• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xevren

This game love giving me legendary shields for some reason. Already have The Bee but I've collected The Sham, The Transfromer, and The Cradle while farming for other drops that refuse to drop.

What are you trying to get? Getting head drops was an absolute pain.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
a Masher, you say? I'll try to farm that one today.
That's what the pistol class that fit that description was called in BL1. I don't know if they made it into this game or not, but fuck I loved them so much I'd have legally married my favorite 3. I had a skill with Mordecai called Gun Crazy that gave a 40% chance per shot to double the number of bullets/shells per trigger pull which made them just ludicrous.
The masher, unfortunately. Much to my chagrin.
Pity. I had a lovely collection of them.

Nelo Ice

Banned
What are you trying to get? Getting head drops was an absolute pain.

Heads from the cradle and sham bosses. Transformer was just because I was bored of farming the others and wanted to get the cool shotty but instead he dropped it first try and like 6th try lol.

Xevren

Heads from the cradle and sham bosses. Transformer was just because I was bored of farming the others and wanted to get the cool shotty but instead he dropped it first try and like 6th try lol.

Sham boss was so annoying to get, not as bad as Verm but still pretty bad. I'm curious if it's possible to see the actual drop rate on things, have a feeling it would make people cry.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Sham boss was so annoying to get, not as bad as Verm but still pretty bad. I'm curious if it's possible to see the actual drop rate on things, have a feeling it would make people cry.

I still can't get Verm to spawn. I'm misisng the head from him and the Sham boss for my Commando.

Megasoum

Banned
So is anybody actually able to boot steam games right now? For me it gives me an error right away about servers being too busy.

hmm I'm able to launch other games tho... Looks like I might not have the latest BL2 patch on my machine here at work and the patch servers are down...ugh

D6AMIA6N

I've read pretty much this whole thread and still don't get this. Why would I skip the side missions on my very first playthrough if they simply respawn on TVHM? Is it just to avoid doing them again? Thanks in advance!

Xevren

I still can't get Verm to spawn. I'm misisng the head from him and the Sham boss for my Commando.

Had more luck getting him to spawn in the Tundra Express than anywhere else just because of the amount of varkids around. Only head I have seen from him so far is the Siren head.

I've read pretty much this whole thread and still don't get this. Why would I skip the side missions on my very first playthrough if they simply respawn on TVHM? Is it just to avoid doing them again? Thanks in advance!

No reason to skip quests in the playthrough, people are saving them in THVM to get the scaled up quest rewards after they beat THVM.

There's no reason to skip them on playthru 1.

Wallach

I think only one person said to skip quests on your first playthrough, and all he meant was that they weren't that worthwhile (to him) because you'd just be doing them again in TVHM. You do wind up a little overleveled on your story quest if you try and complete all side quests, I guess. There's no important reason to skip anything your first run though.

D6AMIA6N

No reason to skip quests in the playthrough, people are saving them in THVM to get the scaled up quest rewards after they beat THVM.

So all of the sidequests do respawn, but for some in which you receive a unique item, you cannot receive that unique item more then once? Is that correct?

EDIT: Ok I get it, you avoid it for the sake of redundancy. Thank you.

Paertan

I was playing with a few guys who started to drop off one by one. We were in
Wild Life Exploitation Preserve
. When the last guy left something happened. Something bugged and I had an endless supply of Second Wind.
As soon as I died I just got back up and kept firing. At first I thought well maybe my Nova killed something but after I while I just tested it by going fist to fist with some Super Badass robot. I must have died close to a hundred times in the following 20 minutes.
After a while I realized that the EXP was not worth the time cause I killed them so damn slow So I just walked past everything looting as I went until I got to a boss that guards a door. I did not want to tickle him to death so I just left the area (did not want to start there without my immortality).
Tried loading the game and all the loot and exp was still there but not the bug. Is this a known thing?

... and now I regret not filming it =/

Nelo Ice

Banned
Had more luck getting him to spawn in the Tundra Express than anywhere else just because of the amount of varkids around. Only head I have seen from him so far is the Siren head.

Yeah thats where I've been trying. Furthest I've gotten is 1 ultimate varkid.

Haint

Where are you guys finding info on rare monster spawns and unique boss drops and such? Surely some thread or site has compiled such info without having to go through 15000 responses on here or 200 pages on a B2 general discussion forum.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's too early for me to start theorycrafting I suppose (I'm like level 7) but I just had a look at Zer0's skill tree and fuck. No clue what I'm gonna do. I guess I'm somewhat handicapped by the fact that Many Must Fall was apparently created specifically for me to use seeing as it sounds like the slickest fucking thing ever; however, Tw0 Fang is the reincarnation of my favorite BL skill and would work very well with the guns I'm hoping to get. But there's no apparent way to get both, ever. And top top of off a bunch of the first three tiers of skills in sniping are totally worthwhile as well. Damn. You cruel, skill point maximum.

Wallach

So all of the sidequests do respawn, but for some in which you receive a unique item, you cannot receive that unique item more then once? Is that correct?

All of the side quests and their rewards can be received a second time, once True Vault Hunter Mode begins.

The reason people skip side quests in TVHM is because some of the quest rewards have unique abilities, but even during TVHM the level of the quest (and reward) will not be level 50. If you finish TVHM story though, everything in the game - including quest rewards - will scale up to level 50. So people skip side quests in TVHM until the story is finished and everything is level 50, then they go back and do them to get the level 50 versions of quest rewards.

Nothing that happens in normal mode matters at all.

It's too early for me to start theorycrafting I suppose (I'm like level 7) but I just had a look at Zer0's skill tree and fuck. No clue what I'm gonna do. I guess I'm somewhat handicapped by the fact that Many Must Fall was apparently created specifically for me to use seeing as it sounds like the slickest fucking thing ever; however, Tw0 Fang is the reincarnation of my favorite BL skill and would work very well with the guns I'm hoping to get. But there's no apparent way to get both, ever. And top top of off a bunch of the first three tiers of skills in sniping are totally worthwhile as well. Damn. You cruel, skill point maximum.

Tw0 Fang is really good, but it's not as good as Mordecai's Gun Crazy. Gun Crazy didn't actually fire any additional projectiles, it just caused the projectile(s) that were fired to deal double damage (before crit modifier), which was pretty amazing. Tw0 Fang actually does force the weapon to instantly fire a second round, and it consumes ammo just as if it were a normal bullet and will have its own projectile path separate from the bullet that triggered it. That does mean you will never proc Tw0 Fang on the last round of each magazine. If you are using a burst fire weapon (Dahl stuff) each shot of the burst rolls against Tw0 Fang individually.

D6AMIA6N

Understood, thank you very much.

EDIT: Just to add something, I really appreciate the fact that Borderlands enables the ability to respec you character. I wish all games had that option.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nothing that happens in normal mode matters at all.
Not to derail, but statements like this make me wish this game and others that follow the same sort of structure let you click an "I know what I'm doing" button to give you a level 25 character with points to be allocated starting out on the hardest difficulty. Not that I'm not enjoying the atmosphere, quests, story, etc. so far but just the knowledge that I'll have to cut through it all a second time to get to the good stuff is so counterintuitive. The egregiously nonchallenging Normal difficulty in Diablo III is the best example I've encountered.

Oh well. Definitely gonna avoid tons of quests so they'll be new to me in the end :)
Tw0 Fang is really good, but it's not as good as Mordecai's Gun Crazy. Gun Crazy didn't actually fire any additional projectiles, it just caused the projectile(s) that were fired to deal double damage
Not true! I tested it on a wall once- Mashers would actually shoot out 14 shells. :D

Tw0 Fang actually does force the weapon to instantly fire a second round, and it consumes ammo just as if it were a normal bullet and will have its own projectile path separate from the bullet that triggered it.
...oh. I see what you mean. Screw that, makes the decision much easier! I appreciate the help!

I think a lot of you theorycrafters will love Gaige the Mechromancer ;)
Are there any sort of personal favors I could do for you to get this lovely class at a discount? :p

Wallach

Hey Adam, any idea if you guys plan on doing something about the Bee? Or are you guys planning to just let it rock? Seems like it might make future DLC content less interesting as it stands. Just curious.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hey Adam, any idea if you guys plan on doing something about the Bee? Or are you guys planning to just let it rock? Seems like it might make future DLC content less interesting as it stands. Just curious.
I'm curious in general if they're going to tweak the rarity and difficulty in general with the onset of people "maxing" out this game so quick.

Wallach

I'm curious in general if they're going to tweak the rarity and difficulty in general with the onset of people "maxing" out this game so quick.

A lot of that had to do with how broken the Bee turned out to be, though. Mind you, even without the Bee it still would have happened pretty fast, but I don't think that's a receipt of TVHM being too easy or anything.

I miss the things you would pick up in Borderlands 1 that gave your ability an elemental effect.

I'm about level 22 with my Soldier and his turret is pretty ineffective against some enemies (like the 3 legged rock guys). I was trying to get to the dual turret ability as fast as possible, but now I'm thinking that getting the rockets first would be more useful against tougher enemies. I plan on doing a dual turret with rocket volley build, but that will take almost until level 50 to get. Decisions, decisions...

BTW, I already can't wait for the level cap to be raised, and I haven't even gotten a character past 34 or so, haha.

Deitus

The egregiously nonchallenging Normal difficulty in Diablo III is the best example I've encountered.

I think the difference is, in Diablo III there was simply no challenge to be found in normal mode. You could just face roll your way through the entire campaign on normal mode and maybe die once or twice against a boss, but other than that never run into anything that required effort to kill.

In BL2, you probably will die a few times in your first playthrough, especially if you are playing solo. Even in places where the combat gets pretty easy, you actually do have to take care not to get swarmed, and take cover to regenerate shields at times. Especially since your field of view is limited, it can be quite easy for a Psycho to get behind you, or a suicide psycho to get within detonation range of you, unless you pay attention to your surroundings. The only time you can actually derp your way through the combat on normal mode is if you are really overleveled. It's easy, but not insultingly so.

Nelo Ice

Banned

Any chance you guys will be adding skippable cutscenes and dialogue? It gets really annoying having to watch or hear something before being able to move on for each and every char and playthrough.

Also would be nice if loot was actually useful since right now if you get yourself a bee and conference call you can destroy just about anything in the game and all there is left to do is farm for loot just to collect like I'm what doing.

KingKong

I started playthrough 2 and the 'get shield' quest was available right away, am I crazy or did I get it from Sanctuary the first time? Maybe I missed accepting the quest from Hammerlock before

Wallach

I started playthrough 2 and the 'get shield' quest was available right away, am I crazy or did I get it from Sanctuary the first time? Maybe I missed accepting the quest from Hammerlock before

It should be acquired in Southern Shelf. If you picked it up in Sanctuary the first time it just means you missed taking it from him originally.

That's what the pistol class that fit that description was called in BL1. I don't know if they made it into this game or not, but fuck I loved them so much I'd have legally married my favorite 3. I had a skill with Mordecai called Gun Crazy that gave a 40% chance per shot to double the number of bullets/shells per trigger pull which made them just ludicrous.

Pity. I had a lovely collection of them.

oic.

Just finished the
Bloodwing
boss fight. Awful. Man this game is really grating on me. If I wasn't playing it co-op with a sense of social obligation I'd probably have quit by now.

KingKong

It should be acquired in Southern Shelf. If you picked it up in Sanctuary the first time it just means you missed taking it from him originally.

yep I just read up on it, I didnt do that 'clear graveyard and lake' quest until after the Claptrap quest which then gives the shield and fur ones

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Also would be nice if loot was actually useful since right now if you get yourself a bee and conference call you can destroy just about anything in the game and all there is left to do is farm for loot just to collect like I'm what doing.
Yeah I feel like if people are even able to farm the legendaries so quickly, that doesn't bode well for longevity of the game, even if it is not competitively-based and largely SP/co-op where it doesn't affect others so much.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yeah I feel like if people are even able to farm the legendaries so quickly, that doesn't bode well for longevity of the game, even if it is not competitively-based and largely SP/co-op where it doesn't affect others so much.

Even playing co-op is kinda of pointless end game besides I guess trying to get Vermi to spawn. You can destroy everything by yourself even with the 4 player mod and you don't exactly get more loot with more people just a chance at getting better loot. So why bother doing co-op when you can farm alot faster alone and keep all the loot yourself.

Wallach

On a different note, I really feel like this game should work on their use button functionality.

For starters, ammo and cash should just automatically area-grab rather than having to hold the use button. Nobody really wants or needs to pick up a single unit of ammo or a single pile of cash. It's made much more annoying by the fact that the same function (holding use) also causes you to immediately equip a weapon on the ground; this command needs to be stand-alone so that people don't do this accidentally. Luckily the command it shares with the input is totally useless, so there's really no reason not to axe it altogether.

Also, they implemented a secondary use function and didn't really wind up using it well. Why not have secondary use pick up an item on the ground that automatically gets flagged as trash? Or secondary use looking at an ammo/medical station fill all available ammo/health to capacity?

They could make it so level 51+ gear and enemies are leagues more powerful then anything currently in the game. I think that would go a along way in making the Bee less powerful.

does that 4-player mod give better lot chances from The Warrior?

also, I asked before but didn't get any responses: how does one get The Warrior to disappear to get items he's laying on? I tried leaving, but then you have to go all the way through that hyperion base again to get back to The Vault. or am I doing it wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom