• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

Fake Edit* I am a level 23 Gunzerker and have $26,000. What should I do with it? Slot machines?

I've yet to find an orange gun :(

Only mess with slots if you want Eridium. I've probably dropped 150k on them and I've never even gotten a purple weapon from them, but I've maxed out most of my important SDUs now and I'm only 27.

Quitting and reloading in sanctuary then checking vending machines (gunzerker speed boost skill helped here) got me a better class mod, a nice sniper rifle and a good shield. Plus I met Michael a few times and he gave me some purple guns.

Yesterday in the Wildlife mission me and a buddy got our first legendary drop. I let him have it, it was a tediore shotgun, that will sort of roam the area and follow enemies once you reload, and still shoots while flying (before exploding too of course). It was funny (and useful) to use when a few minutes later 3 to 4 loot midgets of various types appeared from a chest, we hid in a corner and let the shotgun do its job in the next room.

By the way there are a lot of legendaries that I haven't seen many people discover. Though one of my favorites is "The Deliverance" which I've seen a few discover (Not sure if anyone on GAF has it)

maybe it's the one I described just above?

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Yesterday in the Wildlife mission me and a buddy got our first legendary drop. I let him have it, it was a tediore shotgun, that will sort of roam the area and follow enemies once you reload, and still shoots while flying (before exploding too of course). It was funny (and useful) to use when a few minutes later 3 to 4 loot midgets of various types appeared from a chest, we hid in a corner and let the shotgun do its job in the next room.

You got the Deliverance! The one I was speaking about earlier :)

Megasoum

Banned
Fucking Highlands Timed quest.... worst quest design ever.

Oh and I got "Extra Large Deliverance" in Moxxi's slot machine the other day. Never really used it cause I already had better stuff.

HoosTrax

Any other Siren players finding Sub-Sequence kind of underwhelming? Mainly the fact that when the Phaselock jumps to another enemy, it takes several seconds to do so, but the Phaselock timer doesn't reset, so it just Phaselocks the next enemy really briefly.

Should bosses be really... really hard as a gunzerker early on? I'm trying to kill Doc Mercy and if he hits me at all my shields are drained really quick and I'm almost dead. Then I am dead.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm a level 12 ninja and I can't for the life of me defeat that bastard Doc Mercy. He completely fucks me up with his stupid grenade launcher thing and his shield makes it very hard to shoot him. I use deception and get behind him to melee him but he doesn't take that much damage and he regenerates it anyway. This is the first time I've been stuck like this. Help me kill this bastard, please.

Has someone figured out Moxxi's tip jar? I seem to find different reports about what it does. I threw in 10k and got the achievement, and nothing else. Others report getting a purple from her, and others two guns from her.

Is there a structure to it, or just random luck?

Megasoum

Banned
Has someone figured out Moxxi's tip jar? I seem to find different reports about what it does. I threw in 10k and got the achievement, and nothing else. Others report getting a purple from her, and others two guns from her.

Is there a structure to it, or just random luck?

It's achi at 10k, gun at 20k and another gun at 30k if I rememember correctly.

Arucardo

I've been scanning some of the QR codes I've come across too, ones that come to mind right now is finding the postcard with "HO OH" that was in Borderlands 1 too and Moxxi's pizza with a "Picard" quote.

LkPr

Should bosses be really... really hard as a gunzerker early on? I'm trying to kill Doc Mercy and if he hits me at all my shields are drained really quick and I'm almost dead. Then I am dead.

I had A LOT of issues with him too, as Commando. I eventually beat him by draining at least half his life long range with a sniper rifle then i basically ran circles around that thing (can't remember what it was) and shot at him when I could...

Gaspode_T

Isn't this exactly what you're not supposed to do, and something that can lead to a ban? Using VPN to bypass regional pricing.

You'll probably only get a warning for it if it's your first time, but you can avoid drawing the ire of Steam by paying an Aussie to buy it for you and gifting the game to you.

ToS:

Gah, that sucks but it doesn't make sense that they would delay the game for someone who bought the game but moved countries (which is what the Aussie guy is proclaiming he did). Actually that guy had it installed and playable but then Steam starts blocking from Japan IP

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I had A LOT of issues with him too, as Commando. I eventually beat him by draining at least half his life long range with a sniper rifle then i basically ran circles around that thing (can't remember what it was) and shot at him when I could...

I find this funny. I had absolutely no issue with him, I didn't even know i had killed him till it was already done (commando).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Any other Siren players finding Sub-Sequence kind of underwhelming? Mainly the fact that when the Phaselock jumps to another enemy, it takes several seconds to do so, but the Phaselock timer doesn't reset, so it just Phaselocks the next enemy really briefly.

My build was based off this skill, but if it sucks, I'm going to do pour points into the Other tree now (for elemental boosts) and just get to a happy point in that tree, ha.

Jac_Solar

Hey guys, I was wondering, does anyone know how many unique weapon *models* (Mesh models.) there are in the game (Approx.)? They've been claiming there are a gazilion guns, or something like that, which is obviously an exaggeration, but have they actually mentioned how many different models there are?

Different colors or stats doesn't do much for variety when it comes to the models, and guns with different statistics and colors should not be counted as different or add to the total, in my opinion. It's nice, of course, but in terms of "how many different guns are there in total?" it shouldn't count.

And is the gameworld/map large? I've already bought it (Haven't really started playing it yet though.), but I'm just curious.

Megasoum

Banned
Ok I'm with you guys, the ammount of suicidal enemies is terrible in the game.

I think the idea of the whole "Second wind" system is amazing (and I'm really surprised nobody else copied it) but it kinda cancel itself when half the enemies are suicidal and you are left with nothing to second wind on.....ugh...

FtHTiny

maybe it's the one I described just above?

That sounds amazing.

I think the idea of the whole "Second wind" system is amazing (and I'm really surprised nobody else copied it) but it kinda cancel itself when half the enemies are suicidal and you are left with nothing to second wind on.....ugh...
Just run away when they get stop near you. I usually avoid them and if you have a decent shield and leveled correctly it should never kill you in one hit.

HoosTrax

My build was based off this skill, but if it sucks, I'm going to do pour points into the Other tree now (for elemental boosts) and just get to a happy point in that tree, ha.
Yeah I guess I was just putting it out there to see if anyone else has found it more useful or found that it synergizes well with something else. I was kind of disappointed that it can't be used for a massive chain reaction of ownage, since the total Phaselock time always stays the same (7 secs max with no external bonuses?) and a lot of it is wasted in the Phaselock transfer animation.

As it is, I'm finding Reaper (Cataclysm - Tier 4 skill) fairly useful, especially with sniper rifles, along with standard stuff like Accelerate + Mind's Eye. Kind of been playing around with the Tier 1 -Tier 3 Cataclysm skills to see which ones are more useful to build up to for Reaper.

Gorillaz

Doc mercy is the one fight i felt was too harsh on young levels....most people included me just drag him back by where i left my vehicle...then used its guns to kill him

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys I need help... I have this quest marker for the quest "Best Mother's Day ever" on my map but it points to a mountain... I looked everywhere and I can't find the yellow ! anywhere...

4F8194EFD0E6998EEC16414971B37F5349A542E4

Derrick01

Banned
Just finished it at level 34. Played the whole game solo and really enjoyed it for the most part. It starts slow but really picks up after that first area and it was a relatively funny game, sometimes trying too hard but it was still funnier than almost every video game.

Alienups

I'm at 140 second winds now lol

I haven't had any issues with the suiciders. They're easy to kill or avoid since they always stop and take some time before they explode. The suiciding robots are tougher, but still not bad.

I don't remember if it was like this in the first game, but I love how the more health you take away from most enemies, the slower they get, and it's more of a struggle for them to fight.

abundant

As it is, I'm finding Reaper (Cataclysm - Tier 4 skill) fairly useful, especially with sniper rifles, along with standard stuff like Accelerate + Mind's Eye. Kind of been playing around with the Tier 1 -Tier 3 Cataclysm skills to see which ones are more useful to build up to for Reaper.

The best build for Cataclysm IMO is Flicker, Helios, and Chain Reaction. Flicker is obvious if you use elemental weapons, Helios becomes real strong with certain Class Mods, and Chain Reaction is up there with Reaper and Ruin. Phaselocking a Goliath, pumping him with extra fire damage and watching everyone else around him also get hit with the fire bullets is so good.

Cataclysm + Class Mods + Elemental Weapons = OP. At level 23, I can Phaselock a level 24 Bad Ass and kill him before Phaselock ends and that's without head shots.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The best build for Cataclysm IMO is Flicker, Helios, and Chain Reaction. Flicker is obvious if you use elemental weapons, Helios becomes real strong with certain Class Mods, and Chain Reaction is up there with Reaper and Ruin. Phaselocking a Goliath, pumping him with extra fire damage and watching everyone else around him also get hit with the fire bullets is so good.

I think I'm going to respec around 28-30 to explore options like this. It's a lot like my first build idea before I thought Phaselock would be super sick with load of points in that tree.

Dizzy-4U

I think I found a bug. If you have 2 controllers plugged in to the PC and you start the game with the second controller, when you go in-game the auto-save logo doesn't go away, and you can't fast travel or leave the game (it stays in the saving screen). If I unplug one, it works fine.

Can anyone double check this?

I have a wired 360 controller plugged to the PC as controller 1 and a wireless receiver with a wireless 360 controller as controller 2.

2 controller plugged in the PC......crazy I know. ADD SPLITSCREEN!!! DAMMIT GEARBOX!

Dorrin

Having played a few hours in all 4 classes I'm thinking about going back to Axton. I just did the first few quests in Sanctuary with Zero, around level 12 ish specced in the sniper tree and it works... deception shotgun blast is nice as well.

However I'm not really feeling it, it is enjoyable but slightly off for me... I think he might be better as cunning or bloodshed spec and make him my public coop character, I'd be up closer to the action and ninja looting would be less of an issue(instance based loot please Gearbox).

Sal is interesting I just found having a fully auto and semi-auto annoying to do, pull the trigger on this side, fan the trigger on the other. I think matching up two like weapons would work much better, haven't tried it yet though.

Maya is great and I'm using her as a support build when I play with son via split screen(thank you for this option Gearbox).

RedSwirl

It's semi openworld with a quest/side quest set up.

I love it and I thought the first was kind of meh. First game in months close to a year I really dug....it's weird cause like I said I wasn't that big of a fan of the first.

Red box it(if you live in USA) for a day or 2 and go from there

The only reason I didn't buy the first game was because I already had enough loot games on my plate. Now the situation isn't as crowded and I wanted to try out an Xbox rental copy even though I would likely buy the game on PC.

I dunno. I'll probably pounce on this at the first sign of a sale.

Edit: For some reason now I am looking at Russian CD Keys of this game for like $25. The say the Russian version is region-free. Anybody tried this?

I mistakenly used my golden key and then tried to reset before it saved... (a friend had done this and it worked out okay, according to him)... apparently, I was too slow; on reload, the chest was locked and my key was gone.

Is there any easy way to get another key? (xbox360)

Palabrah

I think I found a bug. If you have 2 controllers plugged in to the PC and you start the game with the second controller, when you go in-game the auto-save logo doesn't go away, and you can't fast travel or leave the game (it stays in the saving screen). If I unplug one, it works fine.

Can anyone double check this?

I have a wired 360 controller plugged to the PC as controller 1 and a wireless receiver with a wireless 360 controller as controller 2.

2 controller plugged in the PC......crazy I know. ADD SPLITSCREEN!!! DAMMIT GEARBOX!

I got the same error and i guess that explains what happened! I lost a ton of progress to this

I mistakenly used my golden key and then tried to reset before it saved... (a friend had done this and it worked out okay, according to him)... apparently, I was too slow; on reload, the chest was locked and my key was gone.

Is there any easy way to get another key? (xbox360)

Go into Extras in the main menu and sign up for that Gearbox site. They'll give you another gear.

ironcreed

Banned
So is this better for going solo than the first one? From all of the footage and reviews I am getting the impression that it has a much better world and does not feel as flat. Which is kind of what killed it for me last time about halfway in.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Did anyone else recall STALKER when you first meet the weapons vendor in person? His little hole at the bottom of the stairs, the cage, the accent, etc. It's very similar to the very first area in STALKER.

So is this better for going solo than the first one?
100% better.

I found Borderlands 1 to be quite a chore in single player and never finished it. The environment, level design, and core gun play are all much MUCH better than the original. The shanty towns with walkways cris-crossing every which way add a lot of depth to the combat.

They clearly heard the complaints about lack of story in the first game. This one is bursting with it. I thought I was done with Tiny Tina, but while doing a later mission in the game I came across an Echo that was a firsthand recording of what made her who she is. Great stuff.

Aurongel

So is this better for going solo than the first one? From all of the footage and reviews I am getting the impression that it has a much better world and does not feel as flat. Which is kind of what killed it for me last time about halfway in.

In terms of solo-ability this game is definitely more rough than the first (somewhat in a good way). There are certain quests and challenges that seem geared towards having multiple characters in your party. Borderlands 1 had scattershot sections like this, but most of them were in the late-game DLC. Overall though, the bump in difficulty and a more varied world make the whole package feel more friendly to solo players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom