• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cackhyena

Don't get me wrong, not every joke falls flat on its face in my eyes. Tiny Tina is hilarious, for one. But for every Tiny Tina, there's a hundred Scooters and Claptraps and it's hard for me to stomach.

Edit: Just realized there's two Jack quotes you put up. No, Jack is not funny at all. Lame is the word to describe him.

Uh, no. The fuck did you think you were getting into, sour puss?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I burnt myself out. Can't touch it for a while.
Yeah I maxed out my SDU upgrades last night. My 43 hours vs your 38.

NG+ really forces you to use elemental weakness which I kind of don't like as it really limits me to using guns that I don't like the feel of, just for their elemental bonus.
It seems to scale massively in reductions and bonuses, so it's not some 1.5x thing, but rather like a 3x multiplier and a 1/5 dmg reduction if not using the 'correct' weapon. Lame. At least it's different.

cackhyena

Now now, no need to get all touchy because I don't laugh at award-winning jokes like Butt Stallion, the diamond horse.

I didn't laugh at it either, but the character has some chuckle worthy lines, imo. My point is this series is juvenile and in your face about it at every opportunity. Clearly not your bag. And no to your PhysX comment. Plenty more going on, but you seem to wanna just nit pick here, so whatevs.

You laughed at that stuff? Really?

I don't know why they decided to riddle this game with shitty memes.

I dunno, but to me - the "humor" in Borderlands is entertaining. It's filled with pop culture references and Internet memes that we're all used to, but I'll crack a smile for Gearbox since they tried.

Drazgul

Yeah I maxed out my SDU upgrades last night. My 43 hours vs your 38.

NG+ really forces you to use elemental weakness which I kind of don't like as it really limits me to using guns that I don't like the feel of, just for their elemental bonus.
It seems to scale massively in reductions and bonuses, so it's not some 1.5x thing, but rather like a 3x multiplier and a 1/5 dmg reduction if not using the 'correct' weapon. Lame. At least it's different.

What, so regular weapons are useless? That can't be right.

When you write it that way it's actually a really funny concept.

lol, I suppose in writing it may be. Recited by Jack, however... not so much.

Also, I'm only lvl 9, but Zero has only said the 'Trap card' line once.
Lucky you.
I was joking about that being the reason for switching characters, by the way. I just didn't like Zer0's skill - it was virtually useless when playing solo.

I didn't laugh at it either, but the character has some chuckle worthy lines, imo. My point is this series is juvenile and in your face about it at every opportunity. Clearly not your bag.
Clearly. It's just not my thing anymore.
And no to your PhysX comment. Plenty more going on, but you seem to wanna just nit pick here, so whatevs.
The PhysX pic was supposed to be a joke. It's obvious they just plastered some cloths wherever it might look good, and without a second thought (hence, the picture). The other PhysX effects are great, though. Well, except for red blood - it just looks weird.

I dunno, but to me - the "humor" in Borderlands is entertaining. It's filled with pop culture references and Internet memes that we're all used to, but I'll crack a smile for Gearbox since they tried.
Pity laughs, nice! :p

CTE

I'm fine with Zero so far. I'll play the whole thing before making a judgement. Don't see myself getting tired of him anytime soon, though. Just getting into the good perks now. Level 12.

As for Physx, I prefer medium over high. I still get a little liquid with medium and just enough particles along with cloth physics. Perfect balance compared to high IMO.

char0n

I was joking about that being the reason for switching characters, by the way. I just didn't like Zer0's skill - it was virtually useless when playing solo.

I actually found it very effective for soloing almost exactly the same way I used Lilith's phase-walk in 1, as a get out of jail free card: Shields down and about to be overwhelmed? Launch a deception one way, run and hide around a corner the other while you recharge shields/reload ammo. There's even a skill in the deception tree that causes your decoy to explode when you come out of deception really pushing the comparision though I don't know how effective it is. Better still if you go into the sniping tree use it to regain distance on enemies that get too close.

I'm lazy - is there a way to play Zero effectively without any melee?

I haven't tried them myself but with how awesome sniping is in this game without skills, I imagine sniping tree can eventually make it so you 1.5-shot badasses close to your level from well outside of effective enemy weapons range

Cronox

Banned
Hey guys, I have a steam code for Borderlands 2 that I'd like to sell for $42 (the 2 is for paypal fees) on paypal. Anyone interested? PM me if so.

eek5

I actually found it very effective for soloing almost exactly the same way I used Lilith's phase-walk in 1, as a get out of jail free card: Shields down and about to be overwhelmed? Launch a deception one way, run and hide around a corner the other while you recharge shields/reload ammo. There's even a skill in the deception tree that causes your decoy to explode when you come out of deception really pushing the comparision though I don't know how effective it is. Better still if you go into the sniping tree use it to regain distance on enemies that get too close.

It's an OK "get out of jail free card". It works sometimes but if something is AOEing where you deception then you're going to get hit anyway. I think if you just want to use it defensively like that gunzerker is much better since you regen health and ammo as well as get a defensive boost

Wallach

I'm lazy - is there a way to play Zero effectively without any melee?

For sure. The left tree (Sniper) is pretty sniper/crit damage focused and rewards good ranged positioning, and the middle tree (Cunning) is a more general DPS tree where you can stack a lot of gun damage bonuses. Tw0 Fang in particular works as a very powerful force multiplier when stacked with a lot of gun/crit damage bonuses. Haven't yet done hard build calcs like with BL1 since I'm still on my first playthrough but I wager that the highest DPS build you can reach with Zer0 is a build of mostly Cunning and a side of Sniper.

char0n

It's an OK "get out of jail free card". It works sometimes but if something is AOEing where you deception then you're going to get hit anyway. I think if you just want to use it defensively like that gunzerker is much better since you regen health and ammo as well as get a defensive boost

Well I don't JUST want to use it like that, just while I don't have any good perks to go with it yet (backstabs, the leap attack, deception chaining), this seems to be what it's best for (that and getting behind knight spiderants). I'm looking and I guess really banking that Zer0 is going to pay off in the long run, but yeah all the other characters seem to have much better abilities in the early game when you haven't gotten up to tier 3 skills.

I wish I had more time to put into this, for multiplayer I'd really like to roll a support-focused Maya (mostly harmony then decide if I want to focus on damage or survivability) as well. Gunzerker seems incredibly powerful/useful but kinda boring to me, and the only thing that's really wowed me that I've seen with Axton are the double-turret and the nuke but those are both end-of-tree skills, so who knows if I'll actually ever play those two.

Helscream

Banned
Well I just hit level 16 with Salvador last night. Just started off I am really starting to see the potential of the "Inconceivable" perk. The lower your shield/health gets the more likely you will not expend ammo when pulling the trigger. There are some weapons like "Jakobs" that have a high damage output and fast firing rate, but a small magazine. Last night as I was fighting Bad Maw I was taking a lot of damage. In the middle of the fight I was Gunzerking so I had a break-over shotgun in one hand and a grenade-launcher rifle in the other. My damage output became insane because I realized that because I got off like 9 shots with my shotgun before I had to reload (which you normally have to reload after every shot). I just remember Bad Maw going from 80% life to dead instantly.

I am sure there is more stuff I will discover with other perks as a level up, but I really like the idea of making certain perks a gamble. Like my damage output can soar through the roof when I can get off like 10 shots in a row with a low magazine weapon. Really have a blast with the Gunzerker.

Lilith's intro was really neat. Can't wait to see the other characters.

A lot of Zer0's strength doesn't show up until you get rising shot and execute at which point his damage shoots up exponentially. My rising shot when all the stacks are applied nearly doubles my damage. I've seen one of my executes 50,000 damage and I'm not even sure I have the most efficient. I don't have enough points to do it effectively yet, but with Unforseen and Many must fall you are getting a new exploding decoy each time you kill somebody.

dalin80

Banned
Is there anyway to switch back to the BL1 ingame interface, iam finding the BL2 weapons sorting etc to be chunky and annoying.

Razek

Banned
Well I don't JUST want to use it like that, just while I don't have any good perks to go with it yet (backstabs, the leap attack, deception chaining), this seems to be what it's best for (that and getting behind knight spiderants). I'm looking and I guess really banking that Zer0 is going to pay off in the long run, but yeah all the other characters seem to have much better abilities in the early game when you haven't gotten up to tier 3 skills.

I wish I had more time to put into this, for multiplayer I'd really like to roll a support-focused Maya (mostly harmony then decide if I want to focus on damage or survivability) as well. Gunzerker seems incredibly powerful/useful but kinda boring to me, and the only thing that's really wowed me that I've seen with Axton are the double-turret and the nuke but those are both end-of-tree skills, so who knows if I'll actually ever play those two.

Zero would be interesting to try with one of those massive shields that take away a bit of health and generally have slow recharge delays. Once it is gone, I suppose you could cloak out and let it come back, then resume the fight. The skill comes back fast enough that as long as you're not just running into enemies, it should keep you afloat.

(This isn't a suggestion, just me musing to myself about possible cool things to do with the characters)

Though just looking at this tree, two areas are devoted to melee and one is devoted to sniping. Luckily sniping is pretty open ended except for the last skill so any decent critical gun would suffice, like pistols.

Is there anyway to switch back to the BL1 ingame interface, iam finding the BL2 weapons sorting etc to be chunky and annoying.

I wish.

Zzoram

Zer0 kinda sucks. I'm strongly considering restarting as Maya. He's a melee class in a game with no melee weapons and only one melee attack.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Finished first playthrough as Zero.

Worst mob for me? Easily the Badass Pyro Thresher. I don't know what I was doing wrong but his first attack would always take away my entire shield and ~95% of my HP. Only way I could kill these things was to find a chokepoint they wouldn't pass that had cover on the other side for me to use.

...and of course Terramorphous is the baddest ass Thresher of them all, sigh.

Zer0 is melee? news to me. Oh right, I didn't spec any of the melee skills. I played him as a bullethose, for which he has plenty of nice skills. Brick was the same way(actually much worse), boring melee or useless rocket launchers.

Drazgul

^ Yeah fuck those badass threshers (I think you're actually supposed to fight them with a car, that AoE blast is just nuts).

Well I just hit level 16 with Salvador last night. Just started off I am really starting to see the potential of the "Inconceivable" perk. The lower your shield/health gets the more likely you will not expend ammo when pulling the trigger. There are some weapons like "Jakobs" that have a high damage output and fast firing rate, but a small magazine.

Oh yeah, it works wonders especially when you're fighting for your life. As long as there's a mob nearby (can't be too far because of the shotgun spread) you can literally blast away as quickly as your trigger finger allows, since you practically never need to reload. I've killed many bosses with this same strategy, you kill stuff so fast that you literally cannot die.

Zer0 kinda sucks. I'm strongly considering restarting as Maya. He's a melee class in a game with no melee weapons and only one melee attack.

I can't speak on Zero, but I'm having a blast with Maya. level 27 now, doing nothing but sidequests until I have to do the main mission.

I disagree, although I think Zer0 is a character that needs some levels under him for his mechanics to really pick up momentum. Essesntially, his melee is useless until you get the talents for it. Until then, it's sniper+deception all the way.

Alchemy

I enjoy Zero solo and while in game, but while reflecting on the game (while at work as to be as distracted as possible), Zero does disappoint. I think part of the issue is everyone except but Maya seems pretty generic at low levels. Everything is +% to this, +% to that and Maya has the coolest active skill by far.

I think I'm going to tough it out and keep on sniping though.

Dachande

Welp, I was on the fence with this all day, and then my friend told me how to get it from GMG with a 20% discount code, so the PC version came to £21 and I could stomach that. Hope I don't regret it, Borderlands 1 was fun unless you had to play on your own, and I should be okay as long as the people who also have it don't run away from me...

Joined the Steam GAF group too, so hopefully some of you on there will be playing.

Zzoram

Finished first playthrough as Zero.

Worst mob for me? Easily the Badass Pyro Thresher. I don't know what I was doing wrong but his first attack would always take away my entire shield and ~95% of my HP. Only way I could kill these things was to find a chokepoint they wouldn't pass that had cover on the other side for me to use.

...and of course Terramorphous is the baddest ass Thresher of them all, sigh.

Zer0 is melee? news to me. Oh right, I didn't spec any of the melee skills. I played him as a bullethose, for which he has plenty of nice skills. Brick was the same way(actually much worse), boring melee or useless rocket launchers.

Two of his skill trees are melee, and his active skill is for melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom