• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklord

Banned
Kinda funny how the AI talks of Wilhelm like some super boss. He was almost dead by the time she was telling me that I might have a chance of beating it.

Seems like there's a head for Maya that gives her a cat ears headband with nose and whisker markings according to the guide. Doesn't seem like anyone's found this in-game yet but the scuttlebutt is that it drops from the final boss.

I need this.

desertdroog

What's the AI core gun like? I went for the shield, which was great hearing him say 'No shields boss' every time I lost shields :p
He is my favorite and most damage dealing gun from lvl 19-23 when I got him.

Bane is another gun that talks. I have a friend that found a back talking sniper rifle as well. Missed opportunity if all three equipped on your character don't argue/taunt each other.
Gearbox, please add to future DLC.

codhand

Tiny Tina is way overdone.

Less is more, writers.

Some of Borderland 1's ad-hoc charm is gone with the confidence of 2's writing, which seems to involve dumping as many pop-culture references or catch phrases as possible, I'm sure "make it rain", and Drake quotes will really hold up well in five years =/

Skytylz

Banned
Kinda funny how the AI talks of Wilhelm like some super boss. He was almost dead by the time she was telling me that I might have a chance of beating it.

I had done every quest I could find before I went and fought wilhelm and then I found an amazing E-tech weapon on my way there that did corrosive, they might all be corrosive as far as i know, so I had killed Wilhelm by the time she started talking. It was pretty lame after
Roland
talked him up so much! Not sure if that name is really a spoiler or not.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It's weird, I never had issues with a constructor, even the badass kind.

I guess it helps to use an explosive assault riffle and a turret that shoots a ton of missiles directly into the red eye lol.

Me either, constructors are free greens/blues. :) Everything they do gives you plenty of time to find cover, meanwhile they've got one of the largest critboxes in the game and they hardly move at all.

Some of Borderland 1's ad-hoc charm is gone with the confidence of 2's writing, which seems to involve dumping as many pop-culture references or catch phrases as possible, I'm sure "make it rain", and Drake quotes will really hold up well in five years =/

THERE ARE DRAKE QUOTES?!?!?!?!?!

Haint

Has any site or thread compiled NM's and bosses to farm for item X (e.g. the Bee Shield), the side quests and easter eggs with valuable and unique pay outs (e.g. the Lord of the Rings purple's chest), and the most efficient loot run locations for any given level?

JoeFu

Banned
We are working on those things. :)

Awesome, just wanted to hear from somebody that something was going to be done. Thanks!

also want to say how much I love this game. I seriously love this game. If this game was a person male or female I dont even care, I would marry it.

Atruvius

The biggest "problem" I have with the game is the lack of dismemberments. I shoot a guy with my explosive shotgun, get an explosion of blood and gibs but the enemy is still completely intact. In BL1 you could shoot all body parts off.

Is this a bug? It sure looks weird.

---

I am at the mission
"Where Angels Fear to Tread part 2".
How many missions do I have left?

Does anyone else on 360 have this strange problem? i think all of the blood and temporary textures are messed up. like ill shoot a guy near a wall, normally his blood will be splattered on the wall behind him, but for me it appears as a white and purple checkered square. (like a temporary texture) this just recently started happening, restarted the game but it was still there.

i also killed a badass rakk, and when it hit the ground a big checkered square appeared where it landed.

The biggest "problem" I have with the game is the lack of dismemberments. I shoot a guy with my explosive shotgun, get an explosion of blood and gibs but the enemy is still completely intact. In BL1 you could shoot all body parts off.

that aspect actually makes the game a lot less visceral for me, there's definitely a problem when you find yourself getting bored one shotting enemies.

That never happened once in my whole playthrough of BL1 and that was because shooting a brute in the face with a sniper rifle, or point blank with a shotgun made his head turned to PFFFLLLLLBT.. not just an explosion of blood with his head still there looking at me.

see5harp

The purple white checker pattern actually happened to me last night on PC. It's the first time it's happened but it was Caustic Caverns during the mine cart quest.

Atruvius

The purple white checker pattern actually happened to me last night on PC. It's the first time it's happened but it was Caustic Caverns during the mine cart quest.

If you mean the one pattern in the rock crusher, everyone has it. They forgot to put textures there.

Fuck balls, just accidentally accused a suspect instantly after taking the Marshall quest. GOd fucking damn it. So stupid that it doesn't prompt or anything, mission instantly over, shit reward. Greeeeeeeat. So fucking dumb. Awesome to make one of the more unique quests in the game instantly ruined. My own fault but it is annoying that I have to replay a new character all the way to this point again just to redo one accidental mistake.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck balls, just accidentally accused a suspect instantly after taking the Marshall quest. GOd fucking damn it. So stupid that it doesn't prompt or anything, mission instantly over, shit reward. Greeeeeeeat. So fucking dumb.

I accused the wrong guy in that quest but when the real one started to run off I hit action on him really quickly and it let me accuse him as though I had never picked the wrong one in the first place.

in the crusher? that's always there. i get them appearing everywhere i kill something. forgot to mention the bandit technicals i got from the catch-a-ride were untextured as well.

I accused the wrong guy in that quest but when the real one started to run off I hit action on him really quickly and it let me accuse him as though I had never picked the wrong one in the first place.

They all just held still for me. I think they were all in shock at how stupidly quick I accused someone.

Finally got my first orange from the slot machine... amazing! I'm a level 25 so they are scaled lower than some of the other folks who have 50s already haha. I have millions saved for the slots so I want more!

1DCAD6CD-F27E-421C-B891-6F04FBB6035A-3905-000003673D490699.jpg

And some other items from rare drops (Godliaths, etc)

Does anyone else on 360 have this strange problem? i think all of the blood and temporary textures are messed up. like ill shoot a guy near a wall, normally his blood will be splattered on the wall behind him, but for me it appears as a white and purple checkered square. (like a temporary texture) this just recently started happening, restarted the game but it was still there.

i also killed a badass rakk, and when it hit the ground a big checkered square appeared where it landed.

yup i had that problem last Saturday in Co-op. it was everywhere too, big ones and little ones scattered around the map.

I haven't seen it since tho.

The lack of corrosive and flame deaths is disappointing as well.

I went back to Borderlands to complete General Knoxx and the Claptrap Revolution and it's crazy how something as small as this becomes so noticeable when it's removed like it was in the second game.

: /

It would be interesting to learn why they did it...and not a "villages are hard to build" excuse.

McLovin

I like how deep the game's story gets if you do the sidequests. For example you can find recordings from when flesh stick did that thing to her family.

Raide

I went back to Borderlands to complete General Knoxx and the Claptrap Revolution and it's crazy how something as small as this becomes so noticeable when it's removed like it was in the second game.

It would be interesting to learn why they did it...and not a "villages are hard to build" excuse.

I have had flaming deaths for enemies. The sobbing midget is fairly disturbing.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

This is on purpose. Destructoid brought this up.

http://www.destructoid.com/borderlands-2-lowers-the-gore-upsets-the-fans-235583.phtml

The gore seems to have been toned down from the first game, to the point where specific limb-shredding no longer seems possible. Total body disruption is doable, and there's still plenty of blood, but those critical hits just don't feel as critical anymore. Elemental deaths aren't quite as torturous as once they were, either, leading to a game that's still violent, but not as gratifyingly brutal.

According to comments from Gearbox, this was the cost of having a universally "uncensored" game. Basically, no one territory deals with censorship, but the overall game worldwide has had to be toned down. However, Randy Pitchford offered the possibility of potential patches later down the line, and welcomed fans to join the debate.

Debate they did! The Gearbox forums have a thread on the matter that currently spans 74 pages, with some gamers even refusing to play the game until head-popping's been patched in. Others have been more reasonable, stating it's not a huge deal, but it'd certainly nice. At least one commenter remarked on how weirdly passionate gamers are being over the inclusion of extreme violence.

Disappointing that they censored themselves.

The elemental death still happen I think they are just less common.

Edit: Guess I'm wrong sort of.

I don't remember Wilhelm being hard to defeat either. But,
I assumed it was intentional because he was carrying a bogus power core that handsome Jack planted there.

But, I already completed the game on my first play through. I waited for a few friends to catch up to me in the story and we went as a group to finish the ending. I was a level 33 commando with survival spec, another girl in my group was a level 35 Assassin, and the third member was a level 35 Siren. We basically went to the second battle arena with the Hyperion robot enemies and tried to finish all the waves, but we could not get past wave number 5. The enemies just overpowered us near the end.

After that, we were all around level 35-36 and went and completed the final mission and defeated the final boss. The final boss was very theatrical but wasn't too hard in a group of 3. No good weapons dropped either unforgivably... no oranges or pinks (I have yet to find an orange or pink in this game) :S The credit sequence for this game is insanely long... everyone who worked on the game added their own thank you message that went on forever. :p Possible ending spoiler:
the ending reminded me of Rage's for some reason

The three of us just started a new game plus, so far off the bat the enemies ate at level 33-35 and are already putting up quite a challenge. Will be interesting to see how this pans out... though sadly most of our side quest missions were completed on the first play through.

The game was a great experience from beginning to end. I have never played Borderlands 1, so I cannot compare it to this game. But now I am tempted to buy the first game and play through that one too.

Beaulieu

gotta love how gaf loved tiny tina then after hearing giantbomb complain about her start hating on her.

cool stuff guys.

ps ; I love her. she speaks like nicki minaj.

Meier

Fuck balls, just accidentally accused a suspect instantly after taking the Marshall quest. GOd fucking damn it. So stupid that it doesn't prompt or anything, mission instantly over, shit reward. Greeeeeeeat. So fucking dumb.

I did the same thing (I thought I'd talk to the guy but it obviously accused) and as luck would have it, picked the right guy. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to do the quest itself but oh well. Could have been worse apparently!

Finally got my first orange from the slot machine... amazing! I'm a level 25 so they are scaled lower than some of the other folks who have 50s already haha. I have millions saved for the slots so I want more!

Nice! I still have not gotten any sort of orange/yellow/whatever other than after completing an earlier quest where I assume everyone gets one. I just finished a different quest where I got a shield (purple maybe? Blue if not) that seemed kinda nice but the recharge delay was like 213.869 or something, lol.

How do you have so much money already? I think I am at $35k or so.. I'm at lvl 21 or 22.

Just heard a new one yesterday...

Psycho: "I can't wait... to take your picture!"

At least that's what it sounded like.

Anyway, I don't understand the Tiny Tina hate. I love that girl. So off the wall. I was actually hoping there would be a lot more of her.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Beat TVHM last night--all solo. Was very challenging--the enemies are insanely hard and it 100% comes down to your guns. I actually had to farm the path to the first Hyperion barrier (where you take Claptrap to in Thousand Cuts) for a few levels to hit 50. There's about 5-6 chests on the way and 2 Constructors so I got some decent loot and great XP.

Farmed The Warrior last night for about 3 hours--got some decent weapons and some monies. GOnna hit the slots and farm The Bee and Conference Call next!

I soloed him at level 14 or 15, as Zer0 and he was incredibly difficult. 2 levels later I did him with a group of 4 and we destroyed him in seconds.... sooo yeah.

Meier

I soloed him at level 14 or 15, as Zer0 and he was incredibly difficult. 2 levels later I did him with a group of 4 and we destroyed him in seconds.... sooo yeah.

He got the best of me initially as Zero but I beat him on my second attempt -- pretty annoying that you spawn right there and his minions he has spawned start going to town on you immediately. I busted out a rocket launcher on the second attempt and that was enough to help me kill him.

dalin80

Banned
Anyway, I don't understand the Tiny Tina hate. I love that girl. So off the wall. I was actually hoping there would be a lot more of her.

If there was any more of her I would put the game in the microwave and then set fire to the kitchen just to be sure.

Words cannot express how much I truly despise that character and iam only glad most of the times you have to put up with that abomination is for optional and therefore ignorable quests.

He got the best of me initially as Zero but I beat him on my second attempt -- pretty annoying that you spawn right there and his minions he has spawned start going to town on you immediately. I busted out a rocket launcher on the second attempt and that was enough to help me kill him.

That's what I did too. As soon as I got in range I tossed 5 grenades at his feet (the ones that spawn child grenades) and then lit him up with the rocket launcher, and he wen't down pretty quick. I think that's how you have to kill him.

They need more of stuff like that. Makes you feel like a badass.

The end of the game is a pain in the ass, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom