• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or come up with a loot system that doesn't reward assholes.

this isn't diablo 3, gearbox is absolutely on the mark, the tension of what happens when loot drops is a huge part of the co-op experience, you take that away, and you might as well be playing with npc's, you're supposed to take the good with the bad when it coms to co-op games of this nature, diablo 3 has made you soft.

this isn't diablo 3, gearbox is absolutely on the mark, the tension of what happens when loot drops is a huge part of the co-op experience, you take that away, and you might as well be playing with npc's, you're supposed to take the good with the bad when it coms to co-op games of this nature, diablo 3 has made you soft.

nope.avi

when I play with my friends, it's for the fun and the challenge that comes with enemies scaled to 4 players. the prizes? we'll sort that out after. pissing friends off by snatching weapons when everyone earned some is fucking bullshit and a good way to ensure "friends" never want to play with you again. The team sniper and/or healer gets fucked over every time because he'll always be farthest away from the loot. Fuck that noise. So you enjoy your approach...just don't expect to be invited to my games. :D

Game ain't no fun if the homies can't have none. Maybe that's a cultural thing, idk.

Why take the bad when you can just solo instead and use player sliders for farming? If anything it just stops people from playing with randoms.

it can stop people from playing with *anyone*, which can't have been Gearbox's intention. It actively discourages it, tbh. I mean, unless everyone has the items they want such that rushing an item is purely extra.

all I'm saying is, if I'm farming Vemorious or whatever his name is and a Norfleet droped and someone snatched it? hell naw.

Why take the bad when you can just solo instead and use player sliders for farming? If anything it just stops people from playing with randoms.

Gravijah

except it completely changes the way people play, and people will constantly be rushing towards loot instead of actually looking to play co-operatively with eachother. there's no tension, there's people looking to take anything good without sharing.

they could have at least made it an option when you start your game.

abundant

I found a class mod for Maya that does +40% SMG Damage and +4 Wreck and now I'm starting to become powerful again (lvl 46). I also found a good Shock SMG. Rabid Stalkers go down real quickly when I use that + Wreck + Ruin.

Jas

except it completely changes the way people play, and people will constantly be rushing towards loot instead of actually looking to play co-operatively with eachother. there's no tension, there's people looking to take anything good without sharing.

This! I've played with a bunch of randoms in TVHM and lost count on how many people will just ignore enemies and go straight to the chest.

The worse thing I've seen so far was going against the Bunker for the first time...

When the Bunker had a sliver of life left the host kicked everyone to get the loot drop :(

Stackboy

In the last 30 minutes that I played last night, I obtained teleporting grenades that set things on fire and regen health, then I found a highly inaccurate pistol that seems to shoot explosions.

MrDaravon

This! I've played with a bunch of randoms in TVHM and lost count on how many people will just ignore enemies and go straight to the chest.

The worse thing I've seen so far was going against the Bunker for the first time...

When the Bunker had a sliver of life left the host kicked everyone to get the loot drop :(

This is why I will never, ever play Borderlands with randoms.

It's baffling why they don't have some sort of option for loot drops being shared, or everyone see different loot, or something along those lines. I still love the game, but if I could play it with randoms like almost every other loot game I've played it'd be even better.

Haint

Free for all shared loot simply doesn't cut it in the year 2012. Period. End of story. I can get that some people like the bum rush chaos, which is fine, but it should be left as an option, not the only choice. We overlooked it 10-15 years ago cause everyone was used to masochistic design decisions that growing up in Arcades desensitized us to. Not anymore. It's completely unbalanced for different play styles/classes and simply wastes everyone's time.

Free for all shared loot simply doesn't cut it in the year 2012. Period. End of story. I can get that some people like the bum rush chaos, which is fine, but it should be left as an option, not the only choice. We overlooked it 10-15 years ago cause everyone was used to masochistic design decisions that growing up in Arcades desensitized us to. Not anymore. It's completely unbalanced for different play styles/classes and simply wastes everyone's time.
+1

Just about everyone is on the same page about this, with the exception of maybe two people here.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Assholes stealing loot is good? A feature? Are you insane?

Not having solo/aka a modern loot system means I only play solo since I have no friends who play it and don't want to be on a mic with randoms/gaffers.

BigDug13

so after farming the warrior until level 38 siren, i hopped into PT2 and now i'm level 40 and am getting my ass handed to me, i'm dieing every few minutes, and i completelty breezed through the first play through the contrast is insane, the badass enemies just seem to tank so much damage even when i'm a level or 2 higher, i feel lame now, after previously feeling like an overpowered badass, so much money down the pan :p i've been going catyclism/motion hybrid thinking of respecting to harmony in hope of surviving a little longer.

Go full Thoughtlock build with secondary in Harmony to get Sweet Release, Wreck, and Sustenance. Try to find a relic with 20+% cooldown bonus and a class mod with near 20% team recharge. You simply won't have people shooting at you at all, and by the time they start shooting at you, you will be ready to Thoughtlock someone again.

Kill your "pet" over and over while sub-sequence chooses new ones. Wreck will allow you to fill them with bullets while sweet release/sustenance will keep you topped off.

Soloing with the cookie cutter ruin/converge build might not be for you as it provides little in defense for yourself. And don't go full Harmony...BORING. thoughtlock plus harmony is an incredibly powerful enchanter build for solo.

changes the way people play from what, BL1 to BL2 or to Diablo3 to BL1, if it becomes an "option" Gearbox pretty much folder under the pressure of people who want a whitewashed version of a multiplayer experience, instanced loot is an ugly deplorable thing in a game where loot is so important, taking the tension out of selection, the shared experience of seeing the same loot drop and divvying it up..i'd rather only the host gets any loot, and can give what he wants to other players through trade, than the ludicrous idea of instanced loot.

Assholes stealing loot is good? A feature? Are you insane?

Not having solo/aka a modern loot system means I only play solo since I have no friends who play it and don't want to be on a mic with randoms/gaffers.

why are you playing with A-holes? your post sounds like one long personal problem really.

Gravijah

changes the way people play from what, BL1 to BL2 or to Diablo3 to BL1, if it becomes an "option" Gearbox pretty much folder under the pressure of people who want a whitewashed version of a multiplayer experience, instanced loot is an ugly deplorable thing in a game where loot is so important, taking the tension out of selection, the shared experience of seeing the same loot drop and divvying it up..i'd rather only the host gets any loot, and can give what he wants to other players through trade, than the ludicrous idea of instanced loot.

i put thousands of hours into Diablo II. thousands. all that loot system does is give items to the quickest person, the person who isn't actually helping kill. that's why i spent hundreds if not thousands of hours magic finding alone.

mind you, it doesn't have an effect on me in BL2 because i'd never touch pub games, but i know others would like to, so i don't see why it couldn't be an option. loot being so important in a game like this is why people get screwed, as assholes will take any item worth a damn.

Vodh

why are you playing with A-holes? your post sounds like one long personal problem really.

Ever heard about playing with randoms? "Just play with trusted friends only" is almost as poor an excuse for an outdated mechanic as "the world is rough, if you really were on Pandora then you would definitely fight for the best gunz with others".

You're not going to change any minds, bro.

I agree that it's fine in an *organized* setting where someone is designated to pick up stuff. Having someone join your game only for them to snatch an item you wanted and slaved over killing a super basass or something for? Fuck that noise.

We feel it hurts the game and discouraged co-op often times. That's how we feel about it.

finally found something good once I started TVHM.

30788494df8b2f736c4367995922550df3ff0ca8.jpg

Vodh

Also, about the instanced loot being awful: Here I actually kind of agree. Well, I don't think it's awful, but it does change the experience quite a lot. Simple system of rolling need/greed with the threshold of quality left for the host to set up would be great. Maybe even implement an option for need/greed/duel if they feel like fighting with others for loot is a big part of the experience, that would actually be really cool. But as it is, rushing for chests, ignoring enemies, and forcing snipers to run up to the enemy before he dies to not miss out on loot is not a feature, it's a bad, outdated design.

Guevara

Wife lost a level 20something save. Ugh. I'm not sure if we should both restart or she should just play by herself for a while.

You're not going to change any minds, bro.

I agree that it's fine in an *organized* setting where someone is designated to pick up stuff. Having someone join your game only for them to snatch an item you wanted and slaved over killing a super basass or something for? Fuck that noise.

We feel it hurts the game and discouraged co-op often times. That's how we feel about it.

fair enough, i actually don't play games online anyways, maybe when i'm uber i'll help random players out and let them keep all the loot.

The tension of getting loot isnt any different when you have a competent loot mechanism. All this does is add the tension of having to deal with assholes more concerned with being near where the loot lands than in finishing off the boss.

bob page

Also, about the instanced loot being awful: Here I actually kind of agree. Well, I don't think it's awful, but it does change the experience quite a lot. Simple system of rolling need/greed with the threshold of quality left for the host to set up would be great. Maybe even implement an option for need/greed/duel if they feel like fighting with others for loot is a big part of the experience, that would actually be really cool. But as it is, rushing for chests, ignoring enemies, and forcing snipers to run up to the enemy before he dies to not miss out on loot is not a feature, it's a bad, outdated design.
Totally agree with all of these words.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I don't really like instanced loot in these types of games. I would rather the loot mechanism be handled via a rolling system on purple level gear or higher. You should also include options with that, of course. Like the option to just give the loot to the other player.

...And it seems Vodh pretty much beat me to the punch!

I manage to deal with the loot situation with my friends but it is utterly worhtless to play this game online with randoms. There has to be an option for instanced loot. Absolutely nothing is gained by excluding it and it is a hollow excuse by Gearbox trying to justify the end through retroactive means.

Astery

I am speechless.

I'm ok with Need/ Greed with gun stat showing. Duel isn't practical as Gearbox will have to adjust characters for PVP. Unless you know, if PVP is going to be included as a focus for the game.

zulfate

This has happened to me 4 times now fighting the last boss.....this must be what gearbox wanted it totally fits pandora

Just started TVHM (at level 34 upon finishing the first playthrough)

To get the best loot it's best to just do story missions and beat it a 2nd time, then go back and do side quests, right? Leave them as "undiscovered" so the loot scales?

eek5

If you want to "keep the tension" just have a time-based FFA system where it randomly assigns purples-oranges to someone in the game and gives them a set amount of time to pick the item up or it becomes fully FFA.

Personally I would love to see instanced loot instead. It opens the door for level scaling like you see in GW2 so, for example, Guevara could play with his wife and continue to have a challenge, level up, and get level-appropriate loot even though they are 20 levels apart.

Too bad it makes this game unplayable with randoms if you don't want to be a dick

Fixed that for you. I play with randoms all the time without issue! haha >:)

Nome

Too bad it makes this game unplayable with randoms.

To get the best loot it's best to just do story missions and beat it a 2nd time, then go back and do side quests, right? Leave them as "undiscovered" so the loot scales?
No, the best way to get the good loot is to rush level 50 however you can, then hide behind invulnerable walls to solo bosses meant for 4 people.

sophora

Do story missions yes, but you can still do side missions that give you eridium or rewards you wouldn't care for it at level 50 that way you can keep your levels up as much as you can with story missions.

I manage to deal with the loot situation with my friends but it is utterly worhtless to play this game online with randoms. There has to be an option for instanced loot. Absolutely nothing is gained by excluding it and it is a hollow excuse by Gearbox trying to justify the end through retroactive means.

its not a hollow excuse, its absolutely spot on, just because other devs have created this alternate dimension where you see something different from everyone you're supposed to be sharing an experience with, doesn't mean gearbox has to follow suit to appease those spoiled by frictionless gaming.

Mileena

Banned
Ugh Get to Know Jack glitched on 5th journal and it's one of the only sidequests I have left. Anyone got it active on PSN? I'd greatly appreciate it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
OH MY GOD IM SO HAPPY I HAVE TIME TO JUMP BACK INTO THIS GAME

First time in a week I'm playing it, ready for dat crack

Vodh

fair enough, i actually don't play games online anyways, maybe when i'm uber i'll help random players out and let them keep all the loot.

its not a hollow excuse, its absolutely spot on, just because other devs have created this alternate dimension where you see something different from everyone you're supposed to be sharing an experience with, doesn't mean gearbox has to follow suit to appease those spoiled by frictionless gaming.

Yeah, you've obviously seen how bad it is and care very much for the situation. I think I speak for everyone when I want to apologize for all the feedback coming from people who already do and/or want to play the game with randoms without it being ruined by the loot system, we obviously didn't think the suggestions through.

/sarcasm tuned down a bit
Yeah, the only thing that's spot on about Gearbox's explanation is the fact that so many (if not most) people chose to play solely solo (or with friends) in favour of randoms, because playing with randoms is like asking to be raped. Just like on Real Pandora.

Tackled Terramorphous last night for the heck of it. Level 35; took a good 5 seconds for me to plummet to my death. When and how is it feasible to take this guy?

Also, I respec'd my Zero solely with the sniping tree. If you have time and space (and play a little more like a pansy), you can seriously wreck shit. Bueno!

A question about the class mods that yield + bonus points for skills, i.e. the blue highlight around the skill; is this effectively the same as adding a skill point manually? I only ask this because the description doesn't change. It still says "next level: +6% critical hit damage...", etc, which ignores the points added by the mod.

Cheers, guys.

Tackled Terramorphous last night for the heck of it. Level 35; took a good 5 seconds for me to plummet to my death. When and how is it feasible to take this guy?

Also, I respec'd my Zero solely with the sniping tree. If you have time and space (and play a little more like a pansy), you can seriously wreck shit. Bueno!

A question about the class mods that yield + bonus points for skills, i.e. the blue highlight around the skill; is this effectively the same as adding a skill point manually? I only ask this because the description doesn't change. It still says "next level: +6% critical hit damage...", etc, which ignores the points added by the mod.

Cheers, guys.
I don't think it's realistic before level 50 dogg.

Not enough damage and shields otherwise.

Fuck...those super badass loader have a LOT of HP lol.... I'm shooting non stop and I don't even get them to 50%
Corrosive sniper shots to the eye from long range ftw.

Cheers, guys.

As long as you have at least 1 point manually added to the skill the mods are the same as the points you put in yourself.

Varna

The player number mod really makes this game a lot more fun and rewarding. Quest are at my level now and I'm actually getting decent gear out on the field instead of the slot machine.

Of course I am dying A LOT more but it's worth it for me. I hear NG+ is really tough. Wonder how hard it will be with the player slider on max...

Haha, there is nothing tense about having to pedantically review rare loot drops with a group of trusted friends or play with randoms where no one plays the game or enjoys the interaction but simply blitzes for crates, exploits others cooperation and kicks them at the last second. It is just so tense watching an amazing game ruined by loot whores. There is a lot of middle ground between always instanced loot and this archaic shit. Really, they labored over a loot system several generations old to create tension that matches Pandora? Hahaha. Pandora seems to be about over the top jokes and fun to me. Not tension. I can't even do a basic thing like look at the gear my buddies are currently using. We have to describe it over voice chat, which you can imagine is super tense. BL2 is easily my GOTY and I love the shit out of it. But I am willing to admit the loot system needs to be modernized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom