• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coconut

Banned
Yup. It didn't give me shit, either. About to start what they're saying is the final mission and still haven't seen a non-quest orange from drop, chest, or slots. Jumbo skagg in lynchwood farming helped ease the pain, though.

See I didn't get shit from Momma Skagg.

Level 32 Sniper Zer0 here and just came to say that, just like any other gun, there are good sniper rifles out there. My favorites seem to be Jacobs. Especially if you can find one with a nice fire rate and clip size. The one I'm currently using is 1707dmg, 3.8 fire rate, and 14 in the clip. Shoots a single shot when aiming down sights. 20k crits regularly on a level 30 target and 40k crits if I shoot at just the right time during deception.

I feel like that tree was made specifically for me. I love sniping and therefore I love Zer0.

Now I have a question. For guns with elemental damage, is the damage rating an estimate of what the gun can do with regular shots plus ignite chance and damage? The only reason I ask is because I found an elemental sniper that did 1740+ damage and yet my shots were doing less damage overall than my Jacobs that I mentioned earlier on. Also, the numbers were always different for my crits. On my Jacobs, I will see the same exact number time and time again on crits. With the elemental, the crit numbers would go up and down regularly when shooting the gun in the same exact manner. AND, the crits would always be less than the Jacobs no matter how high they went. I actually gave up that "better" sniper in favor of the Jacobs because it was a significant damage loss. What do you guys think?

Deitus

Level 32 Sniper Zer0 here and just came to say that, just like any other gun, there are good sniper rifles out there. My favorites seem to be Jacobs. Especially if you can find one with a nice fire rate and clip size. The one I'm currently using is 1707dmg, 3.8 fire rate, and 14 in the clip. Shoots a single shot when aiming down sights. 20k crits regularly on a level 30 target and 40k crits if I shoot at just the right time during deception.

I feel like that tree was made specifically for me. I love sniping and therefore I love Zer0.

Now I have a question. For guns with elemental damage, is the damage rating an estimate of what the gun can do with regular shots plus ignite chance and damage? The only reason I ask is because I found an elemental sniper that did 1740+ damage and yet my shots were doing less damage overall than my Jacobs that I mentioned earlier on. Also, the numbers were always different for my crits. On my Jacobs, I will see the same exact number time and time again on crits. With the elemental, the crit numbers would go up and down regularly when shooting the gun in the same exact manner. AND, the crits would always be less than the Jacobs no matter how high they went. I actually gave up that "better" sniper in favor of the Jacobs because it was a significant damage loss. What do you guys think?

When it comes to elemental damage, there are a lot of factors that contribute to it's variable damage. I haven't seen anyone break down the damage calculations in this game yet, but for know I'll assume it works like BL1 (even though I'm sure there are a few differences).

First of all, all of the damage of the weapon is subject to elemental resistances, not just the damage over time effect. This means if you are fighting an enemy with shields or armor, a fire weapon will do less damage than an equivalent non elemental weapon.

Secondly, there are different "levels" of proc for the damage over time effect. Obviously there are hits with no effect proc that will do the lowest damage, and then a level 4 proc will do more damage (but is much less likely to occur) than a level 1 proc. If you are seeing variations in damage it might be due to different levels of effect procs.

As for why your non-elemental sniper is doing so much more critical damage, if it isn't due to elemental resistences, it might have a hidden bonus to critical damage that the elemental sniper does not.

Naite

I'm going to try the Lord of the Rings Purple Loot walk.

I'm doing this.

I did that last night. It was a lot easier and quicker than I thought it would take. I was very satisfied with the purple loot I got, and I even got an orange gun from Knuckledragger on the way.

I did that last night. It was a lot easier and quicker than I thought it would take. I was very satisfied with the purple loot I got, and I even got an orange gun from Knuckledragger on the way.

So, we start out at ClapTrap's place and then what? Where do we fast travel to? I don't recall being able to walk from that area all the way to Eridium Blight.

Raxus

So, we start out at ClapTrap's place and then what? Where do we fast travel to? I don't recall being able to walk from that area all the way to Eridium Blight.

There is a list of locations in the link posted. You need to use a vehicle in order to make the trek.

Mikey Jr.

yeah, its suprising to hear he's so rare, Michaels usually posted up somewhere holding heat every time i return to sanctuary on the PS3.

I swear to god, i searched all over sanctuary when ever i go there. I NEVER find him, which is surprising since sanctuary is not even that big. Like, i'll do a loop around sanx, hitting all the npcs, but never find him. Shit.

Sanctuary

So does the easter egg quest involving
Geary and his echo
only work on NG+ or something? Because
I went to Claptrap's place and there's nothing at all in his fireplace

I got the FUNNIEST SMG. It's an electric SMG that does a ton of damage, but lowers your movement speed to a crawl, and it sounds like midgets screaming when you shoot it. When you reload it screams "RELOOOOOOADIN'"

I laugh every time I use it. I'll put a video up of it later.

It's a gun available to anyone that does the Bane quest. I love the novelty of it, but otherwise it's unfortunately useless. Plenty of videos out about it, btw.

If you want to farm then last boss is pretty consistent with good drops at that level, but don't stop there the NG+ is far more interesting gameplay and asks the player to use the right elemental effects on the right enemies.

Truth. I finished the game last night and started on NG+. Knuckledragger dropped an orange pistol that's better than anything I'd seen up to that point. NG+ is pretty damn hard, but so far the loot has made it worth the occasional frustration.

abundant

True Vault Hunter Mode is freaking insane with coop. I teamed with two other Sirens and we locked the place down with constant Phaselocks with Ruin.. Grenades were teleporting everywhere, the screen was full of green, orange, and blue numbers, and Super Bad Asses were on constant lock down. I fill sorry for the fourth player (Sal) because he could barely do anything.

An all Siren team on co-op is probably overkill, especially if everyone has Ruin and Chain Reaction. Bullets ricocheting and elemental damages offsetting everwhere. Oh, and Converge too. No one is touching that team.

abundant

An all Siren team on co-op is probably overkill, especially if everyone has Ruin and Chain Reaction. Bullets ricocheting and elemental damages offsetting everwhere.

It is, as long as the enemy can be Phaselocked. If they can, then they're locked down until they die. Captain Flynt was easy as hell with three Sirens.

The two other Sirens, plus another one I met later all had the same skin - black with dark blue combo (I forgot the name). It looks the be a favorite among Siren players (I have it too).

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Filled to the brim is worthless. Get Inconceivable instead. In fact it is inconceivable you didn't get it in the first place. Shit is cash.

Put a point into steady as she goes.

Besides that is there another tree you are looking to invest in?

Here is my current build, the reason for so many 1 point skills is because of a class mod.

No other tree in particular, that's kind of why I posted it. Was basically wondering 1. if rampage was good to keep putting points into, and 2. which of the other two would be good to invest in once I finished rampage.

does anyone know where i can find the lost
echo tapes for zero, maya, sal, and commando

Sal= Thousand Cuts, Axton= Lynchwood, Maya= The Wildlife Preserve, Zer0= Sawtooth Canyon.

If that pt2, ng+ stuff is true, that's really fucking stupid. I'm really pissed if that's the case. Why would they do that?
Why wouldn't they its a good idea? I assume you mean the fact that its a more challenging experience. If you mean the quest scaling it still makes perfect sense.

Amon37

I want to stop reading this thread because I can't play for 3 days but I can't stop reading this thread because I can't play for 3 days lol

Grisby

So if I kill that dude up near the top of the volcano I can still do this LOTR quest later right? Most of these dudes always respawn.

Razek

Banned
I want to stop reading this thread because I can't play for 3 days but I can't stop reading this thread because I can't play for 3 days lol

Similar situation. It's starting to get way too spoilery with people who have beaten the game and I just can't get myself back in to finish (But I really want to, honest!)

Also, for those playing on console, I want to apologize my adamancy of snipers being the best. While they are still amazing weapons, the coop network lag and general input lag makes them pretty much useless if you're not host.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Sal= Thousand Cuts, Axton= Lynchwood, Maya= The Wildlife Preserve, Zer0= Sawtooth Canyon.

Why wouldn't they its a good idea? I assume you mean the fact that its a more challenging experience. If you mean the quest scaling it still makes perfect sense.
I was hoping for maps. But this is good. It seems I missed a few.

each charc has 4 tapes right?

Raxus

No other tree in particular, that's kind of why I posted it. Was basically wondering 1. if rampage was good to keep putting points into, and 2. which of the other two would be good to invest in once I finished rampage.

I like the tree. It gives you constant gunzerking and is probably the better solo tree. The only problem being that you need the damage mitigation/damage bonuses in other trees for later in the game. Luckily you don't need to invest so heavily in gunlust to get the best the tree has to offer with locked and loaded, all I need is one, and moneyshot/autoload and down but not out as an added bonus.

Can anyone confirm that the PS3-version is nearly unplayable in online co op? I'm reading bad things on the gearbox boards (technical discussion). They are talking about slideshows an heavy screen tearing....

Jonm1010

Banned
Alright so I got one of those undiscovered quest things in my menu at
sanctuary hole
for mordecais treasure but I can't find it anywhere to save my life.

WarMacheen

I think I'm about done with this game. Sick and tired of losing my progress to the bull shit steam cloud, playing the same goddamn quests over, losing weapons, hours of progression.

Fuck this.

Raxus

Can anyone confirm that the PS3-version is nearly unplayable in online co op? I'm reading bad things on the gearbox boards (technical discussion). They are talking about slideshows an heavy screen tearing....

I guess Sanctuary runs at 20 FPS but I haven't heard much else I am afraid.

I've had zero problems as well. That is, no problems, not problems with the assassin. lol

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't know what area I haven't discovered in Three Horns/Tundra Express/Frostburn Canyon.

Real annoying.

Go to each one, look for the fog of war on the map. If there is no fog of war left on any of them then your save is bugged.

I think I'm about done with this game. Sick and tired of losing my progress to the bull shit steam cloud, playing the same goddamn quests over, losing weapons, hours of progression.

Fuck this.

Why are you using cloud synchronization if it is causing problems? Disable it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

No issues. This is coming off playing the PC version too. It's perfectly playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom