• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulfate

Well this sucks, looks like I'm behind (or ahead) of the campaign. I'm now facing foes that are far superior than me and I cannot even kill them. I am a level 16 and facing enemies that are 19 and 20.

Now what?

Go do a bunch of side missions to get my level up?

I think yes....side missions can lead to some crazy places

I really think they did a great job with side missions, there not all kill 10 rats and usually end up having some challenging moments

Razek

Banned
Well this sucks, looks like I'm behind (or ahead) of the campaign. I'm now facing foes that are far superior than me and I cannot even kill them. I am a level 16 and facing enemies that are 19 and 20.

Now what?

Same deal with me. I'm 22 and fighting 26 guys all of a sudden. One mission ago they were 21, quite the spike. I dono, I'm trying to push through. I've died more than I have all game on this one part, but I did also find a cool assault rifle here so the loot seems worth it.

Derrick01

Banned

Now what?

I seem to have the opposite problem. I'm 24 and my 4 quests are all ranked Trivial. I guess it's a better problem to have since I can still do them but I get almost nothing for doing them or killing the enemies.

Razek

Banned
Oh, I forgot to mention, I played the PS3 version a few hours ago. I know some posters mentioned it.

Anyways, I didn't have any noticeable frame drops. The game is about the same res and FOV as the first BLs. There is a tiny bit of input delay compared to PC and it's definitely harder to keep track of stuff that's going on. Still, it's fine and definitely playable. I didn't have a single problem connecting to a friend (who I've had problems with in the past).

--
Random complaints I just encountered in the PC version:

Worst enemies are the suicide loaders. I sometimes need to mute my volume to hear somebody or be on the phone, and then boom, I'm dead because one snuck up on me.

Also, as others have mentioned, checkpoint system sucks. I did a 2 hour mission and had to quit because my friend wanted to switch to the ps3 version. Back to the start :(

Stantron

zLj94.jpg
Got this bad boy at around level 20. It shoots out a horizontal stream of explosive rounds. I need to restrict myself from using it because it makes the game easy mode. I can take out even the big foot soldiers like level 27 Goliaths in one or two pulls of the trigger even though I'm still level 24. Feels like cheating.
btw, why is the stat box tangent to the left edge like that? So much space on the right.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How many damn legendaries are there in this game? o_O I though there were only a handful and they were super rare but we got people posting them every other page.

Key exploits?

codhand

How many damn legendaries are there in this game? o_O I though there were only a handful and they were super rare but we got people posting them every other page.

Key exploits?

No, I just think Gaffers are going nuts, I've been playing everyday at lunch and after work for two plus hours and I'm at lvl 12, most Gaffers in the community are like 22 and up =/

DTKT

I had no idea that wasn't in anymore. I'll definitely miss that. Do they just fall down and die instead?

The weird thing is that you still see a lot of blood coming out of headshots, but I don't think I've ever seen a head disappear in the explosion.

It really does make everything feel like "static" and "rigid.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
i shot off someones leg, so there's that, i too have yet to see heads explode :(

Yeah they will gib from explosions and lose limbs on occasion but most def head popping seems to be gone. Really not happy about that once again. Esp after they said the following.

"We're happy to announce that Borderlands 2 will be uncut all over the world!

Some fans will remember that the first Borderlands game was a bit toned down in certain territories compared to the rest of the world. No longer! Do you live in Germany? Australia? Bandits will be just as likely to explode into bloody chunks of awesomeness as they will be in Canada or England (which is to say: very likely.)

Or, maybe you’re the type who abhors violence. You’re in luck – we’ve implemented a Gore Toggle option. With a single button press, you can turn Borderlands a less violent experience!"

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/content/view/913/33/

Am hoping its just some sort of mixup and a fix is in the process to bring back the game to its original glory with the effects.

Razek

Banned
Awesome loot grind spot if anyone is interested (Where I got that assault rifle a while back):

If you are level ~23-25, you will come to a mission eventually in the Thousand Cuts map where you must
Assault the Hyperion base through the defense shield that claptrap disables.

Once you get 3/4s of the way up, you will encounter a Badass
Contructor, it's the second one you face, not the first constructor

Once you kill it, work your way up the hill to the platform it was on. There should be 2-4 guns, hopefully a few of which should be insanely good. This time I got a ridiculous shotgun that is 230X10, fast, accurate, tedieor reload ability, and fire damage to boot!

Edit: Also, be on the lookout for a zillion weapon chests in this area too, it feels like a mini knoxx.
Edit2: I count around 10 chests hidden in this general area. There might be more too.

Initial impressions after two hours or so of gameplay: Game is beautiful, and the first time I've been able to use Physx on high on my slightly dated pc. Everything runs so smooth and the game is so damn pretty.

Having recently finished up the first Borderlands, it's amazing how much of a step up this is, while still feeling totally familiar. Everything is just so much smoother and slicker, in terms of the visuals and the gunplay. Clearly there's a lot more going on in the dialogue and story department too.

Things that are slightly disappointing is that the game uses the exact same save system. I basically gave up on the DLCs in the first game, because entire campaigns had only one waypoint to travel to, so if you set out to explore an area or do a mission, you better have the time to do the whole thing or you'd be forced to start all over, with all the enemies respawned, way back where you started. I guess this is a MMO-type thing, but it really hampers the single player experience. Could the regular progress save points not just have been used as spawn points as well?

The game still isn't balanced for single player that great either. I know it's very early days, but they're throwing packs of these bullymongs at me and defeating them is pretty exhausting. It still feels like they're throwing enemies at me like they think I'm playing co-op at times.

Also, some elements feel almost too familiar in terms of the first one and probably could have done with a fresh coat of paint.

Nitpicks aside, I love it and I'm going to enjoy exploring these already stunningly beautiful environments. This visual style really clicks with me, I think it's far superior to some games that strive for a more realistic look. It's like you're walking around in a really sweet comic book or animated film. And I love this sci-fi mad max/redneck world and its humour.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Head popping is still in. I think only on certain enemy types. The giant roided up guy that sometimes turn all red when near death and gets enraged, they have come at me headless.

eshwaaz

Yeah they will gib from explosions and lose limbs on occasion but most def head popping seems to be gone. Really not happy about that once again. Esp after they said the following.

Am hoping its just some sort of mixup and a fix is in the process to bring back the game to its original glory with the effects.

Not a mix-up. Randy Pitchford, from a Q & A with Kotaku:
Randy Pitchford said:
Not a glitch. Look at that thread about Russian compatibility above and then consider compatibility with other territories that have different expectations about gore. We've found our fun and feedback in other inventive ways and have an on-going thread on the table about how to adjust this system moving forward. There may be some patching. We'll see. Feel free to join the debate on the Gearbox forums on our website: www.gearboxsoftware.com.
Take a look at the video link I posted on the previous page. Even when characters occasionally gib in the final game, it looks nowhere near as glorious as in the trailer.

DanielJr82

I noticed the weapon proficiency levels from part 1 are gone. I know the challenge bonuses are for all weapons, but how else do you "level up" your gun skill? Is recoil, bullet spread, damage all handled by the class trees now? Or are they inherent in the guns now? (Requiring skill instead of levels.)

jediyoshi

WvUXk.jpg

my siren for now. wishing there was a way by the time you hit end game that you could level up older unique guns. there's a few in particular i hate to stop using.

So are you guys finding these weapons based on luck? Or is there a place your farming. I am level 18 and I cant find shit in store or loot wise

Avinexus

Awesome loot grind spot if anyone is interested (Where I got that assault rifle a while back):

If you are level ~23-25, you will come to a mission eventually in the Thousand Cuts map where you must
Assault the Hyperion base through the defense shield that claptrap disables.

Once you get 3/4s of the way up, you will encounter a Badass
Contructor, it's the second one you face, not the first constructor

Once you kill it, work your way up the hill to the platform it was on. There should be 2-4 guns, hopefully a few of which should be insanely good. This time I got a ridiculous shotgun that is 230X10, fast, accurate, tedieor reload ability, and fire damage to boot!

Edit: Also, be on the lookout for a zillion weapon chests in this area too, it feels like a mini knoxx.
Edit2: I count around 9 chests hidden in this general area. There might be more too.

Damn, I'm level 25 and I'm nowhere near that area (as far as I know). I just got to the
Wildlife Exploitation Reserve
. I'm severely overleveled for this place though and I haven't grinded anything at all. I have done all side quests as far as I can tell. Its a lot harder to tell whether you've done all available quests in this game compared to the first.

I haven't found any orange weapons except the ones you get for quest rewards. I keep finding E-Tech weapons, and they suck.

d00d3n

Insane eridium-farming:

Get three or four players together. Go to sanctuary. Each player should have 5-10k dollars. Start using the two slot machines. The house does win in the long run, but by that time you will have earned some great weapons and more importantly loads of eridium. Every player benefits from money and eridium pickups from other players (this is why the farming is so effective). Remember to sell items you are not going to use. Using this method together with two other players I turned 7000 dollars into maxed out sniper ammo capacity (90 i think) and maxed out backpack (27 items).

By the way, has anyone gotten the three borderlines signs on the slot machines? Must be very rare. What is the reward?

Riggs

Banned
Insane eridium-farming:

Get three or four players together. Go to sanctuary. Each player should have 5-10k dollars. Start using the two slot machines. The house does win in the long run, but by that time you will have earned some great weapons and more importantly loads of eridium. Every player benefits from money and eridium pickups from other players (this is why the farming is so effective). Remember to sell items you are not going to use. Using this method together with two other players I turned 7000 dollars into maxed out sniper ammo capacity (90 i think) and maxed out backpack (27 items).

By the way, has anyone gotten the three borderlines signs on the slot machines? Must be very rare. What is the reward?

Listen to this man people!!! Slot machines are fucking gold mines. I got like 43 eridium so fast last night just playing the slots. And yeah I think the 3 borderland signs are super rare, never got them to line up yet. But I did hit a triple stack eridium jack pot! Feels gooood man.

Feel free to add me d00d3n or anyone else

CapTN Riggz on steam
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Riggzzz/

Razek

Banned
Listen to this man people!!! Slot machines are fucking gold mines. I got like 43 eridium so fast last night just playing the slots. And yeah I think the 3 borderland signs are super rare, never got them to line up yet. But I did hit a triple stack eridium jack pot! Feels gooood man.

Feel free to add me d00d3n or anyone else

CapTN Riggz on steam
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Riggzzz/

I was just coming here to say how addictive the two in sanctuary are. I didn't get anything particularly cool out of it, but the constant winning of something just stimulates that pleasure center perfectly. Also, the eridium is indeed awesome.

Damn, I'm level 25 and I'm nowhere near that area (as far as I know). I just got to the
Wildlife Exploitation Reserve
. I'm severely overleveled for this place though and I haven't grinded anything at all. I have done all side quests as far as I can tell. Its a lot harder to tell whether you've done all available quests in this game compared to the first.

I haven't found any orange weapons except the ones you get for quest rewards. I keep finding E-Tech weapons, and they suck.

Holy crap. I just turned 23 from farming this mission a little. I'm a few missions ahead too. I guess we can conclusively say that skipping side missions hurts your level.

Derrick01

Banned
I just acquired an orange-rank shotgun that, while not the strongest I've seen, when reloaded it floats after a target while shooting a few times (without using my ammo reserves!) and then exploding. I think I'm in love.

Drazgul

Added a few of ya'll guys as friends! Wanna get some jolly co-operation going.

Also don't trust the colour of the drops. This legendary is absolutely useless.

Jacob bonus on a 3 shot gun. Thing takes years to reload as well. Still... looks pretty.

With the right Gunzerker spec, The need to reload is lessened greatly (proc to not use any ammo when you shoot). That's a weapon tailored for such a build. I got two shotguns with low clips that I keep purely for gunzerking - with it on, I can blast away even the stronger mobs like badasses in an instant.

Smash88

Banned
I'm at level 13 and on chapter 7. I'm going to play tomorrow at around 7 pm pst tomorrow with a friend or 2 if you wanna join up.

That is, if you are on PC.

Sorry edge, I got loaded with so much assignments and other things it just left me with no time. And I will be busy until Monday. Hopefully we can play then if you are still interested.

Was having a pretty good time with this game until I hit:

lvl 15-16 spoiler:

Fink's Slaughterhouse. What the hell am I missing here? First off, the quest is definitely bugged. Half the time, enemies just stop appearing and the game hangs. Nothing more spawns. When I manage to get them spawning, I keep dying. Fighting through the first wave takes nearly all the ammo I have, and when I finally get lucky enough to get the second wave to spawn, I barely have any ammo and die quickly.

I just wasted about 45 minutes on that. Is that the only way to progress the game now? The whole thing seems half-assed. The character of Fink just stands there, no dialogue or anything. Game suddenly turned to shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom