• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Log4Girlz

I've got 4 golden keys now and I'm really tempted to cash in at least 1 with my level 17 siren. Crazy? :p

Enjoying the game though it kind of sucks that the skill progression is so slow. Waiting for that magical level 26 to max out a tree.

Sure, you may get a gun you can use for 10 levels.

Double D

You mean level 31, right? :p

I'm only 28 :'(

Yeah so I just went and did the calculator based on this post. I'm currently lvl 27 but this made me think about how many points/what level it takes to max out a tree. Why 31? I maxed out the bloodshed tree with 26 points. I can't remember, did we not get skill points during the first few levels?

edit: ^^I get it now.

This is the truth. I'm level 27 and am a few story missions ahead of you. I think I was a few levels lower than you were at the point you are currently at, so at least you've got that going for you. I started bailing on sidequests but hit a wall last night on the story stuff so I had to complete some sidequests. I have no idea how some of you are already done with 2 playthroughs. I feel like I've been playing the shit out of this game and haven't finished it once.

I have a level 45 Zer0 and level 10 Salvador and Steam says I have 60 hours into the game (it's actually more like 50, a lot of time sitting at the start screen, and I once left the game on pause for 5 hours because I didn't want to start an area over and I had to leave).

So roughly 1 level per hour for 50 hours.... it's long but not that long. I'm certainly not rushing through the game either, I've done quite a few side quests, spent a lot of time at the slot machines, and I play solo 90% of the time.

nel e nel

Looks like you're on 360, are you sure it's not just stick drift on your controller? I've gone through like 5 360 controllers since launch, all due to stick drift (I actually just replaced another one). I just switched back and forth between legacy twice and I'm not getting it.

I'm having this same issue as well on 360. The camera constantly drifts to the left. At first I thought it was my controller, so I switched to a different one. Same problem. Then I was pissy because I didn't want to spend $$ on a new controller. Played some ME3 multi last night and no drift whatsoever. So I really think it's something in BL2.

ironcreed

Banned
Went ahead and got this on PSN this morning to put me over the "spend $100.00 and get $20.00 back" mark that Sony is doing for October. Here is to hoping that my instinct is correct and I enjoy it more than the first one. It certainly looks much more alive and engaging to me, whereas the first one fell kind of flat. I'll try it out later on.

Csokis

LOL! :Đ

+3 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Skill

borderlands2_2012_10_7vfud.jpg

JambiBum

THanks for the help guys. Unfortunately, I"ve tried all those thing. Opting out, opting in. deleting blob files. Everything.

EDIT: other steam games work fine. The only "completing installation" dialog I've ever got was in BL2. Before it would just shoot up to 100%. Now it hangs at 1% and then tells me Steam servers are too busy. I've tried during off peak ours, changing servers. The works. All other Steam games work fine. Now I haven't tried all 400 games, but the half dozen I have tried worked just fine

I had the same thing happen to civ 5. I tried everything I could find and then eventually I just uninstalled steam and that fixed it. Unfortunately I had to install all of my games again but it fixed the problem.

Cat Party

I've got 4 golden keys now and I'm really tempted to cash in at least 1 with my level 17 siren. Crazy? :p

Enjoying the game though it kind of sucks that the skill progression is so slow. Waiting for that magical level 26 to max out a tree.

Do it. There's no sense in waiting forever to use them. Save a few for later in the game, but you may as well use one now.

Zeth

From main menu go to Extras > Shift Code.

Fill the thing out and they'll give you a gold key. The developers also have been posting codes for keys on their twitter, so check back here often to know when a code will be posted.

Thanks. Do they give you a blue/purple/orange?

A nice combination of wtf and doh! here.

In other news I'm starting to feel like I'm being punished for playing solo. I've seen exactly one legendary weapon(grenade mod from the warrior)drop in ~200 hours of play. Looking forward to a mod/patch that addresses the legendary drop rate. I've used the player number tool to bump it up to four and have not noticed it making a significant difference in anything other than cash drops.

Bad luck is bad, bro.

I got 4 or 5 just last night. 2 pistols, 1 SMG and 2 class mods.

Only thing I'm missing from
Bunk3r
now is Zero's head and I guess a madhouse since apparently it drops that.

I'm looking for a Bitch and got a Madhouse drop the day before yesterday from Warrior. If you like, I can dupe mine and you can dupe yours and we save ourselves a little time.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ajreynol

hit me up if interested.

Gartooth

Man I have terrible luck with the slots. Started last night at Moxxi's with 1.5 million, and kept playing by spending what I have and cashing in any crap that I won. Ended up not getting an orange, let alone a purple. (I have dedicated my life to this game for the past two weeks and have never gotten 3 Marcus's)

Also played a ton last night and the only orange I got was the Foxtrot shield that is dropped by a chubby Varkid.

mauaus

what happens when i finish the game for the first time exactly? Can i continue to roam and do sidequests or is it preferable to not do the final mission and finish the sidequests?

Man I have terrible luck with the slots. Started last night at Moxxi's with 1.5 million, and kept playing by spending what I have and cashing in any crap that I won. Ended up not getting an orange, let alone a purple. (I have dedicated my life to this game for the past two weeks and have never gotten 3 Marcus's)

you may have missed my post on slot chances.

you have roughly a 1/5000 chance to get an orange from slots. Your time is infinitely better spent farming bosses for the specific items you want. Infinitely. and consider how much time it must have taken you to drop 1.5 million+ on that slot machine. at least 30 minutes, right? Go farm yourself The Bee and go do 2-minute Warrior runs.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks they're being punished for soloing the game. In addition to the retarded spawn rate/enemy scaling (I had a fight that was nothing but multiple waves of Badass-level enemies) I have had a grand total of 1 orange weapon drop (the before mentioned Corporate Bitch).

Honestly, I think they balanced the game exclusively for co-op play; solo-folks be damned.

And before you say I should just play co-op
I tried, but after playing with nothing but immature loot-vacuums I decided I wanted to have fun instead.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks they're being punished for soloing the game. In addition to the retarded spawn rate/enemy scaling (I had a fight that was nothing but multiple waves of Badass-level enemies) I have had a grand total of 1 orange weapon drop (the before mentioned Corporate Bitch).

Honestly, I think they balanced the game exclusively for co-op play; solo-folks be damned.

I tried, but after playing with nothing but immature loot-vacuums I decided I wanted to have fun instead.

I'm just not seeing it. I played solo the entire game up to and through level 50. I died a few times, but never found it to be unfair or unreasonable. Odd thing though, every time I've joined a friend to help, they always seem to be in a HUGE fucking rush to get through missions. Maybe some of you are just pushing in too hard, too fast and getting fucked up? I take it slow, careful not to cause too many enemies to spawn and taking those that do spawn out as quickly as possible (usually with SR headshots). I'm playing Siren so I always have access to exceptional crowd control, but I'm pretty sure I'd be fine even without it.

TLDR: If you're getting rocked, try taking baby steps through missions and use cover more. The missions may take a little longer, but I think that was the design goal in the first place. To earn every kill.

Oh and if you're playing with friends and you guys can't either (a) agree on who should get an item or (b) go in with the understanding that all decent pickups will be duped so that the other player doesn't get gipped...you're doing it wrong or the guy isn't really your friend. lol.

Soon.

Do we know what her special ability is yet? I'm guessing it's that robot thing.

yea, clearly has something to do with Loaders. Since she has one as a pet like that, I assume part of her skill tree will enable her to take control of enemy Loaders. I'm sure she'll be cool.

if you have a class mod that adds elemental chance/dmg does that work on all guns or just add to ones that already have that same type of element?

if you have a class mod that adds elemental chance/dmg does that work on all guns or just add to ones that already have that same type of element?

just guns of that element.

in other words, a fire damage mod won't add fire damage to your corrosive gun. it will add additional damage to your fire guns, however.

You're wrong. I'm level 45 Zer0 (who almost everyone agrees is the weakest, especially for solo play), and I've done 95% of it solo. I've found 6 Legendaries, all but 2 of them sucked.

I haven't had any trouble. TVHM is difficult, but dying isn't a big deal at all, money is the only thing you lose and money is almost entirely worthless.

Recarpo

what happens when i finish the game for the first time exactly? Can i continue to roam and do sidequests or is it preferable to not do the final mission and finish the sidequests?

Yes you can keep doing side quests after you finish the main storyline.

Soon.

It's probably a mix between bloodwing and a turret. Close combat/long distance attacks from a robot. Looks like it can move like bloodwing, but I would expect it to be slower or maybe even just follow and stay close to you. Though it could just be a robo bloodwing.

So after beating the game on TVHM mode, I started an open game for Terra. 3 people quickly joined, we killed the boss, one of the guys died near the end. As I'm going to rez the guy before he dies and is forced to run back I see the other two guys hogging all the loot. I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but Gearbox, you do so many things right and then conversely do some many things so f*cking backwards that it makes me question the intelligence of people working there. Is it really that hard to incorporate a dice roll on all loot above a certain level? When the answer becomes, "Only play with people you know and trust", you've failed at making an online game. When the answer is, "Learn how to cheese the raid-boss fight in single player so you dont get screwed out of loot.", you've failed at making an online game. It's disheartening to see Gearbox fail at the simplest of things. My other big complaint being the best loot on the final boss consistently landing underneath the boss, thus becoming unretrievable. A loot game where you can't get the best loot. Mind-boggling.

I'm guessing it serves as the role of a bulletsponge/attentionwhore.

As soon as the level cap gets increased, Zer0 is gonna become the most OP class in the game

Death Blossom with Many Must Fall, and add a Love Thumper into the mix... I'm sweating. The numbers will be glorious

Hope they don't take too long with that

eek5

So after beating the game on TVHM mode, I started an open game for Terra. 3 people quickly joined, we killed the boss, one of the guys died near the end. As I'm going to rez the guy before he dies and is forced to run back I see the other two guys hogging all the loot. I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but Gearbox, you do so many things right and then conversely do some many things so f*cking backwards that it makes me question the intelligence of people working there. Is it really that hard to incorporate a dice roll on all loot above a certain level? When the answer becomes, "Only play with people you know and trust", you've failed at making an online game. When the answer is, "Learn how to cheese the raid-boss fight in single player so you dont get screwed out of loot.", you've failed at making an online game. It's disheartening to see Gearbox fail at the simplest of things. My other big complaint being the best loot on the final boss consistently landing underneath the boss, thus becoming unretrievable. A loot game where you can't get the best loot. Mind-boggling.

You're missing one solution to playing with loot whores; just be a dick yourself and grab all the loot and leave. LOL!

Gartooth

you have roughly a 1/5000 chance to get an orange from slots. Your time is infinitely better spent farming bosses for the specific items you want. Infinitely. and consider how much time it must have taken you to drop 1.5 million+ on that slot machine. at least 30 minutes, right? Go farm yourself The Bee and go do 2-minute Warrior runs.

Pretty much what I have been doing, got The Bee a while back and I have been doing a ton of runs on the final boss in order to get the Conference Call. Had no luck getting a single orange the entire time though, so I decided to take a break from it.

Ark

It's probably a mix between bloodwing and a turret. Close combat/long distance attacks from a robot. Looks like it can move like bloodwing, but I would expect it to be slower or maybe even just follow and stay close to you. Though it could just be a robo bloodwing.

I'm guessing it serves as the role of a bulletsponge/attentionwhore.

Hmm I never really cared for Bloodwing in the first game so I'm hoping it's at least more than just a bulletsponge/Bloodwing :(

You're missing one solution to playing with loot whores; just be a dick yourself and grab all the loot and leave. LOL!

If the answer is "Become a complete asshole yourself and grab everything before everyone else does.", you've failed at making an online game.

Hmm I never really cared for Bloodwing in the first game so I'm hoping it's at least more than just a bulletsponge/Bloodwing :(

We differ there. I loved the combo of Mordechai/Bloodwing. Especially if you put points into Bloodwing. He was devastating.

eek5

They should let you bet different amounts to get better odds. I have like 17 million dollars. I sat down and tried to even spin off a million and it took forever. No way I'd sit there and pull the lever for 17 mil

They should let you bet different amounts to get better odds. I have like 17 million dollars. I sat down and tried to even spin off a million and it took forever. No way I'd sit there and pull the lever for 17 mil
Nah, they want you to spend all that time. lol

If it were just a matter of money, people would just trade each other millions and getting oranges becomes a trivial affair. They want the acquisition of them to be difficult, but easier farming than pulling slots.

I ran some quick probability numbers on it, and if you pull ~3800 times on the slots, you have roughly a 50% chance of getting an orange. Sounds like it's a lot more efficient to do some farming instead.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
THanks for the help guys. Unfortunately, I"ve tried all those thing. Opting out, opting in. deleting blob files. Everything.

EDIT: other steam games work fine. The only "completing installation" dialog I've ever got was in BL2. Before it would just shoot up to 100%. Now it hangs at 1% and then tells me Steam servers are too busy. I've tried during off peak ours, changing servers. The works. All other Steam games work fine. Now I haven't tried all 400 games, but the half dozen I have tried worked just fine

If you want help then ask man. I offered but since you must have missed it I will post my solution

-DL Steam from the site and do a repair install. Obviously have Steam closed/exited during this process. If it halts, ctr-alt-del the process after a few minutes. It basically finished installing but for some reason just hung without letting me confirm it.

-Verify the cache of BL2

-This is the most important step so pay attention

Go to the Borderlands 2 installation folder (mines in C:\Program files\Steam\Steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\)

Run these installer/exe files

...\Steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Redist\DXRedistCutdown\DXSETUP.exe
...\Steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Redist\vcredist_2005_x86.exe
...\Steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Redist\vcredist_2005_atl_x86.exe
...\Steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Redist\vcredist_x86.exe.exe
...\Steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Redist\dotNetFx40_Client_x86_x64.exe

-Reboot your PC and run the game again

eek5

Nah, they want you to spend all that time. lol

If it were just a matter of money, people would just trade each other millions and getting oranges becomes a trivial affair. They want the acquisition of them to be difficult, but easier farming than pulling slots.

I still have to farm the money. I'm not saying I want a 17 million dollar pull that gives me 100% chance at an orange or anything, nor am I saying a more expensive pull should even give "fair" odds, just a better one than the default.

Speaking of Legendaries, has anyone found one in a chest? They seem to have been relegated to boss drops and quest rewards (including the blues/purples with flavour text). Lockers never have anything of value in them either

This game is noticeably less random than it's predecessor so far

steadfast

If I toss a gun to the ground in sanctuary, will it be there forever, or will it disappear when I save and quit? Never tried that.

Relatively certain it's not persistent; there would be no need for a bank at that point

Speaking of Legendaries, has anyone found one in a chest? They seem to have been relegated to boss drops and quest rewards (including the blues/purples with flavour text). Lockers never have anything of value in them either

Someone in this thread, I think, found a legendary shield in one of Scooter's Garage lockers.

Gravijah

i've found purple weapons in lockers, at least.

gblues

Banned
Went ahead and got this on PSN this morning to put me over the "spend $100.00 and get $20.00 back" mark that Sony is doing for October. Here is to hoping that my instinct is correct and I enjoy it more than the first one. It certainly looks much more alive and engaging to me, whereas the first one fell kind of flat. I'll try it out later on.

I had some of the same issues with the original Borderlands (too few mob types, samey-looking envionments) and I am absolutely gobsmacked with Borderlands 2. Literally everything deficient with the first one is remedied in this game.

Not enough mob types? Now we've got dozens.
Drab environments? Now we've got all sorts of different environments and unique terrain
Not enough variety of guns? Now we've got lots of guns with tangibly different firing characteristics
Weak story? Now we've got an entertaining (fairly predictable, but still entertaining) story for the main quest and side quests.
Horrible UI? Now we've got a great AI that's easy to navigate.
Jaggies? Now we've got built-in FXAA, and mods can put in SMAA or forced-downsampling to make it even better. No more purple boxes when forcing AA through drivers.

I can't think of any aspect of BL2 that isn't an improvement from BL1.

Lima

This game has an entertaining story? I must have missed that because of the stupid way they tell it.

I don't care what you are talking about when I'm just checking out the new loot that boss dropped.

I just used all my keys, will they drop some more tonight?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I had some of the same issues with the original Borderlands (too few mob types, samey-looking envionments) and I am absolutely gobsmacked with Borderlands 2. Literally everything deficient with the first one is remedied in this game.

Not enough mob types? Now we've got dozens.
Drab environments? Now we've got all sorts of different environments and unique terrain
Not enough variety of guns? Now we've got lots of guns with tangibly different firing characteristics
Weak story? Now we've got an entertaining (fairly predictable, but still entertaining) story for the main quest and side quests.
Horrible UI? Now we've got a great AI that's easy to navigate.
Jaggies? Now we've got built-in FXAA, and mods can put in SMAA or forced-downsampling to make it even better. No more purple boxes when forcing AA through drivers.

I can't think of any aspect of BL2 that isn't an improvement from BL1.
Gotta second all of this. Borderlands 1 has very much been rendered obsolete (I miss my damn bird, though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom