• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

I didn't think Caustic Caverns was too bad but I was gunzerking double SMGs, one of which was slag. Crystalisks were annoying at first until I realized you can punch one of their crystal covered legs to immediately break it and deal 1/3 of its health bar in damage. They go down quick when you only need three punches to do it.

CC isn't too hard except for that one Badass Pyro Thresher spawn. I hate fighting all the Threshers in general but the BPT's submerge attack is garbage to deal with solo.

Randdalf

What are Goliaths supposed to be anyways?

Love those guys.

The best part is when there's 5 of them in the Slaughterhouse and you headshot them all and they have a massive brawl. When one defeats another they get more powerful, so we had to take down an Ultimate Badass Towering Goliath by the end of it.

HoosTrax

CC isn't too hard except for that one Badass Pyro Thresher spawn. I hate fighting all the Threshers in general but the BPT's submerge attack is garbage to deal with solo.
The way I usually kill him is to run inside the enclosed area (with the save point), then strafe side to side while shooting him to avoid his lobbed projectiles.

nel e nel

What are Goliaths supposed to be anyways?

Love those guys.

Best guess I've come up with is it's a reference to Master Blaster from Thunderdome.

The best part is when there's 5 of them in the Slaughterhouse and you headshot them all and they have a massive brawl. When one defeats another they get more powerful, so we had to take down an Ultimate Badass Towering Goliath by the end of it.

They can level up 4 times and become a GOD-liath. I was able to do it by kiting one of them from the Buzzard Academy all through the Varkid nesting grounds.

They need to put a vending machine in Moxxi's!!! Make life easier for the slot junkies.

THIS!!!

So much SlotsSlots SlotsSlotsSlots SlotsSlots > Down The Street > Around The Corner > First Aid Vending > Back Around The Corner > Back Down The Street (Watch The Dead Body!) > SlotsSlots SlotsSlotsSlots SlotsSlots

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
? Two of the DLC raised the cap to 69 and a patch if I remember correctly.

nice! I did the same thing :)
Ah, didn't realize that Robolution raised the cap as well. I just got the DLC bundle this month and only remembered Knoxx raising the cap to 61.
1. Assault rifle
2. Shotgun
3. Sniper
4. Rocket Launcher

Every weapon always having some element.

This is the same set up as I had in the first, although I didn't usually have elementals (outside of corrosive) since I always got really crappy elemental guns. Hopefully that changes in BL2.

I've killed the last story boss maybe 10 times at this point on true vault hunter mode and maybe I'm just unlucky, but I feel the loot he was dropping on normal is far more interesting and the purples far more plentiful. I'm kind of disappointed.

zlatko

Banned
So with the recent news that DOA5's online is subpar, I'm now looking at picking up Blands 2 instead today. I'll make the decision at the store, but a few questions quick since I'm at work if you guys could help answer would be great!

1) How much longer is the campaign or just how long in general is it?

2) Side quests this time around---are they varied up and more fruitful?

3) Are NPCs in town worth a shit to engage with?

4) How deep is character customization this time around aside from just skill trees?(Appearances)

5) What is there(if anything) for competitive MP options? Is it at all balanced or is it a cluster fuck like what Blands 1 tossed in for shits and giggles?

6) Will I be missing out on much if my save file for Blands 1 is on PS3, but I'll get 2 for 360?

7) Any issues with the game that have popped up from many people?(Joining game session issues, freezes, glitches, etc)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Slag Pistol
Corrosive AR
Fire Sniper
Corrosive Sniper

I replace one of the snipers with a rocket launcher if I think I might need it to get out of fight for your life.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So with the recent news that DOA5's online is subpar, I'm now looking at picking up Blands 2 instead today. I'll make the decision at the store, but a few questions quick since I'm at work if you guys could help answer would be great!

4) How deep is character customization this time around aside from just skill trees?(Appearances)

5) What is there(if anything) for competitive MP options? Is it at all balanced or is it a cluster fuck like what Blands 1 tossed in for shits and giggles?

6) Will I be missing out on much if my save file for Blands 1 is on PS3, but I'll get 2 for 360?

7) Any issues with the game that have popped up from many people?(Joining game session issues, freezes, glitches, etc)
1) 35-50 hours depending on how thorough you are

2) I'm not too far but they seem much more varied, they even have optional objectives and choices for rewards now

3) They say more but it's still mostly the mission people that actually have real dialogue. Michael is worth talking to for the loot

4) Much more in depth character appearence customization. Each class has a ton of unlockable heads and skins

5) Same as 1

6)You'll just miss out on a head for each character

7)I've had no issues so far. Much better performance and more polish on PS3 this time.

Was randomly testing the spread of a shotgun, fired a clip into the side of a building and got this.

PvJhY.jpg

<3

Razek

Banned
Yeah, uh... so why did Gearbox give doc mercy homing transfusions insta kill grenades? The moment he throws them, it's over.

Sorry. Gaming sites blocked at work (strangely except for Gaf). Synopsis?

"In the real world, Michael John Mamaril was a young man who passed away at the age of 22, a victim of cancer. He and his pal Carlo were huge Borderlands fans, so Carlo wrote to Gearbox asking if the developer could record a eulogy read by the voice of Claptrap.

Gearbox complied in late 2011 -- listen to the eulogy at Destructoid -- but the dev team also went a step further: they inserted Michael Mamaril into Borderlands 2. I ran into him multiple times in the game's town of Sanctuary during my review playthrough, and he always had an awesome piece of rare gear to give me. The first time, there was even an Achievement unlocked. And that's the heartwarming story of how Borderlands 2 honors the memory of Michael Mamaril, someone you'll always be happy to see when you meet him."

up it to 4 player difficulty?

I'm talking about relative to when I farmed him alone at 30-35 the gear just isn't as good. That being said its hard to find people who want to that boss specifically. Everybody seems to go after Terramorphus, which would be fine if the shotgun I want dropped from him, but everything indicates only the last story boss drops it.

Nothing remotely creepy about it. Gearbox, you rule.

You'll miss out on 1 head and 1 body customization option, but in return you'll be getting the better of the 2 console versions according to DF. The PS3 version has a hard time maintaining 30 FPS whereas 360 doesn't.

Davedough

"In the real world, Michael John Mamaril was a young man who passed away at the age of 22, a victim of cancer. He and his pal Carlo were huge Borderlands fans, so Carlo wrote to Gearbox asking if the developer could record a eulogy read by the voice of Claptrap.

Gearbox complied in late 2011 -- listen to the eulogy at Destructoid -- but the dev team also went a step further: they inserted Michael Mamaril into Borderlands 2. I ran into him multiple times in the game's town of Sanctuary during my review playthrough, and he always had an awesome piece of rare gear to give me. The first time, there was even an Achievement unlocked. And that's the heartwarming story of how Borderlands 2 honors the memory of Michael Mamaril, someone you'll always be happy to see when you meet him."

Thats very cool. Good on Gearbox for doing that. That kind of hits me particularly hard as I'm currently putting my daughter through chemotherapy to battle cancer. Looks like I now have to start looking for him.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That is really creepy. The actual eulogy that is.
Watch the Claptrap read engagement proposal.

Thats very cool. Good on Gearbox for doing that. That kind of hits me particularly hard as I'm currently putting my daughter through chemotherapy to battle cancer. Looks like I now have to start looking for him.
I wish you and your family the best. I've spent most of my time since finishing college living at home and helping my mom through her cancer treatments since she has no one else. It's hard but good support makes all the difference. Stay strong for your daughter. I'm sure she'll make it through :)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

30+ Hours

They just make you run through the areas you've already cleared. Over. and over. and over. They are completely and utterly awful.

If you find 4Chan & Reddit to be hilarious then you'll like the characters in this game. If not then it's nails on a chalkboard.

There are quite a few skins and heads to find. Of course it's a first person game so... yea.

You can duel people. That's it.

Nope.

Only bug I consistently ran into was guns randomly getting infinite ammo.

mackattk

As a person who has seen what cancer (and chemo) can do to people, I pray for you and your family. I hope everything goes well, and I sincerely wish for the best.

30+ Hours

I'd just like to say that I'm at 50 hours or so and I'm still in my first play-through. But I've been thorough, lost some time lost (because the map blows sometimes), and have done *every* side quest to this point without fail. I think I'm close to the end but am not really sure. level 33 atm.

Point was, if you plan on doing side missions as well (and not just the main quest), you can bleed out much more than ~30-40 hours.

Davedough

all the best to your family, man.

I wish you and your family the best. I've spent most of my time since finishing college living at home and helping my mom through her cancer treatments since she has no one else. It's hard but good support makes all the difference. Stay strong for your daughter. I'm sure she'll make it through :)

As a person who has seen what cancer (and chemo) can do to people, I pray for you and your family. I hope everything goes well, and I sincerely wish for the best.

Thank you guys. =)

Svartnatt

Good to know his spawn rate is low on the PC, I was tearing my hair out. I check for him every time I'm in Sanctuary and have never seen him.

PC here, and I've found him 3, maybe 4 times since I made it to Sanctuary. I check all spawn locations every time I'm in town.

From what I can remember, twice he was outside the black market vendor's place, and once in the little alley to the south of main square.

Only one of the things he gave me was an upgrade, but that ain't stopping me from checking for him every time.

Coconut

Banned

Link to this sadness please.

1) Yes

2) No

3) Yes

4) No

5) No

6) No

7) No

nel e nel

Gears of War set up...brilliant. I'm tired of always switching to the wrong weapon. This should stop that.

Yeah, I do a similar, except I'm not really using rocket launchers so much. So down is usually my sniper, and I rotate between AR and SMG depending on how much ammo I have.

Yeah, uh... so why did Gearbox give doc mercy homing transfusions insta kill grenades? The moment he throws them, it's over.

Yeah - definitely a bullshit fight. I had to drag him outside and use a vehicle to take him down. Unfortunately he didn't drop anything good because of this - but his gun could kill me in a few hits and his grenade would target me even while in deception.

Overall i love the game, but the bosses are crap and generally not fun to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom