• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's up with the reviews/gamers that whined about enemies not leveling up and simply being an annoyance when you go back through old areas later in the game? Did they play a different game than I'm playing? The enemies most definitely level up in old areas. My guess is they're leveling up to the quest you're currently on rather than your own level, but I might be wrong.

That sounds about right. The Pizza Quest had that area filled with 10-12s, bosses of 13, and...other stuff...at 15.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Am I the only one who prefers going it alone?

I played through the first Borderlands alone and had a blast. Tried multiplayer for the first time ever in B2 yesterday, and I dunno...it just wasn't as fun. I felt rushed like I had to keep on moving with the other players when I would've preferred exploring a little.

I also felt guilty about taking stuff from chests but at the same time I needed ammo badly. I wish ammo was something that everyone could share in.

As for weapons, we downed a boss (we were all just starting out around lvl5), and I noticed a blue weapon fall to the ground. I could've picked it up, but didn't want to come off as a loot stealing jerk so I let another player grab it.

I dunno. Is there some Borderlands etiquette, or is it every person for themself when playing with randoms? Single player has been muxch more enjoyable for me so far.

So I'm playing a Zer0 sniper build and it's amazing. I've always loved sniping in games and they made it very satisfying in this one. I'm currently level 28 and I'm wrecking the hell out of everything. With my 1100 dmg sniper rifle, I can pop off a 25k crit with everything set up just right (cloaked, x5 stack of bonus crit dmg for looking down sights, waiting til last second of cloak to shoot). I know that's probably small potatoes to what comes later down the line, but right now, it rocks.

Anyway, here's a pro-tip for a certain timed quest for Dr. Zed:
Park a runner at one of the far mailboxes and run back. Start the quest then teleport to the runner. I made it back with about a minute left on the clock.

As for the story, I'm loving it so far. I can't believe how dark it's gotten. I'm not sure what chapter I'm on exactly, but we just got done with a crazy fight. Circular room, very colorful. Those who have done it probably know what I'm talking about. That was BONKERS. Loved it!

Also, the Top Gun side mission. So good!

Tex117

Banned
^
Im with you. I like going at it alone and exploring at my lesiure.

That said, i have two characters. 1 for solo and 1 for co-op.

I played through the first Borderlands alone and had a blast. Tried multiplayer for the first time ever in B2 yesterday, and I dunno...it just wasn't as fun. I felt rushed like I had to keep on moving with the other players when I would've preferred exploring a little.

I also felt guilty about taking stuff from chests but at the same time I needed ammo badly. I wish ammo was something that everyone could share in.

As for weapons, we downed a boss (we were all just starting out around lvl5), and I noticed a blue weapon fall to the ground. I could've picked it up, but didn't want to come off as a loot stealing jerk so I let another player grab it.

I dunno. Is there some Borderlands etiquette, or is it every person for themself when playing with randoms? Single player has been muxch more enjoyable for me so far.

I enjoy playing by myself, but if you get better loot playing in a coop game, then that sucks. I tried to play with a random, who was just all over the place grabbing loot and ammo, in the middle of a gunfight. When I would open a chest, he was right over my shoulder trying to grab the loot from me.

Ammo IS shared in multiplayer.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

You need to play with friends that won't rush you, that will explore places with you, and will ask for input on quests or next steps. There are plenty of people out there that will share with you, and will have similar motivations for playing, but you never know what you get with randoms. I rarely played Borderlands 1 with randoms.

Ammo is something that's auto-shared with the party unless you needed all of it, so I don't think that's something you need to concern yourself with.

No, you're not alone. I like to open every single box, snipe slowly etc. I play at my own pace, and have no desire to alter that. At least not on my first trip to 50. Sounds like your personality is similar to mine on loot. I'm polite to a fault in games like this, which sucks when you do a random match and get a bunch of assholes that run around collecting loot while the fight is still going on. Too many people act like selfish assholes. Which platform are you on? I'm on 360 if you ever want to team up. I won't be playing multi until I finish the game alone though.

I'm the same way. It's harder in a few instances, but I love being able to take my time and not feel rushed. Also, I feel like the slots and Michael do a lovely job of making me feel like I'm still getting great loot.

web01

My biggest issue with the game is if you do side quests you become too over levelled for the main missions and vice versa.

They should have far better balanced the XP given by enemies and missions.
Its boring shooting enemies that pose no threat at all.

This was a problem in the first game too so there is no excuse for it

Raxus

My biggest issue with the game is if you do side quests you become too over levelled for the main missions and vice versa.

Wait for True Vault Hunter Mode.

I got a blue shotgun at level 17 that makes shooting enemies that pose no threat immensely satisfying.

Except for Reeks.

God damn bastards.

Razek

Banned
So what's up with the reviews/gamers that whined about enemies not leveling up and simply being an annoyance when you go back through old areas later in the game? Did they play a different game than I'm playing? The enemies most definitely level up in old areas. My guess is they're leveling up to the quest you're currently on rather than your own level, but I might be wrong.

Not for me, I was pretty vocal about it. There is one particular quest that has you running back to flynts area when you are around lv14 and they are still 5. What a waste of my life that was.

Alternatively, you could increase your loot quality while increasing the difficulty level here: http://myborderlands.com/FourPlayers.aspx

Salsa

I WANNA PLAY THIS ALL DAY BUT X05 (gaffer I started to play it with) WORKS ALL THE TIME GRRRRR WHY ISNT ANYONE AS LAZY AS ME

cackhyena

Why? I'd rather have it that way. If I wanna clean up some side quest in an old area, it's fun to rampage through there without having to worry just to do the mission.

tw1164

I played w/ my first random group last night. The first was great, and everyone worked together. The second grouping was terrible. It felt like a smash and grab job. Also, the group would keep running to the next objective like it was a race. If you're on xbox I'll play w/ you.

neoism

guys anyone know if the Attract.bik file in the borderlands 2 movies file is the long unskipable movie if you leave it at the start screen for too long...

Does the game not autosave? Just got past the part with Boom Bewm and had a power cut, when I started it back up I was back at the very start of that mission. My awesome gun is gone :(

Can anyone tell me what's up with the save system? It just happened again despite me manually saving and quitting at a point way past where It spawned me.

Aurongel

Anyone else here have a totally untouched Torchlight 2 preload waiting in their Steam games list? :/

It couldn't have picked a worse time to come out for me....

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Can anyone tell me what's up with the save system? It just happened again despite me manually saving and quitting at a point way past where It spawned me.

You lost your gun despite manually saving and quitting? That doesn't sound right.

There's a checkpoint system in place, but I don't think you'll actually spawn there if you restart your game. It's only if you die and revive. I believe that you almost always "continue" at the start of a new area... or the fast travel point. I don't have a problem with it... especially with the drop in and out nature of the co-op.

You lost your gun despite manually saving and quitting? That doesn't sound right.

There's a checkpoint system in place, but I don't think you'll actually spawn there if you restart your game. It's only if you die and revive. I believe that you almost always "continue" at the start of a new area... or the fast travel point. I don't have a problem with it... especially with the drop in and out nature of the co-op.

Yeah I did :/

Hmm, not sure if I like that. I was quite far up in the Dragonest(Can't remember the name, you go there after Boom Bewm). When I spawned I was back in the first main area, now I have to fight all those enemies again just to get back where I was.

Razek

Banned
Why? I'd rather have it that way. If I wanna clean up some side quest in an old area, it's fun to rampage through there without having to worry just to do the mission.

I'm weird. I need to feel like I'm doing something productive in games. Killing them nets 0xp and no chance of any worthwhile loot/money, and I would rather face challenging enemies that put my guns and skills to the test. So I just run through, getting shot while my controller is vibrating like crazy. That to me isn't fun.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah I did :/

Hmm, not sure if I like that. I was quite far up in the Dragonest(Can't remember the name, you go there after Boom Bewm). When I spawned I was back in the first main area, now I have to fight all those enemies again just to get back where I was.

When you quit, it should say something like "All Progress Will be Saved" or something like that. If you just picked up the gun from an enemy and then quit, it probably wouldn't have saved. You need to reach something that will initiate an auto-save, like a checkpoint.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
So Borderlands 2 on PS3 doesn't support splitscreen dual login. That's extremely disappointing considering that was the main reason why I got it for PS3 instead of PC. Its not like older games like LBP and Resistance don't have that feature or that PS3 is incapable of doing it or anything. Lazy developers!

/rage

Thinking of this build for my Commando:

R67D8.png

What do you guys think?

cackhyena

I'm weird. I need to feel like I'm doing something productive in games. Killing them nets 0xp and no chance of any worthwhile loot/money, and I would rather face challenging enemies that put my guns and skills to the test. So I just run through, getting shot while my controller is vibrating like crazy. That to me isn't fun.

If it's to significantly advance the game, then I agree it's no fun. But if I wanna be that anal about all the side quests, and happened to blow through previously and miss some, I'd rather power through. My goal is to achieve something that I'm over leveled for in most cases anyway.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Unreachable loot is so rage inducing. I can see it but there's no way for me to get it.

I'm never sure if it's actually unreachable, or if I'm just not thinking hard enough about how to get to a particular location. E.g., the only way I know the top of the
Pig sign
is reachable is because there's an achievement telling me that you can do it.

Not for me, I was pretty vocal about it. There is one particular quest that has you running back to flynts area when you are around lv14 and they are still 5. What a waste of my life that was.

Alternatively, you could increase your loot quality while increasing the difficulty level here: http://myborderlands.com/FourPlayers.aspx

The game is definitely scaling enemies to mission level. You go to Ellies early in the game and the enemies outside are all level 9-10ish. You go back several times throughout the game and they're all leveled up. The same applies to many other areas in the game.

Razek

Banned
The game is definitely scaling enemies to mission level. You go to Ellies early in the game and the enemies outside are all level 9-10ish. You go back several times throughout the game and they're all leveled up. The same applies to many other areas in the game.

I've notice the scaling for some locations, others not so much. All the Firehawk secondary missions for example were about 5 levels below me. Not sure when they decide to kick in the scaling, but yeah it's there.

Oh god, can't believe I'm actually arguing that I want level scaling in a game. It's time to turn my gamer card in.

Man, the scale and variety of this game is so awesome. Each location is great and you never spend too long there. I'm amazed by the size of this game. Gone are the days of Borderlands one where you'd go to the same place 20 times for different side quests.

The more I play, the more I'm sure this will be GOTY unless some of the yet unreleased games so something unexpected.

My girlfriend and I just lost five and a half hours of our afternoon to it. Oops!

I've notice the scaling for some locations, others not so much. All the Firehawk secondary missions for example were about 5 levels below me. Not sure when they decide to kick in the scaling, but yeah it's there.

Same here, you probably did it the same time I did, when you're 13 and the quest is 8, that's pretty much how it goes.

That dude was right, I think. Scales to the quest, not to you.

Unreachable loot is so rage inducing. I can see it but there's no way for me to get it.

There is one boss that is on the top of a building. I don't know if they ever come down. I killed them and they dropped three eridium and a blue. I spent half an hour trying to find a way up there before giving up. I was able to see that it was a rocket launcher at least, which i don't use, so it wasn't a huge loss. But aggrevating all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom