• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

It's not 100% of the time. I tried all 4 controllers of mine. As well as two of my friends consoles. Every single controller and console had the issue. Yes this is 360.

Dunno then. I've had controllers have drift out of the box new, but if you're getting it on multiple controllers and consoles that's probably not it. I wasn't getting it, but I only did it for like a minute. Weird that they wouldn't even acknowledge it on their forums though.

Dunno then. I've had controllers have drift out of the box new, but if you're getting it on multiple controllers and consoles that's probably not it. I wasn't getting it, but I only did it for like a minute. Weird that they wouldn't even acknowledge it on their forums though.

Maybe no one uses legacy. It's a pain in the ass when I do the slots haha.

Level 17 here. Just got amazing loot from the slots. I got all three borderlands symbols. My first orange weapon!!!

7t7i9.jpg

Awesome, that was also my first orange and I also got it as a reward from the slots. I was using mine well into TVHM. It'll always have a spot in my bank. It's a beastly weapon indeed, be sure to cherish it.

Man, I wanna hit all of the Borderlands symbols one of these days. I've got 1M to blow on those slots.

Part of me wants to spend all my money on the slots, but instead of selling the junky items I win, just pile them up somewhere in Sanctuary. See if maybe I can fill up Zed's place.

Dizzy-4U

Finally finished it and it took me 60hs. Even though there are some rough spots, it's definitely my GOTY so far. So much better than the first it's ridiculous.

Also, I lost it at the credits with that dude thanking his adorable fluttershy. I don't know if it was intentional or not but I had a good laugh.

I soloed the final boss on NG+ 3 times tonight and every single time the purples and yellow loot were all unobtainable underneath the boss. Gearbox, did you test your own game? How the h*ll do you not notice that the best loot isnt obtainable due to the boss falling on it? And to make matters worse the boss doesnt even disappear, negating the option to wait around to grab the loot you earned. Just stupid. I love the game, but a loot game where you can't grab the best loot is effing dumb.

CLOCKED IT! Level 33 Zero with a maxed Bloodshed tree (kinda shit, ultimately). It was a very fun ride; 48 hours of purely lonesome playtime is definitely testament to that.

Re: the final boss:

What the hell was that? Seriously. It's as if I wasn't even there. All I had to do was painstakingly chip away at his health with a sniper while he jumped around, ignoring me entirely. Very strange and very boring.

I also started TVHM briefly. Holy shit, is the ante upped something shocking. I don't even know if I want to do it. Sure, dying in this game is practically without consequence, but by god if it isn't extremely fucking grating. Dark Souls garners a lot of attention for being "impossible", but I would definitely assert that TVHM is worse.

There's just so much to be done and I don't know if I have the patience for it, but I WANT THAT LOOT.

So, can you guys give me some tips, etc on how to approach this beast? Many thanks!

After farming terramorphous for a few days I think I got the best mods out of it. Just need to get one for zero.

Nice, those are the first ones I've seen that go 26%/26%/8200+.

BTW, question about the Legendary class mods (which I believe drop from Verm): Do those come in both +4 and +5 skill boost varieties, or am I mistaken?

I soloed the final boss on NG+ 3 times tonight and every single time the purples and yellow loot were all unobtainable underneath the boss. Gearbox, did you test your own game? How the h*ll do you not notice that the best loot isnt obtainable due to the boss falling on it? And to make matters worse the boss doesnt even disappear, negating the option to wait around to grab the loot you earned. Just stupid. I love the game, but a loot game where you can't grab the best loot is effing dumb.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I believe you can exit the room and go all the way back through
Hero's Pass
and he should disappear, but I've never tried it personally. The worst thing is when some of the loot goes flying 50 yards in the wrong direction and it ends up completely out of reach. If I were to ever see an orange item fly over head and land somewhere I can't reach, I might lose my shit.

Edgeward

Explosive shotguns are serving me very well in TVHM, especially paired with a slag weapon when in zerk mode.

But man, feels like I'm running into fewer blue and above drops compared to normal mode. You get some greens that seem comparable to a purple and above in normal so maybe the rares are really really good and they had to change the rarity structure to compensate.

One thing I've decided I hate about Borderlands is how if you build up a cash horde naturally, the game penalizes you for playing the game.

So when you're up against tough enemies your cash will be zapped quickly when respawning.
I guess without it there's less challenge but it seems like an artificial system.

I'd like to see them rethink a lot of the game structure from the ground-up for Borderworlds on next-gen.

I also started TVHM briefly. Holy shit, is the ante upped something shocking. I don't even know if I want to do it. Sure, dying in this game is practically without consequence, but by god if it isn't extremely fucking grating. Dark Souls garners a lot of attention for being "impossible", but I would definitely assert that TVHM is worse.

There's just so much to be done and I don't know if I have the patience for it, but I WANT THAT LOOT.

So, can you guys give me some tips, etc on how to approach this beast? Many thanks!

Me personally, playing as a Gunzerker who tanked through the first playthrough, I had to change my strategy significantly. I found myself doing a lot more sniping and taking cover far more often than previously before. I did a lot more mid/long-range fighting than close range, which took some getting used to. Hell, for some missions, I would just complete the objective and get the fuck out of there to avoid any unnecessary overwhelming battles.

I also think there's more of a focus on using the proper elemental effects against your enemies. Electricity against shielded enemies, corrosive against armor, etc. Slag seemed to be more useful as well. They're quite a bit stronger this time around so you need every advantage you can get.

Also, don't be too attached to the loot you carry over from PT1. I was dumping my blues/purples from the end of PT1 for whites/greens early in PT2.

There are some really tough battles early on and midway through (
Making your way through Thousand Cuts to reach BNK3R is especially terrible in TVHM
) but once you start getting higher quality gear to match you and your enemies' level, you'll have an easier time.

Insaniac

jeez the weapon damage really jumps around level 40. I was running around with a 4500 damage sniper rifle then BAM, 13,000 damage sniper rifle wtf.

One thing I've decided I hate about Borderlands is how if you build up a cash horde naturally, the game penalizes you for playing the game.

So when you're up against tough enemies your cash will be zapped quickly when respawning.
I guess without it there's less challenge but it seems like an artificial system.

I'd like to see them rethink a lot of the game structure from the ground-up for Borderworlds on next-gen.

I don't understand the logic of making you pay a percentage per death. Seems arbitrary and lame. The game encourages you to not have money to avoid this penalty. It should just be a flat rate similar to how the slot machines charge a flat rate per level.

Also, don't be too attached to the loot you carry over from PT1. I was dumping my blues/purples from the end of PT1 for whites/greens early in PT2.

Thanks, dude. Fuck, that makes me sad, though. I love some of my guns, if only for how aesthetically swanky they are, but I know that they won't cut it :(. I struggle with this stuff. Ha.

Having now played my Siren all the way through NG and NG+, both solo, I think NG was far more fun and balanced than NG+(aka TVHM). TVHM solo was more frustrating at times than it was fun, and several of the bosses didnt feel tuned properly towards solo play. Or they were tuned thinking the player would have much better gear than I had, but the game is incredibly selfish with high quality gear in solo mode. I had to cheese two of the boss fights since they were incredibly frustrating otherwise. Despite the numerous quality control issues I and others have pointed out, I loved the game. The world and missions are much more interesting, as are the characters. Some I liked more than others, but overall they were great. The humor was forced some of the time, but at other times it worked perfectly.

Contemplating trying a 2nd character, or just waiting a couple weeks to play Gaige.

So, TVHM... Do the story missions only, reach level 50 and then do side missions to reap best loot? Good approach?

I'm level 43 and I just reached
Sanctuary in the sky
so I'm not sure that you'll be able to reach level 50 soon enough to leave the sidequests for later.

Stantron

So, TVHM... Do the story missions only, reach level 50 and then do side missions to reap best loot? Good approach?

What about if I talk to a person to see what side mission they are offering, but don't accept it yet. If it shows as say level 40 now, will that same side mission jump up to level 50 after I complete my second play through and reach level 50 myself?

My phyx option is randomly greyed out all of a sudden.

Granted I don't have a nvidia card so I wasn't about to change it anytime soon, but it's the weirdest thing.

Ramirez

I can't get the World Traveler or whatever achievement to pop. I've loaded up every single map, and I do not have a single spot that is fogged out, no clue what I'm missing. I also lack one thing for the level 1 achievements, finding that Jenkins guy, which seems to be complete random luck from what I've read. Ugh

Xanathus

I can't get the World Traveler or whatever achievement to pop. I've loaded up every single map, and I do not have a single spot that is fogged out, no clue what I'm missing. I also lack one thing for the level 1 achievements, finding that Jenkins guy, which seems to be complete random luck from what I've read. Ugh
The ones I was missing at the end that are very hard to spot on the map was a campsite which you have to jump down to from the buzzard's nest, and a zone under the location where you fight Flynt.

The last spots I needed for World Traveler were in Southern Shelf - Bay, which has to be walked to from Southern Shelf. Try going there.

I plantinumed the game this week.

I was severely disappointed that we didn't get to go on the moon base thing in the sky.

Better make some SPACE DLC.....!

Does anyone have an estimate when the 1st DLC will be out (besides the mechromancer update)? Presumably this year still or not?

Ark

I plantinumed the game this week.

I was severely disappointed that we didn't get to go on the moon base thing in the sky.

Better make some SPACE DLC.....!

Does anyone have an estimate when the 1st DLC will be out (besides the mechromancer update)? Presumably this year still or not?

I assume they'll release some Halloween DLC around Halloween? Just guessing. I imagine Gearbox will want to cash in on any DLC while the game is still riding the wave of hype.

kamspy

It's been 3 days now and I can't launch my game.

Every time I launch the game it goes to the "completing installation" dialog box. This has happened before (a lot) and never been a problem.

Now it hangs at 1% and then tells me Steam Servers Are Too Busy to Handle My Request. Been googling and can't find an answer. Steam support lead me to knowledge base articles which haven't helped at all.

wtf.

Woo-Fu

Banned
A nice combination of wtf and doh! here.

q62Hl.jpg

0bVaY.jpg

In other news I'm starting to feel like I'm being punished for playing solo. I've seen exactly one legendary weapon(grenade mod from the warrior)drop in ~200 hours of play. Looking forward to a mod/patch that addresses the legendary drop rate. I've used the player number tool to bump it up to four and have not noticed it making a significant difference in anything other than cash drops.

Double D

Every time I launch the game it goes to the "completing installation" dialog box. This has happened before (a lot) and never been a problem.

Now it hangs at 1% and then tells me Steam Servers Are Too Busy to Handle My Request. Been googling and can't find an answer. Steam support lead me to knowledge base articles which haven't helped at all.

wtf.

This sucks. I'd be pretty pissed. Do your other steam games work? If it were me I'd probably try uninstalling and re-download/install. I know that's not what you want to hear but at this point I'd try anything.

NIN90

wtf.

This worked for me with CS:GO
http://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discussions/0/882962139130205561/

kamspy

This sucks. I'd be pretty pissed. Do your other steam games work? If it were me I'd probably try uninstalling and re-download/install. I know that's not what you want to hear but at this point I'd try anything.

THanks for the help guys. Unfortunately, I"ve tried all those thing. Opting out, opting in. deleting blob files. Everything.

EDIT: other steam games work fine. The only "completing installation" dialog I've ever got was in BL2. Before it would just shoot up to 100%. Now it hangs at 1% and then tells me Steam servers are too busy. I've tried during off peak ours, changing servers. The works. All other Steam games work fine. Now I haven't tried all 400 games, but the half dozen I have tried worked just fine

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

wtf.
Add me on Steam, I can help (I hope :p)

Double D

I'm level 25 so far, just about to do The man who would be Jack mission. Getting to level 50 will be a hell of a slog.

This is the truth. I'm level 27 and am a few story missions ahead of you. I think I was a few levels lower than you were at the point you are currently at, so at least you've got that going for you. I started bailing on sidequests but hit a wall last night on the story stuff so I had to complete some sidequests. I have no idea how some of you are already done with 2 playthroughs. I feel like I've been playing the shit out of this game and haven't finished it once.

Amzin

THanks for the help guys. Unfortunately, I"ve tried all those thing. Opting out, opting in. deleting blob files. Everything.

EDIT: other steam games work fine. The only "completing installation" dialog I've ever got was in BL2. Before it would just shoot up to 100%. Now it hangs at 1% and then tells me Steam servers are too busy. I've tried during off peak ours, changing servers. The works. All other Steam games work fine. Now I haven't tried all 400 games, but the half dozen I have tried worked just fine

Based on that I'm assuming you've already reinstalled BL2 at least once, and verified the integrity, so the next thing to do I guess is try and hunt down the registry key in Windows and flag it as installed. I've had to do something similar with Magicka to stop it from going through the "first-time setup" every time I launch it. Only thing I can think of :l

grendelrt

This happened to me last night, i had played 50 hours up to this point. I tried a bunch of stuff, this finally fixed it. I was enrolled in Steam Beta updates. I opted back out of Steam Beta Updates, that relaunched steam. I then exited steam, downloaded the steam installer , ran it, picked repair installation. Then launched steam which updated again. After steam started, it updated a bunch of my games and I was able to complete the installation.

kamspy

Woooo. Sitting on 59% and climbing thanks to grendelrt advice.

Thanks to all that helped. Much appreciated. LiquidMetal14, I'm assuming that's your Steam name too?

grendelrt

Woooo. Sitting on 59% and climbing thanks to grendelrt advice.

Thanks to all that helped. Much appreciated. LiquidMetal14, I'm assuming that's your Steam name too?

Awesome glad it worked, I was worried last night when it happened to me, I need my crack!

So
Rakkman
doesn't respawn?

I'm here for the second time and he's not coming out, and the first time he didn't even drop his weapon. Characters like this that have special weapons attached to them should have a very high drop rate.

Zeth

Ok, so I know nothing about the whole Gold Key thing, and I'm probably missing out. Do I need to redeem codes to get them? Didn't preorder or anything like that.

Ok, so I know nothing about the whole Gold Key thing, and I'm probably missing out. Do I need to redeem codes to get them? Didn't preorder or anything like that.

From main menu go to Extras > Shift Code.

Fill the thing out and they'll give you a gold key. The developers also have been posting codes for keys on their twitter, so check back here often to know when a code will be posted.

steadfast

Yeah I just found out about the Rabid....those damn things. I have an "ok" explosive rifle that shoots REALLY fast and I still do almost zero damage. My turret that shoot missiles do a bit of damage but still...damn! For mobs only 1 level over me they are really something.

I'll go try the arena, didn't think about that.

The thing is I need better guns. I have a couple of golden keys but obviously I can't open the chest right now. I wonder if it would work if I go back to playthrough 1 to open it. After all it's supposed to scale to your level and shouldn't have any effect on which playthrough you are in.

I ended up zipping back to the Tundra Express - Farmhouse fast travel point; it's named well.

There's a gun vending machine in there so and a couple of small chests. I had to save/quit about 10 times before I got a decent shock weapon, but once I did, those Rabid assholes felt my wrath.

garath

I've got 4 golden keys now and I'm really tempted to cash in at least 1 with my level 17 siren. Crazy? :p

Enjoying the game though it kind of sucks that the skill progression is so slow. Waiting for that magical level 26 to max out a tree.

Ourobolus

Banned
I've got 4 golden keys now and I'm really tempted to cash in at least 1 with my level 17 siren. Crazy? :p

Enjoying the game though it kind of sucks that the skill progression is so slow. Waiting for that magical level 26 to max out a tree.

You mean level 31, right? :p

I'm only 28 :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom