• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I just got this game. I haven't played this one or the first one but I heard its damn fun. What do I need to know or tips for the game. Also which character should I be? Im having a hard time deciding.

XeroSauce

Ok so I just got this game. I haven't played this one or the first one but I heard its damn fun. What do I need to know or tips for the game. Also which character should I be? Im having a hard time deciding.

Axton is good for beginners, and honestly you just need to know how to aim and have a decent sense of humor.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
This, I'm always surprised when I see Clap-Trap hate, but maybe it's a certain type of humor that just doesn't work for some people, but it's the same humor that makes up all the dialog in the game.

The parts where he really annoys the hell out of me are the idle animations from the first game; "I'm dancin', I'm dancin'!" and such got REALLY old, REALLY quick.

I just don't get that with so many amazing movie posters, why would you crib from one of the most high profile films of all time?

something something iconic, something something else, parody, the fact Randy Pitchford is making positive steps to clear the air, gearbox is working its way into my best devs ever category.

XeroSauce

It's probably been said before but Handsome Jack reminds me of Sterling Archer for some odd reason.

borderlands-2_handsome-jack_large_verge_medium_landscape-600x300.jpg

They look real similar.

Davedough

I know its been said before, but I cant find it. When looking at shields, which are the best stats to look for? Is it recharge rate that's the best?

Stantron

Well I feel a little stupid for not paying attention to things on screen. PC version, Delete key is the sell items marked with an X button, but it only works while on the buy menu and not on the sell menu... Never noticed it showing sell trash on the buy menu, always switched to sell one and it's not shown there.

Good to know. This will come in very handy.

XeroSauce

Really? Honestly, I thought you were being sarcastic because I don't think those two pictures look alike at all. :lol

:/ Maybe it's just me. There was a post on Reddit that said the same thing, and it was like a lightbulb in my head, that's who I kept thinking Jack looks like when i see him.

I know its been said before, but I cant find it. When looking at shields, which are the best stats to look for? Is it recharge rate that's the best?

Recharge Delay > Recharge Rate > Capacity IN GENERAL. Of course there are cases where it's entirely the opposite (e.g. if you want your Maylay bonus to last as long as possible, if the rate and delay are really good but the capacity is so low that your shield wipes instantly..etc.)

Plasmid

I played a little of borderlands 1. And bought borderlands 2 after trading in games.

Is this game still going to be fun without coop? I'm worried I won't enjoy it lol.

Vodh

I played a little of borderlands 1. And bought borderlands 2 after trading in games.

Is this game still going to be fun without coop? I'm worried I won't enjoy it lol.

Played through 1 solo, was great for 1 playthrough. And this one is so good I don't even want to co-op, just want to pace myself through at least 1 playthrough to be able to freely explore and savour everything.

Also, made a Salvador. Will see how it goes.

Meier

I played a SHITLOAD of BL1 GOTY edition and never once did it co-op.. all solo. Loved the hell out of it. I'm playing the new one solo for now although I do intend to do some co-op. I think it's an excellent single player game.

Edit: I guess I "only" played it for 39 hours, but that's still a good bit of time. Maybe not a SHITLOAD though. ;)

The only reason I might co-op in this one is for the supposed better loot. Otherwise it's all solo at my own pace, opening every single box with a green glow on it.

Derrick01

Banned
*Finds new bandit area with some cool quests

*Gets side quest to kill 100 bandits after doing the whole area

It's like Zombie Island all over again! Though with considerably less things to kill thankfully.

nel e nel

*Finds new bandit area with some cool quests

*Gets side quest to kill 100 bandits after doing the whole area

It's like Zombie Island all over again! Though with considerably less things to kill thankfully.

1. Get 5 brains
2. Get 10 brains
3. Get 25 brains
4. Get 50 brains
5. Get 100 brains
6. Get 250 brains
7. Just keep getting brains, I'll tell you when to stop.

I remember having a lot of issues with Borderlands 1 (PS3 port issues aside), but I couldn't remember what they were up to the release of BL2 - the overall package was pretty fun and allowed me to forget the problems I had. Plus, co-op was fun as hell, even though voice chat rarely worked on PS3 - thanks Gamespy!

After spending quite a few hours with BL2 (on PC this time), I remember exactly what problems I had with BL1, because they haven't been addressed in BL2.
- Backtracking missions. There are way too many of them, and as a completionist, it's very draining.
- The writing. Absolutely cringe-worthy. The sequel is even worse, with memes getting crapped out at every opportunity. It's a 4chan-er's dream come true. "You just activated my trap card" Ha... oh, you're going to say that everytime I activate the skill? Okay. Time to switch characters. Axton still has a lame college kid "bro" thing going on (even though he looks about 40), but whatever. I'll take what I can get.
- The villain. Granted, I haven't finished the game yet, but Handsome Jack is quite possibly the lamest villain I've ever come across in all of media. However, I don't even remember who the villain in the first game was so I guess that's a step up?
- Dual stick driving. I know a lot of people are cool with it, but I've always disliked it, and I would have loved an option to change to more traditional driving controls. I'll manage.

That said, the gameplay is still very fun and I really love the FPS/RPG genre hybrid - it's great fun, especially in co-op. It's a shame that I can't enjoy the story or writing at all, though.

Teknoman

The only reason I might co-op in this one is for the supposed better loot. Otherwise it's all solo at my own pace, opening every single box with a green glow on it.

Its alot better, and then the enemies are harder...not to mention well done co-op is always tons of fun.

I remember having a lot of issues with Borderlands 1 (PS3 port issues aside), but I couldn't remember what they were up to the release of BL2 - the overall package was pretty fun and allowed me to forget the problems I had. Plus, co-op was fun as hell, even though voice chat rarely worked on PS3 - thanks Gamespy!

After spending quite a few hours with BL2 (on PC this time), I remember exactly what problems I had with BL1, because they haven't been addressed in BL2.
- Backtracking missions. There are way too many of them, and as a completionist, it's very draining.
- The writing. Absolutely cringe-worthy. The sequel is even worse, with memes getting crapped out at every opportunity. It's a 4chan-er's dream come true. "You just activated my trap card" Ha... oh, you're going to say that everytime I activate the skill? Okay. Time to switch characters. Axton still has a lame college kid "bro" thing going on (even though he looks about 40), but whatever. I'll take what I can get.
- The villain. Granted, I haven't finished the game yet, but Handsome Jack is quite possibly the lamest villain I've ever come across in all of media. However, I don't even remember who the villain in the first game was so I guess that's a step up?
- Dual stick driving. I know a lot of people are cool with it, but I've always hated it, and I would have loved an option to change to more traditional driving controls.

That said, the gameplay is still very fun and I really love the FPS/RPG genre hybrid - it's great fun, especially in co-op. It's a shame that I can't enjoy the story or writing at all, though.

Its supposed to be that stupid kind of funny, just go with it. Also i cant see anyone who didnt get at least a slight chuckle out of butt stallion, Claptrap poking fun at general WRPG quests, or "look like you headbutted a belt sander".

Its supposed to be that stupid kind of funny, just go with it. Also i cant see anyone who didnt get at least a slight chuckle out of butt stallion, Claptrap poking fun at general WRPG quests, or "look like you headbutted a belt sander".

Don't get me wrong, not every joke falls flat on its face in my eyes. Tiny Tina is hilarious, for one. But for every Tiny Tina, there's a hundred Scooters and Claptraps and it's hard for me to stomach.

Edit: Just realized there's two Jack quotes you put up. No, Jack is not funny at all. Lame is the word to describe him.

You laughed at that stuff? Really?

I don't know why they decided to riddle this game with shitty memes.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

Agree with both of these, in fact I did a mission earlier and the NPC then sent me right back to the area to basically clear it again. So lazy.

Don't think I like any of the characters to be honest, and I've had very few laughs.

Teknoman

Don't get me wrong, not every joke falls flat on its face in my eyes. Tiny Tina is hilarious, for one. But for every Tiny Tina, there's a hundred Scooters and Claptraps and it's hard for me to stomach.

Edit: Just realized there's two Jack quotes you put up. No, Jack is not funny at all. Lame is the word to describe him.

You laughed at that stuff? Really?

I don't know why they decided to riddle this game with shitty memes.

Not really laugh, just a kinda "heh". Not saying its comedic genius, but just the goofiness.

Insaniac

Well all you negative nancies can go return your game. I am enjoying this game thoroughly, everything about the gameplay in BL1 has been improved or fixed in this game, from weapon variety/effectiveness to item management. I've been playing single player and co-op and i've reached about level 20 with 2 characters and both so far have been fun. Every battle is pretty intense and its great that i can't really just run and gun through the battles i have to use my grenades, skills, and weapon types intelligently to get through battles with minimal damage and conserving my ammo.

bravo gearbox!

Salsa

I love the writing. It's 50 percent of what Borderlands is. I get why someone wouldnt like it (not a fan of the overuse of memes but still) but it would be a completely different game that wouldnt feel like a sequel without it.

Davedough

The only quests that are really annoying me right now are like this:

Go to these 4 points and kill X amount of Y.

So you go to all 4 points, kill everything and wind up 2 somethings short of completion, so you're driving around each of the 4 points waiting for something to respawn and it seems to take forever.

Meanwhile, you can clear an area one your way to something, turn around and everyone has already respawned back where you just came from.

Picked up a copy today. Didn't love Borderlands 1 but the tweaks and additions they made for 2 have made be give the franchise another shot. If I hate it, will trade in towards Dishonored.

HoosTrax

Im playing solo and loving it.
This is the type of game where I see myself playing solo at first, taking in the sights, doing quests at my own pace, listening to the dialogue, etc.

Then either starting from second playthrough or at max level, I see myself trying out co-op. I got 200 hours of BL1 solo, but stuff like max level Crawmerax runs sound fun.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I realize a good number of people aren't enjoying the bro/internet/meme/4-chan humor, but I love it. Like the Claptrap birthday party - I laughed pretty hard at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom