• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroCoin

Alright fellow Zero players...I'm really trying to figure out how I want to build my Zero. I'm really enjoying the melee aspect so bloodshed is the main line I want to work with. I'm currently 26 and have maxxed out my points in Killing Blow, Iron Hand, Follow Through, Backstab and Execute. My problem is I'm not sure where to go next to get to Many Must Fall.

Like the Wind doesn't seem like it helps enough even though it will almost always be active for me. I was investing points early on in Grim, but I quickly dropped it and can barely notice a difference. I don't use my guns enough for Be Like Water to be useful. I'm taking a beating right now in the story missions, so I'm very tempted to drop some points into Resurgence. Is Resurgence good enough that I would want to invest some serious points into it even beyond hitting Many Must Fall? Or should I invest a single point in the remaining skills for class mod bonuses?

As for the cunning line, I'll be taking Counterstrike and Ambush first, followed by Deathmark. But is Unforseen worth investing 5 points in?

I'm sure I'll be changing the build as I see what works in my playstyle once I get to that point, but for now I'm very curious to see what others have experienced and recommend.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
First in-game screenshot of Gaige.

oJLTb.jpg

Chris R

Thought my Xbox was dying when I finally noticed the UI ghosting last night, but nope, it looks like everyone has that... Wish I could turn it off though because now it is driving me insane :(

steadfast

I've decided I want Gaige to Tiny Tina's sister and eventually have an explosive-focused class, pure goofy, in the style of Tina.

Am I going to have to pay for that?

Because I don't have the season pass.

It's part of Premiere Club, so if you preordered, you're fine. It's $10 if you're not part of premiere club.

Jesus fucking christ.

Who the hell is the ONE backwards ass person in the world that still enjoys timed missions, so we can kill him, and developers will stop putting them in games.

Ramirez

The ones I was missing at the end that are very hard to spot on the map was a campsite which you have to jump down to from the buzzard's nest, and a zone under the location where you fight Flynt.

Flynt is the guy that calls you slab right? Are you talking about the little tower island near him, or is there an actual place underneath the area you fight him in?

The last spots I needed for World Traveler were in Southern Shelf - Bay, which has to be walked to from Southern Shelf. Try going there.

Got that one already, thanks though.

It's extremely silly to me that there's not a checklist in the challenge menu, this is going to be almost impossible to figure out. :|

Jeff-DSA

Looks like a got a bug on the mission Mighty Morphin'. It's the one where you need to inject the bug's larva sacks when they are mutating. A mutated version is supposed to emerge, but it didn't, and now I can't inject any more.

Sucks, because I was bent on 100% completing the game, and now I can't.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Speaking of Legendaries, has anyone found one in a chest? They seem to have been relegated to boss drops and quest rewards (including the blues/purples with flavour text). Lockers never have anything of value in them either

This game is noticeably less random than it's predecessor so far
I found an orange just lying in a dumpster early in the game. That seems pretty random.

Jonm1010

Banned
Jesus fucking christ.

Who the hell is the ONE backwards ass person in the world that still enjoys timed missions, so we can kill him, and developers will stop putting them in games.
Yep, I've avoided every single side mission that has a timer aspect to it.

Such a stupid and frustrating game mechanic if not executed absolutely perfectly, and this certainly doesn't qualify.

Xanathus

Flynt is the guy that calls you slab right? Are you talking about the little tower island near him, or is there an actual place underneath the area you fight him in?

Got that one already, thanks though.

It's extremely silly to me that there's not a checklist in the challenge menu, this is going to be almost impossible to figure out. :|
CAPTAIN Flynt is the fire guy you fight before getting Claptrap's boat. There's this large easily missable zone on the west side of the map before you go to Boomboom.

I can't get the World Traveler or whatever achievement to pop. I've loaded up every single map, and I do not have a single spot that is fogged out, no clue what I'm missing. I also lack one thing for the level 1 achievements, finding that Jenkins guy, which seems to be complete random luck from what I've read. Ugh

Did you get the underground cave in Eridium Blight that's not too far from the Catch-a-Ride and Bounty Board? The one where you have to get past the electric fence? That was the last one I needed for the achievement and it seems easy to overlook.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Looks like a got a bug on the mission Mighty Morphin'. It's the one where you need to inject the bug's larva sacks when they are mutating. A mutated version is supposed to emerge, but it didn't, and now I can't inject any more.

What system are you on? If you were on PC I could try and help you with the mission.

I still have to farm the money. I'm not saying I want a 17 million dollar pull that gives me 100% chance at an orange or anything, nor am I saying a more expensive pull should even give "fair" odds, just a better one than the default.

would be something to farm up 20 million (3 weeks of farm?) and have the option to let it all ride on one turn of chance in a 50/50 game.

I'm stuck in the find your friends mission. I made it till the badass dragons in a co-op session. But now I'm playing it solo and die easy.

all the timing missions have a slightly specific way to do them. When done correctly they are easy as pie. I still kind of like them but more in the way of Dead Risings execution where the whole game is timed.

This is a very long game. And I'm loving every bit of it.

Got my Nurse Siren up to 24 last night and am loving how different it is playing a healer with some crowd control.

I'm running a team health regen mod (Nurse), a cooldown relic, all elemental weapons (Mostly Maliwan/Torgue), adaptive elemental shields and some longbow, homing transfusion grenades, so in combat I'm:

* Checking everybody's positioning and health, to be ready to instantly revive any fallen team mates from a distance.

* If one or more teammates is very low on health I can yell out 'Transfusing now' and toss a transfusion grenade, or phaselock en enemy with a good amount of health so that everybody gets a trickle of health from phaselock's health regen, OR phaselock an enemy close to death so that if they die while phaselocked we all get a burst of health.

And considering some of the scenarios we walked into last night all of these abilities got full use. Especially when running with TWO zerkers.

Chris R

So speaking of special cooldowns, does the timer until I can use the special again only START when the special finishes or does it start right away? Basically trying to decide if I want the talent that extends the time your turret is out (would only take it if I could use it to try to get my turret down time to almost nothing, if the timer only starts when the turret expires or I pick it up I'll just pass on it :| )

Cat Party

So speaking of special cooldowns, does the timer until I can use the special again only START when the special finishes or does it start right away? Basically trying to decide if I want the talent that extends the time your turret is out (would only take it if I could use it to try to get my turret down time to almost nothing, if the timer only starts when the turret expires or I pick it up I'll just pass on it :| )

Cooldown doesn't start until the special ability expires. With the turret, you can always reclaim it to jump start the cool down.

You'll want skills and relics that reduce cooldowns, not the one you're talking about.

I'd still recommend maxing that skill out anyway though, as it not only makes your turret more effective by keeping it on the field for longer, but it also adds to the number of shots it fires. Throw in one of the "Sentry" class mods that can buff that skill while reducing your cooldown timer and you'll be a beast.

I'm running a Sentry Engineer mod right now which puts my base turret skill at 8 as well as buffing some other skills, have an ability cooldown relic slotted, and maxed out the skill on the right-side tree that regens health when your shields are full. I'm nigh unstoppable so far.

Turret is still the best ability in the game by a mile imho. It has so many uses.

Astery

When Borderlands 3 come out, I hope they have an option for instance loots or a better looting method. People being a looting whore at first sight of a green box, often cause cutting dialogues being played, then say there is no story in the game just make me mad. That or they are not paying any attention, too busy looting stuff as fast as they can.

Better controls and graphics

if you have modern PC hardware.

When Borderlands 3 come out, I hope they have an option for instance loots or a better looting method. People being a looting whore at first sight of a green box, often cause cutting dialogues being played, then say there is no story in the game just make me mad. That or they are not paying any attention, too busy looting stuff as fast as they can.

if loot whoring is a problem, play with better friends who can agree to split up/dupe loot after you're done.

equil

Quit to the menu and reload?

eek5

would be something to farm up 20 million (3 weeks of farm?) and have the option to let it all ride on one turn of chance in a 50/50 game.

I'm not sure how they could work it out. Hell, maybe even more types of games to gamble on would work but right now there is no real money sink and no eridium sink. The only "money sink" other than dying is slots which is also a time sink and as many of you have pointed out, you can sink your time into other types of farming and get much better chances at orange loot. The end result is that after you get a bee and a high pellet/particle gun you stop picking up or even checking anything other than oranges and maybe purples but you certainly don't pick up purples to sell because money is worthless. You don't pick up eridium because you've unlocked all SDU upgrades and the only "sink" is to enter terra (which you can enter and keep farming without spending eridium again). It is pretty much non-stop chest runs after you beat PT2 except the chest is a boss that you kill in 3 seconds. IDK but that isn't that fun to me.

if loot whoring is a problem, play with better friends who can agree to split up/dupe loot after you're done.
Our group just lets every player call dibbs on a weapon type or manufacturer. For my siren its Maliwan, for our ninja its sniper rifles, and our zerkers go for rockets and shotguns respectively. You can just grab whatever you've called dibbs on and move on.

After our battles are done and bosses are slain, we usually further divvy stuff up when we get to Sanctuary.

Edit: And yes, timed missions are stupid. We just skip them.

So here, in Gearbox's own words, are why they went with the braindead stupid multiplayer every-man-for-himself loot system:

"We also believe that the sort of potentially antagonistic experiences with the loot are actually very in line with the world and vibe and feel of Borderlands. Which is about the edge of the universe. Anarchy reigns. Everyone's out for themselves as far as the characters in the game. That part of the loot system brings a little bit of that feel to the players. If you're in [public] games it's gonna' be every man for himself, which is exactly what Pandora is."

/middlefingertoGearbox

DTKT

So here, in Gearbox's own words, are why they went with the braindead stupid multiplayer every-man-for-himself loot system:

/middlefingertoGearbox

That's such a bullshit excuse. It's was just too hard to introduce instanced loot so they didn't bother. I wish they would just say that instead of a "oh we thought it made more sense even if it makes none and just creates useless tension between players".

i'm ok with the system as it is...if you don't wanna fight for your loot all you have to do is select carefully who you are playing with

Yeah, because that's a system that's really going to encourage drop-in drop out coop.

Majukun

/middlefingertoGearbox

i'm ok with the system as it is...if you don't wanna fight for your loot all you have to do is select carefully who you are playing with

That's such a bullshit excuse. It's was just too hard to introduce instanced loot so they didn't bother. I wish they would just say that instead of a "oh we thought it made more sense even if it makes none and just creates useless tension between players".

And as evidenced by Mordechai, Roland, Brick, and Lilith working together, the idea of them being at odds and wanting to **** each other over doesn't make sense. They also claim that the original Diablo games made a huge mistake when they introduced instanced loot. As long as their designers harbor these lame notions, we're going to continue to have this shitty loot system.

Or come up with a loot system that doesn't reward assholes.

nel e nel

Edit: And yes, timed missions are stupid. We just skip them.

With 4 people you should be doing the timed missions in like 30 seconds.

Have one person wait at the start, and send everyone else out to each delivery location. When the person at the starting location initiates the timer, everyone else can immediately do their delivery at the same time. Then the person back at the starting location just hangs around and turns it in when it's all done.

Did the Arms Dealer by myself using two Runners and the teleport to vehicle mechanic, and completed it with over 1:00min left on the timer.

With 4 people you should be doing the timed missions in like 30 seconds.

Have one person wait at the start, and send everyone else out to each delivery location. When the person at the starting location initiates the timer, everyone else can immediately do their delivery at the same time. Then the person back at the starting location just hangs around and turns it in when it's all done.

Did the Arms Dealer by myself using two Runners and the teleport to vehicle mechanic, and completed it with over 1:00min left on the timer.
Oh I'm sure we could complete them, and there are all kinds of tricks you can pull to succeed. They just aren't fun.

Fun for us is an epic continuous running gun battle. With a team in rhythm everybody knows their role and watches over everybody else, and just keeps the intensity up. Once the battles are done we scour the area like loot whoring scrubbing bubbles, platforming everywhere we can. We do some trades, spends some badass points, sell some stuff, re-equip and do it all again. Love it.

And holy shit does ammo regen change the nature of this game. We only scour ammo boxes for rockets, grenades and Eridium. Its a must have mod for any zerker out there, especially in co-op.

Timed missions do suck, but you can cheat some of them in BL2 by using the Catch-a-Ride's ability to transport you to a vehicle that's already been spawned. Park the ride near the area you need to do the timed mission in, then warp there right after starting the timer.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Re: instanced loot.

I never have and never will play with strangers, so I don't care.

It's still annoying even when playing with friends or gaffers. If say a legendary drops then how the hell do you decide who gets it? Especially if everyone needs it. At least with instanced loot you can just keep what you need then whatever you dont need you can just share if you so choose.

It's still annoying even when playing with friends or gaffers. If say a legendary drops then how the hell do you decide who gets it? Especially if everyone needs it. At least with instanced loot you can just keep what you need then whatever you dont need you can just share if you so choose.

duplicate it.

Or come up with a loot system that doesn't reward assholes.

or duplicate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom