• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
>.<

Yeah but I was also running pretty close to the lowest end in terms of graphics settings. BL2 being newer means I generally have to expect SOME bump in minimal performance, which I am scared of. Stuff like the new menus I can see myself taking a performance hit from.

But yeah Gamespy is a piece of shit and I really can't see things getting worse, only better.

well heres hoping the bare bones code is more optimized so we wont take much of a hit.
Nah man, don't go cheap. What are your current specs, enzo?

his specs are fine. its just his vid card. that's literally the only thing holding him back. and the only reason i rec is a cheap card is because the next gen hardware is just around the corner. itd make more sense to get something then.

Fou-Lu

I like the fact that I can invest all my points into the Cataclysm tree without out it looking gimped on paper.

Mupod

Alright, wasn't the biggest fan of the first but I did beat it and my friend's getting the sequel so I won't have to be so lonely this time. Combined with the $36 thing on greenman I went for it.

I haven't paid attention to this game at all. Looking at builds right now...seems like they were almost scared of making Siren as good as she was last game but she just looks really weak now unless you want a healing kinda character. So I'm looking at Gunzerker instead...looks like it'd be hilarious just to dump a ton of points into gunlust and go around with some high damage shotguns or pistols abusing overkill/money shot. Well whatever, I'll figure something out.

Fou-Lu

Alright, wasn't the biggest fan of the first but I did beat it and my friend's getting the sequel so I won't have to be so lonely this time. Combined with the $36 thing on greenman I went for it.

I haven't paid attention to this game at all. Looking at builds right now...seems like they were almost scared of making Siren as good as she was last game but she just looks really weak now unless you want a healing kinda character. So I'm looking at Gunzerker instead...looks like it'd be hilarious just to dump a ton of points into gunlust and go around with some high damage shotguns or pistols abusing overkill/money shot. Well whatever, I'll figure something out.

You shouldn't underestimate the cataclysm tree.

Pingoreous

I haven't been able to find a single PS3 gameplay video. Even the official PSM UK previewed the game on Xbox360. I think this port might be a bad one.

Fou-Lu

This is what I'm thinking for my build at the moment:

Tkrk0.png

I was building all toward Motion but played around with Cataclysm tonight and damn, two more points and this build would be devastating. I am still pretty excited about trying this one out. It should be a Phaselock of mass destruction. Starting things with a Helios blast, pulling enemies in, slaging, electrocuting and corroding them as well as all my buffed gun damage bullets shot at this malestorm ricocheting to other enemies. Moreover, the slain will be jizzing out healing orbs.

-PXG-

I was building all toward Motion but played around with Cataclysm tonight and damn, two more points and this build would be devastating. I am still pretty excited about trying this one out. It should be a Phaselock of mass destruction. Starting things with a Helios blast, pulling enemies in, slaging, electrocuting and corroding them as well as all my buffed gun damage bullets shot at this malestorm ricocheting to other enemies. Moreover, the slain will be jizzing out healing orbs.

Motion plus Cataclysm is pretty nuts. I'm probably gonna go that route.

Anyone having problems with the skilltree on iPad? It work fine for me just yesterday, now I cant input anything past the first skill...

Mupod

yeah when I was trying to make a siren build I found myself always going very very heavily into cataclysm. But doing that makes me worried about survivability, although I will say that in the first game it was pretty goddamn hard to die as a siren in between melting everybody with fire SMGs. So maybe my expectations were too high.

speaking of survivability...does the gunzerker skill that lets you use gunzerking when downed actually restore you to half hp? Because that'd be silly.

Now looking into my Zer0 build for single player. Oh man, some tasty stuff with movement speed and melee while in Deception. This game is going to be fucking amazing with 4 players all in the higher levels.
Kv76Ml.jpg

I was discussing the first game with a friend and he reminded me of how tough the game was during that last area with the Guardians. During the second and third playthroughs all we could do is rely on a friend who played as Mordecai to snipe through the shields and usually kill them in one-shot. Even with really good weapons that did shock damage the rest of us felt pretty useless. Maybe we just sucked, but thinking back to that is making me want to play Zer0 and focus on the sniping tree.

Unicorn

maya.png

I'm thinking something along those lines. Migrating fiery acid cloud destroying entire mobs. I might swap out the reload first level skill in cataclysm for healing orbs from phaselock depending.
I was discussing the first game with a friend and he reminded me of how tough the game was during that last area with the Guardians. During the second and third playthroughs all we could do is rely on a friend who played as Mordecai to snipe through the shields and usually kill them in one-shot. Even with really good weapons that did shock damage the rest of us felt pretty useless. Maybe we just sucked, but thinking back to that is making me want to play Zer0 and focus on the sniping tree.

Just played a bit of BL1 on Steam and remembered where I stopped there. Fucking Mad Mel and the fucking car combat ring.

Every time I do that, I just die, spawn a new car and hang out by the ramp and snipe with rockets.

Teknoman

All the .99-$1 Borderland 2 codes on eBay are going up $30 in a matter of hours.

Some people don't know what snipe bidding is.

Damn snipers always pop me lol. I really need to learn the best way to do it...but then again i'd feel the seething rage from someone who lost out by 1 second, coming through my screen.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Mostly doing Cataclysm, haven't decided on what really to do with the other points, I guess it all decides on what my co-op buddies do. Might go heal, might put more points into the phaselock pools. We'll see how it goes, there are respecs afterall. ;)

BigDug13

Mostly doing Cataclysm, haven't decided on what really to do with the other points, I guess it all decides on what my co-op buddies do. Might go heal, might put more points into the phaselock pools. We'll see how it goes, there are respecs afterall. ;)

Maya will be respecing more than any other because she's 3 classes in one. You will respec based on situation and group makeup.

It's fun to look at her skills on the calculators, but there's no way you can lock yourself into a single spec with that class.

I just beat the original Borderlands for the first time moments ago! The game was fantastic, but there were also so many things that sucked about it. The constant brown desert setting, the fetch quests, the music, and the ending.

The sequel seems to vastly improve everything, meaning this could very well be one of the best games ever created. I am so pumped for Tuesday!

Now, to tide me over... should I get some Borderlands 1 DLC, or get Sleeping Dogs? The DLC is cheaper of course, but I don't want to totally burn myself out on the series before the new one drops. Decisions!

BigDug13

I just beat the original Borderlands for the first time moments ago! The game was fantastic, but there were also so many things that sucked about it. The constant brown desert setting, the fetch quests, the music, and the ending.

The sequel seems to vastly improve everything, meaning this could very well be one of the best games ever created. I am so pumped for Tuesday!

Now, to tide me over... should I get some Borderlands 1 DLC, or get Sleeping Dogs? The DLC is cheaper of course, but I don't want to totally burn myself out on the series before the new one drops. Decisions!

Sleeping Dogs is worth the playthrough, especially if you can get it on the cheap like on PC or something. But content is cheaper, like Knoxx.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Maya will be respecing more than any other because she's 3 classes in one. You will respec based on situation and group makeup.

It's fun to look at her skills on the calculators, but there's no way you can lock yourself into a single spec with that class.

Yeah, I'm focusing on Harmony with some Motion but depending on how the game progressing I may swap to Cataclysm if the healing is overkill.

red731

Soo any new videos or something to read somewhere?

I decidet that I will go with Zer0, with more sniper than melee build. That should kick ass!
u2IQS.png

I will still change something when I will be playing,

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Finally beat B1 today btw. After having my save deleted twice on the same part. Turns out it was right before the vault too. Now I have 53 hours clocked on B1. Never wanna play soldier or siren again. Or at least till B2 comes out =p

I decidet that I will go with Zer0, with more sniper than melee build. That should kick ass!
u2IQSs.png

Oh god all that orange. It hurts.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Thanks for the answers guys its much appreciated! Guess we will find out for sure once launch day comes rollin.

red731

Finally beat B1 today btw. After having my save deleted twice on the same part. Turns out it was right before the vault too. Now I have 53 hours clocked on B1. Never wanna play soldier or siren again. Or at least till B2 comes out =p

Oh god all that orange. It hurts.

tobias.jpg

blue is green in this case
Should I....? Don't look at me like that!

ed: I am min maxer too, but in case of this game and so much to choose from, I choose the way of balance and still, we can respec anytime we want.

Edgeward

I can't really make myself not max out skills. Min maxer at heart. But I can see how the optimal build certain skills don't need that much points put into them. Gonna be hard to see orange in my tree.

Papercuts

I don't like seeing orange in the tree but I would never pass on the 1/1 skills, so I'll take any of those I can get to even if it effects some I can pump up.

Erekiddo

11 pages of replies, so if this was previously talked about, I apologize.

Where is everyone preordering this? I've had mine set at Amazon for some time for the Premiere Club access, but I just found out Microsoft's store is offering 1600 points for preordering.

Does anyone know if you get access to the Premiere Club if obtaining this from Microsoft's store?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

Where is everyone preordering this? I've had mine set at Amazon for some time for the Premiere Club access, but I just found out Microsoft's store is offering 1600 points for preordering.

Does anyone know if you get access to the Premiere Club if obtaining this from Microsoft's store?
Might wanna check if any in stock first.

Papercuts

Yea but me and him have the same 1/1 skills but mine is green and mix of crits and backstabs.

Yeah, the way you have yours is a lot like I would make mine. I guess it's more of a tradeoff to get to the bottom sniper skill and execute you can't pump points into both trees as much unless you spread it like that.

You don't get the Club with that, some people from CAG asked the support about it. They still have other stuff(Dishonored, Assassin's Creed 3, etc.) that the deal works with atleast.

Gotchaye

Those last sniper skills are definitely neat, but I just can't stay away from Rising Shot and Two Fang. The Cunning tree as a whole is packed so full of unique multiplicative damage boosts (+20% ambush, +20% death mark, +30% two fang) that Zero can deliver Gunzerking-level damage (+87% total) upon appearing out of Deception, even before all of the regular bonuses to gun damage and crit damage from other skills.

Obviously if it really is feasible to run up hundreds of stacks on Critical Ascension, no other skill tree (and no other class) is going to be competitive, but for now I like going all the way down Cunning and then picking up Bore.

Although the more I look at the skill trees for all the classes the more I think I'm going to be respeccing a lot as I level up. With Zero, maybe I start out in Sniping until I have enough total points to go all the way to Execute, then maybe back to Sniping until I have enough points to respec everything into Many Must Fall, and then finally I'd go SMG-crazy with full Cunning, Bore, and as many Badass points in Fire Rate as possible (Fire Rate being something that Zero has very few skill bonuses for).

So this is my plan for the Gunzerker. I want to be moving around fast while frequently Gunzerking. I really want to use "Keep Firing" but I know I'll find a mod that will add points into skills which will free up points to put elsewhere.

90DOv.jpg

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Played a nice co-op session with some co-workers :)

For Zer0 melee fans.. Just remember it starts slow until it becomes godly :p

Also for those interested... The Borderlands 2 Soundtrack is on iTunes and the preview clips are available on the music. This isn't all the music in the game but it is a handful. Some of the names for the songs are spoilerish so just a warning. But if you are interesting in hearing ... take a listen. The soundtrack in BL2 is on a totally different level from the 1st :)

Jesper Kyd, Cris Velasco and Sascha Dikiciyan helped compose like the first game. They've done Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect soundtracks.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/borderlands-2-original-soundtrack/id559972271

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom