• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm tempted to pick this up, but given that my PC setup isn't the most comfortable to play on (and this looks like a game to dump hours in to), should I just go with PS3?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is getting out of hand.

The amount of time I have spent in this game is above 70 hours and I am still hooked. I have to put this game on a hold because I can not even play Dishonored or any of the other future released games like Halo 4, AC3 and FC3.
I played through BL1 and the DLC when it was a PS+ bonus then immediately bought BL2 and played through that. I started Dishonored because I figured I would want a break from Borderlands but now that the DLC is out I want to jump back in and do that and TVHM. I'm forcing myself to finish Dishonored first so I don't just leave it nearly done. Don't get me wrong, Dishonored is pretty great but BL2 has its hooks in me.

I've had no problems on PS3 thus far. The PC has better graphics though, but the PS3's fine.

Cool thanks, yeah my rig would be better than the PS3 as it's a 2500k i5 and 560ti, but I have to sit on the end of the bed to use my PC :( compared to a 47" TV and a sofa.

I had the first Borderlands but got burnt twice with the save corruption bug and then gave up.

HoosTrax

Cool thanks, yeah my rig would be better than the PS3 as it's a 2500k i5 and 560ti, but I have to sit on the end of the bed to use my PC :( compared to a 47" TV and a sofa.

I had the first Borderlands but got burnt twice with the save corruption bug and then gave up.
Seems like a shame not to just buy an HDMI cable considering that setup could have maxed out Borderlands 2, other than maybe PhysX.

Seems like a shame not to just buy an HDMI cable considering that setup could have maxed out Borderlands 2, other than maybe PhysX.

PC is in the bedroom, TV in the living room sadly, else yeah I would have done that, I have been considering getting a smaller case for it all and putting under the TV.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Seriously, I haven't even finished the first one yet, which I love and hate at the same time, but that pirate themed DLC got me hyped up about the sequel. I love Pirates! :'D
That, and Anthony Burch. First one is pretty silent, has this one got more dialogue? And are there towns or things like that? I'm really missing something like that in the original.

Xanathus

Still can't play the DLC because Steam sent me the Russian version of the Season Pass even though it was purchased from the UK store, support hasn't replied to my ticket after 4 days.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Anyone want to level boost on Fleshstick on normal mode? If so just let me know, I have the quest. Steam ID same as my Neogaf one.

Unicorn

Seriously, I haven't even finished the first one yet, which I love and hate at the same time, but that pirate themed DLC got me hyped up about the sequel. I love Pirates! :'D
That, and Anthony Burch. First one is pretty silent, has this one got more dialogue? And are there towns or things like that? I'm really missing something like that in the original.
There is rarely a time an NPC isn't chatting your ear off.
The main town is a lot better than New Haven.

glaurung

Wish they'd patch a FoV slider in for the PS3 version. Other than that, the game looks very good both on PS3 and on my epic gaming PC.

If only I had time/energy to play it some more.

DSmalls84

So how is the new DLC? I have finished True Vault Hunter Mode and haven't got a chance to start it yet. Any cool loot? Did they nerf the Bee?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Do you get anything extra for getting the Critical Hit Kill bonus objective in Fink's Slaughterhouse?

I thought those extra objectives just give more exp? Ive done it twice on the 360 and PC. But never paid attention to if there really was anything different

FUCK the hyperion arena and trying to get those crit kills. At lv 35 am stuck at trying to finish the 5th and final round. Jesus christ is it insanely hard solo. Id say borderline impossible unless you figure out some sort of exploit. Damned bots just hit too hard.

Badgerst3

Just started tvhm and met hammerlock. Level 33.

How/ where do I access the DLC? Just wondering if I have to get to a certain story point...

Lothars

If you have the season pass what do you even need to do to download the dlc? In game menu?
Yes but once you activate it in the ingame menu than you can go to your download history and start the download without being ingame if you prefer since I found that once you start it in the ingame menu, it has to be left till it's finished or it will stop.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't bought this game yet, but is this a game you can play solo or is it more of a co-op thing? I played Borderlands solo and I was bored out of my mind after a few hours.

Also how long is the game? I'm considering getting it over Black Friday but with all this DLC dropping I'm wondering if it's worth waiting for the GOTY edition instead.

Volcynika

How far am I story-wise? Friend may not have time to play in a few weeks, so just checking.
Going to find where the Warrior is buried, in Eridium Blight now

Marvie_3

Banned
I thought those extra objectives just give more exp? Ive done it twice on the 360 and PC. But never paid attention to if there really was anything different

FUCK the hyperion arena and trying to get those crit kills. At lv 35 am stuck at trying to finish the 5th and final round. Jesus christ is it insanely hard solo. Id say borderline impossible unless you figure out some sort of exploit. Damned bots just hit too hard.

I made it to about the 5th or 6th round and just said fuck it. Had to have a friend help me with the last parts.

Parakeetman

I haven't bought this game yet, but is this a game you can play solo or is it more of a co-op thing? I played Borderlands solo and I was bored out of my mind after a few hours.

Also how long is the game? I'm considering getting it over Black Friday but with all this DLC dropping I'm wondering if it's worth waiting for the GOTY edition instead.

Its insanely long when put into comparison with the first game.

If you didnt like playing the first solo, there is little chance you will like the second solo. Either find friends to play with (lots of people here for you to ask) or dont buy it and regret it later.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

YMMV, but co-op is more fun of course. Though I still had a good time solo. Same with borderlands 1, so take that as you will.

First playthrough took me 30 hours.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Its insanely long when put into comparison with the first game.

If you didnt like playing the first solo, there is little chance you will like the second solo. Either find friends to play with (lots of people here for you to ask) or dont buy it and regret it later.

How does co-op work though? Let's say I just start the game and I want to play co-op with people here, do they have to be at the same point in the story as me? Can I play with people who are much higher level than me?

Parakeetman

I made it to about the 5th or 6th round and just said fuck it. Had to have a friend help me with the last parts.

The worst part about it too is thats the last sub quest sitting around in my list currently which is making the OCD gamer in me frown. That and managed to get all the other crit kill sub quests completed for the previous 4 rounds.

I really think I need to find some better weapons. The stuff I have is powerful, but its more situational. With how the 5th round is just literally chaos I cant use the current combination of weapons I dragged in there with me effectively. Though at this point in time there really is no area with enemies near the same lv as me that I can use to either lv up or go looking for better gear from. hmm ill have to wander around a bit or try to figure something out. Am using zero so that does not help matters at all. As trying to melee the robots is pretty much suicide for the most part. My build is the one that goes into the continuing decoy mode as long as you get a melee kill. (i dont remember the skill names)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
How does co-op work though? Let's say I just start the game and I want to play co-op with people here, do they have to be at the same point in the story as me? Can I play with people who are much higher level than me?

Yes. You'll die alot, but you'll level up faster. Plus when you reach that point in the story you will have the option to play it or skip it.

Parakeetman

Yeah they can drop in and out as long as they are in your friends list and such. Its pretty easy and works well. Its a lot less restrictive than the first one I think?

So basically it does not matter where each of you are in the story. Plus the game will also let said player know that they have already done the quest when it comes to the reward at the end. But asides from that everything else is a non issue.

In regards to the story its a lot more well written than the first game and is actually cohesive. Plus there is a real clear goal this time around, besides just hearing "find the vault" sorta deal. All of the dialog in the game is great and well done.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
There is rarely a time an NPC isn't chatting your ear off.
The main town is a lot better than New Haven.
Ahw man, that's what I wanted to hear.
Now my wallet's angry.

garath

Anyone have a problem with co-op and the person who DIDN'T turn in the quest not getting the item reward? My friend and I have been playing our characters co-op the entire time and a few times (twice last night!) one of us will turn in a quest and get the item rewards no problem but the other person will get the xp with no item. The quest shows as completed in the quest book but no reward :(

Really sucks.

edit: PC version.

Not too impossible to solo, I did it :p level 35 mechromancer with some pretty good items I guess. Had some health regen from the BFF tree, that was a big help. Stayed behind some containers most of the fight.

Parakeetman

Not too impossible to solo, I did it :p level 35 mechromancer with some pretty good items I guess. Had some health regen from the BFF tree, that was a big help. Stayed behind some containers most of the fight.

Thats the problem you are the mechromancer. Try it with zero then get back to me. :/

I suppose I could respec into a sniping build and just try to do stupid damage and crits. Since the melee build im using is practically worthless on the final round.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah they can drop in and out as long as they are in your friends list and such. Its pretty easy and works well. Its a lot less restrictive than the first one I think?

So basically it does not matter where each of you are in the story. Plus the game will also let said player know that they have already done the quest when it comes to the reward at the end. But asides from that everything else is a non issue.

In regards to the story its a lot more well written than the first game and is actually cohesive. Plus there is a real clear goal this time around, besides just hearing "find the vault" sorta deal. All of the dialog in the game is great and well done.

Cool, good to know, thanks! I'll see what kind of deals it gets over Black Friday and may pick it up if I see it go low enough.

Parakeetman

Cool, good to know, thanks! I'll see what kind of deals it gets over Black Friday and may pick it up if I see it go low enough.

Ill tell you right off though that this game is worth every penny, since they crammed it with content thats for sure. Its double the size of the first one easy Id say. I feel almost as if my first play through I could run through BL1 twice. To me anyways. Not sure if everyone else feels the same. The world feels much larger too and for the most part they got rid of that irritating cant jump off of high places or you will die instantly BS.

So I beat the DLC, pretty awesome. Treasure was kinda meeeeeeeh though. I keep hearing about a glitch for the treasure room. I might have to look into it because I'm extremely underwhelmed by the loot I got.

There is a container in the NNE side of the map by the landing pad. Outside a a couple bots that come up to the opening, it shelters you from most attacks. Also, when the bots are coming out of the force field doors, you can snipe them without aggro if you stay around that container.

The big bots (constructors) are a bit of a problem, but not difficult if you take your time, manage the adds as they come and pick away at them.

Management of the flying bots is basically a pop and shoot affair by moving in and out of the container.

I spent probably 85-90% of my time around that container, moving in and out of it as needed and I passed it without losing my shield. There is another container very close by (on the rocky ground) that I used to manage the constructors.

Parakeetman

There is a container in the NNE side of the map by the landing pad. Outside a a couple bots that come up to the opening, it shelters you from most attacks. Also, when the bots are coming out of the force field doors, you can snipe them without aggro if you stay around that container.

The big bots (constructors) are a bit of a problem, but not difficult if you take your time, manage the adds as they come and pick away at them.

Management of the flying bots is basically a pop and shoot affair by moving in and out of the container.

I spent probably 85-90% of my time around that container, moving in and out of it as needed and I passed it without losing my shield. There is another container very close by (on the rocky ground) that I used to manage the constructors.

Ill have to try that. The large guy isnt as big of a problem for me, got a launcher I use on that thing or just crit the eye. The suicider assholes and the flying repair bots are another story just due to the sheer number of them. The last time I played one of the bots seemed to have some sort of slag launcher that killed me in 2 hits pretty much. first ripped off my shields second killed me. Bled out with nothing to kill in time. Oh and the wonderful WAR bots when they go in that full auto fire mode. Seems to be random whats thrown at you in the final phase though.

Yeah think Ill just respec into sniping just to clear the stupid quest. Hopefully then I wont need to slag guys first then get the crit hit to take em out in 1 shot.

Izick

I think I've lost 20K in Fink's Slaughterhouse due to those rats and respawning penalties. I was so close to 50K too. V_V

Here's a neat little trick I use when I've reached level 50 and I want to start doing quests for the red text weapons, etc.

I log in a junk user on my Xbox 360 and play split screen. I just leave the "mule" where ever and go finish the quest. This basically gives me two of the unique items. I can then compare and keep the better one.

Even the stats on the quest reward items can be random.

On a side note, if you create a mule (non LIVE account) just grind out bunker or warrior and they will level up and get eridium, that way you can maximize their muleyness...

(Dear Gearbox,
I need a bank that holds at the very least 150 items.
Thank You
Arcane)

Ill have to try that. The large guy isnt as big of a problem for me as the suicider assholes and the flying repair bots. The last time I played one of the bots seemed to have some sort of slag launcher that killed me in 2 hits pretty much. first ripped off my shields second killed me. Bled out with nothing to kill in time.

Yeah, the suicide bots will come up to the door and not come into the container. They might jump around a bit or explode on the top of the container, but as long as you're inside, it's all good.

The repair bots are probably the hardest to deal with because they come in a swarm. I just watched the radar and picked off the ones that would separate from the pack and fly out over the arena that I could see from the door.

And there is one mob that comes out like you mentioned that has a powerful gun...sometimes slag, sometimes electric elemental. Sometimes it was a bot for me, but most of the time it was a human mob with a rocket launcher that would cheese kill me like that.

I used Zero at level 34 or so when I did the arena. Using the container method, I only dies if I got overzealous or improperly timed a run to go grab some drops or ammo. It might still take you a couple times to smooth out a technique as you learn how the mobs act around the container.

Oh, and the humans (snipers and such) will pop around the corner and fire into the container, but for some reason will pop back after firing only a couple of shots and then stand around outside waiting to be brutalized.

HoosTrax

So I beat the DLC, pretty awesome. Treasure was kinda meeeeeeeh though. I keep hearing about a glitch for the treasure room. I might have to look into it because I'm extremely underwhelmed by the loot I got.
It's not a glitch per say, it's just the same type of save file juggling you can do with Warrior to keep getting his first-kill loot. In this case, you just keep reloading the save file from right before completing "Find the Treasure Room" objective.

The loot out of those chests seem decent so far from my testing. 2 legendaries so far (Leech and Bitch), and quite a few eTech, including several plasma casters (not surprising since it's a Eridian ruin of some sort).

(I'm not really proud that I have to resort to this sort of thing to get a decent chance at good loot, but after seeing the normal drop rates after 200+ hours of playing this game, yeah.)

Parakeetman

Yeah, the suicide bots will come up to the door and not come into the container. They might jump around a bit or explode on the top of the container, but as long as you're inside, it's all good.

The repair bots are probably the hardest to deal with because they come in a swarm. I just watched the radar and picked off the ones that would separate from the pack and fly out over the arena that I could see from the door.

And there is one mob that comes out like you mentioned that has a powerful gun...sometimes slag, sometimes electric elemental. Sometimes it was a bot for me, but most of the time it was a human mob with a rocket launcher that would cheese kill me like that.

I used Zero at level 34 or so when I did the arena. Using the container method, I only dies if I got overzealous or improperly timed a run to go grab some drops or ammo. It might still take you a couple times to smooth out a technique as you learn how the mobs act around the container.

Oh, and the humans (snipers and such) will pop around the corner and fire into the container, but for some reason will pop back after firing only a couple of shots and then stand around outside waiting to be brutalized.

Yeah that does sound plausible, thanks for the info on the strategy. I was looking at those in the game, but just did not have a clear path to try and hang out over there. Plus was overly paranoid about what spawns in on that platform later on.

Man talk about brutal too with how the arena unlike finks place has no freebie ammo crates. Just lots of accidents waiting to happen instead (barrels EVERYWHERE)

Im using that eridian caustic pistol the one that has a slight homing ability, but the damage effect is delayed just a little after impact. But it works pretty good if I can get my sights on the repair bots. But yeah as you mention just when there are multiple flying around in a swarm its just a tad difficult to single em out at times. On some occasions if I hug the rock wall side of the map they usually seem to get stuck on the rock wall or the pipes of the walkway above the arena. Though that section is a bit open so too easy to get trapped if the bots close in.

Wunder

That's the end of the game. Unless it keeps going after the final boss?

He said
find out where the warrior is, which I assume means before the big showdown
so he should still have a couple of zones to go

Just bummed about a bit on my Axton, doing normal Scarlett. Pretty fun! I really liked the two side quests with Aubrey Callahan III, reminded me of Aubrey Plaza's character on Parks and Rec but it wasn't too overt of a reference and the dead-pan apathetic chick character is a bit overplayed, but I still enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom