• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how speech can be very easily interrupted AND you can't view a message log AND echo recorders disappear after one listen. :\

Yeah, I came hear to say this. Sooo much info lost because a side mission triggers or some other combat dialogue picks up. 've had like 3 different dialogues going at once and couldn't hear a sinle one properly. So annoying :(

The game is just so good though, it's crazy. It's so funny, so addictive (I can't NOT play those slots and so satisfactory.

I have two other issues besides the audio.

Splitscreen menus are so awkward. My bro and I play it with a vertical split but each f us are missing out on menus as a result. I'm on the right and I have such a hard time reading some of my stats and stuff. My bro sees about half of his character in the skin select. In Borderlands 1, couldn't you st use the right stick to pan around the menus?

My other issue is the map traversal. I jumped off of the cliff in Overlook and got trapped in a crevice. I saw grass down there so I thought there might have been a Vault symbol or something down there. Nope. The amount of times I think I am after getting stuck is kind of annoying.

This game is glorious crack though.

surly

Banned
Am I doing something wrong, or does the saving suck in this game?

I was doing one of the early missions and I'd made my way right through it to the part where the main boss appears. He killed me and I respawned at the last checkpoint, but as time was getting on and I needed to get to bed, I saved the game and exited. The next time I went to play the game, it loaded up and I was miles away from where the boss was and all the enemies in between had respawned. I assumed it would have loaded up at the checkpoint where I respawned after dying, but no.

Here's where I'm headed:

LUG5F.png

Build link.

Thanks the motion tree seems to be where im having issues. I think I need ward as i run into a fight way too often and end up dead.

Am I doing something wrong, or does the saving suck in this game?

I was doing one of the early missions and I'd made my way right through it to the part where the main boss appears. He killed me and I respawned at the last checkpoint, but as time was getting on and I needed to get to bed, I saved the game and exited. The next time I went to play the game, it loaded up and I was miles away from where the boss was and all the enemies in between had respawned. I assumed it would have loaded up at the checkpoint where I respawned after dying, but no.

Those checkpoints are only for dying, once you quit, you are spawned back at the last fast travel location. It's a pain, though you can exploit this to avoid backtracking after finishing quests. Enemies respawn really quickly in general regardless whether or not you quit.

But yeah, the checkpointing and placement/usage of fast travel locations is handled pretty poorly in this game. And the constant respawning of enemies is a pain.

surly

Banned
Those checkpoints are only for dying, once you quit, you are spawned back at the last fast travel location. It's a pain, though you can exploit this to avoid backtracking after finishing quests. Enemies respawn really quickly in general regardless whether or not you quit.
Thanks man. Well, that sucks, but at least now I know not to quit until a quest is done.

nbraun80

Finally after putting like 2 million into the slots I hit triple borderland symbols. :)
WP_000105_zps2be7a670.jpg

The stats up close for it:
WP_000106_zps7f5b59b3.jpg

Pretty nice little rocket launcher. The Hippity Hoppity is pretty cool. It's a Tediore so when you reload the gun bouncy towards the enemy and drops grenades as it goes. ha

SteveWD40

It's exactly like the first playthrough except enemies are at higher levels. You still have to go through things in order and play through the really slow opening. I don't think you can go through it a 3rd time either. I believe there are two endgame bosses, at least finishing the game made two level 50 quests available.

Ah right, thanks.

Lombax

Banned
Finished my first playthrough with Maya [ended up at level 31] about the boss:
Seriously WTF? I seem to remember gearbox making a big deal about how they learned a lesson from the first game and wanted to make the final boss this time interesting and a challenge. Why then was I able to stand on a ledge and plink him outside of the range of his attacks? on the up side at least the loot was good.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that's definitely a cool one. I've unlocked a lot of skins for Sal but almost all of them have been terrible. At least I got a groovy head for him:

I like the two Bandit skins ("incinerator" and "war paint," I think). I've been using Incinerator when I'm not using Vladof Sickle.

i assume most of these awesome drops happened in co-op right? seems the drop rate is REALLLY down in SP. Thinking about checking out the fake-4 player SP to increase the drop rate

FtHTiny

Finished my first playthrough with Maya [ended up at level 31] about the boss:
Seriously WTF? I seem to remember gearbox making a big deal about how they learned a lesson from the first game and wanted to make the final boss this time interesting and a challenge. Why then was I able to stand on a ledge and plink him outside of the range of his attacks? on the up side at least the loot was good.

You could have just jumped down and fight him probably instead of abusing and than complaining you know.

Doesn't it mean it has a special effect?

I got a gun from a side mission that said something like "i wouldn't lie to you, would i?" And the posted stats were complete lies. I don't even know if the gun was any good (it shot very very slow) but sold for a lot. In general I haven't really paid attention to the red text as it seems to just be a gag rather than an attribute.

Pillville

But yeah, the checkpointing and placement/usage of fast travel locations is handled pretty poorly in this game. And the constant respawning of enemies is a pain.

The save system has almost made the game unplayable for me. I rarely have time to finish an entire quest. When games like Fallout and Skyrim can save EXACTLY where you were, you would think Borderlands could allow you to resume from a checkpoint.

At least they could add a "Quick Save" option like New Super Mario Bros Wii has to allow you suspend playing and allow a one time resume from that spot.

One thing I also love is that thanks to the incredible gun damage design and variety, backtracking is a blast. (Literally, lol!)

I was going back to finish-finish the Pizza Quest and just laying out every single person in one shotgun blast. Even the boss fights there were cake, but it didn't feel like a hassle or a slog, just totally rad and fun.

You know how Halo has that thing where confetti comes out? That's this whole game, only every shot in every encounter.

Drazgul

I like the two Bandit skins ("incinerator" and "war paint," I think). I've been using Incinerator when I'm not using Vladof Sickle.

I'd probably rock one of them if I was still using Sledge's Mask as head, but they have this face paint thing going that doesn't look all that hot with the sunglasses.

@Raxus:

Yeah I noticed them on the list of challenges - have quite a few weapon related ones waiting to unlock tier 3 (which is where you get the customizations it seems), guess I'll have to force myself to use pistols and SMGs for a while, ugh. :p

KingKong

so I beat the game

I thought the final set of missions (after you kill Angel) was pretty bad. Eridium Blight looked interesting but it was just a slog, there were so many enemies to fight through and the locations were pretty mediocre, especially after some great ones in Wildlife Preserve and Opportunity. I thought entering the pipe would go to a cool facility, but it was just an outdoor area.

The final boss wasn't very engaging and the Jack fight was really disappointing. I thought the high point of the game were the missions after rescuing Roland to the Angel one

legbone

so, i am reading that you can't play through a third time. is it possible to hit level 50 on the 2nd playthrough? i am playing solo only and wondering if i should start farming xp.

Chavelo

I got two Vadlof Sickle Siren skins available. Add me on Steam (Username: Chavelo or steamcommunity.com/id/Chavelo) if ya want one! :D

I got two Vadlof Sickle Siren skins available. Add me on Steam (Username: Chavelo or steamcommunity.com/id/Chavelo) if ya want one! :D

Speaking of these, do the slots every give you any skins other than the Manufacturer ones (which I ain't crazy about). I've gotten like a bazillion Vladof Sickle skins across all four classes.

I don't mind the cash but I love nem skins and would like more cool ones.

Derrick01

Banned
so, i am reading that you can't play through a third time. is it possible to hit level 50 on the 2nd playthrough? i am playing solo only and wondering if i should start farming xp.

It should be, at least it was easy to do in the first game. I got to 50 alone about 60-70% through the whole first game on playthrough 2.

I will say I jumped from 34 to 36 in the first area of BL2 on playthrough 2 and that's not including the whole area leading up to the ship. That was just the first town and the cove.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
How powerful is Ruin? And does it affect multiple enemies when combined with the "singularity" skill, whatever that's called that pulls enemies towards the Phaselock?

Really, that's the endgame if I want to explore the Siren's Cataclysm tree, but I'm not entirely sure it's worth it from a survivability aspect. But even the Harmony Tree's health regen skills all appear pretty lackluster unless you invest all your points in that tree.

After playing Darksiders 2 I keep thinking about how that was NOT to do a sequel and how this is the perfect example of how to do a sequel.

I just keep falling more in love with this game. <3

Does the game not autosave? Just got past the part with Boom Bewm and had a power cut, when I started it back up I was back at the very start of that mission. My awesome gun is gone :(

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So i'm just wondering ... Cold Shoulder and one other quest both bugged for me. Cold Shoulder was the first... it says
I only have 3 pieces of pizza out of 4 but i picked up all the slices around that bus wreck/thing at the bottom of fridge (right?) and there is simply not another piece in the highlighted area the game is telling me to look in. Kind of pissing me off. At work right now and I can't think of which mission the other one is but there is one more.

Anyone else running into multiple kind of buggy issues like this? The same with dialogue getting cut off, the menu being terribad and every once in a while (almost always with released shield slave midgets) Zer0's melee just wont.... fucking.... register.
I've had a ridiculous amount of fun with this game already - really loving it so far - which is the only reason I can get past/ignore these issues... but they are annoying. I've basically resigned myself to hitting the bugged missions on playthrough 2 unless someone has a fix that works (PS3)

HoosTrax

So i'm just wondering ... Cold Shoulder and one other quest both bugged for me. Cold Shoulder was the first... it says
I only have 3 pieces of pizza out of 4 but i picked up all the slices around that bus wreck/thing at the bottom of fridge (right?) and there is simply not another piece in the highlighted area the game is telling me to look in. Kind of pissing me off. At work right now and I can't think of which mission the other one is but there is one more.
The fourth slice of pizza is above you, up on a girder. You'll need to walk up a cliff path and jump down onto the girder.

sophora

I have ran into some stuff like menu lag when I switch weapons to new ones or stuff like Goliaths with chests drop dead on blues or iridium that I haven't picked up yet so I can't grab it anymore. I'm sure some sort of patch will eventually come out but the bugs aren't that bad for me

So what's up with the reviews/gamers that whined about enemies not leveling up and simply being an annoyance when you go back through old areas later in the game? Did they play a different game than I'm playing? The enemies most definitely level up in old areas. My guess is they're leveling up to the quest you're currently on rather than your own level, but I might be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom