• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

H3xum

So I see a lot of people talking about farming quests, the Hunter Hellquist one in particular.

How is that achieved in BL2? Do you kill the guy, check the loot and if it stinks just quit out before turning it in or do the named baddies eventually respawn after awhile even if the quest isn't active

h3ro

So Slag is corrosive?? I had a first quest yesterday,the one to kill Zeke and his partner, I had to slag his partner first and then kill him...what the hell is slag first?

It's a debuff status that lowers an enemies defense if they are slagged. All damage done with a non-slag gun after that will do extra damage.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So I see a lot of people talking about farming quests, the Hunter Hellquist one in particular.

How is that achieved in BL2? Do you kill the guy, check the loot and if it stinks just quit out before turning it in or do the named baddies eventually respawn after awhile even if the quest isn't active

Complete the associated sidequest for certain bosses then after that the named mob respawns. So kill *insert named mob* save and quit, mob respawns then rinse and repeat. Works the same way for rare spawns so if they don't spawn save and quit until they show up.

Ricker

It's a debuff status that lowers an enemies defense if they are slagged. All damage done with a non-slag gun after that will do extra damage.

Oh ok so Slag is a type of gun like Tediore etc etc? because I dont think I have seen a ''SLAG'' type yet...

Oh ok so Slag is a type of gun like Tediore etc etc? because I dont think I have seen a ''SLAG'' type yet...

Slag is an element that debuffs enemies, not a type of gun. Ninja'd.

Here's a pic instead:

2012-09-19_00011_zpsebbd8163.jpg

Insaniac

Hey guys, I bought all the SDU upgrades in playthrough one, so what do I do in TVHM when I need to buy something from Crazy Earl to get the fuel cell?

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys, I bought all the SDU upgrades in playthrough one, so what do I do in TVHM when I need to buy something from Crazy Earl to get the fuel cell?

For me when I got to that quest in TVHM I already had the fuel cell and didn't have to but from him. I think I actually bought something but there was not fuel cell in the store.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

To clarify Nelo Ice's response a little bit the guy doesn't respawn until AFTER you've turned it in. The quest has to be totally completed before they will come back.

HoosTrax

Just to clarify, e-tech is not a vendor, right? I got a bright pink labeled Assault Rifle that shoots red lasers but it's a Vladof.
I think e-Tech just refers to any magenta gun. They seem to shoot tech projectiles. I have an SMG that behaves like the energy rifle from Unreal Tournament (shoots rapid fire energy orbs), a rocket launcher that behaves like the Doom BFG (huge round energy projectile, with massive AOE nuke and vacuum vortex on impact), and a shotgun that behaves like the biorifle from UT.

Surprisingly, even the Bandit manufacturing company has learned how to harness eTech...

So what's the accepted strategy for Playthrough 2. Stick to the main story and only do side quests when you get underleveled for the main story? Or can you complete playthrough 2 and level up appropriately by just doing the main missions?

I'm currently at level 37 and I just reached Sanctuary. I've done every side mission upto this point (basically in the starting area) but now I'm wondering which, if any, side quests I should do. Obviously the goal is to maximize the quality of the loot I get. Some advice would be appreciated.

Okay, so, I cleared Where Angels Fear To Tread and am doing a lot of side stuff (and also started a Lilith run in BL1 because hey why not)

First off,
NNNNNAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHHHYYYYYYYYYY. My previous request for the OG four to be playable in the game would be...um...weird. But it might be fun if they actually put in a few lines of dialogue about it being weird. I can still envision a DLC quest that's basically "Send In The Clones" and results in you having playable versions of all four OGs. But yeah. Jack, I'm going to murder you with Roland's gun.

I'm a little inclined to stick with BL1 for a while. I haven't been hit by the Badass Wipe Bug, but I really don't want to be.

Also, where did people get that AMAZEBALLS Alkaline [Something] Maya head? It's all Captain Marvel Jamie McKelvie and shit!! DO WANT.

HoosTrax

So what's the accepted strategy for Playthrough 2. Stick to the main story and only do side quests when you get underleveled for the main story? Or can you complete playthrough 2 and level up appropriately by just doing the main missions?

I'm currently at level 37 and I just reached Sanctuary. I've done every side mission upto this point (basically in the starting area) but now I'm wondering which, if any, side quests I should do. Obviously the goal is to maximize the quality of the loot I get. Some advice would be appreciated.
Not possible imho. I tried to do it and was severely underleveled for the Action Rising main quest, which was absolutely murder when I got to the part
in the Highlands Outwash where the thresher swallows the lunar beacon. At two levels above my level, his tentacle swipe is literally a one-shot kill. I had to exploit past that part by getting him aggroed on the robots, which killed him with no intervention on my part, since I couldn't even do enough damage to prevent the thresher's shield from regenerating

That said, there are some farmable bosses like Doc Mercy, Henry, Slappy, and Dukino's Mom that are quick and easy to get to, and provide a lot of exp.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Well the only head that seems to drop from Terra for me is the Commando head. I've now gotten 4
shadloo stylishes.

Are you playing as a commando? I play Gunzerker and I know when I do the
Minecraft
easter egg section Gunzerker skins/heads drop at least 2 to 3 times more than other classes.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Are you playing as a commando? I play Gunzerker and I know when I do the
Minecraft
easter egg section Gunzerker skins/heads drop at least 2 to 3 times more than other classes.
Yup. Though I farm for every head using him and have gotten all of them fairly quickly besides the rarest of heads where I only seem to get the head for me lol. Of course
Bunk3r
refuses to drop a single head for any class.

Which system? :p

PC.

KAOz

Short bus special
Yup. Though I farm for every head using him and have gotten all of them fairly quickly besides the rarest of heads where I only seem to get the head for me lol. Of course
Bunk3r
refuses to drop a single head for any class.

You should try to see which boss/enemy drops the incredibly robotic-gasmask-evil looking head for Axton. No one seems to know yet. Rumor has it that it might be
Willhelm
, but nothing is confirmed. And no, not talking about Medic Mantis.

I really want it, but don't know what to farm damnit. :,(

Poop.

Nelo Ice

Banned
You should try to see which boss/enemy drops the incredibly robotic-gasmask-evil looking head for Axton. No one seems to know yet. Rumor has it that it might be
Willhelm
, but nothing is confirmed.

Poop.

Vermivouris
Seems to drop that head along with the rest of the missing heads that barely anyone has.

HoosTrax

The farthest up the evolutionary chain I've ever gotten for Varkids is Ultimate Badass I think. I wonder how to induce further evolutions beyond that.

nel e nel

Just to clarify, e-tech is not a vendor, right? I got a bright pink labeled Assault Rifle that shoots red lasers but it's a Vladof.

Correct. My understanding is that E-tech have replaced Eridian weapons from BL1. E-tech shoot lazers instead of bullets, and make that distinctive pew pew sound instead of a bang bang. I just got a corrosive E-tech assault rifle. Suh-weeeeeeeeeeet!

The Chef

First of all. This is the single best coop experience I have ever had. I have always enjoyed games like Gears and Halo but this is on a different level. The amount of teamwork and INSANE firepower as you fight wave after wave of guys, huge explosions my sentry gun shooting a barrage of rockets. It easily the most fun I have ever had playing with friends. I feel bad for anyone who isn't playing this.

Secondly, my friend and I beat the Slaughterhouse and now we are realizing we should have died on round 5 so that we could do 5 again and get experience. Is there a way to redo it?

Correct. My understanding is that E-tech have replaced Eridian weapons from BL1. E-tech shoot lazers instead of bullets, and make that distinctive pew pew sound instead of a bang bang. I just got a corrosive E-tech assault rifle. Suh-weeeeeeeeeeet!

Yeah, the lasers bounce off the floor too, haven't tried walls yet but I did manage to shoot someone from a floor bounce which was all time best.

ozhenson

Willhelm
, but nothing is confirmed. And no, not talking about Medic Mantis.

Poop.

I got that head from some guy named Geary on the volcano. As far as I could tell there was no quest associated with him, just a lone guy standing on the volcano.

tjohn86

Someone else in my game got handsome jacks mask... is there another way to make it drop?

Also: What's the point of eridium after I max everything. The game stopped counting at 99.

Guevara

Sorry dumb question: I have some purple weapons, but I also have a slightly different, sort of magenta weapon. What is the difference? Is it just the rarity level?

I'm on a console or I'd take a screenshot.

Cat Party

Sorry dumb question: I have some purple weapons, but I also have a slightly different, sort of magenta weapon. What is the difference? Is it just the rarity level?

Magenta weapons are E-tech weapons. They have different properties than normal guns.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

"Magenta" is rarer than Purple.

Darklord

Banned

Those are the same rarity as purples but fire different kinds of ammo. Like plasma, darts, ect.

So, the difference in the two "purpley" colors is that one is E-Tech and the other simply Purple rarity? One is more pastel-pink, come to think of it. Which one is that? I think we need to remove the UV filters in our eyes so Gearbox can designate more levels of rarity. It's the only way.

EDIT: Ha. Beaten good.

So here's something I somehow missed on my playthroughs (end spoilers)
when Jack is killed and his mask falls off as loot, you can actually see his face. Dunno if he fell face down on me or I just wasn't be attentive, I never noticed. Link to see. Looks exactly the same! Well, other than the vault scarring and milk eye.

Guevara

Magenta weapons are E-tech weapons. They have different properties than normal guns.

"Magenta" is rarer than Purple.

Those are the same rarity as purples but fire different kinds of ammo. Like plasma, darts, ect.

So, the difference in the two "purpley" colors is that one is E-Tech and the other simply Purple rarity? One is more pastel-pink, come to think of it. Which one is that? I think we need to remove the UV filters in our eyes so Gearbox can designate more levels of rarity. It's the only way.

EDIT: Ha. Beaten good.

If you're not sure if the weapon is E-tech or not, just fire it. The E-tech weapons don't shoot bullets.
Thanks. I better play around with it then and see if it works for me.

HoosTrax

when Jack is killed and his mask falls off as loot, you can actually see his face. Dunno if he fell face down on me or I just wasn't be attentive, I never noticed. Link to see. Looks exactly the same! Well, other than the vault scarring and milk eye.
Maybe he's really a
former convict / Bandit Psycho that Dahl brought to Pandora when they were trying to exploit the planet's resources, and the brand was some sort of prison initiation thing

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Two things.

1) PhysX implementation is excellent. Throw away effects, but they look good and the performance hit on my GTX 570 seems to be negligible. I especially love the debris effect. Looks great after driving around and getting into shoot out.

2) Chick who plays the AI is cute.

Gravijah

fellow Commandos, what tree are you using? i've been using Gunpowder but something about the tree seems kind of meh. thinking of switching to Survival.

Maybe he's really a
former convict / Bandit Psycho that Dahl brought to Pandora when they were trying to exploit the planet's resources, and the brand was some sort of prison initiation thing

There are some logs in relation to his past and they indicate that Jack was a random programmer who worked for Hyperion and managed to notice Pandora before everybody else. The only thing special about Jack before he became head of Hyperion is that his daughter was a Siren.

exYle

Are we sure that's his face? I mean, it still has the same discolouration as compared to his forehead and neck, and the upper right portion still has a bolt there. More importantly, he looks the exact same! Why would he wear a mask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom