• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted last night my dilemma, I was a 16 and playing main story against level 20s. So I went back and started doing side missions. I'm a 19 now and feel like I'm much stronger than before, but still going to do more side missions before heading back to main story.

It seams all of the cool weapons don't start until you hit level 19 or so.

Well, they do need to keep feeding our loot addiction :D

I want to go home and play :(

ultrazilla

Kind of disappointed that the interior boxart directly lifts elements from one of the Star Wars posters I did for Mondo/Lucas a while back.

8009239084_28118bf7f9_z.jpg

Just seems a bit lazy.

Sorry, that's outright THEFT. I'm terribly let down with Gearbox doing this/letting it slip by. Gonna hold off on purchasing Borderlands 2 until they make this right. Not very cool at all.

Mikey Jr.

Anyone else find the Helios skill for maya worthless? I mean, I put 5 points into it and I am just not feeling it at all. Yeah, it damages people around the phaselock, but it just seems to set them on fire, something that my smg does anyways. Plus, it hardly does any damage when it explodes.

Moss

Sorry, that's outright THEFT. I'm terribly let down with Gearbox doing this/letting it slip by. Gonna hold off on purchasing Borderlands 2 until they make this right. Not very cool at all.

Don't hold off. It's a great game, and I don't think it was done with any malice. Probably just slipped through the cracks. No hard feelings here at all - just a little disappointing.

Wallach

I mean if it was the main cover that's one thing but it the reversable.

That doesn't really change the fact that they lifted not just the idea but the actual canyon lines from one image and slapped it onto theirs. It's a pretty shit thing for a professional artist to do.

Beaulieu

I don't think you can actually win a lawsuit for something like that, unless they were selling it, and even then, can you copyright (or whatever the correct term is here) an art style? I mean, there are probably a million different things that have used that art style, especially after he made those Star Wars posters.

the lines under the silouhettes are straight up the same. its not juste "borrowing an art style", they stole part of his creation.

and the emplacement of the image in the box makes no difference..

solarus

Kind of disappointed that the interior boxart directly lifts elements from one of the Star Wars posters I did for Mondo/Lucas a while back.

Just seems a bit lazy.

Great game though. A++++++ Would play again.
That sucks :/ have you contacted gearbox about it?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I must be lucky as fuck. I just got two magneto weapons literally one right after the other (opened porta-potty, a magneto gun! Go ahead a bit, open a chest, another magneto gun!). This makes it 6 magneto weapons and two orange guns I have found so far.

mag1j.png

mag2h.png

Izayoi

Banned
I don't know, it doesn't really seem malicious. BL2 has a lot of references, and it's kind of lame that some stuff is the exact same, but I don't think it's a huge deal.

Fake edit: Moss agrees.

ultrazilla

Don't hold off. It's a great game, and I don't think it was done with any malice. Probably just slipped through the cracks. No hard feelings here at all - just a little disappointing.

I appreciate your feelings Moss(love your art btw! :) but Gearbox needs to be held accountable. They're a big company and they should be well aware of intellectual property rights, trademarks, copyrights, etc.

I'm sure if someone had done this towards Gearbox(use some of their artwork in an unauthorized manner) they'd be dropping lawyer letters left and right.

Hopefully this is simply something they *missed* and will give you credit(perhaps your name patched into the credits for the artwork they used) via an update to the game.

Ronabo

Just seems a bit lazy.

The thing is you didn't invent that style of art. I see it as being a tribute to that style of movie poster art from that time period and artist that originally did it. Just because it looks like something you've done before doesn't mean they've ripped you off.

Unless you've done work for Gearbox before. Then that would be a another matter.

edit: I see the lines now that looks like they have been ripped off. Sorry I apologize.
But hey maybe I'm totally wrong. I'm not an artist at all.

Avinexus

the lines under the silouhettes are straight up the same. its not juste "borrowing an art style", they stole part of his creation.

Oh, my bad. I didn't even notice that, I thought he was just talking about the art style itself. Carry on then, I'll grab my pitchfork.

Anyone else find the Helios skill for maya worthless? I mean, I put 5 points into it and I am just not feeling it at all. Yeah, it damages people around the phaselock, but it just seems to set them on fire, something that my smg does anyways. Plus, it hardly does any damage when it explodes.

That depends. I am going straight down the Cataclysm tree and once you get the final ability + Helios your phaselock will have shock, fire, and corrosive damage ticking off on a slagged enemy. I plan on using my phaselock as a way to get someone out of the fight and let all of that elemental damage tick off while I deal with the guys that aren't in the phaselock.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The thing is you didn't invent that style of art. I see it as being a tribute to that style of movie poster art from that time period and artist that originally did it. Just because it looks like something you've done before doesn't mean they've ripped you off.

Unless you've done work for Gearbox before. Then that would be a another matter.

But hey maybe I'm totally wrong. I'm not an artist at all.

I must be lucky as fuck. I just got two magneto weapons literally one right after the other (opened porta-potty, a magneto gun! Go ahead a bit, open a chest, another magneto gun!). This makes it 6 magneto weapons and two orange guns I have found so far.

mag1j.png

mag2h.png

if those had scopes, they'd be fucking flawless.

question: when do the "x2" and other multiples come into play?

nel e nel

Just seems a bit lazy.

The question people seem to be ignoring is who owns the rights to this image? Do you? Or does Mondo/Lucas?

And sometimes this kind of stuff will be exempt due to loopholes. Similar things exist in music where you can basically do a cover and it's protected because it's considered a parody.

Outside of the general style, the only point I've seen so far are the zig zag lines under the silhouette. That may not be enough to constitute any infringement:

wikipedia said:
For copyright protection to attach to a later, allegedly derivative work, it must display some originality of its own. It cannot be a rote, uncreative variation on the earlier, underlying work. The latter work must contain sufficient new expression, over and above that embodied in the earlier work for the latter work to satisfy copyright law’s requirement of originality.

Gets into some serious gray territory, and I'm not educated enough in the law to know who would have the burden of proof in this case.

EDIT: Was doing a bit of reading on fair use, and they may not have used enough of the original work for it to qualify as infringement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

In short, we must often... look to the nature and objects of the selections made, the quantity and value of the materials used, and the degree in which the use may prejudice the sale, or diminish the profits, or supersede the objects, of the original work.

I mean, do you think that this inside cover art will damage the sales of your artwork? (coincidentally, your store on your site doesn't seem to be working properly). Also, not trying to be a debbie downer, just got into a flurry of reading up on this stuff.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
if those had scopes, they'd be fucking flawless.

question: when do the "x2" and other multiples come into play?

When you get crits or other lucky shots I assume. Getting a headshot with the pistol gets over a 1000 damage on enemies. That's just a guess though as I am not quite sure, but my shots are doing more than 533 damage. Usually 700+ even with non-crit shots. This pistol is so awesome though, as the 200% accuracy sometimes makes shots I thought I missed hit (I guess they home in a bit), which in turn gets it more likely to get crits, and burns them afterward, but the burn damage seems to do x2 with the gun to as it's doing more damage than I got with my last fire-based weapon (though that may be aided by outside factors like badass points too).

The two weapons also work great together. Slagging enemies with the machine gun and then switching to the pistol and burning them has had great results thus far.

Harlock

Just seems a bit lazy.

Ah, we always do a lot of copy/paste in compositions. And hoping they never find out. :)

Is like sampling sounds.

So I did a side by side of the e tech weapons and a regular purple, what the fuck! Why are these colors so close? There needs to be a way to distinguish these better.

XeroSauce

When you get crits or other lucky shots I assume. Getting a headshot with the pistol gets over a 1000 damage on enemies. That's just a guess though as I am not quite sure, but my shots are doing more than 533 damage. Usually 700+ even with non-crit shots. This pistol is so awesome though, as the 200% accuracy sometimes makes shots I thought I missed hit (I guess they home in a bit), which in turn gets it more likely to get crits, and burns them afterward, but the burn damage seems to do x2 with the gun to as it's doing more damage than I got with my last fire-based weapon (though that may be aided by outside factors like badass points too).

The two weapons also work great together. Slagging enemies with the machine gun and then switching to the pistol and burning them has had great results thus far.

Erm...enemies have natural defense* so you will almost never do the exact damage that is stated, that is more of a guideline to compare to other weapons.

Gav47

Two questions, did they change Scooter's voice actor? Does Brick make an appearance? Seems kinda strange to have all of the other characters from the last game apart from him.

Also, anyone want to play some coop, I'm a lvl.21 Siren just starting the Wildlife Preserve mission.

Carm

What is the point of being able to put a star or x on weapons in the inventory? I assumed it was a sell all but starred ones, but that didn't work.

DTKT

What is the point of being able to put a star or x on weapons in the inventory? I assumed it was a sell all but starred ones, but that didn't work.

I think you need to mark weapons you don't want with the red X. That marks it as trash and you can use the sell all options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom