• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had this drop from my first final boss kill on the second playthrough. Thought it was neat that they remade one of the Borderlands 1 oranges for Borderlands 2. I'm not sure what the special effect is, but the game certainly thinks it's valuable (sells for 5x what otherwise superior rifles sell for).

Whatever does that red text mean...

Is there a list out there for what some of the red text translates to, gameplay-wise?

Grisby

2 questions:

1) Moxxi is talking a bout me being on a job for her but I don't have anything in my quest book relating to anything like that...

2) In the Sanctuary Killer quest who
do you accuse? I've narrowed it down to two pistol dudes but I can't find any difference between them.

wsippel

Banned
Even with that, it wasn't conveyed well. The idea of 1-way fast travel stations messes with players expectations of how game mechanics have worked through a game and a half, so some small sign isn't really enough.
They shouldn't exist in the first place. They're either in places that become completely irrelevant later on, so who cares if you can fast travel to those points (might as well let me), or they do become relevant later on for a sidequest and you have to waste time and ammo to get back there - no challenge, no worthwhile loot.

Megasoum

Banned
Just got the Deliverance legendary Shotgun that Adam was talking about earlier. Too bad the damage is really low cause the homing grenade is great!

Gartooth

2 questions:

1) Moxxi is talking a bout me being on a job for her but I don't have anything in my quest book relating to anything like that...

do you accuse? I've narrowed it down to two pistol dudes but I can't find any difference between them.

Man that quest is so annoying because the hints are terrible as to who you pick. (you still get rewarded regardless though)

Anyway I think it was the guy with the launcher (or was it sniper rifle?) I messed it up and after accusing the wrong guy the murderer ran away

Edit:

Look at their health bars. Remember that Moxxi said he had a shield and Dr. Zed said he patched him up.

Disregard what I said, never even thought of this!

one85x

2 questions:

Look at their health bars. Remember that Moxxi said he had a shield and Dr. Zed said he patched him up.

The difficulty level listed is based on your level relative to the quest :p.

I agree that boss takes forever to kill, but I've done it twice in co-op, and both times it pretty much ignored us in favor of the bandits but maybe we got lucky?
hell yea you got lucky.

when I was playing it, it killed the mercs fast and they seemed to take a solid minute to respawn. by then...well yea.

This is the best list I could find: http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Special_Weapon_Effects_Bordelands_2

But it's still pretty incomplete. I think red text effects in the first game only got nailed down when people got more access to some of the game files.

I saw this one
If thumping you is wrong, I don't want to be right – Love Thumper: High roid damage. Low recharge rate and very high recharge delay. Melee attacks create a Nova-like explosion while the player is buffed by it's roid damage.
What's "roid damage"?

Grisby

Has there been any big quest glitches? It'd be weird for Moxxi to say hey you have a job when it doesn't have it in my book.
Thanks yeah, forgot you could look at the bars. Got it right.

Wunder

Part of me wishes the red text was more widely available, but I know that would decrease the uniqueness of the weapon. Maybe I wish I could find the red text weapons to be scaleable, that would be cool.

Rocking a solo Maya and Co-op Axton, feeling a bit burnt out on Axton since we're all on different parts of the story and we're basically redoing story/side missions, so we're just trying to beeline the story since the side missions usually make you over levelled for the story anyway. Maya is a ton of fun, the Cataclysm tree is so sick, I can't wait for Blight Phoenix, my god.

Gotchaye

Red text or 'flavor text' is generally very snippy references that hardly reflect the items capabilities. I believe the volcano's ability is increased burn damage.
But that would be reflected in the stat profile, and the burn damage is very good but not amazing. Right now I'm thinking it does exceptionally high bonus elemental damage on hit, because it deals about the same damage to shields as my 20k damage slag rifle.

Razek

Banned
But that would be reflected in the stat profile, and the burn damage is very good but not amazing. Right now I'm thinking it does exceptionally high bonus elemental damage on hit, because it deals about the same damage to shields as my 20k damage slag rifle.

Going by the first games volcano, it had a larger AOE for burn ignition, more burn chance, and more burn damage.

I assume it's a combination, play on, or enhancement of those things.

Wunder

Stat profile? Is that just the stat sheet of the weapon, or am I missing something? And does that reflect things from manufacturers? Since like for a Jakobs, fire rate doesn't necessarily come into play or Reload Speed for a Tediore?

neoism

Damn, this game..... beat it today and started the true vault hunter mode... this game is amazing.... GOTY... also one of the funniest games I've ever played. the gun play is amazing..... 38 hours down in 5 days lol... I can't stop.

Razek

Banned
Stat profile? Is that just the stat sheet of the weapon, or am I missing something? And does that reflect things from manufacturers? Since like for a Jakobs, fire rate doesn't necessarily come into play or Reload Speed for a Tediore?

He means the infocard you get when you look at or highlight a weapon.

Every weapon has weighted stats depending on its manufacturer. In the first game, stat deviation was determined by different 'parts' that would be on a gun. I assume they went with a similar method here.

Whats a good build that can take full advantage of Zer0's deception? I switched to full bloodshed after going mostly Sniping and am actually enjoying Zer0 a lot more. I'm lvl 22, right now. I'm assuming Cunning mixed with Bloodshed is the way to go. Any suggestions?

Xevren

Whats a good build that can take full advantage of Zer0's deception? I switched to full bloodshed after going mostly Sniping and am actually enjoying Zer0 a lot more. I'm lvl 22, right now. I'm assuming Cunning mixed with Bloodshed is the way to go. Any suggestions?

Depends, you can go with a melee build centered around Many Must Fall, or you can try going with cunning and play with Death Blossom. I'm doing a Blossom build and putting the rest into bloodshed just because of how ridiculous Death Blossom is. I had some issues with bosses with full melee but not having issues with anything with Death Blossom, plus it's nice to have some ranged perks too.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK, I give up.

How the hell do I get through the electric field in the Sanctuary Hole near the entrance to Caustic Caverns?

I've tried to figure this out for 30 minutes and I'm done running in circles.

Did I get lucky or does everyone get this gun very early?
S3wuz.jpg

(sorry for quality, from Tv to phone)

Its lvl req. 4 and Ive been tearing it up using it with my Gunzerker for like 10+ lvls. I just started playing and this gun has been a lifesaver and tearing people up teamed with a shotty.

So, when does the ludicrous money start coming in? I'm a Lvl. 16 and the most I've had at one point is around $5,000. Is it mostly from side missions? Campaign missions? Selling shit? Whoring yourself out?

SlickVic

Registered for Shift through their website and never got a Golden Key code. Checking in-game and don't see it posted in extras/offers or anything. Guess I was supposed to register in-game and not their site? Sucks.

Edit: Just saw the option to delete account on the Shift website and did that, signed up again through the game, and saw the offer for the extra golden key.

Mikey Jr.

So, when does the ludicrous money start coming in? I'm a Lvl. 16 and the most I've had at one point is around $5,000. Is it mostly from side missions? Campaign missions? Selling shit? Whoring yourself out?

Soon. You'll start picking up weapons that are worth a couple of grand. You will start selling those.

one85x

OK, I give up.

How the hell do I get through the electric field in the Sanctuary Hole near the entrance to Caustic Caverns?

The switch is all the way back at the beginning of the stage. Just follow the wires that start on the left side of the electric fence.

OK, I give up.

Stand back from the electric field and look up. Shoot the fuse box on the building. That's If I'm remembering the right one.

Lvl 28 no oranges yet, or yellows or whatever, still using a green weapon or 2. I am on the last quest so hopefully my next play through will give me better drops :(

So my gun I posted a few minutes ago was a rare drop? Like I said, lvl 4 req. and its been beasting shit with 115 explosive damage! Liek shooting nades lol

I'm lvl 13 still using it :)

Megasoum

Banned
I give up... I'm now level 24 and I still can't finish the stupid Bandit Slaughterhouse. I've tried round 5 at least 10 times now and I never even get halfway through.

Mangotron

So my gun I posted a few minutes ago was a rare drop? Like I said, lvl 4 req. and its been beasting shit with 115 explosive damage! Liek shooting nades lol

I'm lvl 13 still using it :)

Yeah, you can tell by the color of the name.

I think it's:

Orange -> Rarest
Purple -> Rare
Green -> Uncommon
Blue -> Common
White -> Crap

there might be another orange tier though, not sure.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The switch is all the way back at the beginning of the stage. Just follow the wires that start on the left side of the electric fence.

Totally missed this. Sounds like I have more fun ahead ha. I gotta get the Vault Hunter symbol in that area anyways, so I guess it'll be worth it. Thanks!

neoism

Did I get lucky or does everyone get this gun very early?

(sorry for quality, from Tv to phone)

Its lvl req. 4 and Ive been tearing it up using it with my Gunzerker for like 10+ lvls. I just started playing and this gun has been a lifesaver and tearing people up teamed with a shotty.

38 hours 0 oranges..... :(

I think it's:

Orange -> Rarest
Purple -> Rare
Green -> Uncommon
Blue -> Common
White -> Crap

cool, Im gonna save it then for my other chracters when I start :)

Cant beat a rare lvl 4 req. weapon with 115damage!

I think it's:

Orange -> Rarest
Purple -> Rare
Green -> Uncommon
Blue -> Common
White -> Crap

There isn't another tier, just the darker the shade of the item font the rarer. This applies to purple and orange. Borderlands 1 did the same thing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Update: Seems like I just needed to tip Moxxi more, wasn't a bug necessarily. But I could've swore I tipped her over 40K at that point. I don't know man, but at least I got her second gun, which is amazing.

This game is fucking amazing. I haven't posted much but there are about a million things I've come across that have put a smile on my face.

Wallach

There isn't another tier, just the darker the shade of the item font the rarer. This applies to purple and orange. Borderlands 1 did the same thing.

Actually I think the lighter shade denotes the more rare stuff in this one. We've found quite a lot more dark purples than we have light purples.

Update: Seems like I just needed to tip Moxxi more, wasn't a bug necessarily. But I could've swore I tipped her over 40K at that point. I don't know man, but at least I got her second gun, which is amazing.

This game is fucking amazing. I haven't posted much but there are about a million things I've come across that have put a smile on my face.

She has a second gun? I am positive I tipped her over 50k so it must be more than that.

neoism

Registered for Shift through their website and never got a Golden Key code. Checking in-game and don't see it posted in extras/offers or anything. Guess I was supposed to register in-game and not their site? Sucks.

Edit: Just saw the option to delete account on the Shift website and did that, signed up again through the game, and saw the offer for the extra golden key.

also I thought they patched the golden key thing.... I used it and got 255 keys.... got about 200 left I use about 5 or so ever few levels...I started a siren up and she had 210 keys lol.....

Tip" also money is useless in this game I've used a shit load on the slot machines. mostly for E...having a shit load of money mean they will just take it when you die... I died on a boss like 10 times ,and lost 40k+ since then I just use it on the slot machines until 3k< ..... why waste it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom