• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There should be more bitching about the browser in this game. First it takes way too long and for a game I'm guessing sold tens or thousands on PC I cant understand why I'm only pulling 20 servers at the most. Give us a full server list man.
Playing with randoms? You are brave!

I love how I'm at level 30 and I've never found above a blue from a boss or a chest. I understand low drop rates and all but this is ridiculous. Gearbox scum.

I'm level 25 (playing Commando) and I already found two purples. But yeah, most of my drops have been green or blues at this point.

I still think my favorite combat quotes are when the bigger robots say things like:

"Stop."
"Stop it."
"No."

They just sound so irritated.

Those are great too.

I didn't care for Borderlands 1 much at all, so I had very low expectations for Borderlands 2. But this game has surprised me so far, it's legitimately good.

HoosTrax

Btw, anyone found a good spot for grinding out levels, like Eridian Promontory in the first game? Places with non-bullet-sponge enemies that give good exp?

I love how I'm at level 30 and I've never found above a blue from a boss or a chest. I understand low drop rates and all but this is ridiculous. Gearbox scum.
I think I've gotten a little spoiled by oranges falling from the sky as well, doing Craw runs and Armory glitch exploits. BL2 seems very stingy in comparison.

Xanathus

Btw, anyone found a good spot for grinding out levels, like Eridian Promontory in the first game? Places with non-bullet-sponge enemies that give good exp?

The Circle of Slaughter missions give hordes of enemies that are level-scaled to you so you'll get consistent exp for doing them. Not sure if it's repeatable but I'm sure you'll be sick of it after finishing 5 levels of it.

Zer0's skill is a free kill on the toughest mob in any encounter to start it off. Hard to beat that.

Ambush+Innervate+Vel0city+Headshot+Deception = godlike base attack + godlike crit for your initial attack.

When you use a shotgun or a rocket launcher for that first attack it is devastating. If it is still alive mark it for death and then empty the rest of your magazine into it, it'll be dead unless it is some ridiculously tough badass.

Toss out a homing shock transfusion mirv grenade(these are awesome btw), find some cover, reload, wait for the grenade to strip all the shields then jump out and kill everything else.

6kaWh.jpg

Cool. Will Try.

Unicorn

I think i know how to use it efficiently :)
http://talent.87bazillion.com/2/siren.php?050541055105434102000000000000

With Thoughtlock phaselock timer is 17s and lasts for 8s, with Quicken on 5 cooldown is reduced to 11.9s, with 15% cooldown reduction class mod or any mod that will increase Your quicken by 3, cooldown will be reduced further to 9-9.5s which will almost give 100% sustain on phaselock.
Sub-sequence though will make sure that phase-lock is on all the time, even if enemy will die and that means that You will have hp regen and fire rate + damage bonus up all the time and You can even kill phaselock enemy for hp orbs if needed.

Harmony tree point distribution really depend of +skill mods You have on Your class mod. Maxing Resoration, Wreck and Elated is highly recommended :)

Ps. Another question, do Fleet bonus work if You dont have any shield equipped? Or it only activates when shield gets depleted in fight?
Haha this is close to a melee/roid build I wanna try.

Question for Axton users:

Is the "Crisis Management" skill active when you're in "Fight for your life" mode, since technically your shield would still be depleted? Does it stack with "Last Ditch Effort"?

I find my style tends to be go in guns blazing and kill as fast as possible. I rely a lot on "Second Wind" opportunities so all those FFYL perks and kill skills would be great.

Unicorn

[Disclaimer: I posted this in the Stupid Questions thread hours ago trying to avoid having to come in here for spoilers reasons but noone is there]

I started a co-op game at my friend's house on my profile, my character got to level 8. Copied the save to a stick and copied to my 360 with the intention of playing through single player with a different character. Hit 'New Game' and play for a bit, go back to the menu and my original character has disappeared, overwritten by the new one (there was no warning like there usually is when you hit new game)!

Can you only play one character/save at a time?

If so it means I can only play co-op with my friend (once a week) or have to have two saves (so two sets of challenges/guns) on the go at the same time.
Hopefully it has been answered but at the main menu press Y to bring up character select.

Anyone on PC manage to find Michael yet? His spawn rate is apparently very low, unlike the 100% spawn rate on console. I know all of his spawn locations, but haven't seen him even once.

Good to know his spawn rate is low on the PC, I was tearing my hair out. I check for him every time I'm in Sanctuary and have never seen him.

splattered

Anyone on PC manage to find Michael yet? His spawn rate is apparently very low, unlike the 100% spawn rate on console. I know all of his spawn locations, but haven't seen him even once.

My friends and i are playing on the 360 and we've only seen him once towards the beginning of the game... we check every time we come back from a story mission and he is just nowhere to be found.

Ricker

seriously watch a youtube vid of it. i searched around for 30 minutes and couldn't find it.
theres a path that i missed because its pretty far to the 'right' of the normal flow of the map. that'll cross you over to the other side.

seriously though, watch a youtube vid and save some headache

Found it...yeah one of the video's helped for sure,thanks everyone for the help for the Enkindling.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition

Michael appears in all versions throughout the whole game. We can confirm that.

Currently console players are experiencing a higher rate of him appearing which is something we plan on addressing in a future update.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My friends and i are playing on the 360 and we've only seen him once towards the beginning of the game... we check every time we come back from a story mission and he is just nowhere to be found.
I'm on PS3, level 9, and I've seen him twice already. He gave me a nice shotgun and a cool assault rifle. His other dialogue is pretty funny too. He mentions a "Crawmerax Prime" at one point.

Question for Axton users:

Is the "Crisis Management" skill active when you're in "Fight for your life" mode, since technically your shield would still be depleted? Does it stack with "Last Ditch Effort"?

I find my style tends to be go in guns blazing and kill as fast as possible. I rely a lot on "Second Wind" opportunities so all those FFYL perks and kill skills would be great.

Also, another question to tack onto this...

Are Kill Skills still active when you're in Fight For Your Life mode? And do they all stack with the other perks?

web01

The drop rates do feel a ton lower than Borderlands 1 especially on purple and gold items.

Do not count enemies that drop predetermined items as drops because you always get those.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The drop rates do feel a ton lower than Borderlands 1 especially on purple and gold items.

Do not count enemies that drop predetermined items as drops because you always get those.
Michael and the slots help balance those out a bit. I've also seen a lot more purples in stores than I did in BL1 (outside of the Knoxx) DLC. The Secret Armory may have spoiled a lot of people since that pack was supposed to make up for the lameness of the contents of the Vault.

Razek

Banned
Also, another question to tack onto this...

Are Kill Skills still active when you're in Fight For Your Life mode? And do they all stack with the other perks?

I don't know about Axton specifically but I'm pretty sure kill skills do not activate in last stand.

Edit: As in they get turned off once you go into last stand. Your second wind kill will give you the skill of course.

sophora

My co-op partner dislikes the slots just because whenever we go back to Sanctuary I make a beeline there after selling stuff. He always initiates the next mission while I'm at the slots...waiting for the inevitable Legendary roll and trying to beat that quick travel countdown to grab it.

A couple of questions.

I'm level 16, but can't seem to find any gear past level 14. Is this normal? I've tried from the vending machines, the dude from sactuary that gives free stuff and the slot machines.

When/where should I spend my golden keys?

A couple of questions.

I'm level 16, but can't seem to find any gear past level 14. Is this normal? I've tried from the vending machines, the dude from sactuary that gives free stuff and the slot machines.

I'm saving the Golden Key until I get to Level 50.

A couple of questions.

A few zones update their inventories as events in the story occur. Sanctuary being one of them. Wait until you get to a totally brand new zone and check those vendors, but I wouldn't worry about it. I was using a level 40 pistol 'til my current level (44) because it was absolutely fantastic and I passed up a lot of higher level guns for it.

The Golden Key Chest scales loot with your level. So for optimal results I'd wait until level 50. For OCD levels of optimal results I'd wait for the last of the DLC to come out in a year or two when the level cap will probably be 60 or 70, but that seems quite silly.

Unrelated to that, I'm on Campus with nothing to do and I just want to go home and play more :(

RE: Micheal on PC.

I read that if you reload your game that it will basically 're-roll' if he shows up or not. So basically load game -> run around santuary -> re-load if not there -> repeat.

Can anyone confirm?

I don't know about Axton specifically but I'm pretty sure kill skills do not activate in last stand.

Edit: As in they get turned off once you go into last stand. Your second wind kill will give you the skill of course.

That's kind of a bummer. I was hoping to run into a pile of baddies, kill one, have the kill skill activate, and if I go into fight for your life mode, have those last stand perks kick in and stack on top the kill still. That'd almost be guaranteed second winds.

That's kind of a bummer. I was hoping to run into a pile of baddies, kill one, have the kill skill activate, and if I go into fight for your life mode, have those last stand perks kick in and stack on top the kill still. That'd almost be guaranteed second winds.

I know Maya at least has a skill specifically designed for Fight For Life Shots that adds Fire to them.

Yes, same here. IMO, it would be a waste to use it before level 50.

'it' does assume singular, and if you've pre-ordered, signed up for SHIFT and followed Randy on Twitter, you should have at least 3 keys by now.

Which is why I put one in at Level 20 last night and got a ridiculous rocket launcher. Didn't love it, but, did sell for like $2500.

abundant

Yes, same here. IMO, it would be a waste to use it before level 50.

The Golden Key is overrated. People act like it's a guaranteed purple gun scaled to your level that's going to be God like, but the truth is you're more than likely going to get something that's below what you currently have equipped, stat wise.

Megasoum

Banned
The Golden Key is overrated. People act like it's a guaranteed purple gun scaled to your level that's going to be God like, but the truth is you're more than likely going to get something that's below what you currently have equipped, stat wise.

Exactly...and what's the point on waiting until the end of the game to get a good weapon? To show off around Sanctuary once you're done with all the content?

I know there's DLC coming but still...

steadfast

I agree. I got two okay grenade mods. Don't put the golden key on a pedestal; it's not that great.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Which doesn't change the fact that you might as well wait to get to 50th to use it. Higher level junk is worth more than lower level junk.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Exactly...and what's the point on waiting until the end of the game to get a good weapon? To show off around Sanctuary once you're done with all the content?

Probably because you can easily get more than serviceable weapons at lower levels so why not wait till you get a max level weapon that could be a upgrade versus using it early on when weapons are easily replaced. Like if I used it in vault hunter mode right now it would be quickly replaced with even a green so no reason to use it when I could just get a free epic at 50 without having to kill the the end game bosses.

Raide

HAHA! Killed an enemy called One Armed Bandit and I thought it was a loot thing, turns out he has a Slot Machine on his back. Threw in some cash and it gave me a grenade...in the face!

So I started a Zero run....his skill is probably the worst of all 8 Borderlands characters though I haven't played Maya or the zerker yet. It's hard to imagine them being worse than this. I guess I'll be leveling the sniper tree.

I started as Zer0, got to level 13, then made a Gunzerker and haven't looked back. Love that class.

+ Dual wield weapons which basically doubles you DPS for ~20 seconds.
+ Instant 50% health regen, plus gradual health regen.
+ Increased resistance.
+ AMMO REGEN!!

- Your character looks like Cartmen's WoW character.

HoosTrax

Endgame for me is going to consist of Terra-something-something-Craw-guy-equivalent runs, for which I assume you will want to be decently geared.

nel e nel

Yeah, I used one right when I got to Sanctuary the first time and got a pretty good sniper and SMG. It was with my commando, so I put them in the Secret Stash for my assassin and siren. They were definitely better than what I had for those characters at the time, so it was a nice little boost until I found something to replace them with.

I'll probably use another during the new game+ when I get to sanctuary again for the first time.

Razek

Banned
Probably because you can easily get more than serviceable weapons at lower levels so why not wait till you get a max level weapon that could be a upgrade versus using it early on when weapons are easily replaced.

If the game starts being a jerk to me and doesn't want to give me a worthwhile upgrade, I use a key. That's the way I've done it anyways. I've got 1 left, but this playthrough has been pretty good on the weapon drops/machines so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom