• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
does that 4-player mod give better lot chances from [SPOILERT]he Warrior[/SPOILER]?

I don't think it even does that just takes a bit longer to kill him. I've killed him twice with it on and nothing better and if something good did drop it was hidden under his body or it fell into the lava.

edit:Seems to get his body to dissapear you gotta run all the way back to the
eridium blight
then go back to the
vault.

char0n

Man this game gets better as you get used to it/things keep going. I keep thinking "I've just about had it trying to get through solo" when I reach a really frustrating section/mission that absolutely destroys me (read: I die at least 3 times just trying to get through an area) but then it's like the game knows and gives me a drop that changes everything, like last night after having the only weapon I had with slag being a weak-ass pistol with like a 12% chance, I suddenly happen upon a Maliwan sniper that not only does double the damage of my current best sniper with equivalent stats the rest of the way down but also has a 54.6% chance of slagging enemies.

Couple of questions: Does doing the side missions in your initial playthrough (1) affect playthrough 2/TVHM? I keep seeing people saying to avoid the side missions entirely until you beat the second playthrough so that the missions/rewards will level up but does that really mean that any side missions you do in playthrough 1 do NOT show up in playthrough 2 (unlike BL1)? If so laaaame! EDIT: Looks like this was answered as I was typing my huge diatribe below. Glad I haven't screwed myself over by taking sidemissions on in the first run through!

Question 2: Any other "hoarders" in games here, and how do you deal with it? I bought all of the backpack upgrades as soon as I could and I keep finding myself having to make hard decisions on loot (the best I can get myself down to is around 23/27 full backpack) every other mission even including using the bank/stash between missions (and I've purchased half of the upgrades for that). The problem with the variety is you can get a LOT of equally-good (for different situations) but entirely different weapons of the same class, so even when I take things down to only what I really want to keep/can't decide on, I still have something like 4 handguns, 4 sniper rifles, 4 smgs, 3 assault rifles, 3 shotguns, 2 rocket launchers, 2 shields, 3 artifacts, 3 class mods, and 4 grenade mods. Like recently I found a cluster grenade mod that does pretty weak base damage compared to my current bruisers and only has 4 children, but those children are homing, they also slag, AND they also transfuse which can be a lifesaver when I get myself in too deep and am waiting for my stupid slow health regen mod to work (if I'm using that one). On the other hand I have a normal cluster grenade that does 3x the base damage of that one and also has 10 children (perfect for tight rooms full of enemies or giant slow movers), but no effects at all and a long-ish fuse, a corrosive AoE grenade that does pretty good corrosive damage for a long time (great for bottlenecked bots), and a slag grenade with "make it rain". Every weapon type is a different version of this same problem. I had this same problem with BL1 but not nearly as pronounced as the combined strengths/weaknesses of weapons didn't seem to vary nearly as much.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I think the difference is, in Diablo III there was simply no challenge to be found in normal mode. You could just face roll your way through the entire campaign on normal mode and maybe die once or twice against a boss, but other than that never run into anything that required effort to kill.
I died a pretty good number of times in Diablo III.

...then about 3/4 of the way through the game I made my first visit to the auction house and that's all it took to completely dominate the rest of the game. I think I only made 2 or 3 visits total.

I got Vermi to spawn twice this morning and haven't since. Uuuugh this is so horrible.

Always fun having the group you're herding completely disappear after respawning, including an ultimate badass varkid.

garath

Man this game gets better as you get used to it/things keep going. I keep thinking "I've just about had it trying to get through solo" when I reach a really frustrating section/mission that absolutely destroys me (read: I die at least 3 times just trying to get through an area) but then it's like the game knows and gives me a drop that changes everything, like last night after having the only weapon I had with slag being a weak-ass pistol with like a 12% chance, I suddenly happen upon a Maliwan sniper that not only does double the damage of my current best sniper with equivalent stats the rest of the way down but also has a 54.6% chance of slagging enemies.

Couple of questions: Does doing the side missions in your initial playthrough (1) affect playthrough 2/TVHM? I keep seeing people saying to avoid the side missions entirely until you beat the second playthrough so that the missions/rewards will level up but does that really mean that any side missions you do in playthrough 1 do NOT show up in playthrough 2 (unlike BL1)? If so laaaame! EDIT: Looks like this was answered as I was typing my huge diatribe below. Glad I haven't screwed myself over by taking sidemissions on in the first run through!

Question 2: Any other "hoarders" in games here, and how do you deal with it? I bought all of the backpack upgrades as soon as I could and I keep finding myself having to make hard decisions on loot (the best I can get myself down to is around 23/27 full backpack) every other mission even including using the bank/stash between missions (and I've purchased half of the upgrades for that). The problem with the variety is you can get a LOT of equally-good (for different situations) but entirely different weapons of the same class, so even when I take things down to only what I really want to keep/can't decide on, I still have something like 4 handguns, 4 sniper rifles, 4 smgs, 3 assault rifles, 3 shotguns, 2 rocket launchers, 2 shields, 3 artifacts, 3 class mods, and 4 grenade mods. Like recently I found a cluster grenade mod that does pretty weak base damage compared to my current bruisers and only has 4 children, but those children are homing, they also slag, AND they also transfuse which can be a lifesaver when I get myself in too deep and am waiting for my stupid slow health regen mod to work (if I'm using that one). On the other hand I have a normal cluster grenade that does 3x the base damage of that one and also has 10 children (perfect for tight rooms full of enemies or giant slow movers), but no effects at all and a long-ish fuse, a corrosive AoE grenade that does pretty good corrosive damage for a long time (great for bottlenecked bots), and a slag grenade with "make it rain". Every weapon type is a different version of this same problem. I had this same problem with BL1 but not nearly as pronounced as the combined strengths/weaknesses of weapons didn't seem to vary nearly as much.

1) Do anything you want in the first runthrough. The advice to skip sidemissions is ONLY for your second playthrough when you are only level 30-40. The reward level reflects your level when you ACCEPT the mission so if you accept a mission at level 34 with a really neat unique weapon, you'll get a level 34 weapon as a reward. However, if you skip that mission until the end, you'll be level 50 and get a level 50 version of that unique weapon. Make sense?

2) Do you really need 4 of every type of weapon? Do you use that many in a given set of missions? Really start using the weapons and pick your favorites. Sure there's situations where your favorite fire SMG is resisted by every mob, then pull out your shock pistol. I usually carry 8-10 extra items and they're almost all weapons. I don't carry extra grenade mods or class mods usually. And I'm constantly finding new things that replace the old. I dunno man.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You could've pre-ordered the game...
I could not have preordered the game for $26, and I still would save significantly buying this DLC plus my copy of the game versus having preordered it.

However, I appreciate your input and will take it into consideration next time around. Have a good day!

Ugh, I think I screwed myself over.

I've just finished my first play through and I was hoping to farm a maggie legendary pistol before my second play through but I've just realised it drops from
Mick Zaford. The problem is that I chose his side during the Clan Wars.
Is there any other way to get it?

Wallach

Ugh, I think I screwed myself over.

I've just finished my first play through and I was hoping to farm a maggie legendary pistol before my second play through but I've just realised it drops from
Mick Zaford. The problem is that I chose his side during the Clan Wars.
Is there any other way to get it?

No. On the other hand, it wouldn't be useful to you anyway because it would only be around level 18.

Log4Girlz

Ok, so I go back to Moxxi. Just 100 dollars and she gives me yet another good touch. Fuck. Its like this game knows I wanted a good corrosive SMG during the second play through and said "FUCK YOU".

rac

Banned
Ok, so I go back to Moxxi. Just 100 dollars and she gives me yet another good touch. Fuck. Its like this game knows I wanted a good corrosive SMG during the second play through and said "FUCK YOU".
I'm on playthrough 2 and she only gives me the good touch never the corrosive.

I don't think it even does that just takes a bit longer to kill him. I've killed him twice with it on and nothing better and if something good did drop it was hidden under his body or it fell into the lava.

edit:Seems to get his body to dissapear you gotta run all the way back to the
eridium blight
then go back to the
vault.

lol at those spoiler tags.

nel e nel

2) Do you really need 4 of every type of weapon? Do you use that many in a given set of missions? Really start using the weapons and pick your favorites. Sure there's situations where your favorite fire SMG is resisted by every mob, then pull out your shock pistol. I usually carry 8-10 extra items and they're almost all weapons. I don't carry extra grenade mods or class mods usually. And I'm constantly finding new things that replace the old. I dunno man.

I've found using Marcus' firing range has been invaluable in helping me decide which guns to keep/get rid of. If I have 3 different slag weapons of different variety (sniper, pistol, SMG) but I'm not sure about the pros and cons of each, I go down there and test them all out for damage, fire rate, reload speed etc, and then only keep the one I like best.

Wallach

Ah, I never thought of that. At least I know what to do on my second play through.

Thanks a bunch, much less disappointed now.

Yeah, just remember to choose the right side the second time. For that particular line it won't matter when you do the quest unless you also want the final quest reward to scale to level 50. Zaford will scale to 50 once TVHM story is complete either way so you'll be able to farm the max level gun no matter when the quest is finished.

I've killed a lot of Rakks
db64d.jpg

metalshade

Yeah, just remember to choose the right side the second time. For that particular line it won't matter when you do the quest unless you also want the final quest reward to scale to level 50. Zaford will scale to 50 once TVHM story is complete either way so you'll be able to farm the max level gun no matter when the quest is finished.
Where exactly do I go to find him again? And how do I initiate the fight?
Is there a list out yet of who drops what and where to find them? I am a lvl 48 Axton and havent farmed anything at all yet.

char0n

This actually sparked something in my head about how maybe I'm investing my SDU upgrades wrong... One of the reasons I probably have that many is so that I have more than one of the same effect on a different weapon type in case I run out of that type's ammo (so I have a fire sniper/smg, a slag pistol/sniper, a corrosive assault/rocket launcher, lightning shotgun/smg, huuuuuuge damage stats rocket launcher/shotgun), so if I start going for ammo upgrades on my most commonly used weapon types (sniper, smg, shotgun) I'll be less worried about having my investments diversified so to speak. I also keep a couple explosive weapons but haven't really found a use for them aside from doing bonus damage.

I've found using Marcus' firing range has been invaluable in helping me decide which guns to keep/get rid of. If I have 3 different slag weapons of different variety (sniper, pistol, SMG) but I'm not sure about the pros and cons of each, I go down there and test them all out for damage, fire rate, reload speed etc, and then only keep the one I like best.

This is a great idea too, I definitely admit I picked up some weapons I thought would be perfect for certain enemies/situations only to more than once switch to them in that situation and find out they were actually worthless, like I got a high-damage grenade launcher AR I thought would be perfect for blowing the leg-crystals off of slow moving crystalisks only to find that the slow fire rate + consuming 3 ammo per shot made it no faster and left me in worse shape than my "standard" AR.

Helscream

Banned
I got Vermi to spawn twice this morning and haven't since. Uuuugh this is so horrible.

Always fun having the group you're herding completely disappear after respawning, including an ultimate badass varkid.

How the hell do you get him to spawn? Early this morning me and 3 other players would have no problem getting a varkid to turn into a Ultimate Badass, but regardless what we did we could never turn it into
Verimous the Invincible
. We even tried luring near
Thresher Maws in Caustic Cavern or even Bandits in Tundra express
. Didn't do a damn thing.

Do you know exactly what needs to be done? Is there something I am missing or is it really a long, drawn out, exhaustive process? Because 3 out of 4 of us had the
Blood of Terramorphous Relic.

you guys ever hear a man's voice instead of Maya's voice during her speaking parts?

shit is weird...

also, Slot Machine probability:

1 in 4.9 (20.5%)= White Weapon
1 in 6.5 (15.4%)= Green Weapon
1 in 65 (1.54%)= Blue Weapon
1 in 669 (0.15%)= Purple/Pink Weapon
1 in 5461 (0.018%)= Orange Weapon
1 in 39 (2.6%)= Eridium
1 in 131 (0.8%)= Double Eridium
1 in 443 (0.23%)= Triple Eridium
1 in 4 (25%)= Money (Random amount)
1 in 13 (7.8%)= Bouncing Betty
1 in 20 (5%)= Skin
1 in 4.9 (20.5%)= Nothing

you guys ever hear a man's voice instead of Maya's voice during her speaking parts?

shit is weird...

1 in 39 (2.6%)= Eridium
1 in 20 (5%)= Skin

Oppurtunity Spoilers:
When you do the quest to reach Angel one of them gives you Jacks voice. It stays as his voice until you finish the Where Angels Fear Tread quest

Wallach

shit is weird...

1 in 39 (2.6%)= Eridium
1 in 20 (5%)= Skin

Yeah, supposedly they use standard Vegas machine odds for the slots with the rate of cash loss set to the assumption that the weapon value is counted towards your winnings.

Makes me feel pretty good about winning a legendary off my first Axton pull.

TRios Zen

Don't know if this has been asked before, but if you get a legendary drop in your first play through, will a stronger version of that legendary drop again in TVHM or 2.5?

I've only received one so far, but I didn't farm for it, just got lucky I guess, and I'd love a stronger version of it in subsequent games.

nel e nel

This actually sparked something in my head about how maybe I'm investing my SDU upgrades wrong...

Well, I think investing in backpack and safe SDUs early isn't a bad idea, but it's definitely worth it to spread the Eridian around among your most used weapons as well for just the reasons' you stated.

Log4Girlz

Man, the Striker shotgun is so good. Unlike most shottys which are garbage at distance, this thing has such a tight spread, that in some situations, its almost as good as a sniper gun.

Awful because what they did to the character, or you just don't like the game at all?
I thought it was a terrible boss fight, what with the regenerating health and all the little guys you have to contend with in addition to the boss.

The game itself is OK at times but the sense of humor and non stop chatter gets on my nerves.

Geez, on my main character I didn't get a legendary gun for like 10 or 12 hours. I just started a Gunzerker character and got a legendary level 2 pistol from Knuckle Dragger 9 minutes into the game.

Gartooth

Been farming the final boss for close to 5 hours today, and not a single legendary item. I said it before but I will say it again that drop rates for legendary items in general in the entire game is just terrible. It takes a lot of the fun out of farming, and the current situation would be 100x worse if nobody discovered The Bee trick, because otherwise nobody would farm at all due to how much hard work you have to put in only to get terrible loot back.

Might as well not even hope for Pearlescent guns to return, Orange is hard enough to get with the current situation.

Raxus

I wonder if first kills have better drop rates than the regular loot tables. I know this applies to the final boss.

Wallach

Been farming the final boss for close to 5 hours today, and not a single legendary item. I said it before but I will say it again that drop rates for legendary items in general in the entire game is just terrible. It takes a lot of the fun out of farming, and the current situation would be 100x worse if nobody discovered The Bee trick, because otherwise nobody would farm at all due to how much hard work you have to put in only to get terrible loot back.

Doesn't seem that way. It is very easy to get a whole bunch of legendaries. The only time the rates are screwed up are the ones that are loot pinatas (like the one you're farming), and I imagine it's because all of the other stuff on their loot tables makes it much harder to land the item you're farming for. When you farm guys that basically drop nothing except the chance to drop a particular legendary it is usually very easy to get.

Smash88

Banned
While the overall game expands upon Borderlands 1, does anyone feel this is getting stale?

It's the same game as B1 except they made improvements in certain areas. It's still a fetch quest + loot game. I wish they would've made it more unique going forward, but it's just more of the same.

I was hoping for them to do something unique with the game or expand onto the formula, thus far it's the same go here do this come back, here is a small prize game. It just feels like an over-glorified MMO.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Geez, on my main character I didn't get a legendary gun for like 10 or 12 hours. I just started a Gunzerker character and got a legendary level 2 pistol from Knuckle Dragger 9 minutes into the game.

I've played through normal and TVHM and probably killed the Warrior 100+ times. Guess how many legendary weapons my character has? NONE.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I think investing in backpack and safe SDUs early isn't a bad idea, but it's definitely worth it to spread the Eridian around among your most used weapons as well for just the reasons' you stated.

I did backpack first and then a few safes (but not max safe) before I started dropping everything into SMGs. At the time I had just found out the joys of dual wielding elemental SMGs with my Gunzerker (one of them being slag) and he chewed through ammo super fast. Didn't have that issue dual wielding any other weapon types. After SMGs it was a few sniper upgrades and a lot of grenade upgrades.

breakfuss

While the overall game expands upon Borderlands 1, does anyone feel this is getting stale?

It's the same game as B1 except they made improvements in certain areas. It's still a fetch quest + loot game. I wish they would've made it more unique going forward, but it's just more of the same.

I was hoping for them to do something unique with the game or expand onto the formula, thus far it's the same go here do this come back, here is a small prize game. It just feels like an over-glorified MMO.

Hmmm. Well, true, they only made improvements in certain areas, but these areas were critical. The narrative they've woven completely and utterly blows the first entry out of the water. The characters (both NPCs and protagonists) have had so much life pumped into them. Also, while the first game boasted tons of guns, BL2's weapons have a striking distinct aspect based on the manufacturer and their variability is now even greater because they added a lot more parts that can change randomly. No, overall it isn't a radical departure from the first, but did it need to be?

Gartooth

Doesn't seem that way. It is very easy to get a whole bunch of legendaries. The only time the rates are screwed up are the ones that are loot pinatas (like the one you're farming), and I imagine it's because all of the other stuff on their loot tables makes it much harder to land the item you're farming for. When you farm guys that basically drop nothing except the chance to drop a particular legendary it is usually very easy to get.

That's a huge problem though, because what is the point of raid bosses such as Terramorph, when players can get legendaries easier and quicker from other enemies. It pretty much defeats the entire purpose of fighting a long and grueling battle, but getting awesome loot in the end. Given the loot situation, there isn't much motivation to beat him after you get the class mod from the first battle so it pretty much makes raids such as those all but useless in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom