• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helscream

Banned
I hit level 31 with my Gunzerker about a hour ago. I have just finished clearing out
Sawtooth Cavern
and just opened up
Arid Nexus

Something that I notice was it seems like the difficulty either spiked or my gear is already outdated. Problem is I have been hard pressed to find chest recently. The last best place I found plenty of chest to farm was
Thousands cuts where you meet the Slab King who turns out to be Brick himself
. Most of my gear is level 25-28 blues. I cannot seem to find anything past level 28. And what humors me is enemies can kill me as fast as I can kill them. Like it literally takes 1 shot to shave off 1000 points of my shield. Hell I even tried to go back and tryed to kill
Dukino's mother in Lynchwood
. Still get walloped. And its funny because it says level 28 Trivial. Which the last 9 quest I got said Trivial yet enemies can still wallop me.

In Borderlands one when I found a area that had some chest laying around I would normally restart the area. Killing the surrounding mobs and loot the chest till I leveled up and upgraded my gear. In this game that strategy seems very unlikely. Not only are chest really rare ( or they are just extremely well hidden ), but enemies that I only get 58-100exp for killing seem to destroy me if I am not careful.

It really is a major buzzkill for me right now. Not having a lot of fun and started to get annoyed. So is this to be expected? Or am I doing something wrong here? I don't remember there be a difficulty spike in Borderlands 1. As long as you did your side quest along the way you could prepare yourself.

Raide

Beat the game. The lack of notable improvements over the first game leave me somewhat unimpressed, but overall it was pretty enjoyable game again. For the next Borderlands they have to get a bit more creative, though.

Such as? I thought the full rework of the weapons, 4 new classes, new storyline with way more content in vanilla version etc etc was a good attempt at mixing things up. Too much and it ain't Borderlands.

mclaren777

I looked around but couldn't find answers to these two questions...

• How does the PSN version compare to the disc-based version (loading, etc)?
• Will my save game from the PS3 disc be compatible with the PSN version?

Lakitu

st5fu
Is anybody high level with Zero? I'm just curious because right now at level 18 I'm finding it pretty easy, I'm doing Tiny Tina's first quest now. I'm just wondering if there's a difficulty spike later on.

Such as? I thought the full rework of the weapons, 4 new classes, new storyline with way more content in vanilla version etc etc was a good attempt at mixing things up. Too much and it ain't Borderlands.

Next game should have customizable weapons, but not to the point where "loot" would be obsolete.

see5harp

Is anybody high level with Zero? I'm just curious because right now at level 18 I'm finding it pretty easy, I'm doing Tiny Tina's first quest now. I'm just wondering if there's a difficulty spike later on.

I'm right past that area and I can say that they only thing that seems to challenge at times is boss encounters.

oktarb

Next game should have customizable weapons, but not to the point where "loot" would be obsolete.

ug, no thanks. I already spend too much time in menus messing with weapons and stats. I would like the ability to place orders with the various manufactures. You still get random weapon stats but you can select the type on gun and a tier (color) for sets priced based on the level of gun you order.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Cross-posted from the PC performance thread, which isn't all that active:

Not strictly a performance question, but has anyone else noticed some weird texture flickering in the outdoors environments? The faces of the rocks/mountains will flicker briefly every now and then when I move through the environments (it seems to happen more frequently the faster I move, so it's most noticeable when driving). It doesn't happen when I stand still (even if I'm moving the camera around), and I haven't seen it happen on any other textures (such as anything on the ground). It also never happens indoors, in Sanctuary, etc. It's just outdoors, on those rocks.

One theory I have is that it happens as a higher LOD version of the texture is loaded, but that doesn't quite explain why it's only on those objects.

ug, no thanks. I already spend too much time in menus messing with weapons and stats. I would like the ability to place orders with the various manufactures. You still get random weapon stats but you can select the type on gun and a tier (color) for sets priced based on the level of gun you order.

When I open the menu, I spend maybe less than 20 seconds on there. I'm curious as to what you're messing with in regards to weapons and stats that makes you spend too much time?

I like your other idea, though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got the chance to kill a god tier Goliath. Got a sweet corrosive pistol out of it, too.

Edit : And I just hit level 36. :-D

The next game needs to make it so that levels never act as a barrier to forming a group. I don't know how they'd do it, but it can be a hassle to synch up levels with various buddies to form a good group.

I've had decent success this time around, but only because Borderlands 2 has consumed our lives.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
THIS!!!

So much SlotsSlots SlotsSlotsSlots SlotsSlots > Down The Street > Around The Corner > First Aid Vending > Back Around The Corner > Back Down The Street (Watch The Dead Body!) > SlotsSlots SlotsSlotsSlots SlotsSlots

There is a little Bar by overlook that has a vendor machine and a single slot game. FYI

Razek

Banned
Cross-posted from the PC performance thread, which isn't all that active:

There is a specific name for it, but it's when two geometric shapes are at the same positions and the game doesn't know which to draw first. So they 'fight' to be in the camera space. Thus, the flickering. It happens with a lot of the far away object in this game. take a sniper and zoom in on the hyperion base, it even flickers too.

Im almost level 40 with him and i went bloodshed, switching to cunning for bosses. New game plus is pretty tough actually, feels like most enemies kill me in only a couple hits

Lakitu

st5fu
I hope the next game removes level requirement on loot. Yeah, it would mess up the balance but they should make it hard for players going solo to get it the first time. But it would probably break the game if a higher level player joined... yeah forget that idea.

Hmm. My main reasoning for what ive been doing is because I feel I spend less.

I'm still only at level 13 but I go into the slots with about 2000 and last time - making sure to sell the junk I get throughout - I ended up with around 8 erium(or whatever they're called) a purple smg, a badass launcher and my best shotgun to date.
You've had a lot better results than I have, then. I do play the slots for eridium, but I've only really gotten one useful gun out of it.

Gorillaz

What? Really? My opinion doesn't mean much because I haven't played Max Payne 3 but the videos I saw of it looked awful.

I haven't heard anyone say anything that glowing about MP3.

Most review sites basically went on about how it's a great example of gaming being an art/medium,
IGN said it so take that as you will
and about how cinematic it is and junk. Personally I wasn't that big of a fan of it but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being picked for GOTY from places.

Personally so far I would say this game has a strong chance for me. Halo 4 being it's last threat but im a little weary on halo this time around so BL2 might be it for me personally.

Dennis

Banned
Dammit GAF, shit is cray.

Borderlands is insanely good looking on PC.

What a port. Gearbox deserves the highest praise.

Two points of gameplay criticism:

Two many boxes with tiny sum of money. Press x is not that much fun.

And I wish there were a little more RPG depth and little less constant shooty shooty.

*shurg* New stories, new classes, new weapons is pretty much standard fare for a sequel and might as well be DLC. My biggest problem is definitely the boring mission design. The story missions are okay I think, but the side stuff is just so cumbersome. Just following the waypoints and hoping for some enemies/loot to appear inbetween gets old pretty fast and I had that problem in Borderlands 1, too. That's something they should definitely address in the next game.

oktarb

The next game needs to make it so that levels never act as a barrier to forming a group. I don't know how they'd do it, but it can be a hassle to synch up levels with various buddies to form a good group.

I've had decent success this time around, but only because Borderlands 2 has consumed our lives.

I think Guild Wards 2 handled this pretty damn well. High level characters can level down. All there stats and weapons lower to meet with person they're with AND the area they are in. Borderlands doesn't need to copy the area aspect too but it did always make every area viable for playing without feeling like you're wasting your time. No mater where you are you're always earned decent exp.

The only advantage the high level character really had was access to more abilities and trinkets that were nerfed down.

Hell level 2 characters can even join the world versus world pvp and are autoleveled up to lvl 80 but they don't have access to all the skills they would have unlocked by progressing to 80 naturally. This means you you don't just get one shoted by everyone and you can hang or even win a fight if you're on your toes. Sure the natural 80 still has an advantage but its not a simple matter of you're 70; I'm 80; I win.

BL3 could do something like this, obviously modified to fit their design.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Most review sites basically went on about how it's a great example of gaming being an art/medium,
IGN said it so take that as you will
and about how cinematic it is and junk. Personally I wasn't that big of a fan of it but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being picked for GOTY from places.

Personally so far I would say this game has a strong chance for me. Halo 4 being it's last threat but im a little weary on halo this time around so BL2 might be it for me personally.

MP3 looked very disjointed to me, which is why I have absolutely no desire to play it (and I haven't, to my shame, played the first two).

My GotY contenders will either be BL2, Halo 4, GW2, and maybe Assassin's Creed 3. This game has really surpassed my expectations. We need more original FPS games.

Dave1988

Uhh, you have to make it spawn. Weaken a normal varkid until it goes into a pod and inject it.

I did. The problem here is that I've injected a pod that got destroyed a second later and the Mutated Varkid never spawned. You can't inject other pods until you kill the first MV :(

EDIT: Nevermind, restarting the game allowed me to inject another Varkid. I'm back in action :D

Blessing in disguise, I fucking hate those bastards.
No kidding. I got killed at least once by every one of those assholes. Each time I ran around for minutes trying to get a larva to pod up before getting killed by your "fire support" in the area and then for some reason had to fight the mutant varkid all alone. Every time.

What the hell, guy?

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Just played a couple hours of Borderlands 2 at my friend's house, after playing a little of Borderlands at a co-workers's. The splitscreen is so goddamn frustrating for me, because I always feel like I can't see shit. I was a bit excited reading about Zer0, but the character in the game is underwhelming. Partly my fault because I was expecting him to be like Mordin. And the music is so depressing and boring, completely unlike the cool and stylish action stuff presented in the commercial. Hopefully that part comes in at some point later, because I want some high-energy music while I'm cutting and shooting people up.

neoism

FIRST TIME
imH6BJImcWU0B.jpg

This drops right next to it lol

lol the orange is awesome though... wonder what the red text means....?

Coconut

Banned
Dang, the story missions in this game bum me out :(

you really want to get bummed out
go through the animal preserve listen to all the echos about the eridium testing. Then go do tiny tinas tea party quest. Also take note the Tiny Tina's right arm is the arm of a bandit.

JoeFu

Banned
you really want to get bummed out
go through the animal preserve listen to all the echos about the eridium testing. Then go do tiny tinas tea party quest. Also take note the Tiny Tina's right arm is the arm of a bandit.

Yeah I heard the echo recorders on that one.... and I figured what it meant.

Just finished Where Angels Fear....

Man

Gorillaz

MP3 looked very disjointed to me, which is why I have absolutely no desire to play it (and I haven't, to my shame, played the first two).

My GotY contenders will either be BL2, Halo 4, GW2, and maybe Assassin's Creed 3. This game has really surpassed my expectations. We need more original FPS games.

Agreed.

Hopefully we see a Borderlands 3 next gen....Or a Borderlands 3 period.

Little nervous cause I feel they may end the series after this but I hope not, I mean isn't the sales of this game huge compared to BL1? Because if BL1 was a cult classic and a sequel was made, I can imagine they must be thinking of a BL3 after how well this one is doing.

Grisby

I know a lot of people hate him but man, sometimes Claptrap gets me going. I love his physical comedy mostly and the menu screen with him just doing shit is great.
Dang, the story missions in this game bum me out :(
Yeah, it's definitely more grim stuff this time around. I'm finding it more entertaining but more of a drag too in some ways.

Chris R

FIRST TIME

This drops right next to it lol

lol the orange is awesome though... wonder what the red text means....?

I was using my level 4 orange for quite a while even though the displayed damage was under my other weapons, just because it was a freaking grenade launcher and would spawn another grenade after the first shot landed.

Give the Orange a chance, odds are it will kick ass.

Megasoum

Banned
Going through
Opportunity
right now. It's really great to have a change of scenery but this map can be really confusing sometimes when you are looking for objectives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom