• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jac_Solar

Wow you really won't let that go do you? You've been asking that for like 4 pages now.

As far as I know there's not even full gun models in the game (except for some uniques I assume). It's all modular parts. So x numbers of stock combined with y number of scopes combined with z number of barrels etc etc. And you add the different manufacturer charactiristic in there and you got a shit ton of possibilities.

I guess they could give us a number on how many of each gun parts there is in the game but that would still not give you the info you are looking for.

Well, no one answered my first post, so I posted another -- that's it! I'm just curious about the content.

Yeah, I remember reading, somewhere, that Borderlands 1 had a unique procedural modular system, but I've not found come across anything more than that -- just the statement of the system, more or less.

Procedural generation in games, especially with high-quality 3d models, is extremely interesting, and it'd be great if more developers explored some procedural tech -- with some more research and development, procedural tech could greatly increase the amount of (fun.) content in games.

Why would they assume the number of models is a big part of Borderlands? You're mixing up your extrapolating. Does the average person care about texture resolution and polygon count too?

People want a wide variety of guns though -- it's part of what makes the loot hunt so much fun. There are a few articles/teases/previews by various gaming sites/people that focus solely on the weapons of Borderlands, and the developers have pointed out the variety of weapons in ads many, many times.

That's a silly thing to harp about. There are plenty of different guns and most of time, they all behave in different ways.

Also, I wish you could fly a Buzzard. :|

Isn't there some sort of flying vehicle you can pilot, though?

Each weapon is made of up to 14 components if I remember correctly. There are several different variations of each component, not all weapons use all 14 component types, and there are incompatible types as well. Including different textures, there should be several thousand different looking weapons (I'm not sure anyone, including Gearbox, ever did the math), but the differences are often subtle. Even many "unique" weapons, while still recognizable, come in lots of slightly different versions.

Thanks man.

Razek

Banned
That's why you always, always, use the trade system to show people loot.

Aw, come'on. Throwing stuff was such a fun part of the first game!
Yeah, we totally learned that point the hard way. We never throw stuff anymore.

Well, no one answered my first post, so I posted another -- that's it! I'm just curious about the content.

Yeah, I remember reading, somewhere, that Borderlands 1 had a unique procedural modular system, but I've not found come across anything more than that -- just the statement of the system, more or less.

Procedural generation in games, especially with high-quality 3d models, is extremely interesting, and it'd be great if more developers explored some procedural tech -- with some more research and development, procedural tech could greatly increase the amount of (fun.) content in games.

People want a wide variety of guns though -- it's part of what makes the loot hunt so much fun. There are a few articles/teases/previews by various gaming sites/people that focus solely on the weapons of Borderlands, and the developers have pointed out the variety of weapons in ads many, many times.

If you are really really interested, your best bet is google.

There are plenty of base models, that of which have modified pieces that stem off of it. The initial game had specific parts that added modifiers to the guns, they were indeed modeled. This time to a higher degree. I can't say for sure how many exact models (again, google), but there are certainly enough along with brand and generic skins that guns are generally unique.

Jac_Solar

If you are really really interested, your best bet is google.

There are plenty of base models, that of which have modified pieces that stem off of it. The initial game had specific parts that added modifiers to the guns, they were indeed modeled. This time to a higher degree. I can't say for sure how many exact models (again, google), but there are certainly enough along with brand and generic skins that guns are generally unique.

Yeah, I've done some searches on the amount/info on weapons in Borderlands 2 from time to time, but I haven't found anything -- so, I thought I'd ask here as well.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ok, I'm noticing bullets going through enemies and doing no damage. Seems to happen most with grenade/rocket type guns. Shit is annoying as hell.

Randdalf

Apparently I've found 2 orange coloured weapons... pity that I didn't notice that because I can't tell the difference between them and green weapons (which I thought were yellow). Colour blindness doesn't go well with games like this. I also can't tell which weapons are blue and which are purple, I just assume the darker ones are purple.

HoosTrax

Apparently I've found 2 orange coloured weapons... pity that I didn't notice that because I can't tell the difference between them and green weapons (which I thought were yellow). Colour blindness doesn't go well with games like this. I also can't tell which weapons are blue and which are purple, I just assume the darker ones are purple.
They're naturally sorted in your backpack such that the rarest quality is at the top. So the orange ones should be at the top, with some blue/purple ones between them and the greens.

Randdalf

They're naturally sorted in your backpack such that the rarest quality is at the top. So the orange ones should be at the top, with some blue/purple ones between them and the greens.

That's useful to know. I've only recently got into the habit of picking up expensive looking weapons, so previously, a lot of the time they didn't get into my backpack because I dismissed them as common.

MrDaravon

Finally beat the game at a ridiculously inflated 55 hours due to playing with multiple groups of friends, as well as spending hours and hours trying to figure out some of the Area-specific Challenges that seemingly no one has figured out yet. Game is fucking fantastic, and if there was ever a time for me to be unemployed (as of this past Wednesday) it might as well have been now!

I have a number of small complaints, but my only two substantial ones that prevent the game from getting completely unequivocal love from me:

-For the love of god, why is ammo/money in chests not auto-pickup, but when dropped from enemies it is? WHY GOD WHY

-Equally annoying, I really, really wish that enemies wouldn't respawn when you're in the same zone. As I spent a lot of time backtracking through large areas trying to find vault symbols, etc it became increasingly annoying. I'm glad that enemies can respawn when without having to leave the game, but couldn't they have just triggered the respawn when completely leaving the zone?

The Challenge system is awesome, straight up doubled my gametime on my first playthrough alone and has me coming back for more. It's also done far better than the first game. A few of them are still oddly balanced though. For example, by the time I completed my first playthrough (which again to be fair was inflated a decent amount) I have already looooong finished a lot of the challenges that I would have thought would have taken a long time and feel that they should have had much higher benchmarks (250 treasure chests, only 30-40 purple loot items, etc). Then there are one or two Challenges that are completely ridiculous for seemingly no reason. For example, there is a Challenge for killing enemies with Assault Rifles while crouching. That's already annoying, but whatever. But then to max that Challenge out you have to get 3200 kills like that, which is fucking absurd and leagues beyond any other Challenge of a similar type for seemingly no reason. I have spent probably the last 20-25 hours of gametime almost exclusively doing that, and I'm only at about 1700. Seriously, what the fuck?

Game is still amazing though, and easily my GOTY at this point (and will probably remain that way). I will also echo the sentiments about in-game chatter overriding other chatter, I missed multiple plot points due to things overtalking each other.

Vodh

Each weapon is made of up to 14 components if I remember correctly. There are several different variations of each component, not all weapons use all 14 component types, and there are incompatible types as well. Including different textures, there should be several thousand different looking weapons (I'm not sure anyone, including Gearbox, ever did the math), but the differences are often subtle. Even many "unique" weapons, while still recognizable, come in lots of slightly different versions.

Well, actually, if there's 14 components, then if it was just a single weapon that could spawn with one of 2 options of each component that would already give us 2^14=16384 'different' possible guns. I think 87 bazillion is a pretty good estimate.

lost $40,000 trying and failing against
Dukino's Mom
before finally winning.

that mission has to be mistaken in its label as "Normal" difficulty.

Any mission where you can be 2-shotted by the boss with 5,000 shields and 2k hp is not a "normal" level foe.

ok so i'm on the quest to find
Roland.....the Dam one
and get to a fast travel station on
Blood-something ramparts
. Short on ammo...i head back to santuary to refuel.

Time to head back annd.....theres no waypoint to the
Ramparts
????

So theres a fast travel to get me home, but not a point to get me back? The closest one is back 2 hours through the stronghold. what the shit is that? Loving the game so far...but this makes me have to put it down for the night. Really don't want to do what i just did.....

/rant

MrDaravon

lost $40,000 trying and failing against
Dukino's Mom
before finally winning.

that mission has to be mistaken in its label as "Normal" difficulty.

Any mission where you can be 2-shotted by the boss with 5,000 shields and 2k hp is not a "normal" level foe.

The difficulty level listed is based on your level relative to the quest :p.

I agree that boss takes forever to kill, but I've done it twice in co-op, and both times it pretty much ignored us in favor of the bandits but maybe we got lucky?

Roland.....the Dam one
Blood-something ramparts

Ramparts
????

So theres a fast travel to get me home, but not a point to get me back? The closest one is back 2 hours through the stronghold. what the shit is that? Loving the game so far...but this makes me have to put it down for the night. Really don't want to do what i just did.....

/rant

Yeah, this was another complaint I have with the game, although except for that specific one and one at the very end of the game, it was a non-issue. There's not many of those, and they're generally in places that you can easily re-get to, and also usually you never need to unless you're going back to for area-specific challenges.

Razek

Banned
Roland.....the Dam one
Blood-something ramparts

Ramparts
????

/rant

Yep, checkpoint system needs a serious overhaul. It's been said plenty of times.

wsippel

Banned
Well, actually, if there's 14 components, then if it was just a single weapon that could spawn with one of 2 options of each component that would already give us 2^14=16384 'different' possible guns. I think 87 bazillion is a pretty good estimate.
Well, there are definitely a whole god damn lot of different variations. I've probably seen at least ten different versions of Moxxi's Good Touch, and that's a "unique" weapon. It's always a Maliwan SMG, always with the same "base", and it always uses the same unique color scheme and decals, but I've seen different scopes, front grips and shoulder supports. I also got two rare Tediore SMGs that are almost identical, stats wise (one has slightly higher damage, the other has slightly better accuracy - that's the only difference), but they still look ever so slightly different. Quite impressive, really.

TommyT

Roland.....the Dam one
Blood-something ramparts

Ramparts
????

/rant

Did the same thing. I ended up joining a public game and on my first join they were close to the boss. I said in chat not to travel back with the reason why. I've used public games as a sub-waypoint system with quite a bit of success. I'm sure it pissed other people off, but that's seriously saved me from stopping the game entirely.

GolazoDan

Been playing this over the weekend. Totally awesome, and I say that as someone who didn't get into the first Borderlands (I have as many achievements in BL2 as I have in BL1). That may just be due to knowing what type of game I'm getting into, as I recall finding BL1 a bit disorientating at first.

Did a bit of co-op but I found that if my two buddies weren't urging me to push forward I felt guilty for trawling around for every bit of ammo and money around, opening every container, so I think I'll stick with single player for my initial run through and do co-op when I know exactly what I'm getting into and have heard all of the wacky lines without rushing through it all.

Currently rocking a Siren, gonna try using an attack-focused build I found. The lock power's totally awesome in co-op, I was playing with a Gunzerker so I'd just trap the enemy and he'd unload, usually with a sniper rifle.

I feel guilty with some of the loot because I just got a purple weapon that I guess shoots fire-damage darts and launches a grenade forward when it reloads... but I don't really like the delay between trigger and impact with the darts. That Mike fella gave me a sweet blue pistol and I think I'd prefer to stick with that.

wsippel

Banned
i get the shitty checkpoints...but i don't understand how there was basically a 1-way fast travel station. seems ludicrous.

EDIT : 'get' = 'get people bitching about it'
There are several one-way fast travel stations, typically in "dungeons". They're easily recognizable as the floating text is orange instead of blue. I do agree that the fast travel system is weird, though - the player should be able to warp to any discovered spawn point at any time, not just to the (blue) fast travel stations. As it is, it's often useless grind and a waste of time.

Varna

Kind of addicted to the slot machines. When the fee goes up that means a new level group of weapons is likely to be spawned right?

Also in the menus (pc version) you can flag weapons with a star or x... what does this mean?

Razek

Banned
i get the shitty checkpoints...but i don't understand how there was basically a 1-way fast travel station. seems ludicrous.

EDIT : 'get' = 'get people bitching about it'

Oh no, I agree with you. I just meant 'checkpoint' as the all encompassing word on the issue. It's especially problematic when it doesn't indicate it's a 1 way system.

Kind of addicted to the slot machines. When the fee goes up that means a new level group of weapons is likely to be spawned right?

Also in the menus (pc version) you can flag weapons with a star or x... what does this mean?

Everything in sanctuary is leveled to you.
edit: Star means favorite, just an indication. X means junk. If you are in a shop you click L3 to auto sell everything labeled as junk.

Megasoum

Banned
There are several one-way fast travel stations, typically in "dungeons". They're easily recognizable as the floating text is orange instead of blue. I do agree that the fast travel system is weird, though - the player should be able to warp to any discovered spawn point at any time, not just to the (blue) fast travel stations. As it is, it's often useless grind and a waste of time.

Yeah, and like I said the other day, they should give you some kind of "hearthstone" type item that let you port back to Sanctuary every hour or something.

The amount goes up with your level I think.

You can flag items as "trash" and then go to a vendor and sell all the trash in one click. Kidna useless if you ask me since you need to go through the list in the inventory anyway. If there was a way to loot something as trash directly then it would be usefull.

Everything in sanctuary is leveled to you.
edit: Star means favorite, just an indication. X means junk. If you are in a shop you click L3 to auto sell everything labeled as junk.

Oh, hadn't notice the star. That could be usefull for stuff I know I want to keep in my inventory and not sell by mistake.

Double D

So the AI Core.
Shield or Gun?
If it's random, then whatever, but I'm interested if one is better than the other if it's not.

Megasoum

Banned
So the AI Core.
Shield or Gun?
If it's random, then whatever, but I'm interested if one is better than the other if it's not.

That's another little issue I have with the game... They should really be more upfront about the quests rewards. Especially when you have to choose between two npcs to turn in the quests. It'd be nice to see what are the rewards before making a decision.

Razek

Banned
So the AI Core.
Shield or Gun?

If it's any consolation the shotgun wasn't very good and I guarantee you don't use it for very long if it is.

wsippel

Banned
Yeah, and like I said the other day, they should give you some kind of "hearthstone" type item that let you port back to Sanctuary every hour or something.
Or, you know, just let me teleport to any landmark I've discovered at any time. Even JRPGs get this right these days...

Izayoi

Banned
So the AI Core.
Shield or Gun?
Shield is nice, I actually used it. Absorbs bullets and such. Shotgun is entertaining but largely useless as far as stats are concerned.

Megasoum

Banned
Or, you know, just let me teleport to any landmark I've discovered at any time. Even JRPGs get this right these days...

Sure, but at the same time I can see the merit of limiting the player's movement from a game design point of view. If you can just warp around then you will miss a ton of stuff.

It's definitly possible to "meet in the middle" so to speak tho.

I am way early in the game but I found a glitch where It did not see my Borderlands 1 save file in the cloud save. I switched consoles so I did not have a copy local. I copied it local to the hard drive and it saw my save for the perk.

Sanctuary

What did you guys focus on when using your badass tokens, or did you just spread them out evenly?

I did not know until recently that they carry over to your other characters. So I had been focusing entirely on gun damage, accuracy, elemental chance and elemental damage (Siren). After learning about them carrying over though I started focusing on melee. Not bothering with health or shields.

What did you guys focus on when using your badass tokens, or did you just spread them out evenly?

I tried to spread them out evenly for my Siren build:

Elemental Damage
Elemental Chance
Reload Speed
Grenade Damage (got a 8x MIRV grenade, so a % boost is nice)

Some other stuff in there. Oh, they carry over to other characters too? Guess I'll add some more things in there.

eek5

I would gladly pay respawn fee to suicide my guy and respawn at any waypoint. As it is now, I just quit my game and reload to get to the nearest travel station at the end of each quest.

Megasoum

Banned
That shield you get in one of the sidequests is RIDICULOUS. Sure it could use more capacity but the nove when you get out of shield AND when you get out of health makes it an automatic Second Wind machine.

D353FDD3A5E74DC970153C865D35AD8C9EB5F721

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Randy Pitchford promises there will be non-season pass DLC. New vehicle type DLC mentioned.

Sounds like pre-order content, most notably the Creature Slaughterdome, will probably make it out in that form.

I found that plenty of people tell you "How's the job going?", even if you don't have one with them. Claptrap and
Lilith
are a couple that do the same thing.

Have your tried saving/quitting and trying again?
Tried before, did nothing :(

Trying again soon, because I'm desperate and don't like walking around with a ton of money that will just go into deaths.

wsippel

Banned
Sure, but at the same time I can see the merit of limiting the player's movement from a game design point of view. If you can just warp around then you will miss a ton of stuff.

I see the merit as well, but then again: Xenoblade. I believe there's one optional endgame quest that you could hypothetically miss by excessive fast travel use, but that game also has a lot more story and a lot more quests overall...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That shield you get in one of the sidequests is RIDICULOUS. Sure it could use more capacity but the nove when you get out of shield AND when you get out of health makes it an automatic Second Wind machine.
Holy SHIT that's amazing. Can you name the side quest in spoilers?

Megasoum

Banned
Holy SHIT that's amazing. Can you name the side quest in spoilers?

I don't remember the quest name exactly but
It in's the line where you help people from Goodwill (that's the name of the town right? The place where you go to get the new teleport beacon for Sanctuary). Anyway a lady will give you a bunch of quests to help people in town (get medecine, activate the shield bubble, etc). This is the last reward.

Anyway...I think that's where I got it? lol... I've done so many sidequests today, it's a bit of a blur lol.

Izayoi

Banned
I don't remember the quest name exactly but
It in's the line where you help people from Goodwill (that's the name of the town right? The place where you go to get the new teleport beacon for Sanctuary). Anyway a lady will give you a bunch of quests to help people in town (get medecine, activate the shield bubble, etc). This is the last reward.

Anyway...I think that's where I got it? lol... I've done so many sidequests today, it's a bit of a blur lol.
That is where you get it, you are not mistaken.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Roland.....the Dam one
Blood-something ramparts

Ramparts
????

/rant

Those fast travel stations display their globes in Yellow for a reason. They also have a "No U-TURN" sign displayed. You can't fast travel back there.

I tried to spread them out evenly for my Siren build:

Elemental Damage
Elemental Chance
Reload Speed
Grenade Damage (got a 8x MIRV grenade, so a % boost is nice)

Some other stuff in there. Oh, they carry over to other characters too? Guess I'll add some more things in there.

Hmm.

Do you open up more options as you level up? I don't have reload speed or grenade damage choices. May save up my token if so.

wsippel

Banned
Those fast travel stations display their globes in Yellow for a reason. They also have a "No U-TURN" sign displayed. You can't fast travel back there.
I know it's frowned upon these days, but assuming you guys ever do a Borderlands 3, play Xenoblade first and take a good look. That game certainly isn't without flaws, but it has a ton of well implemented convenience features everyone should copy.

Gotchaye

Just had this drop from my first final boss kill on the second playthrough. Thought it was neat that they remade one of the Borderlands 1 oranges for Borderlands 2. I'm not sure what the special effect is, but the game certainly thinks it's valuable (sells for 5x what otherwise superior rifles sell for).

Razek

Banned
Hmm.

Do you open up more options as you level up? I don't have reload speed or grenade damage choices. May save up my token if so.

No, it's a random pool weighted on your already current choices. If you never choose melee damage for example, expect it to show up every single time.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm starting the Wildlife section of the game... I hope there's a ton of Jurassic Park references in there or I will be really dissapointed! lol

(and don't tell me, I don't want to know, this was a rethorical question lol)

Even with that, it wasn't conveyed well. The idea of 1-way fast travel stations messes with players expectations of how game mechanics have worked through a game and a half, so some small sign isn't really enough.

I actually think the first game handled it pretty well except for the DLC's, not sure why they cut down on the fast travel with those, especially General Knoxx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom