• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I even clipped through the level kind of in Sanctuary.

LOL, you weren't kidding! I saw you from my view, though. Weird...

Btw, here's that legendary grenade I picked up from the pizza quest:
2012-09-24_00002_zpsd2a3a2c7.jpg

I was compelled to screencap this part:

Here's the grenade in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqsMWE2k4kY

I have two complaints about this game.

1) The fast travel zones are too far and few between. There should be some mid-level for when you finish a quest and have to backtrack all the way back.
2) The audio mix is garbage. When NPCs talk to you during firefights you can barely hear them, even with the voice settings at 10 and the others at 5. It's ridiculous and I've missed a lot of info because of it. Also when my co-op partner (split screen) uses her menus it makes the gameplay audio go a lot quieter which is annoying.

Played a lot over the weekend. Im lvl 25 now.

I didint do a lot of the main quest because I had a ton of side quests to do.

On that note, please Gearbox: NO MORE TIMED QUESTS!!!!!! :p

I love your game, but that one given by Dr. Zed was so annoying.

Last but not least, I found a pistol that does +100% melee damage.

My melee Zer0 is killing Goliaths in one hit (while in Deception of course).

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

cyen

Is this game really a step up from borderlands 1? How does it fare in single player only? PLayed the first one and it got really boring after a few hours.

Do you guys recommend this game to someone who found the first one boring?

h3ro

Adam, question regarding how Flicker in Maya's Cataclysm tree works:

If I have a gun that has a 10% chance of inflicting elemental damage and I have Flicker at 5/5 meaning a 30% increase in chance of elemental damage, does this mean I have a 40% chance of causing elemental damage or is that 30% of the 10% from my gun, meaning 13% chance of elemental damage?

I'd like to know, as if it's the latter then I'm going to respec and dump points into Foresight instead. Too small of a bonus to be eating up 5 Skill points. Hoping it's the former.

Flicker stacks.

Is this game really a step up from borderlands 1? How does it fare in single player only? PLayed the first one and it got really boring after a few hours.

It is a step up for BL1 and the story/setting is much more interesting this time around. However, if you found the first game boring for solo, it's going to be hard to recommend this game if you only intend to play it solo. Most of the fun is had playing online (or offline) co-op.

Ryuuga

Banned
Salvador seems to be the least played class from what I'm seeing. It feels like after everyone is done with their initial character we'll start encountering parties being all or 2/3rds gunzerkers. Well until we get the mechromancer at which point it'll be all her.

cyen

Flicker stacks.

It is a step up for BL1 and the story/setting is much more interesting this time around. However, if you found the first game boring for solo, it's going to be hard to recommend this game if you only intend to play it solo. Most of the fun is had playing online (or offline) co-op.

Thanks for the honest answer. I think im going to skip it.

Atruvius

I played BL1 through on solo, and found it quite boring.

Mostly have played BL2 alone and am having lots of fun. Much better solo experience than BL1. Wouldn't skip it.

h3ro

Suggestion - drop the trait that gives your Phaselock a chance to jump enemies and use those 4 points in the sheild trait. That jump trait is mediocre and not worth the points, IMHO.

Yeah, Kinetic Reflection is something I just added in today as an idea as I'm currently not finding and Health Regen mods/loot so I was trying to figure out how to conserve health without having to put points into Harmony.

Edit: Or not :lol

Those fast travel stations display their globes in Yellow for a reason. They also have a "No U-TURN" sign displayed. You can't fast travel back there.

Even with that, it wasn't conveyed well. The idea of 1-way fast travel stations messes with players expectations of how game mechanics have worked through a game and a half, so some small sign isn't really enough.

i see that now, but had no reason to expect anything different from this travel station than any of the other ones....guess i went up to it fast enough, the text popped up 'over' my guys head.

1-way fast travel just seems silly IMO

thanks for the clarification guys. glad to know i'm not alone

Here's where I'm headed:

LUG5F.png

Build link.

Can you explain something to me - im only level 12 and have a q on skill sets

Do you have to have 5/5 in ONE level before going on to the next? It seemed to me like you had to.

Say for example I have 5/5 for the first 3 in “MOTION” and then I want to put 1 point into the 2nd level of “HARMONY” – can I do that or do I have to max out a skill in level 1 harmony first?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, Kinetic Reflection is something I just added in today as an idea as I'm currently not finding and Health Regen mods/loot so I was trying to figure out how to conserve health without having to put points into Harmony.

Edit: Or not :lol

Yeah, you have Quicken in there, not Sub-Sequence. That's the skill I was thinking...It's not that great as a few of us have learned. A few thoughts from my experience.

Drop Kinetic Reflection for Ward - The time this skill lasts vs the perma buffs from Ward seem much more desirable late game.

Try dropping Helios for Chain Reaction - I haven't tried the skill yet (Chain Reaction), but Helios doesn't seem to be AS damaging as I'd hoped (even at 7/5 thanks to a class mod). As you're already looking to reduce the CD of Phaselock, you should have that up long enough to take advantage of it. Phaselock a badass and then unload into the rest of the enemies for a treat. I'd want to try it before I would vouch for the usefulness, though.

Do you have to have 5/5 in ONE level before going on to the next? It seemed to me like you had to.

Say for example I have 5/5 for the first 3 in “MOTION” and then I want to put 1 point into the 2nd level of “HARMONY” – can I do that or do I have to max out a skill in level 1 harmony first?

You need to have 5 points in a given tree's row to access the next row in that tree. In your example, you would need to put 5 points into any of the first row skills of Motion in order to access the second row of motion skills (2 in Accelerate and 3 in Ward, 4 in Accelerate and 1 in Ward, etc).

h3ro

Thanks for the tips nicoga, I'll definitely take them into account when I respec. Glad Gearbox didn't make respecing more punitive in terms of cost, really makes messing with different builds much more fun and allows for more experimentation.

Before you can advance to the next tier of skill sets, you need to spec 5 points total in the first tier, meaning any combination (3/2, 4/1, 5/0, etc) to add up to the requisite 5 to unlock the next set of skills.

To get the second set of skills in Harmony, you'd have to spec 5 points across Mind's Eye and Sweet Release.

Try dropping Helios for Chain Reaction - I haven't tried the skill yet, but Helios doesn't seem to be AS damaging as I'd hoped (even at 7/5 thanks to a class mod). As you're already looking to reduce the CD of Phaselock, you should have that up long enough to take advantage of it. Phaselock a badass and then unload into the rest of the enemies for a treat. I'd want to try it before I would vouch for the usefulness, though.

I put one point into Helios yesterday and then got a class mod that +3 it up to 4/5 and it was still a bit underwhelming. It is nice to have some AOE damage every time I use phaselock but I don't think I will put anymore than 1 point in it for now until I get a new class mod, then I might drop it all together. I need to do some solo play to test its effectiveness because I lose track of how much damage I am doing in the co-op carnage.

I didn't have near enough free time this weekend to put in the hours I wanted to! Ahhh this game is so fun.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I put one point into Helios yesterday and then got a class mod that +3 it up to 4/5 and it was still a bit underwhelming. It is nice to have some AOE damage every time I use phaselock but I don't think I will put anymore than 1 point in it for now until I get a new class mod, then I might drop it all together. I need to do some solo play to test its effectiveness because I lose track of how much damage I am doing in the co-op carnage.

I didn't have near enough free time this weekend to put in the hours I wanted to! Ahhh this game is so fun.

Yeah, it's ALMOST a 1-point wonder skill. I would like to see the damage at 1 vs 5 to see if it's really worth it or not. I guess I was just picturing the radius to be huge. I've used my 7/5 Helios on an enemy and seen it not ignite (or even damage) enemies I thought were "nearby".

Thanks for the tips nicoga, I'll definitely take them into account when I respec. Glad Gearbox didn't make respecing more punitive in terms of cost, really makes messing with different builds much more fun and allows for more experimentation.

Agreed - discovering skills are underwhelming OR not suited for solo play is frustrating, but not terrible since you can simply spec out of it. :)

E: Also, does anyone feel like this game is a LOT longer than BL1? I've sunk 30+ hours into this and I'm only in chapter 14, ha.

one_kill

Man... I spent my golden key only to get shields. I already had an orange one, didn't need two purple ones.

Is there any other way of getting golden keys?

MrDaravon

I will also second the suggestion to either drop Helios, or maybe just drop one point in it. I've got it at 7/5 right now due to a Class Mod, and it doesn't seem to be particularly damaging or anything at all, even also with +30% fire damage on the mod as well.

edbrat

loving this game, lvl 13 commando and looking forward to multiple runs to discover the other char classes. Only just started on cooping, convinced my bro to get it so we can coop together.

Was also lucky enough to score one of the golden key codes last night from Randy's twitter...10 golden keys!!! With the preorder one and one from linking Shift account to Xbos that is 12 I have now, though I just burned one since I have so many. Got me a silly sniper rifle that frankly feels overpowered and a sweet elemental SMG that tears shit up. That little kb attachment for the X360 controller that usually sits there doing nothing has finally come in handy!

Thinking Zero next after this playthrough, looks like a lot of fun.

ElyrionX

Any tips for Zero? I tried running a melee spec at first but it seems really weak and vulnerable. So I respeced to the sniper tree. I'm currently at level 11 and will be focusing exclusively on this tree and might respec to the melee tree at higher levels.

Any tips for Zero? I tried running a melee spec at first but it seems really weak and vulnerable. So I respeced to the sniper tree. I'm currently at level 11 and will be focusing exclusively on this tree and might respec to the melee tree at higher levels.

Melee Zer0 is awesome!!!

Find a gun that gives yous exra melee damage.

Save Deception for the big enemies.

Im lvl 25 now and Im destroying everything. :)

MrDaravon

Hmm, on Maya's Chain Reaction skill do the bullets still have a chance to reflect if you shoot the phase locked enemy? The description isn't entirely clear on that.

SteveWD40

So how is the "endgame" looking so far? Can you keep playing NG+? Is it like Diablo 3 where you can choose an area and just go and do stuff? Are there many endgame bosses or just one?

I know they will save some for the DLC but I just wondered where it stood right now.

So how is the "endgame" looking so far? Can you keep playing NG+?
Is it like Diablo 3 where you can choose an area and just go and do stuff? Are there many endgame bosses or just one?

It's exactly like the first playthrough except enemies are at higher levels. You still have to go through things in order and play through the really slow opening. I don't think you can go through it a 3rd time either. I believe there are two endgame bosses, at least finishing the game made two level 50 quests available.

Ark

Is anyone else having a bug where when you go into 'fight for your life mode' the screen just goes black? I have a HUD, crosshairs, minimap, etc but I everything else is just black.

I was just ignoring it to begin with, but since most of the bosses are overtuned to fuck
that giant worm at level 17 at the Hyperion Eridium mine is fucking overpowered as you like
I'm finding myself losing a metric fucktonne of money.

I have finished my first playthrough as a level 32 melee assassin and started again but respec'd into the sniper tree. Melee is o.k on the first playthrough but tougher enemies make the last skill in that tree near pointless in solo play in the new game and my guns consistently do more damage than my melee anyway. The sniper branch is incredibly powerful but makes deception useless which kind of kills my enjoyment in playing Zer0. I really wish each skill tree had its own active ability. I am sure a combo of the melee and snipiing trees will make zer0 a complete beast at lvl 50 and I hope there is a lot of content for that level of play.

For those who are playing co-op and have finished a playthrough already; is it better to keep pushing on with Zer0 or should I start a new character?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is there an effort to transcribe the game? I have missed a few ECHO recordings because I've played co-op a bit and had someone pick up another quest/story element that cut off some of the ECHOs I've wanted to hear. I'm genuinely intrigued about some of the disturbing shit that's happened on Pandora, but I've missed some of it. :(

Is there an effort to transcribe the game? I have missed a few ECHO recordings because I've played co-op a bit and had someone pick up another quest/story element that cut off some of the ECHOs I've wanted to hear. I'm genuinely intrigued about some of the disturbing shit that's happened on Pandora, but I've missed some of it. :(

Yeah, this game definitely needs an encyclopedia and beastiary so that i can review everything. Having dialog interrupted is really annoying and i would like more information on the various factions, syndicats and manufacturers.

WEGGLES

I love how speech can be very easily interrupted AND you can't view a message log AND echo recorders disappear after one listen. :\

Raxus

Yeah that's definitely a cool one. I've unlocked a lot of skins for Sal but almost all of them have been terrible. At least I got a groovy head for him:

It takes a while to find cool Sal skins. Most are linked to Badass ranks. I have a few if you'd like to see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom