• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nel e nel

You did it correctly, but if you're too slow about it (I didn't have a good enough weapon on my first playthrough and kept dying to adds), then it drags on much longer and you have to complete another section in another area. It is possible to "fail" the section you just completed.

I wonder if that is were the final
missing car keys
are to finish that location specific challenge.

abundant

This is my build at 50, though I'm only around 28 so it could change. I think Blight Phoenix is pretty decent though the damage could be a bit better but with Ruin, Cloud Kill, Blight Phoenix and Helios you're basically dealing a ton of Fire and Corrosive damage anywhere between you and your phaselock, plus some shock and slag to boot. Tried to make my Phaselock a bit better to make Chain Reaction a bit more useful but we'll see how that turns out once I actually get to that point. I dislike the Cata tree because it is pretty cookie cutter and the skills like Helios and Blight Phoenix don't give you enough information on how much damage you'll be doing or whether it scales, and if it does is it based off your weapon, level or what?

Anyway sorry to bring the topic back up, but I love discussing builds!

Good build. My advice - Get Converge to suck in nearby people so they too will be burned, shocked, slagged, and corroded. Also you should get Ward because in TVHM, your shields and shield delay will be crucial. Otherwise my build is similar. The Cataclysm tree is great.

nel e nel

Insaniac

was playing last night with a friend and was fighting boss
BNK-3R
and the thing just stopped flying and glitched out and didn't move in the air, we killed it and it didn't reward us with the quest so we had to leave and come back and re-fight it, but from then on, all the dialogue was really screwy and mis-timed

MrDaravon

For the new page

Check the 360achievement forums; there are a number of challenges in categories that don't appear or unlock at all until you've completed Level 5 of another challenge. I didn't understand why I didn't get the achievement either, until I found out I had to complete Level 5 of Open Wide (750 point-blank shotgun kills) to even unlock the Shotgun Sniper Challenge which I didn't even know existed.

The point of having so many guns is to keep switching guns. The fact that you hot key four guns at one alone is more than enough for your hoarding obsession.

huh?

it's not about hoarding; it's about being able to carry what you may need in any given encounter. I think 45 or 50 backpack slots would do it, as it would allow me to carry 1 elemental type of each weapon class I use (pistol, smg, AR, sniper x 5 elements = 20-25), and a good number of relics, nades and class mods.

27 slots means leaving unique shit on the ground because I simply don't have the space or not having the optimal setup for every situation. If that was the intention (to not be prepared for every situation), that's fine. Doesn't make me feel better, but I understand the thought behind it.

Wunder

And I love reading it! That setup looks amazing. BACK TO THE RESPEC MACHINE!

Good build. My advice - Get Converge to suck in nearby people so they too will be burned, shocked, slagged, and corroded. Also you should get Ward because in TVHM, your shields and shield delay will be crucial. Otherwise my build is similar. The Cataclysm tree is great.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Good looking out on the Converge, probably should've snagged that for 1 point. Will have to investigate on Ward, what would you give up? Bits of Quicken and Inertia?

EDIT: Also I hope they don't go too crazy in terms of game play with the DLC, I want to feel powerful but I still don't want to max out my talents or have a ton of bag space. I dunno, I don't really feel the need to be super powerful, and I think that'd really kill Borderlands 2 for me, a bit like how 1 did it pre-DLC.

huh?

it's not about hoarding; it's about being able to carry what you may need in any given encounter. I think 45 or 50 backpack slots would do it, as it would allow me to carry 1 elemental type of each weapon class I use (pistol, smg, AR, sniper x 5 elements = 20-25), and a good number of relics, nades and class mods.

27 slots means leaving unique shit on the ground because I simply don't have the space or not having the optimal setup for every situation. If that was the intention (to not be prepared for every situation), that's fine. Doesn't make me feel better, but I understand the thought behind it.

This is actually a fair point. Been in mad sitchies where I didn't have the right element for a quest or a quest bonus. And I'd hate to have to carry a certain version of a gun if it's weaker than another version just because it rocks the element I need.

Good good point, my mayne.

Good point.

oktarb

Ran into my first real complaint. I've out leveled all my side quests. I'm level 25 and all my quests are trivial. I realize I need to progress the story in order to up the difficulty of new quests but this leaves me with 15 or so quests that are null and void unless I want to run them for story alone.

I ran a couple and it wasn't even worth killing the mobs, they gave way under powered gear and the exp was 1 or 2 points. So I found my self just running past everything to get to the various check points. This sucks because I really want to extract every once of lovely gaming nectar that exists.

I've decided to skip them and try experiencing them on NG+ or at least with my co-op team.

Not trying to beat a dead horse but this points to the genius of GW2 system.

nel e nel

You can shoot at his feet. Just shoot around him and he'll follow.

Has anyone gotten the Goliath, Meet David achivement? I can't get the golith to get past the Ultimate Badass Goliath stage. He runs out of guys to smash.

I got this in Tundra Express. I made sure to do a fresh load so that all the enemies were spawned, went to Buzzard Academy, got a couple of them rampaging, and kited the one that was left through all of the Varkid fields.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Good looking out on the Converge, probably should've snagged that for 1 point. Will have to investigate on Ward, what would you give up? Bits of Quicken and Inertia?

EDIT: Also I hope they don't go too crazy in terms of game play with the DLC, I want to feel powerful but I still don't want to max out my talents or have a ton of bag space. I dunno, I don't really feel the need to be super powerful, and I think that'd really kill Borderlands 2 for me, a bit like how 1 did it pre-DLC.

Could someone throw this advice into one of nem build sites so I can send myself the link for later? I've followed a few that ditched Ward and have really missed it lately so one that keeps Ward would be So So Def Bass All Stars

So Converge doesn't do what I expected it to do, which was pull multiple enemies into a single phaselock. What it does is just nudge surrounding enemies towards the locked target for a moment and then they're free to go about their business.

I'm finding this class increasingly disappointing. Maya is definitely no Lilith

So Converge doesn't do what I expected it to do, which was pull multiple enemies into a single phaselock. What it does is just nudge surrounding enemies towards the locked target for a moment and then they're free to go about their business.

that's odd. for me, it definitely pulls the enemies in, then drops them next to the phaselocked opponent and deals them damage. the range on those getting pulled in is pretty big too.

for me, at least.

so me and my friend played for 10hrs straight.. wow.

anwyays, in a nut shell, how do you guys get legendary weapons so easily? we're level 22 and all we see are just greens with SOME blues... :|

edgefusion

Just started playing it today and am absolutely loving it so far. The weapons all look much more exotic than in Borderlands 1. I have a question though, what is a "ve-hikkle" and why does this woman keep telling me to get one?

anwyays, in a nut shell, how do you guys get legendary weapons so easily? we're level 22 and all we see are just greens with SOME blues... :|

some are guaranteed with certain side missions. some are just random drops we're getting. some are being found in slot machines.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'll never understand why they only gave us less than half of the slots we had in BL1. Not to mention the bank is super small too.

I would assume it's because they wanted to add all the other stuff to the menu like character models, gun models, the rotating panels, etc. and keeping the weapon count down lessens the hit to RAM or something like that.

The bank being so small is what really annoys me.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

I don't know. But a good way to get good loot is to pop the head of a Goliath and hide. After he's done killing everything go kill him and see what he drops.

mackattk

I would assume it's because they wanted to add all the other stuff to the menu like character models, gun models, the rotating panels, etc. and keeping the weapon count down lessens the hit to RAM or something like that.

The bank being so small is what really annoys me.

That really shouldn't affect performance though. The general interface for the PC is pretty rough, I have accidently sold some of my good weapons because the scrolling on the weapons is finicky.

nel e nel

huh?

I agree, but even still, I have 1 of each category of weapon (pistol, SMG, AR, shotgun, sniper, rocketlauncher), with 4 more additional ones for elements (You don't need 1 of each element for each category of gun, that's kinda superfluous). Even at level 18, I don't need more than 1 really good shield/grenade/class mod/relic. That's 14 items total, 8 of which are equipped, which leaves me with only 6 slots being used up in my backpack.

Once your in the teens to 20s, level-wise, white weapons aren't worth picking up, even for trash, so that leaves 21 slots left. I usually keep a couple extra class mods on hand in case I'm playing co-op and want to have a team buff, and maybe a couple of sentimental guns, so let's call it 10. That is still 17 slots left over, plenty of room.

My thinking is that they put this cap on to cut down on hoarding in co-op games so that people aren't getting bent out of shape when some douche is running around and grabbing everything.

Insaniac

Depends on the enemy perhaps, but it basically works like a singularity grenades, blackholes all nearby enemies to the phaselocked enemy, works wonders when you have Helios/Acid cloud and you toss a AOE fire/corrosive/tesla grenade

abundant

Knock down Accelerate from 5 to 4, Inertia from 5 to 2 and Quicken from 4 to 2. Ward needs to be at 5 to get -40% on your Shield Delay. In TVHM, once your shields are down, just one or two hits deplete your health to 0 so having as short of a Shield Delay as possible is real important.

Maybe forget Quicken and add the 2 points to Inertia. Find a Mod or Relic that shortens the cooldown time instead.

steadfast

Just started playing it today and am absolutely loving it so far. The weapons all look much more exotic than in Borderlands 1. I have a question though, what is a "ve-hikkle" and why does this woman keep telling me to get one?

Angel in the snow area? Vehicle is the only way to make the ramp jump to get to the next section.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
huh?

Weapon limit really sucks when you're playing Salvador as you need to stock a lot of stuff to keep both hands equipped while Gunzerking. I do probably hoard a bit more than I need to, as I often do in games, but when I'm running around with 3 or 4 different elements on long and short range weapons, plus the odd assortment of class mods or elemental grenades, I usually end up with only about 6 or 7 open inventory slots. I generally equip one sniper rifle and three other weapons that are close range, but sometimes drop the sniper rifle depending on the mission (which has happened more and more lately). SMG/shotgun loadout alone on missions where I'm fighting both robots and fleshy things takes up all 4 slots since to a Gunzerker 4 slots kind of equals only two weapons and I need one for each type of enemy.

There are a few slots I know I'm keeping just for hoarding/cosmetic purposes (like packing multiple fire SMGs, for instance) but that would only open up my inventory a little bit. Probably need to cut down my carried sniper rifles a bit but that would only open up another 2 slots or so, for instance.

For those running out of bank slots you can create a mule character like people would in Diablo. Make a new character, get them to Sanctuary and unlock the secret vault and the bank, upgrade the bank as you see fit. Then just trade a chunk of items through secret vault and keep them in your mule vault until you need them and just reverse the trade. Infinite archival item storage.

Saprol

The main quest should be for you to restore access to the system so that you can CATCH-A-RIDEEEEEE otherwise you're just stuck.

I sort of wish the backpack wasn't so compressed. Even an extra column would be nice. I don't like scrolling to reach items that I want to sell / mark trash / equip.

that's odd. for me, it definitely pulls the enemies in, then drops them next to the phaselocked opponent and deals them damage. the range on those getting pulled in is pretty big too.

for me, at least.

I haven't tested it extensively or anything but the couple times that it worked nicely was with humanoid targets.

I tried phaselocking group of stalkers and were thrown all over the place.

Wasn't what I was expecting, really. In my head it would have been something like a ME singularity

koryuken

For guys that are saying that the Siren has "meh" dps, I think that you are very wrong.

Granted, I am only lvl 25 and not 50, but you have to take into account the class mods that she gets. Her basic class mod (from lvl 18) grants + 77% dmg with SMG's (-11% accuracy). Do other classes get such ridiculous dmg bonuses from class mods?

You add in the REAPER skill that does + 40% gun damage, ACCELERATE that does +20% gun damage and MIND'S EYE that adds 25% crit hit...and you got some serious fucking DPS with SMG's. If you guys are curious, here is my build:

http://talent.87bazillion.com/2/siren.php?055001000052000000005005510551

Razek

Banned
I'm going to have to agree with the posters here who mention Maya's elemental tree being pretty bad. The actual damaging skills are pathetic and do about as much damage as 1 bullet from my guns, and the support skills aren't all that great sans reaper.

The problem with Maya is unlike the other 3 characters, her 3 final skills are pretty lame. The slag lobbing one is okay, but that whole tree isn't very useful in single player since half of it is about healing yourself. Who cares when it takes 1 to 2 bullets to deplete your entire health reserve anyways? Axton's final skills are my favorite by far.

Edit: She's not a bad character. I just think her whole 'elemental side' is awful compared to Lilith's. Phoenix was the bomb in the first game.

abundant

While she is no Lilith, the Cataclysm tree wrecks everyone except those with shields and armor by lvl 20 and by lvl 31 you get Ruin which will destroy everyone. Ruin, Helios, Cloud Kill, and Coverage is real brutal. Not as brutal as Phaswalk, but still brutal.

Knock down Accelerate from 5 to 4, Inertia from 5 to 2 and Quicken from 4 to 2. Ward needs to be at 5 to get -40% on your Shield Delay. In TVHM, once your shields are down, just one or two hits deplete your health to 0 so having as short of a Shield Delay as possible is real important.

Maybe forget Quicken and add the 2 points to Inertia. Find a Mod or Relic that shortens the cooldown time instead.

So like this:
http://talent.87bazillion.com/2/siren.php?545000200000000000003502410551
?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I've spent probably close to 40 or 50K on the slot machines in Moxxi's and have yet to land all BorderLands symbols :D ... this is like going to fucking Chinook winds... i just can't stop. It's literally motivating me to go out and kill people so i can get money to go play the sluts.

Anyways... I found 1 Rare weapons so far as a drop. Beastly Jakob's assault rifle. Loving it at the moment and ... even better... just found and unlocked the Jakobs Skin for zer0. Soooooooo hawt. I'm either sporting that, Dahl Elite or Shades of Grey these days as all 3 are hawt hawt hawt!!

If anyone finds a rare revolver they are willing to part with, I will take any all of them. Needs me my BL2 equivalent of the Jakob's Unforgiven.

j-wood

How does the game handle if you join a player who is further in the main story than you? Does it default to the lowest person?

Razek

Banned
Would this be a good Siren build for DPS?
http://talent.87bazillion.com/2/siren.php?352001000050030000000505415501

Is Flicker still worth taking since it is multiplicative and only adds a small percent?

Does Chain Reaction work with E-tech weapon "bullets"?

Is Backdraft a waste? The melee part isn't that helpful, but the fire nova I can see being useful.

Flicker is a waste of points. Extra chance is pretty worthless in this game when guns that have 600rpm have 15% chance to light a target up per round.

Cat Party

Tiny Tina is the worst thing ever.

imf3CiT0xTAR3.gif

Coconut

Banned
Would this be a good Siren build for DPS?
http://talent.87bazillion.com/2/siren.php?352001000050030000000505415501

Is Flicker still worth taking since it is multiplicative and only adds a small percent?

Does Chain Reaction work with E-tech weapon "bullets"?

Is Backdraft a waste? The melee part isn't that helpful, but the fire nova I can see being useful.

It seems like subsequence would be pretty cool.

How does the game handle if you join a player who is further in the main story than you? Does it default to the lowest person?
You play their thing and when you switch back to your game once you get to those sections you cleared it will ask you if you'd like to play them again.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Quests always follow whoever is hosting the game. I know if you complete a sidequest in another person's game you get credit for it in yours but I'm not sure if it works the same for story missions or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom