• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double D

I really like Zero so far. I'm level 14 and switch between a sniper, pistol, and shotgun. The pistol I've been using for the last 5 levels or so is a hyperion with a good scope and the bullets explode after impact. My shield has a blast radius thing when it's depleted, and I have a mod now that regens my health by 1.5%.

I really alternate between the three weapons regularly and use melee and deception quite a bit. Deception to run up on bigger enemies and blast them with a shotgun works like a champ. Then if they knock my shield down it explodes and and I haul ass and repeat.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Not sure what's happening, but I grabbed the patch and now I'm getting extreme lag on input and single digit frame rate.

It's even worse when trying coop.

Radeon HD 6870
Intel i5-2500k
8gb ram

Edit: It's not all the time, just certain area's?

Edit 2: Not areas but when I run up to certain people or where things are bunched up?

Beepos

The only thing I feel with using Salvy and a sniper rifle build is his skill becomes simply an ammo generator and you lose a lot of the main purpose of it: duel wield emphasis. Surely when you max out your sniper rifle capacity you would be ok.. or find a sniper with regenerative ammo?

With Axton I found the turret is a great distration for those who want to sit back and use a sniper rifle. Especially with the Longbow passive to send it far into a pack of enemies.

Because of this shield, my melee-based zero is practically rewarded for playing like an idiot
LS3fx.jpg

I just wish I got a new Law gun cause this one if does crap damage aside from the +100% melee bonus

I have an Ornery Law that's really good and still works with it. Has 913 damage if I remember right.

Razek

Banned
The only thing I feel with using Salvy and a sniper rifle build is his skill becomes simply an ammo generator and you lose a lot of the main purpose of it: duel wield emphasis. Surely when you max out your sniper rifle capacity you would be ok.. or find a sniper with regenerative ammo?

With Axton I found the turret is a great distration for those who want to sit back and use a sniper rifle. Especially with the Longbow passive to send it far into a pack of enemies.

Unless you get super lucky and get a very very powerful sniper for some of the harder parts of the game, you can easily go through 400+ ammo (90 is max cap. I believe) in any long section, and for some reason this game absolutely hates giving out sniper ammo.

During one specific boss fight, I was forced to use around 500 shots. It would have been impossible without regenerating ammo.

Edit: Assuming we take 'running back to an ammo machine' out of the equation. I hate doing that!

Teknoman

How's the PC online this time around? Still Gamespy?
Bit cautious because the PC version became a wasteland pretty damn quickly.

No steamworks and it works great

PC is fuckin awesome so far. Steamworks for everything and plenty of graphical options to tweak.

It's a proper PC game and not a port.

Pretty broken on my end, haven't been able to join any friends' games/friends aren't able to join mine and for some reason only a tiny amount of games pop up on match browser

Add me to the awesome crowd. No strange Radeon issues, great graphic performance, and i've been able to invite and join friends perfectly fine from the in game list, which pulls from the steam list.

Gotchaye

Level 37 Zero.

I agree with a lot of what people are saying about his skill before you can max out a tree. It's hard to use effectively, doesn't make much sense with sniper rifles, and tends to leave you sitting in the middle of a huge pack. I got a lot of mileage out of his melee attack early in the game, and Execute kept it competitive (note that it works even when you're out of range, and can be used repeatedly to move really, really fast towards an enemy), but pretty soon after level 20 it starts falling off in favor of using the Deception bonus on point-blank shotguns, and even there I relied on being able to second wind more often than not. But shotgun Zero with melee finishers was by far the strongest build I had until level 31, and was pretty consistently able to drop the strongest enemy in an encounter instantly. Bosses were also generally very easy with a low delay shield. Ammo was a problem like some people have said, but that's why you carry a sniper rifle or rocket launcher, a shotgun, an assault rifle, and an SMG.

Many Must Fall leaves something to be desired as a combat skill; it's hard to chain since the damage bonus out of Deception is based on time spent in Deception rather than time left in Deception (the refresh is only 3 seconds or so, so if you get a full-strength attack out of the initial 5s cooldown, your next attack isn't going to be nearly as strong). However, Death Blossom is phenomenal, and can weaken a group of enemies or kill a single Super Badass by itself. And then you still get to shotgun blast out of Deception. Elemental SMGs also become really appealing due to Two Fang and Rising Shot. I feel like he's very effective at my current level, and I'm not having much trouble against same-level or slightly stronger enemies.

That said, there have been some pretty boring stretches. He's nowhere near as fun as Lilith was. I'm looking forward to rolling Maya in a few weeks when my friends get the game.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Is the slaughterhouse a one-time event succeed or fail? Or can you do it multiple times?

Vodh

Picked up a preorder on the last hour possible before it went live on EU Steam and I'm so fucking glad I did. I loved the first BL even tho it was a bad PC port - this one is a proper PC game and so far every single thing I can think of got improved, it's insane!

Started playing as Maya, currently level 7 or so, thinking of switching to Zer0. I don't play melee, but Maya seems restricted to the elemental damage if I wanna play with guns, and I think I could make Zer0 work with any weapon picking every skill from the first 3 tiers in Sniping and then grabbing 5/5 Grim and 4/5 F0ll0wthr0ugh from Bloodshed. What do you guys think about it? This medium to long range sharpshooter is pretty much what I enjoyed most when I played BL1.

Level 9 or so with Zero. I like his special ability; it just appeals to me more than "TURRET" or "DUAL WIELD".

That being said, one thing that Gearbox have seriously fucked up is that (as far as I'm aware) you can't trigger Deception and sprint simultaneously. You have to hit LB, then sprint a moment later, which really destroys the the intended flow; it's also hard to even tell if you're sprinting or not with all the visual bells and whistles going off. And I'm pretty sure that activating it mid-sprint cancels the sprint.

MORE than happy to have someone correct me.

Gotchaye

Level 9 or so with Zero. I like his special ability; it just appeals to me more than "TURRET" or "DUAL WIELD".

That being said, one thing that Gearbox have seriously fucked up is that (as far as I'm aware) you can't trigger Deception and sprint simultaneously. You have to hit LB, then sprint a moment later, which really destroys the the intended flow; it's also hard to even tell if you're sprinting or not with all the visual bells and whistles going off. And I'm pretty sure that activating it mid-sprint cancels the sprint.

MORE than happy to have someone correct me.

Yeah, that seems to be how it works. Doesn't flow nearly as well as phasewalk, which gave you better-than-sprinting move speed immediately upon use.

the classes don't get weapon proficiencies like the first game right?
Right.

Damn, wanted to play for a bit tonight but when I click on the icon to start the game I get some error about Steam.exe extending past the 'blob' or something. Very cryptic, and I have no idea what this means, how it happened, or how to fix it. Any ideas?

TommyT

Popping in once again... this time with a complaint (I suppose). Was on the last step to save
Roland
early on, needed to refill some ammo and swap guns before fighting the boss there. Turns out it's a one way trip and to get back you have to fight your way through that area again. You can't just speed run to that spot (doors are shut and whatnot). Disappointing as that will put the game on hold until a find a friend on that quest as I'm not wanting to play that portion again just to get back to a spot where I potentially waste all my ammo, die, and have to repeat.

I suppose there is always joining a public game just to bypass that...

Psi

The patch broke the game for me on Steam. Every time I try to play the game the launcher crashes.

Edit: Just found a fix on the steam forums

Python Puncher said:
Try this:

Create a .txt file in notepad and write the numbers '49520' without the ' '. Save it as 'steam_appid.txt' and save it in your Steam directory 'Steam\steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Win32' and run Borderlands2.exe as admin.

I forgot to mention that you might also have to run the borderlands2 exe from its home folder as admin after the above addition.

for anyone else who has this issue.

lordy88

Anyone know what the reward is for completely of the Fink (level 17 spoiler)
Slaughterhouse waves?
I'm 2/5 done, and I'm wondering if it is worth it to trek through it all.

Just finished the mission that I'm assuming is relativity near the end, named
Where Angels Fear to Tread (Part 1).
That was honestly, one of the best missions I've ever played in any game, and was better than all of Borderlands 1 combined. If it keeps ramping up like that as the game gets neared to the end, I have a feeling it's going to be quite the treat.

Psi

Anyone know what the reward is for completely of the Fink (level 17 spoiler)
Slaughterhouse waves?
I'm 2/5 done, and I'm wondering if it is worth it to trek through it all.

I just finished that and got
a blue corrosive assault rifle that shoots bullets like flares in an arc. It's not bad, but I probably won't use it much. It scales to your level just like the arena also.

Shrennin

Steam? PezRadar
XBL? GBX PezRadar

I gotta say, that's pretty awesome that you're playing with us. I just got the game myself (had to get the pre-order bonuses) and it's the first Borderlands game that I've played. I immediately purchased the original game of the year version. With that said, I don't know why, but when the first released I used to get sick (motion sick) from watching the game. That's not happening now so I'm going to definitely enjoy the games! =P

CoLaN

Ok, i will probably jump in and i never played the first Borderlands, so i really feel the need to try this sequel. I have some friends to play BL2 with, but i have to wait a bit since they are already deep into their first playthrough i guess... Is the online multiplayer working well pub wise? Or is everyone playing in private games? It would be awesome if the community is really active, exchanging items etc.

one_kill

I just got the game!

Any tips for someone who hasn't played the first game? I'm thinking of going with Axton for my first playthrough.

Shrennin

Any tips for someone who hasn't played the first game? I'm thinking of going with Axton for my first playthrough.

As someone who is a first time player as well, I'm doing pretty well with Maya. Axton also seems pretty well-rounded as well.

DD-11

I'm a little confused about the mechromancer. She is a $10 DLC, but if you preorder, she's free. So buying the game now, new, doesn't get you the character for free?

Shrennin

I'm a little confused about the mechromancer. She is a $10 DLC, but if you preorder, she's free. So buying the game now, new, doesn't get you the character for free?

Unless you can still obtain the pre-order code, which is unlikely, then no. Buying the game new right now will not net you the mechromancer for free.

I just got the game!

Be ready to experiment with lots of guns.
Colored text represent rarities; purple and orange (and especially light blue) are the rarest, white are common.
Eridium (those purple rocks) are valuable for ammo and backpack upgrades. Focus first on upgrading your backpack twice to carry more stuff.

Salsa

Zero's class ability just seems friggin useless. What good is getting off a single higher damage shot every 15 seconds? With Mirana's stun, you can get like 5+ sniper headshots while the enemy is frozen, which is far more useful.

you can chain it forever once you get the last skills. It's all about pulling that off IMO

im really liking zer0 but then again I love sniping and Mordecai was my favorite character in the first one

Meier

Picked Zer0 since I was Mordecai last time. I miss Mordecai's class ability.. Zer0's pretty much sucks but oh well, what can ya do. I'm up to level 9 or thereabouts now and am in Chapter 6. Loving it again, great game -- great series.

For PS3 and X360, only 3 stores were eligible to get you the preorder code even. I personally decided to cancel my preorder from a retailer who wasn't eligible and did not buy the game due to this and have it from Gamefly.

This game. THIS FUCKING GAME.

If I had to make a list of all of my small grievances with the first game I'd have to put a checkmark next to each one as Gearbox has really gone to town making a ton of small and large changes that fix... everything.

My only gripe, and this is at level 12 mind you, is that fast travel locations are few and far between so far, thus limiting their utility a bit. As I get more used to the game things might work out better though, but we've hoofed it a lot, and thats something that at least for me works a lot better when playing solo and exploring the world and taking in all the sights.

On that note, exploration is so much better this time around. Its nice to go off the beaten path and find a whole area that seems to have no quests to it, but is worthwhile to check out anyway.

Being able to inspect the weapon models is also a huge plus in this game, and even the small amount of customization. Even the vehicles feel much better once you give yourself some fun time to break them in.

This game is going to stay by my xbox for a long time to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom