• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally polished off Round 5 of the Arena last night. Is the assault rifle you get for beating it useful at all? I checked it out briefly, and it fires in a funky arc that might get annoying after a while.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, I take it that Ruin + Converge is a powerful combination? That's what I was thinking of eventually doing, but I'm torn between that and a Motion focus with some Harmony supplmentation.

I really don't like the harmony tree, so don't take my word as gospel, but yeah, this is a pretty damn good combo.

I think the final power for cataclysm is better than the motion or harmony ones. Helps that I'm speccing towards being able to constantly do phaselock.

Razek

Banned
Another poster found this first, but a reminder:

If you're playing solo on PC, you can change the difficulty to get better loot. You just need this tool: http://myborderlands.com/FourPlayers.aspx

I've been playing on hardest and the game is very manageable and fun. You just need to approach everything with some actual strategy and use cover.

I didn't think Caustic Caverns was too bad but I was gunzerking double SMGs, one of which was slag. Crystalisks were annoying at first until I realized you can punch one of their crystal covered legs to immediately break it and deal 1/3 of its health bar in damage. They go down quick when you only need three punches to do it.

They take damage from explosive weapons if you can't get behind one to target the last leg.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
As someone who hated the first game (really fucking hated) I'm 5 hours into B2 and loving every minute of it.

Derrick01

Banned
So I started a Zero run....his skill is probably the worst of all 8 Borderlands characters though I haven't played Maya or the zerker yet. It's hard to imagine them being worse than this. I guess I'll be leveling the sniper tree.

Dead

well not really...yet
Man, Axton's Turret is fucking easy mode.

Been playing with my friends and its like every time we start to get in trouble, dat turret just destroys everything in its path.

Derrick01

Banned
Man, Axton's Turret is fucking easy mode.

Been playing with my friends and its like every time we start to get in trouble, dat turret just destroys everything in its path.

It's not as overpowered as Roland's was since it can't heal or fill the whole party's ammo supply but it is still pretty powerful. I'm getting close to getting the rocket attachment which will go along with the two turret ability and all the other upgrades I have for it so far. Should be pretty unstoppable.

I've unlocked something like 8 to 10 vehicle skins and none of them show up at the catch a ride. Is it really possible they're all for vehicles I don't yet have?

That's some strange odds if so...

nel e nel

What do you guys think would be the ideal co-op loot drop code of conduct? I currently play with a pool of 4 other friends and we have settled on these rules so far.

The general rules we follow are:

1. Ammo, money, Eridium and white drops are a free for all. As the game progresses, green drops become a free for all and I imagine blues will as well at a certain point.

2. All boss drops and weapons crates should be group reviewed before looting. As you become familiar with your group, you will know if the entire drop or crate is crap and
you can just announce them as trash drops. We then grab one each or not even bother.

3. If any player could benefit from the loot, it should go to them over a trash pick up for others

4. First rare drop of the session (purple or higher) priority goes to the host, they can then defer to the next person who has an interest or need for the loot. If you always use the same host, each session can have a different first dibs "host". An alternative to this is to give the lowest level player the first rare drop of the session.

5. Rare drops then cycle from person to person for the remainder of the session so if there are four orange drops, everyone should have at least one before anyone gets their second.

6. If you are upgrading a weapon/item with a drop, offer your demoted weapon/item to the group before selling it off.

7. No boss or weapons crate looting while others are dead.

8. Share your priority of upgrades with others, "Hey, my shield sucks, let me know if you see a good one" This helps establish a demand and keeps the grow the group strength as a whole.

9. Class mods go to the appropriate class, duplicate classes can alternate or trade what suits them best.

We aren't anal about these but the general structure keeps things moving without dispute. Thoughts? Revisions?

Seems fair. I was thinking about this today, actually, and was wondering if the reason they limited the backpack size to under 30 was to counter the loot hoarding in co-op games. If your backpack is fills up quicker, there is less chance of some random douchenozzle coming and griefing your game.

Grisby

You know what else I like about Borderlands? Is the fact that you can get very vertical if you want. There's still a ton of invisible walls but it's always fun to try and climb things and sometimes there's at least a money chest or something.

Although the timed driving missions can f' off. The unreal geometry stuff is just too rigid for precision driving. That and the cars mostly handle like ass.

D6AMIA6N

I would of liked some sort of indicator on the mini-map where ladders are so I'm not wandering around areas with a lot of buildings or overlapping paths :T

Doesn't the map marker show an arrow next to it when something is above you? It did for me on the Pig Motel quest.

nel e nel

So I started a Zero run....his skill is probably the worst of all 8 Borderlands characters though I haven't played Maya or the zerker yet. It's hard to imagine them being worse than this. I guess I'll be leveling the sniper tree.

I watched a Rev3 Games video yesterday with Paul Helquist, and the cunning tree with the kunai is pretty badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Imd9n0euw

I think that's what I'm going to do for my Zer0 run, full cunning tree supplemented with Ir0n Hand and the sniping tree up to B0re.

http://talent.87bazillion.com/2/assassin.php?320501200050055155010500000000

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't the map marker show an arrow next to it when something is above you? It did for me on the Pig Motel quest.

It does, but that doesn't fix the overlapping maps issue. You can't really follow the minimap sometimes because it's 2D and there aren't any indications of how to get to a higher or lower floor. Not a huge issue as it only comes up rarely but I know Caustic Caverns got a bit confusing for me in the area around the spiderant/compactor/start area.

atomico

When I realized I had wasted my vault key, I panicked and immediately hit Alt-F4 before picking anything up, hoping the game wouldn't autosave. It did. :(

Also, is Fink's Slaugtherhouse broken? 3rd time I tried, dudes just stopped spawning

sophora

The map marker does tell you how high or low it is but what I'm talking about is like a ladder symbol or something to show where ladders are for those times where I'm stuck wandering around places like Sawtooth Cauldron. I did get used to the map layout overtime so the ladder thing is just a minor gripe.

Wow. His skill may not look like much, but its incredibly powerful when spec'd the right way. Don't underestimate his ability so soon.

So I went to get Tina's guest and this dude One Armed Jack came out and he had a (!!!!!) Slot Machine on his back. I died fighting them and his body was there when I came back but the slot machine was gone.

Will that slot machine respawn??

PLEASE SAY YES.

PLEASE SAY YES.

why are people using thier golden keys before level 50?

haha

Michael/caravan robbing nets you better stuff for FREE

By the time you reach level 50, is there much else to do? I figure most of the game will be over by then...wouldn't be much use having an awesome gun with no purpose to use it for.

And maybe it's against the spirit of loot games, but I'm still not even sure I want overpowered weps. They can be fun to use, but the game is easy enough as it is already. I think it's more entertaining to be constantly experimenting with different guns with their pros/cons as opposed to having just one that rules them all.

I'm finding I'm enjoying Zero a lot more by supplementing my sniping with a shotgun. Sniping just gets really boring by itself, especially when you're going through an area you've done before. With a good shotgun with elemental damage and a class mod that regenerates health, I can tear through stuff pretty quickly. Once I'm a higher level, I'm going to respec and focus entirely on the Cunning tree.

erragal

So I went to get Tina's guest and this dude One Armed Jack came out and he had a (!!!!!) Slot Machine on his back. I died fighting them and his body was there when I came back but the slot machine was gone.

Will that slot machine respawn??

PLEASE SAY YES.

PLEASE SAY YES.

Enemy spawn slot machines are fixed and always have two whites in them.

Loot goons are the best enemies though and really should show up constantly.

steadfast

OK, so who used the suicide hotline and what was the result? I chose to jump
I got 12 Eridium and long speech from Jack about being a sellout and making me his bitch

nel e nel

I'm finding I'm enjoying Zero a lot more by supplementing my sniping with a shotgun. Sniping just gets really boring by itself, especially when you're going through an area you've done before. With a good shotgun with elemental damage and a class mod that regenerates health, I can tear through stuff pretty quickly. Once I'm a higher level, I'm going to respec and focus entirely on the Cunning tree.

Yes! Another recruit for the Shotgun Infiltrator Mob! I was trying to go with the 'intended' use of Zer0 by getting in close with Decepti0n and meleeing, but found that a shotgun was much more effective.

HoosTrax

Anyone on PC manage to find Michael yet? His spawn rate is apparently very low, unlike the 100% spawn rate on console. I know all of his spawn locations, but haven't seen him even once.

Aside from the pre-order bonus, SHIFT sign-up code and the now expired codes from Randy, are there any other avenues for Golden Keys? Two ultimately useless relics. I'm feeling so jilted, you guys :C.

26 hours played so far. That's more or less a quarter of the time that I've actually had the game in my possession. Ridickyoorus. It has certainly been a bit BOREDerlands a few times, due to the painstaking length of some missions and sporadic difficulty spikes, but I'm enjoying the shit out of it. If only my job/girlfriend had scalable loot. Woe.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Zer0's skill is a free kill on the toughest mob in any encounter to start it off. Hard to beat that.

Ambush+Innervate+Vel0city+Headshot+Deception = godlike base attack + godlike crit for your initial attack.

When you use a shotgun or a rocket launcher for that first attack it is devastating. If it is still alive mark it for death and then empty the rest of your magazine into it, it'll be dead unless it is some ridiculously tough badass.

Toss out a homing shock transfusion mirv grenade(these are awesome btw), find some cover, reload, wait for the grenade to strip all the shields then jump out and kill everything else.

6kaWh.jpg

Razek

Banned
Anyone on PC manage to find Michael yet? His spawn rate is apparently very low, unlike the 100% spawn rate on console. I know all of his spawn locations, but haven't seen him even once.

Probably 5 times throughout my various 40 hours of play.

Nelo Ice

Banned

I've only seen him like 3 times though I actually got an epic off him in vault hunter mode the last time. Of course it was a fire smg that was worth then one I got from Moxxi lol.

HoosTrax

As I understand it he gets rarer to spot
once Sanctuary gets relocated.
I'm aware of that. This is my second playthrough on PC, and prior to that point. I know that his spawn rate is 100% before the event you mentioned, and 10% afterwards, on console.

His spawn rate on PC seems to be unknown though.

Today I heard one say "OH! A present?" when I lobbed one at him.

Goliath: "Welcome to die!"

I did crack a smile at that, the first time I hard it in Borderlands 2.

Some of the Engineer death quotes are amusing too.

"Tell my wife.... ..... she was a bitch..."
"I was two days away from retirement..."
"I just finished payments on my house..."
"Nooo, I almost completed my comic book collection..."

Also,
poor Claptrap and his Birthday party

Also,

My favorite Bandit death line is "Bury me....with Shotty."

Not "MY" or "THE"...just "Shotty"....

Mileena

Banned
I love how I'm at level 30 and I've never found above a blue from a boss or a chest. I understand low drop rates and all but this is ridiculous. Gearbox scum.

Also,

I still think my favorite combat quotes are when the bigger robots say things like:

"Stop."
"Stop it."
"No."

They just sound so irritated.

LQX

There should be more bitching about the browser in this game. First it takes way too long and for a game I'm guessing sold tens or thousands on PC I cant understand why I'm only pulling 20 servers at the most. Give us a full server list man.

RotBot

There should be more bitching about the browser in this game. First it takes way too long and for a game I'm guessing sold tens or thousands on PC I cant understand why I'm only pulling 20 servers at the most. Give us a full server list man.

Too bad nobody hangs out in the GAF steam group chat room anymore. I've been using the reddit Borderlands chat room to find games.

I love how I'm at level 30 and I've never found above a blue from a boss or a chest. I understand low drop rates and all but this is ridiculous. Gearbox scum.

Seems like you have terrible luck. Purple is pretty uncommon, but not that uncommon.
Legendary's on the other hand do their name justice, and that's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom