through most of what you need to know. Go at your own pace and read the text in the quest log (Tab) when you need to.
Zero will be pretty damn nuts when he gets higher in the levels, even if he starts weak. My friend who started with Salvador also thought Gunzerking sucked at first, Maya and Axton just feel a lot more powerful from the getgo.
Zerkin is p. good. Getting those bonuses up.
Moving 75% faster with + 75% fire rate is pretty hilarious.
I think Melee/Shotgun Zero will be great, judging by the skills. Sniper Zero...not too sure about that. Too many points go into making single crits powerful, and if you miss the crit, you waste a massive amount of damage potential.
How can you miss headshots on PC? Get a good acc. sniper.

PC is fuckin awesome so far. Steamworks for everything and plenty of graphical options to tweak.

It's a proper PC game and not a port.

Yep.

You can also use the SMAA injector if you don't like FXAA. It's just a quick swap of files and you've got a cleaner looking game.

Beepos

So what seems to be the class popularity you guys have seen so far between the 4 vault hunters. I've seen a Zer0 the most but can't judge the others since I have played very little online for the moment. Of course, it seems many people are now ditching Zer0 anyways so who knows :p

Razek

Banned

Just follow the quests you come across. Check each gun for their stats, compare for DPS, but mostly, just try some out and get a feel for everything. You will find a kind you like and get a groove for.

Aka: Kill enemies and loot lots of stuff for bigger better guns while following the green diamond on your map.

jediyoshi

How's the PC online this time around? Still Gamespy?
Bit cautious because the PC version became a wasteland pretty damn quickly.

Pretty broken on my end, haven't been able to join any friends' games/friends aren't able to join mine and for some reason only a tiny amount of games pop up on match browser

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
When the enemies are moving/fighting, their heads can sway around quite unpredictably.
Poor excuses.

Crit is way better on pistols imo since most Snipers OHKO already when you need to. Also fantastic on shotguns.
Crit doesn't have to be sniper.

Naite

Because of this shield, my melee-based zero is practically rewarded for playing like an idiot
LS3fx.jpg

I just wish I got a new Law gun cause this one if does crap damage aside from the +100% melee bonus

Beaulieu

how do you get skills point without leveling ?
playing online with a friend, we both started from the beginning, we are now lvl 7, he has 4 skill points while i have only 3.

Razek

Banned
how do you get skills point without leveling ?
playing online with a friend, we both started from the beginning, we are now lvl 7, he has 4 skill points while i have only 3.

Maybe you didn't use one? That shouldn't happen.

But I like snipers. :(

Then play Salvador and pick up a Jakobs and never run out of ammo ever.
Popping Zerker gives you 60 sniper ammo :p

I second this if you are going to play snipers only. There are way too many parts later in the game where I had to seriously zerk 10+ times in the middle of a single battle because I was running out of sniper ammo. I can't see it being conceivable with another class unless you run 2 or more weapon types.

Papercuts

What is your build like so far?

I'm only up to level 15 but so far have been speccing towards the phaselock revive to help in co-op. I was planning on filling this tree and going halfway down motion to get the group pull and additional phaselock duration.

The Cataclysm tree seems nuts but I've been doing fine just sniping people as they're levitated, so I'm focusing more on helping everyone else instead of becoming walking death. Though I can always respec for that. :p

Mupod

lvl 15-16 spoiler:

I got boned in there when the very last enemy of the final wave bugged into the wall. I could hit him with grenades, but he was a badass with a million hp or something.

After my friend came back though we burned through 3 rounds no problem. TONS of exp and I got a freakishly good Dahl sniper rifle, so no complaints. Got kinda sick of it after that though.

Anyways dual shotgun Brawn Salvador is really working for me. I have 7/5 in that thing which makes you run/reload fast when being shot, so I'm basically the Doomguy at this point. Also I look like Oddjob.

I'm loving the game but it keeps crashing on me. I verified my game cache and it came up with 1 file error and it redownloaded it. Unfortunetly the game stopped working completely at that point so now I am redownloading the whole game again.

I'm only up to level 15 but so far have been speccing towards the phaselock revive to help in co-op. I was planning on filling this tree and going halfway down motion to get the group pull and additional phaselock duration.

The Cataclysm tree seems nuts but I've been doing fine just sniping people as they're levitated, so I'm focusing more on helping everyone else instead of becoming walking death. Though I can always respec for that. :p

The Cata tree seems week aside from Flicker, IMO. I would just go with Motion and Harmony.

I'm loving the game but it keeps crashing on me. I verified my game cache and it came up with 1 file error and it redownloaded it. Unfortunetly the game stopped working completely at that point so now I am redownloading the whole game again.

you're not using big picture mode are you?

Papercuts

The Cata tree seems week aside from Flicker, IMO. I would just go with Motion and Harmony.

I think a full tree in cataclysm and half into motion would be good, the group pull on top of the elemental effects it would cause would be pretty nuts.

Then again I have a class mod that does corrosion and guns always help with the other elements. Harmony is good stuff so far, atleast. 5 health orbs off ANYTHING, so I can just lift a wimp to oneshot and heal my group up.

Dartastic

I think a full tree in cataclysm and half into motion would be good, the group pull on top of the elemental effects it would cause would be pretty nuts.

Then again I have a class mod that does corrosion and guns always help with the other elements. Harmony is good stuff so far, atleast. 5 health orbs off ANYTHING, so I can just lift a wimp to oneshot and heal my group up.
Yeah, I started specing towards motion, to get the bullet deflection. I'm going to work towards health next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom