• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunder

Nope, still only 2 playthroughs. Any side missions you don't do in PT2 gets scaled to 2.5.

and by don't do he means not even picking it up. Accepting a lower lvl quest will not get it to scale in PT2.5 and you'll be stuck with that lower lvl quest forever.

Wunder

What is the frequency for the oj drops on the last boss? He seems to drop like 5-6 possible ojs but I haven't seen one after a few runs, are they pretty uncommon?

Edgeward

So:

Playthrough 2. NO side quests. Only main story quests.
Playthrough 2.5. Do side quests AND main quests?

You won't be able to main quests again in 2.5

Think of it as like when finishing a game of GTA, after the credits roll you are sent back into the world with anything unfinished still available to beat.

But yes, other than that, that what you should be doing.

Wunder

So:

Playthrough 2. NO side quests. Only main story quests.
Playthrough 2.5. Do side quests AND main quests?

In my opinion it is very hard to beeline the main quest in PT2 by yourself, you need a few side missions to at least level up and the end-game is quite difficult regardless. I would suggest you do the side quests that have non-blue/purp rewards, like eridium or greens. When you see a blue/purp reward you dont accept it and note where it is, if it's a chain. PT 2.5 does not give you the main quests back, you're put back into your finished PT2 but all side quests are bumped to level 50.

Paertan

WTF, i've already done half the quest in Playthrough 2. This is pretty lame.

Drops from bosses is still the best stuff so don't worry. But yeah stop picking up quests =) Or just do the quests that gives you Iridium, money or skins since that doesn't scale.

Quests that gives you green stuff is also not that worth saving.
Any quests that gives you good Class Mods you avoid like the plauge until you hit level 50.

And don't tip Moxxie! Tip her when you hit level 50 for two awesome level 50 SMG:s.

In my opinion it is very hard to beeline the main quest in PT2 by yourself, you need a few side missions to at least level up and the end-game is quite difficult regardless. I would suggest you do the side quests that have non-blue/purp rewards, like eridium or greens. When you see a blue/purp reward you dont accept it and note where it is, if it's a chain. PT 2.5 does not give you the main quests back, you're put back into your finished PT2 but all side quests are bumped to level 50.

Not by yourself you level up damn fast in PT2. Can be hard to find people willing to skip sidequests though. Just explain why and most people go "Ah shit!!" then skip sidequests.

tatsuki

The Warrior just dropped a legendary shield after I beat it on true vault hunter mode. However, The Warrior landed on top of the shield(of course). Left the area, fast traveled back to heroes pass, ran all the way back to the vault of the warrior door. Then my game proceeds to freeze on the loading screen... smh

Gorillaz

I getting terrible drops farming with the warrior on playthrough 1

Im level 32...should I just go right into TVHM or farm a bit and THEN go on?.

Jonm1010

Banned
I'm still blown away how much more im enjoying this game over the first one.

And I feel like not a whole lot changed.

Yet with the first game I probably logged a few hours, then quit for months. Came back and logged a few hours quit again. Started a new character a couple months after that an then got bored after about 5 hours.

Now I'm contemplating a second play through after my first, which is a holy grail for me. I can literally count on one hand the games I've done that with since resident evil 4, and I don't even need all my fingers.

Paertan

I getting terrible drops farming with the warrior on playthrough 1

Im level 32...should I just go right into TVHM or farm a bit and THEN go on?.

Go for TVHM. You should get a decent weapon pretty fast. Worst case scenario you die a few times and loose money, which you will get back really fast.
TVHM is hard at first for everyone playing by themself. Try to play with other people. And explain to them why you should skip sidequests!

Paertan

seems like the whole skipping the side quests thing will be irrelevant once the first expansion pack comes out

Unless you save all quests until the last expansion comes out...
I mostly saved them to have somehing to do now that the mainquest is done. While I wait for people to join me so we can grind bosses or whatever.

Spent a couple of hours trying to farm a level 50 conference call and got nothing but junk from the Warrior. This is depressing. I keep wondering whether there was some item hidden under his body that I might have missed :(

xenist

At lvl 35 the Warrior was a bit anticlimactic. Is this a general thing? Granted I'm a bit of completionist and I may have been overleveled by doing all but two of the sidequests but it was kinda boring.

Nice ending though.

You won't be able to main quests again in 2.5

Think of it as like when finishing a game of GTA, after the credits roll you are sent back into the world with anything unfinished still available to beat.

But yes, other than that, that what you should be doing.

why should one do this?

me and my friend just started TVHM. (currently lvl 33)

I keep seeing people fight raid bosses (from side quests i think). So you guys are saying we should do this in playthrough '2.5' (finish all main quests in 2nd playthrough first)

Ok, Im very close to the end on TVHM.

Im about to start
Hero's Pass

Im lvl 48 now and have to say that this playthrough has been harder yes, but that because I only did story quests, so I was always underleveld for missions. Also, a lot of enemies just have one attack that downs you instantly.

Still having a lot of fun. Cant wait to reach lvl 50 and fight Terramorphous :)

KAOz

Short bus special
So, quick double-check question here guys.

If I do the Hunter Hellqvist side-quest and finish it (say at level 47), he'll still scale after the end game right? Like, he will be able to drop a level 50 shield with farming, even though I finish the quest itself at a lower level.

got to tvhm. This shit is hard at level 35 with mediocre guns. Its getting better, as i level up almost to 40 but my shields are like butter.

Started a new game with a gunzerker. Its fun as hell compared to my sire. I love just leroy jenkins rushing a new area.

So, quick double-check question here guys.

If I do the Hunter Hellqvist side-quest and finish it (say at level 47), he'll still scale after the end game right? Like, he will be able to drop a level 50 shield with farming, even though I finish the quest itself at a lower level.
Correct, the shield isn't a quest reward it's just a random drop from him. All enemies scale up after the end of the game regardless of quest status.

Interfectum

~ level 20-25 spoiler:

bloodwing's death
was fucking hilarious. I rarely ever laugh out loud at a video game but fuck that got me.

There is NO POINT in saving all the sidequests and golden keys until you beat the game on TVHM, because by that point you'll have purples thrown at you like nobodies business. You'll also have more money and eridium than you can spend.

Use all but 1 or 2 of your golden keys and do all the sidequests at around level 46-47 when the game starts to become really difficult.

I repeat: DON'T SAVE SIDEQUESTS AND GOLDEN KEYS. Once you beat TVHM you won't need them, purples aplenty.

Wunder

There is NO POINT in saving all the sidequests and golden keys until you beat the game on TVHM, because by that point you'll have purples thrown at you like nobodies business. You'll also have more money and eridium than you can spend.

Use all but 1 or 2 of your golden keys and do all the sidequests at around level 46-47 when the game starts to become really difficult.

I repeat: DON'T SAVE SIDEQUESTS AND GOLDEN KEYS. Once you beat TVHM you won't need them, purples aplenty.

Eh, I think it's worth it to at least look up some quest rewards. Some people like lvl 50 versions of their favorite gun, just so they are viable. A lot of them are novelty, like Bane or the talking shield, but there are some items like Law/Order or Firehawk that might be of use to somebody.

EDIT: Also, farming bosses is fun and tiring at the same time. I would have this over wandering aimlessly doing chest runs though.

Avinexus

Disagree. A lot of the sidequest rewards are rare drops, so if you can get them scaled to level 50 easily, why not?

Veitsev

This is mostly right. However there are certain quest rewards like the firehawk shield, the talking guns, the buffalo rifle, and Law+Order that should be waited on. Level 50 Law+Order is stupid good. Level 50 buffalo rifle is a 32k damage weapon with +180% crit damage.

Raxus

Horrid advice IMO. Zer0's would want a level 50 Law since it is the only gun with 100% melee bonus. Plus one of the best shotguns in the game is a quest only item. That said there are plenty of side quests with green/money rewards that you can complete to level up.

If a quest has a blue or higher involved then save it for 2.5.

yo guys but what if I complete (before waiting for P2.5) subquests on some random dude online game?

and what if some random dude online activate subquests on my game without waiting for P2.5

should I do TVHM alone offline?

Wunder

Moxxi will give you those guns over and over, Iv had Good touch 4 times at different levels on P1

You ain't gonna get another Bad Touch though. And really, who wants fire smgs?

yo guys but what if I complete (before waiting for P2.5) subquests on some random dude online game?

and what if some random dude online activate subquests on my game without waiting for P2.5

should I do TVHM alone offline?

IIRC, if you complete the sidequest while in his game, it will give you the reward. If he picks it up and you leave, you might get a notification saying "Do you want to fast forward", whereby you would click No, or you might just have it in your log. You can do TVHM with friends just make sure they know what's up. I wouldn't recommend playing public BL2, but I never recommend public co-op anything.

Horrid advice IMO. Zer0's would want a level 50 Law since it is the only gun with 100% melee bonus. Plus one of the best shotguns in the game is a quest only item. That said there are plenty of side quests with green/money rewards that you can complete to level up.

If a quest has a blue or higher involved then save it for 2.5.
I saved all the sidequests and keys, what a waste. By the time I beat TVHM I had a stockpile of purple weapons. When I really could've use them all was when I was level 46ish and still using greens on probably the hardest part of the game.

Now I've got all these quests left with garbage blue weapons that I'll never use. I don't even pick up blue weapons anymore, blue weapons aren't even vendor trash at this point because I have all this useless money that serves no purpose.

Insaniac

level 50 siren, just beat play through 2, destroyed the Gate / Hero's Pass with no trouble at all.

While phaselock doesn't have the sheer ownage of a fully decked Commando turret, the power of phaselock cannot be denied. The ability to control the flow of the battlefield using converge/ruin and singularity grenades is the siren's greatest strength.

Currently on playthrough 2.5, accepted a few side quests, and did the quest that give you Law (just an absolute beast at level 50), but decided to stop accepting the sidequests given the DLC might raise the cap.

some post game thoughts:

This game was above and beyond what the first borderlands was in almost every aspect.

A couple gripes I have are the scaling of the weapons reaches a point where you're finding a new more powerful weapon to use very often, which kinda feels silly ditching a weapon you used for only half a level. Also I felt like the class mods were extremely limiting and boring, whereas the class mods in borderlands 1 allowed for more variability to build types, I feel like class mods were an area they could've really been creative with, but instead played it too safe.

Also, while for the most part I loved the feel of the weapons, assault rifles really felt like they were crappy in this game. I hardly ever used an assault rifle in the late game. Too much recoil/small mag size made them inferior to a decent SMG.

Also, hyperion SMGs, lol. dat kick

Mrcapcom

Hold up so im on playthrough 1 with my Assassin and im levle 31 and I usually do all the missions and side missions. From the Comments im doing this wrong? I can't reset or anything so when I go through playthrough 2 I can do all the side quests again or w/e?

web01

The bee is such an OP shield BUT it is a ton of fun to use and destroy strong enemies that would give you a hard time usually plus when you get a decent one in TVHM lvl 50 you have done everything the game has to offer so it is not a big deal.

I am against them nerfing it until until we get a DLC expansion pack.

Hold up so im on playthrough 1 with my Assassin and im levle 31 and I usually do all the missions and side missions. From the Comments im doing this wrong? I can't reset or anything so when I go through playthrough 2 I can do all the side quests again or w/e?

That's something specific to playthrough 2 in order to maximize the item level of quests reward

You can do all the quests during your first run if you want. Except Terra of course

Mrcapcom

That's something specific to playthrough 2 in order to maximize the item level of quests reward

You can do all the quests during your first run if you want. Except Terra of course

Ok cool so bascially im good when I go through playthrough 2 I will have to do all the missions and side missions all over?
I'm loving the game so far I been waiting to use my key :-D

ckohler

Ok cool so bascially im good when I go through playthrough 2 I will have to do all the missions and side missions all over?

Yes. Playthrough 2 (True Vault Hunter Mode) is the same as the first playthrough with all the same missions and sidequests except there are higher level enemies and some new enemy variants. The loot scales also.

taylor910

Yes. Playthrough 2 (True Vault Hunter Mode) is the same as the first playthrough with all the same missions and sidequests except there are higher level enemies and some new enemy variants. The loot scales also.

Does the loot scale to 50 once you hit 50 or after you beat the game on playthrough 2?

You're starting from scratch essentially

Just remember to leave the quests that gave unique items that you intend on using end game until after you've defeated the boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom