• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
I highly recommend staying on Claptrap's Boat after the first area. Listen to the dialogue over the megaphone that he spews at you. It's amazing. :p

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
kinetic reflection is great when you have class mods that adds an additional 5 or 6 skill points.

at +10, bullets do no damage, and does 200% onto enemies

at +11, 110% damage reduction means it slightly heals you

Kinetic Reflection is amazing.

My only issue with the Siren is that her regen/defense/mobility/shield loss/kill skills don't compliment each other at fucking all.

I might be temped to use backdraft if it didn't suck. Or if I couldn't find shields that do it better. Also, her melee is slow and pointless with Phaselock so why should I even invest in it? Is not like Phasewalk where I'd get a massive benefit from using my action skill in tandem with my melee. These skills don't mesh. They're a jumbled mess because devs were trying a little too hard to stay close to the BL1 Siren.

MrDaravon

Kinetic Reflection is amazing.

My only issue with the Siren is that her regen/defense/mobility/shield loss/kill skills don't compliment each other at fucking all.

I might be temped to use backdraft if it didn't suck. Or if I couldn't find shields that do it better. Also, her melee is slow and pointless with Phaselock so why should I even invest in it? Is not like Phasewalk where I'd get a massive benefit from using my action skill in tandem with my melee. These skills don't mesh. They're a jumbled mess because devs were trying a little too hard to stay close to the BL1 Siren.

Yeah, her skills are all over the place, and I find myself having to take multiple skills that are garbage to get to one decent skill. Axton and Salvador's skill trees seem fine (can't speak for Zero), but her skill tree is wack, and most of her skills are not great. Normally I would disapprove of any sort of buffs or changes to skills post-release, but she desperately needs it. Even with a lot of more skill points from level cap increases, most of her stuff just honestly sucks. At the very least buff her damage from her Phaselock and other skills, or something. Goddamn.

Yeah, her skills are all over the place, and I find myself having to take multiple skills that are garbage to get to one decent skill. Axton and Salvador's skill trees seem fine (can't speak for Zero), but her skill tree is wack, and most of her skills are not great. Normally I would disapprove of any sort of buffs or changes to skills post-release, but she desperately needs it. Even with a lot of more skill points from level cap increases, most of her stuff just honestly sucks. At the very least buff her damage from her Phaselock and other skills, or something. Goddamn.

I've molested this game with Maya using her existing skills. Seems okay, though I wouldn't mind a buff.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
No, but you won't be able to turn in some of quests from then on until you finish the game
Are there unlisted side quests?

I say this because the
Hyperion contract
never showed up as undiscovered before I found it and did it, so currently because I have no undiscovered ones showing up in my quest log, I don't know if I should just jump into the story quest or start looking for others I can do right now to level my guy up even more beforehand.

I highly recommend staying on Claptrap's Boat after the first area. Listen to the dialogue over the megaphone that he spews at you. It's amazing. :p
Yeah it is. I listen to all dialog until it ends or starts to repeat. Like tuning in quest, just idling there hearing them go though the three or four lines is nice..

Are there unlisted side quests?

I say this because the
Hyperion contract
never showed up as undiscovered before I found it and did it, so currently because I have no undiscovered ones showing up in my quest log, I don't know if I should just jump into the story quest or start looking for others I can do right now to level my guy up even more beforehand.

They're quests that you could have accepted or even completed already, they'll just be unavailable for a time. They're low level anyway so its not a big deal

Mikey Jr.

The worst thing about Maya is that to get ruin in the cataclysm tree, you HAVE to invest in a lot of garbage. A lot of garbage you wish you didn't have to waste points on.

DY_nasty

I've found Maya to be amazing in solo play myself.

How far along are you? I just hit 50, but she's got some of the weirdest issues... I find myself simply running out of ammo with her at times. Her durability is a joke.

She's got skills that buff her shield - with skills that trigger only when she's in last stand or when she has no shield.

She's got an action skill that doesn't work against certain enemies - and most of her offensive skills are fully dependent on her action skill working without a hitch.

She's got close proximity / mobility related skills - but none of which take advantage of her action skill.

Her DPS is dependent on the enemy, not her skills or equipment for the most part. That's a big deal. She's all over the place. As good as she is, she's gimped.
The worst thing about Maya is that to get ruin in the cataclysm tree, you HAVE to invest in a lot of garbage. A lot of garbage you wish you didn't have to waste points on.
I just skip Blight Phoenix altogether now. Throw 4 on Flicker, 1 on Acid Cloud, and call it day...

MrDaravon

How far along are you? I just hit 50, but she's got some of the weirdest issues... I find myself simply running out of ammo with her at times. Her durability is a joke.

She's got skills that buff her shield - with skills that trigger only when she's in last stand or when she has no shield.

She's got an action skill that doesn't work against certain enemies - and most of her offensive skills are fully dependent on her action skill working without a hitch.

She's got close proximity / mobility related skills - but none of which take advantage of her action skill.

Her DPS is dependent on the enemy, not her skills or equipment for the most part. That's a big deal. She's all over the place. As good as she is, she's gimped.

I just skip Blight Phoenix altogether now. Throw 4 on Flicker, 1 on Acid Cloud, and call it day...

This.

You know, I just realized I don't think I've ever seen an elemental Assault Rifle other than Explosive.

Do they exist?

Yup. They seem fairly rare though. Possibly my biggest weapon-related bummer of this game is that finding really good and accurate AR's is basically impossible. Outside of SMG's on Lilith I would always run AR's in the first game. In this game recoil/weapon sway seems to be way more of an issue, I seriously haven't found a decent AR with really good accuracy/low sway in about 150 hours in B2 so far.

I guess these issues will come into focus on my second playthrough. I'll wait until I'm level 50 before I say with certainty I have no issues with her. Though on my first playthrough I trucked through everything.

DY_nasty

You know, I just realized I don't think I've ever seen an elemental Assault Rifle other than Explosive.

Do they exist?

Vladof has some really good elemental and slag rifles. They seem rather uncommon though.

They make the best rifles though imo.

MrDaravon

I guess these issues will come into focus on my second playthrough. I'll wait until I'm level 50 before I say with certainty I have no issues with her. Though on my first playthrough I trucked through everything.

Yeah, first playthrough I think is generally considered a cakewalk for the most part regardless of class or setup. Game doesn't get really challenging for the most part until TVHM.

This.

Yup. They seem fairly rare though. Possibly my biggest weapon-related bummer of this game is that finding really good and accurate AR's is basically impossible. Outside of SMG's on Lilith I would always run AR's in the first game. In this game recoil/weapon sway seems to be way more of an issue, I seriously haven't found a decent AR with really good accuracy/low sway in about 150 hours in B2 so far.

Yup. The Veruc is your solution. I love that gun. Burst fire when zoomed and very good accuracy.

She's pretty good in party play, but solo it's pretty rough.

I didn't start partying up with her until after I beat the game twice.

I didn't find it rough at all. Crowd control and dealing with the enemy from a distance = just fine.

such issues only come up if you're pushing in too far, too fast. don't get surrounded, take it one group of enemies at a time. I died 2 times in my second play through. both times to RPG's. if you're dying a lot as Maya, you're playing her wrong or you need to hunt for some better weapons. probably both.

I find myself simply running out of ammo with her at times. Her durability is a joke.
I don't even understand how that's possile. get better weapons.

can't agree with any of this.

but I've been shitting on the game and I suppose you haven't. idk. I'd have to join a game and watch how you play to give any constructive advice. all I can say is your experience with Maya has been the opposite of mine. I never run out of fucking ammo and don't even know how that's possible. I leverage the raw power of sniper rifles and Jachob's pistols with great precision. I rotate elemental items around to correspond to the enemy type I'm fighting. I have a shotgun at the ready in the caustic caverns, because they own the fuck out of the sandworm things. I've had no issues with any boss in this game.

idk.

DY_nasty

Yeah, Normal mode isn't really going to give you too many issues. TVHM will highlight the flaws in your build and playstyle immediately though.

Shit, my mind was blown when I realized that some classes got weapon swap speed bonuses. Do you know how big of a deal that could be for a Siren? Let me swap through my weapons and let enemies taste dat rainbow. Then I remembered all the kill skills from before... fire rate, mobility increase, regen, *daze*. But there are so many things that the other classes get to take advantage of that the Siren doesn't - especially weapon skills. And if I can't get increased weapon stability or accuracy recovery or reload speed (which I've pretty much been forced to get from badass tokens once I realized that reload speed was going to be a massive issue for Sirens worldwide) then at least up my elemental damage, resistance, elemental damage duration, give me the option to say "f u" to elemental resistances, let me melee phaselocked enemies for nuke, let me switch places with my phasevictim, or something.

Mobility doesn't go hand in hand with this action skill at all - so I don't even know why they were so adamant to stay that loyal to BL1 siren. This is a new ability that is very different from Phasewalking. It should be treated as such.

PC SHiFT Code for a Golden Key in Borderlands 2: CTCJ3-CSHRS-X3JJT-JJTTB-RSSZR [Active 11PM-2AM CT on 10/6]
Xbox 360 SHiFT Code for a Golden Key in Borderlands 2: 53WJB-R5CW6-JR6B6-5XTJT-HZFWH [Active 11PM-2AM CT on 10/6]
PlayStation 3 SHiFT Code for a Golden Key in Borderlands 2: 53WJB-R5CZ3-RS3C3-9TWJT-HZFHR [Active 11PM-2AM CT on 10/6]

I try to listen to everything Claptrap says since I'm almost guaranteed to get at least an amused chuckle out of it. That makes those moments when echos come up to drown him out pretty annoying.

HoosTrax

Helicopter arms are worse.
It's possible to hit their red eye by firing above the spinning arms.

But yeah, there are so many rage-inducing enemies in this game:

- rabid stalker constantly doing knockback/stagger with their melee hits
- repairers doing hit and run dive bombs to take your shields down
- shield nomads (even Crimson Lance Defenders had weak spots)
- badass pyre threshers which always seem to be 2 levels above you and can one or two-hit you with unavoidable tentacle swipes
- wormhole threshers when you're trying to speedrun through a level
- loaders walking into ION loader shield auras after you go down, making it impossible to get a Second Wind

DY_nasty

but I've been shitting on the game and I suppose you haven't. idk. I'd have to join a game and watch how you play to give any constructive advice. all I can say is your experience with Maya has been the opposite of mine. I never run out of fucking ammo and don't even know how that's possible. I leverage the raw power of sniper rifles and Jachob's pistols with great precision. I rotate elemental items around to correspond to the enemy type I'm fighting. I have a shotgun at the ready in the caustic caverns, because they own the fuck out of the sandworm things. I've had no issues with any boss in this game.

idk.

IF you can't phaselock an enemy with a Siren, you're boned. -edit- And its hilarious how quick you can run out of ammo. There's no point running with most snipers because it doesn't get the full benefit of foresight and you'll only get off so many shots per phaselock. She gets NO true, significant bonuses when it comes to weapons like that so every sniper rifle, and most rifles, will be essentially 'naked' if you equip them to a Siren. So you're basically stuck at medium range with shotguns and SMGs since you're trying to dump out as many painted rounds as you can as fast as you can because its your most profitable form of damage. Shooting regular bullets is pointless. All de time. At least explosive rounds can give you two good solid hits if you have chain reaction but normal bullets aren't even worth firing - and that eliminates a good portion of rifles and a lot of pistols as well. You're kinda limited when it comes to what weapons really shine in Siren's hands. -edit-

And there are plenty of enemies that can give you that issue. Solo play? Not so much. But in co-op, where there are 3 or 4 badass or superbadass enemies, definitely

Just
rescued Roland
in TVHM. I'm surprised how easily I blazed through it. The sniper tree is so fucking great in the right circumstances.

By far, the hardest enemy that I've come across in TVHM is the Badass Maniac. The incessant rushing can really fuck you up.

so guys something weird happened to me. I instantly got like 17 million credits while playing survival with a bunch of randoms yesterday. Now I'm down to 4 million as each death was costing me like 1m till I hit the 6m mark, but whatevs. Anyone have an idea what happened there?

I don't think money matters a lot in this game anyway.

Raxus

Just
rescued Roland
in TVHM. I'm surprised how easily I blazed through it. The sniper tree is so fucking great in the right circumstances.

By far, the hardest enemy that I've come across in TVHM is the Badass Maniac. The incessant rushing can really fuck you up.
LOL Rabid Stalker time. Prepare to be violated.

the Handsome Jack mask is shared across all characters, right?

Correct.

Insaniac

I've had very little problem with Maya once i got Ruin, I snipe through the parts that have a lot of bandits/engineers, and use Phaselock/shotgun/ampshield to destroy loaders and creatures.

edit: the key with maya is to control the battlefield to your advantage. I use converge plus a class mod that boosts fire damage and +5 helios to group enemies up to deal max damage with Ruin. Combine it with a Slag / Corrosive singularity grenades, i rarely have problems.

Use a sniper to clear out pesky smaller guys like bandits or enginners who take cover(things easy to headshot and don't move much). this helps conserve ammo a lot.

FStop7

Banned
New Shift keys are up.

PlayStation 3 SHiFT Code for a Golden Key in Borderlands 2: 53WJB-R5CZ3-RS3C3-9TWJT-HZFHR [Active 11PM-2AM CT on 10/6]

Xbox 360 SHiFT Code for a Golden Key in Borderlands 2: 53WJB-R5CW6-JR6B6-5XTJT-HZFWH [Active 11PM-2AM CT on 10/6]

PC SHiFT Code for a Golden Key in Borderlands 2: CTCJ3-CSHRS-X3JJT-JJTTB-RSSZR [Active 11PM-2AM CT on 10/6]

Damn I must have the worst luck ever. Just finished the game at level 35 with two other people and I'm not joking, all the drops I got from the boss was mostly whites and some greens and everything I had was already better. I just wanted a decent class mod :(

DY_nasty

I've had very little problem with Maya once i got Ruin, I snipe through the parts that have a lot of bandits/engineers, and use Phaselock/shotgun/ampshield to destroy loaders and creatures.

I don't understand why anyone would snipe with her. She gets almost no benefit from doing so other than getting shot at a little less and with Wreck/Reaper/Chain Reaction/Flicker you could be hosing down a whole mob as you run through a clip and a half per lock.

My Xbox Live Gold subscription ran out while I was in a game last night and the game won't let me redeem shift codes if I am not a Gold member.

What a load of crap.

Oh well, I am sure there will be plenty of keys later.

Thanks, I now have 4 golden keys.

Insaniac

I don't understand why anyone would snipe with her. She gets almost no benefit from doing so other than getting shot at a little less and with Wreck/Reaper/Chain Reaction/Flicker you could be hosing down a whole mob as you run through a clip and a half per lock.

With a +4 bonus to reaper and decent sniper (i got lucky and landed a 13,000 sniper at level 43) I deal 202,000 critical damage, which one shot crits any infantry and two shots most regular loaders. Like I said, I only snipe the easier to crit enemies like bandits and engineers who tend to stay in place, or regular gun loaders/war loaders. Everything else I use an amped shotgun in combination with my singularity grenades and phaselock which let me run up and point blank everything.

A single shot to the head even on TVHM usually spells death for basic bandits, so why not get the jump on a few before the badass bandits show up.

Also, I guess can understand where you're coming from with the ammo problem, but once you get full upgrades to ammo slots for all weapons (Which you should have barring some really, REALLY shitting luck before heading too deep into TVHM) ammo becomes no problemo'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom