• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
They clearly heard the complaints about lack of story in the first game. This one is bursting with it. I thought I was done with Tiny Tina, but while doing a later mission in the game I came across an Echo that was a firsthand recording of what made her who she is. Great stuff.

Yeah for once I actually want to find and collect these audio recordings in a game. It seems like after Bioshock started the trend everyone copied but they did it just for achievements and they forgot to make it interesting. Humor and decent writing goes a long way towards making things interesting, take notes devs.

ironcreed

Banned
They clearly heard the complaints about lack of story in the first game. This one is bursting with it. I thought I was done with Tiny Tina, but while doing a later mission in the game I came across an Echo that was a firsthand recording of what made her who she is. Great stuff.

That is what I like to hear. I'll probably end up giving this one a go here before too long. From all I am seeing and hearing, it looks like what I wanted the first one to be.

2012092300002g.jpg

which of these 2 would you equip?

On the Left: 2800 shields / 1800 HP, 5 second recharge delay

On the Right: 1900 shields / 2500 HP, 3 second recharge delay

Opinions pleze.

Mupod

In terms of solo-ability this game is definitely more rough than the first (somewhat in a good way). There are certain quests and challenges that seem geared towards having multiple characters in your party. Borderlands 1 had scattershot sections like this, but most of them were in the late-game DLC. Overall though, the bump in difficulty and a more varied world make the whole package feel more friendly to solo players.

I don't think I ever died in the first game outside of the Mad Mel fight and maybe falling off a cliff once or twice. Granted I played a Siren but still, game was piss easy.

Borderlands 2 on the other hand, while I feel like I've almost broken the game with my current Gunzerker spec it's still very possible to get killed. Although my last death was solely because I was trying to do a bunch of bonus objectives.

Razek

Banned
That is what I like to hear. I'll probably end up giving this one a go here before too long. From all I am seeing and hearing, it looks like what I wanted the first one to be.

I'd say the story is the best improvement overall.

It went from:

BL1: One of the worst told stories in a well received game.
BL2: Probably one of my favorite VG stories.

It's not masterful, but it doesn't take itself too seriously like way too many games do these days. It's cliche, but not annoyingly cliche.

2012092300002g.jpg

which of these 2 would you equip?

On the Left: 2800 shields / 1800 HP, 5 second recharge delay

On the Right: 1900 shields / 2500 HP, 3 second recharge delay

Opinions pleze.

~1000 shield at that point of the game is only 1 or 2 more bullet blocks, so I would take the faster recharge.

The huge jump in shield and grenade tech from game 1 to game 2 is awesome. I have a shield that sometimes ejects instant shield regens when I get hit that can be used by me or my co-op partners. Grenades are now just insane. I love the homing grenades that burst, spit out a ton of little ones that fly around tracking enemies and slagging them and stealing some health for me.

They clearly heard the complaints about lack of story in the first game. This one is bursting with it.

Unfortunately they don't let you skip any of it, not the cutscenes, and they force you to wait around and listen to audio all the time. At least they let you skip past this stuff in games like Diablo, here they are stuck in the ps1 era where nothing can be skipped. Sitting around listening to dull dialogue and waiting for scripting to kick in is really tiresome in playthrough 2.

Grisby

Oh wow, that was a fun moment.

Er, right after a train part spoilers;
Seeing the city float up was neat and I got a laugh at 'Sup'.

You never see anything like that in the original Borderlands. Although loot can fly halfway across the map sometimes, which is annoying.

Razek

Banned
Unfortunately they don't let you skip any of it, not the cutscenes, and they force you to wait around and listen to audio all the time. At least they let you skip past this stuff in games like Diablo, here they are stuck in the ps1 era where nothing can be skipped.

They for some reason disabled skipping in single player. You can skip in multiplayer.

Yeah for once I actually want to find and collect these audio recordings in a game. It seems like after Bioshock started the trend everyone copied but they did it just for achievements and they forgot to make it interesting. Humor and decent writing goes a long way towards making things interesting, take notes devs.

Really? I thought the Bioshock diaries were great. They shouldn't have been funny, it was showing all of the little things in the downfall of Rapture. I thought they interesting.

Aurongel

Really? I thought the Bioshock diaries were great. They shouldn't have been funny, it was showing all of the little things in the downfall of Rapture. I thought they interesting.

He was making the point that other developers copied Bioshock's style of ambient story telling with the audio diaries. His point was that many of these copycats lacked the interesting story hook (Bioshock) or the humor (Borderlands 2) to make their versions of audio diaries interesting.

EDIT:
Upgraded from Junior status, whoo :3

abundant

I'd say the story is the best improvement overall.

It went from:

BL1: One of the worst told stories in a well received game.
BL2: Probably one of my favorite VG stories.

It's not masterful, but it doesn't take itself too seriously like way too many games do these days. It's cliche, but not annoyingly cliche.

This + the amount of dialogue are the two biggest improvements. A lot of side quests tell little stories now that are fun to listen to rather then the generic Go Here - Collect This/Kill That - Turn in side quests from the first one.

Hanzou

So what benefit do you get for completing sub objectives on certain quests? For example the mission where you have to assassinate the four bandits in that power plant by killing them with melee, a shotgun etc. Is it just bonus XP?

Raide

Zero's Skill + waiting till the last second to head-shot someone = Best Feeling Ever.

I think I made a mistake with Axton by not doing the early side stuff and getting some better gear/a few more levels. Might grind him a bit and see what happens but I am loving Zero so far.

Ilive1up

i feel like i'm leveling up too much in borderlands 2.

most of my missions are trivial, even the main objective is grayed out.

anyone else the same? i'm doing work for tiny tina, level 18 and the missions are around level 13 difficulty.

Raxus

~1000 shield at that point of the game is only 1 or 2 more bullet blocks, so I would take the faster recharge.
What puzzles me is how he hasn't found a better shield yet.

Spike, Amp and Nova shields are all great for Maya. Elemental resist shields are great for everyone.

bob page

This has probably already been discussed, but what's the preferred console platform for this? My PC can't max it out so I wasn't sure if there were any discernible differences between the 360/PS3 versions. Was planning to go with the PS3 version since I don't feel like renewing Live. Judging by the Lens of Truth comparison, the PS3 version definitely looks sharper.

Derrick01

Banned

They were but after that game every damn game had to have some kind of audio collectible and it was almost always a chore since they weren't funny or well written. They were fantastic in this game and I didn't even find them all, but I'm making it a priority for playthrough 2. I particularly like the ones where Jack is talking to someone.

Spike, Amp and Nova shields are all great for Maya. Elemental resist shields are great for everyone.

My Maya has an electrical spike shield. I love how those dumb bandits try to run up to me to melee, then they get shocked and spaz out, lol.

Randdalf

Just done the Bandit Slaughterhouse quest with some friends... took a while, but it was actually quite fun, making all the goliaths fight each other is pretty funny. You can then get an Ultimate Badass Towering Goliath like we did. Does anyone else have an ethic like we do where we have to complete all the sidequests before we do the story mission?

Zzoram

This has probably already been discussed, but what's the preferred console platform for this? My PC can't max it out so I wasn't sure if there were any discernible differences between the 360/PS3 versions. Was planning to go with the PS3 version since I don't feel like renewing Live. Judging by the Lens of Truth comparison, the PS3 version definitely looks sharper.

What is your PC, and are you sure?

My Core 2 Duo E8400 with an HD4870 512MB runs the game 1680x1050 all settings high/on with PhysX on Medium just fine.

Any build suggestions for Zer0? I mainly solo :(

Sniper tree exclusively IMO. Melee is too hard to use as well as sniping.

dubq

Supposedly the 360 version has frame rate issues. PS3 has a tiny bit of screen tear, but its barely noticeable. I saw a side by side comparison video and it also looks like the PS3 version has less anti-aliasing but sharper colors compared to the 360 version.

Spike shields = eat shit Raks. I love it, I just hold still and leg those twats fly into me and they burst into flames and die. The shields and grenades are so much better in this game it's nuts.

Wallach

So are dark purple and light purple two separate loot tiers? I found a pistol that is a brighter shade than the other purple weapons I've picked up.

KingKong

I started a new char Salvatore and gave him max level and skill points and its hilarious. I dont think its possible to get every skill legit, but it makes gunzerking feel incredible. Kinda wish I could scale the whole game to be 50+ and play like that

Razek

Banned

I'm assuming it's because of the single player. I noticed the loot quality was pretty bad during my single player game compared to my multiplayer one. I was getting stuff in single player comparable to to things in coop I was getting 5 levels earlier.

Also, I would never equip a shield that has more than 2.5 recharge delay unless it was just absurdly huge, like 3000+.

bonesquad

Damn I hate those adult variety varkids. The shit they spit just wrecks me, and I can't find any reliable way to dodge. I gave up on a few side quests, but then on the main quest ran into
Wilhelm
who fucks me up too. No matter how many times I kill his little friends they come right back. Man I suck at this game:(

On the plus side, count me as a Tiny Tina fan. BL2 does try too hard sometimes with its humor, but overall I find the game's character interaction quite enjoyable.

FtHTiny

My group just finished our playthrough.
Great game without any kind of major bugs or annoyances. Even the story this is pretty decent.

I still love my infinite ammo pistol but I really wish there were more weapons that use it. Like if it were a very rare part in purple weapons.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
i feel like i'm leveling up too much in borderlands 2.

most of my missions are trivial, even the main objective is grayed out.

anyone else the same? i'm doing work for tiny tina, level 18 and the missions are around level 13 difficulty.
Yeah, I had the same problem. I ended up just skipping side missions and rushing through the story stuff till they were difficult again. It's unfortunate, but I ended up playing most of the missions I skipped with a second character in co-op.

What is the deal with all these safes in the world that have a T on them (and a green light). When you click on them the light turns red and it makes a locked sound.

EDIT: WOW i just tried hitting the lock with melee and it works! (missed about 10 before this)

Paertan

Loving this but one thing is very annoying. The dialog keeps getting interrupted. By NPCs and other players. Can I replay dialogues in some way? Or is my only option youtube? Or replaying the game.

legbone

Any build suggestions for Zer0? I mainly solo :(

go sniper until you have enough skill points to get to the end of a tree. then try out the bloodshed and cunning (i think that's the name) trees. i think sniper helps solo but the other trees are really cool once you can get to the end of the tree. then you can try out each one to see what you like best. also by the time you get that many skill points you should have a shield that will make the melee route much easier. early shields aren't really worth a shit.

HoosTrax

This game seems about as playable as the first game was on my laptop (first gen mobile Core 2 Duo + NV Quadro version of the 9800GTX ). I have to dial a lot of things back to keep the thing from throttling constantly due to overheating, but it's still playable.

Btw, I'm surprised that XBL doesn't have a cloud screenshot feature. So that we don't have to look at people's cell phone pictures of their TV screens :s

Can I keep doing quests after I beat the game?
You can, but unless it's to unlock a specific achievement, I wouldn't bother. Playthrough 2 seems to have better loot quality.

KePoW

Banned
I started a new char Salvatore and gave him max level and skill points and its hilarious. I dont think its possible to get every skill legit, but it makes gunzerking feel incredible. Kinda wish I could scale the whole game to be 50+ and play like that

Hacking your character to be instantly maxed everything? How is that fun, I just don't get that.

KePoW

Banned
Loving this but one thing is very annoying. The dialog keeps getting interrupted. By NPCs and other players. Can I replay dialogues in some way? Or is my only option youtube? Or replaying the game.

Pretty much. If you want to hear all the quest dialogs and side chat, then you need to play solo.

Paertan

Pretty much. If you want to hear all the quest dialogs and side chat, then you need to play solo.

Hm propably gonna play solo or with friend with lower level until I beat the game. Then go over to mp.
Too bad. Only thing I don´t love about this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom