• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

Love the option to skip story missions you have already done during co-op playthroughs, just wish there was some fix to allow for relative level scaling when playing co-op :( If my friend gets too far ahead of me I'll be worthless until he starts a new character.

So, is this right?

Okay wait I think I get it. Leftover quests are the ".5". So 1.5 is the leftover quests after beating the boss. "2" is the NEW GAME+" (which, how do you start that?). "2.5" is the leftover quests after beating the final boss in "2".

Yes?

Michael appears in all versions throughout the whole game. We can confirm that.

Currently console players are experiencing a higher rate of him appearing which is something we plan on addressing in a future update.

yeah, its suprising to hear he's so rare, Michaels usually posted up somewhere holding heat every time i return to sanctuary on the PS3.

Meier

yeah, its suprising to hear he's so rare, Michaels usually posted up somewhere holding heat every time i return to sanctuary on the PS3.

I haven't seen him in my last 3 times playing.. basically, I don't think I've seen him a single time since
Sanctuary started floating

AFAIK, it goes 1 > 2 (NG+) > 2.5, which is just the leftover side missions.. There isn't any 1.5.

2.5 scales all the enemies to level 50.

Okay, so describe this process to me. You beat the final boss. What happens. A thing comes up telling you to start the NG+ and all the quests are reset, even if there were some from PT1 you never finished?

I usually only see him after I complete a story mission.

Okay, so describe this process to me. You beat the final boss. What happens. A thing comes up telling you to start the NG+ and all the quests are reset, even if there were some from PT1 you never finished?

A message informs you that the game has only just begun, and tells you how to start True Vault Hunter mode, which resets all quests, but you retain your inventory, money, Badass points, and obviously your skills.

I usually only see him after I complete a story mission.

A message informs you that the game has only just begun, and tells you how to start True Vault Hunter mode, which resets all quests, but you retain your inventory, money, Badass points, and obviously your skills.

"How to start," meaning you can still beat all the quests in regular before you follow those directions to start NG+?

Sorry if I'm making this more complicated than it is, just wondering if I should make sure I get all my quests done before Final Bawse.

Sheesh Dukinos mom is no joke. That AOE splash damage.

This was the part of the game that really started to get under my skin. Huge aoe and those damn homing electric bursts that have massive splash radius. Ultimately i just crouched behind the elevator controls and was able to cheese her without taking any damage at all... I hope this works in ng+ but all this talk of saving my side quests until after i beat tvhm has me thinking i should put it off until then.

Megasoum

Banned
Somebody here gave me a great truck for Dukino's mom (sorry, forgot your name!).

Stay in the elevator that takes you down to its room. There's a little wall on the elevator platform that you can use to hide from the big laser beam.

Duck for the beam and just shoot non stop the rest of the time. Worked flawlessly for me on my first try yesterday.

"How to start," meaning you can still beat all the quests in regular before you follow those directions to start NG+?

Sorry if I'm making this more complicated than it is, just wondering if I should make sure I get all my quests done before Final Bawse.

You have the option to go back to the world you semi-completed, or to move on to a brand new world with much harder enemies and as I said you retain everything from before. Choosing to start anew doesn't stop you from returning to the other if you feel like it.

You have the option to go back to the world you semi-completed, or to move on to a brand new world with much harder enemies and as I said you retain everything from before. Choosing to start anew doesn't stop you from returning to the other if you feel like it.

Ah, okay. So it spawns like a new "Maya" that shows up in your character list.

eek5

Love the option to skip story missions you have already done during co-op playthroughs, just wish there was some fix to allow for relative level scaling when playing co-op :( If my friend gets too far ahead of me I'll be worthless until he starts a new character.

This would be nice but they'd have to change a lot of the game to work with it. They would have to make loot instanced or else there would still be no point in playing with your level 20 friend @ level 30 since everything would still be dropping level 20 loot but it'd be as hard as your normal level 30 missions and you'd be getting level 30 xp which would just make it increasingly difficult for you as you'd become more and more undegeared.

I haven't seen Michael since about level 8. And I'm level 22 now. And up to Chapter 15 in the story. He just hasn't materialized again.

There is a bug on consoles where he shows up 100% of the time before a certain story mission then the regular 10% of the time after that. On PC it's always 10% chance he shows up in one of the 10 spots. I've only seen him once and I have a level 35 and a level 27.

There is a bug on consoles where he shows up 100% of the time before a certain story mission then the regular 10% of the time after that. On PC it's always 10% chance he shows up in one of the 10 spots. I've only seen him once and I have a level 35 and a level 27.

What's the 10% based on? Reloading Sanctuary? Completing a mission? After what does he have a 10% chance of showing up?

eek5

What's the 10% based on? Reloading Sanctuary? Completing a mission? After what does he have a 10% chance of showing up?

People on console have said he resets when you leave Sanctuary then come back so I guess 10% chance of him showing up when you load into Sanctuary but I'm not sure.

Meanwhile, As a soldier who recently finished the game. I never found an assault rifle that was even worth putting in my back pack and marking it as trash.

They suck, pretty much. Sniper rifles are better for long range, Shotguns for close range. For volume you want SMGs and if you want to plink even Pistols are better.

Only decent one I've found is a 3x Jacob's that has an actual useful spinny barrel (as opposed to taking forever to do any real damage) on it, and it's still not that great.

Raide

They need to tweak how Zero's skills works. If I am running forwards, it should drop it behind me. If I backpedal, it should drop in-front of me. Left and right movements should leave it the opposite side. I often use it to get the enemy to shoot the decoy, while I sit a few yards from it and line-up a headshot. Its actual uses for a decoy are few and far between, especially when you need it in panic mode.

Any other Zero players think it needs tweaking?

They need to tweak how Zero's skills works. If I am running forwards, it should drop it behind me. If I backpedal, it should drop in-front of me. Left and right movements should leave it the opposite side. I often use it to get the enemy to shoot the decoy, while I sit a few yards from it and line-up a headshot. Its actual uses for a decoy are few and far between, especially when you need it in panic mode.

The decoy is fired from Zer0s hand and not something he drops once you realize that it makes perfect sense how it works.

AkuMifune

Banned

That would be pretty awesome. For me it's just a 'free back up and reload' skill atm.

Raide

The decoy is fired from Zer0s hand and not something he drops once you realize that it makes perfect sense how it works.

Fair enough but it still makes it pretty situational. It always dumps it right on the position you stand on, which leads it to randomly fill my screen up when I want to do a quick decoy snipe. :D

Fair enough but it still makes it pretty situational. It always dumps it right on the position you stand on, which leads it to randomly fill my screen up when I want to do a quick decoy snipe. :D

Usually I rush an enemy.

When I get close, I use Deception. The decoy goes "through" the enemy and appears behind him.

The enemy turns around, I back-stab. Works like a charm. :)

Yeah, i agree. I usually use it to get away from a mob or someone who is shooting me in the back so I am always still between the enemies and my decoy taking fire... I also dislike that some types of projectiles will actually change direction if they are in the air when my decoy disappears. This seems to happen the most with those bad ass psychos.

Overall i dislike zer0s skill but i have decided to stick with him because of the time investment. Micheal gave me a shotgun that does about 30k damage + explosive and has a tight spread over range (very good for second wind) and last night i found a sniper rifle with a 24 bullet mag that shoots faster than most assault rifles, does a lot of damage and has very good stability and accuracy. I had respeced to melee but these two weapons are making me think i should go back the the sniping tree...

web01

Up to the final boss and have to say have been really disappointed with the weapons compared to Borderlands 1.

There are far too many high-tech weapon scopes / sights that ruin weapons and the few normal weapon sights give you a weird zoom that is like 2x normal view.Even shotguns get ruined by the stupid scopes. Assault rifles are all also useless as is almost any weapon that has the burst fire ability.

The game is awesome but they dropped the ball on the weapons.

Coconut

Banned
Up to the final boss and have to say have been really disappointed with the weapons compared to Borderlands 1.

There are far too many high-tech weapon scopes / sights that ruin weapons and the few normal weapon sights give you a weird zoom that is like 2x normal view.Even shotguns get ruined by the stupid scopes. Assault rifles are all also useless as is almost any weapon that has the burst fire ability.

The game is awesome but they dropped the ball on the weapons.

Do to the random nature of the weapons i think that is an unfair assessment.

Do to the random nature of the weapons i think that is an unfair assessment.

I agree that many assault rifles are a huge let down. Typically the have very small magazine sizes (elementals that use 2 or 3 bullets per shot and have 20 round mags), poor stability, lower power and slower firing rates than most other options. Over the past 50 hours I have only used an assault rifle briefly because it had an 86 round mag and explosive (but slow reload, horrible accuracy and damage that was soon outclassed). Typically smgs and pistols provide better options.

Oh, and sniper rifles 8 round mags but burst fire and slow reloads - seems like a wierd design choice.

Insaniac

does anyone know how the siren's skill Chain Reaction works? Do bullets chain react off any enemy as long as you have something phaselocked, or is it only the phaselocked target. Do Elemental DoTs proc? Do elemental bullets even bounce?

Zeth

Is Siren a poor class? Seems like she might excel at coop if anything. Started one as my alt for playing coop with my brother and don't really want to start over again. Guess I just need my choice validated.

Really disappointed with the sniper rifles so far on my main character, zero. Are there any good ones that don't burst when zoomed? I'm starting to hate it, though my reload speed is getting faster.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is Siren a poor class? Seems like she might excel at coop if anything. Started one as my alt for playing coop with my brother and don't really want to start over again. Guess I just need my choice validated.

Like any class, good guns make all the difference. But Maya benefits huge from her ability to lock enemies down. If you spec into reduced phaselock CD and increased phaselock time, she's beast mode.

It took about 40k for Moxxi to give up a second gun and it ended up being another corrosive SMG.

Granted, it does about triple the damage the first one she gave me but, still. Will she give me the fire one eventually or is this it?

I'm at level 42 right now, but here's my plan for Siren by the time I get to 50: http://talent.87bazillion.com/2/siren.php?055001000044000000000505510541

Just trying to go for balls out damage. Using The Bee from PT1 and a 1.4k dmg Tediore SMG I'm managing about 150k damage on reload tosses.

I find phaselock to be the funnest of all the active skills, but I don't think she's bad at all. You can spec her out to be an awesome support character which is nice in co-op, but she has it in her to be beastly for solo play as well.

Yeah, i agree. I usually use it to get away from a mob or someone who is shooting me in the back so I am always still between the enemies and my decoy taking fire... I also dislike that some types of projectiles will actually change direction if they are in the air when my decoy disappears. This seems to happen the most with those bad ass psychos.

Overall i dislike zer0s skill but i have decided to stick with him because of the time investment. Micheal gave me a shotgun that does about 30k damage + explosive and has a tight spread over range (very good for second wind) and last night i found a sniper rifle with a 24 bullet mag that shoots faster than most assault rifles, does a lot of damage and has very good stability and accuracy. I had respeced to melee but these two weapons are making me think i should go back the the sniping tree...
You should probably go back and take a look at the guns in BL1 plenty of bizarre and way too powerful scope on shotguns with sub 50% accuracy.

does anyone know how the siren's skill Chain Reaction works? Do bullets chain react off any enemy as long as you have something phaselocked, or is it only the phaselocked target. Do Elemental DoTs proc? Do elemental bullets even bounce?

Chain Reaction only works on the target that is phaselocked. The effects from elemental weapons can proc if they hit a new target. The only things that don't reflect are explosives, the needler style ammo from e-tech pistols, and the e-tech splatter guns. Its a great skill the idea with it is to Phaselock a high health enemy and fire an elemental smg at it. I've cleared an entire group of guys with one phaselocked target.

eek5

Really disappointed with the sniper rifles so far on my main character, zero. Are there any good ones that don't burst when zoomed? I'm starting to hate it, though my reload speed is getting faster.

Just zoom out after you hit the trigger and it'll only fire one shot but yes there are good snipers that aren't burst fire you just have to get lucky, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom