• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoism

DAT Conference Call gotdamn..... it was under his stupid head and I thought I was gonna flip a table... but it let me pick it up... damn is it over powered.....

The good news: I just solo'd Master Gee as a Gunzerker. No glitches of any kind, just focused on Brawn with movement boosts while gunzerking so I could avoid him and the worms.

The bad news: As soon as he died, the game crashed and didn't register the victory. Apparently this can happen if there are too many worms alive at the time of his death. Something about the game being unable to wipe them all out. There were about 6-7 alive when the acid finally wore Gee down.

Just ridiculous. At least now I know it can be done surprisingly easy solo. Kill one worm at a time and get him to absorb the acid. Once he does, kill the next worm, get him to absorb the acid. Rinse, wash, repeat. The more acid he absorbs, the quicker his health/shield diminish. The movement boosts allow me to get around him quickly and position myself so he walks right through the acid. You don't even have to fire a single bullet at him, just the worms. The problem is that by the end there are just so many worms alive that the game crashes as a result.

My launcher always crashes, I have no idea why. The game still launches but the launcher always stops responding.

Happens even when the "-nolauncher" option is used

stupid patch, now I can't play any matchmaking games because nobody else has updated!

I really can't believe people are saying this. It baffles me. It has been this way forever. This is not new. People will eventually update their game and all will be right. Can you not do matchmaking and just play with those that have the patch?

cheers - i can make a new banner, take whatever you need from the OT
dont think the wall of shame will change much lol
untitled1modc.png
:O I'm on there !!!!!!

Thanks for the notes on the PC slowdown items in the new DLC. The team has been looking into it and a fix will be coming sometime next week for that most likely.
nice!

one_kill

Will the DLC scale to my level?

I'm currently playing TVHM at level 50, but everything in the game is currently scaled at level 33.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TVHM people: Will you reach level 50 before you get to the end of the story or will you likely have to grind a bit afterwards?

So yea I've completely dropped Maya for Gaige. I love her so much, which is saying alot because I loved playing as Maya, but anarchy stacks + sniper rifle into AR for clean up + Death Trap to kill off stragglers = ON SOME GANGSTA SHIT.

Lunchbox

Banned
this fight bosses once a day is the dumbest most assbackwards decision i have ever seen. encourage people to play less of your game

fuck you the guy who came up with that, hope someone rubs poison ivy on your balls

Wallach

this fight bosses once a day is the dumbest most assbackwards decision i have ever seen. encourage people to play less of your game

fuck you the guy who came up with that, hope someone rubs poison ivy on your balls

Seems about a million times worse since they drop absolutely fuck all. Worst drops I've seen in a loot game in ages, including D3 at launch. Watched someone kill both of them last night and outside of the stupid crystals they dropped, exactly two pieces of loot hit the ground between both bosses (a blue and a purple). I thought the core game's "raid" bosses had bad loot but that shit is embarrassing.

Lunchbox

Banned
Seems about a million times worse since they drop absolutely fuck all. Worst drops I've seen in a loot game in ages, including D3 at launch. Watched someone kill both of them last night and outside of the stupid crystals they dropped, exactly two pieces of loot hit the ground between both bosses (a blue and a purple). I thought the core game's "raid" bosses had bad loot but that shit is embarrassing.

we got whites :|

now you wait 24 hours to play something you paid money for. this should be illegal

HoosTrax

The only good thing that's come out of the DLC loot-wise is that you can farm loot chests at the end similarly to farming the armory glitch from the Knoxx DLC. I forgot to copy my save file last night so I'll have to take my Gunzerker through the DLC to take advantage of it. God knows it's the only way I'll get me some oranges without going crazy from farming minibosses over and over again and seeing nothing.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
They better patch it out since truthfully as much respect I have for Gearbox and the awesome job Adam does here, really think that this was a poor decision on behalf of the design team.
Do not look forward to the kind of job Adam will have to do with forum damage control if he does have to go in there.

As if the issue bout the gore being toned down with the headshots + elemental effects wasnt enough. Since this is a loot game in the end, imagine if other loot games like Diablo, Torchlight, etc went and did something similar. Same type of backlash. Limiting how people can play for no good reason just is not the way to go. And the negative backlash and kneejerk reactions is going to hurt the products image, which has been pretty damned good so far. Real, real bad idea and dont see how it got actually approved.

Wallach

Yeah the decision on the two bosses was dumb, I hope its not repeated in the other dlc or BL3. I hope they patch it out.

It wouldn't be that big of a deal if the dropped appropriate loot. Somewhere halfway between Terramorphous garbage-tier and Crawmerax orgasm-tier loot explosions. Instead you will get a handful of rocks and, if you are lucky, one or two other lootable objects. It's just as likely nothing but turdbucks will fall out and you move an inch closer to being able to buy a single boring ass looking weapon from the Oasis vendor. Given the series' methods up to this point, it's almost offensive what they've designed towards with this shit.

Parakeetman

This isnt some sort of monthly fee type of game, so trying to extend the life of it by putting on real time restrictions does not make sense.

Let people play the game the way they want, (within reason of course, basically stay on the same design) release new content as always and be done with it. Since really what the farmers can farm and those who dont pay attention to things like farming doesnt effect them. But screwing with "half" of the fanbase so to speak and causing a rift in the community too just is not a good idea. Which you can see going on in the official thread itself on the subject. Then with how media outlets love to blow shit out of proportion will be interesting to see what happens then.

But perhaps this time the usual "game journalism" mountain out of a molehill bullshit might come in handy to twisting the arm to make em change it back.

Every time that I read "Warrior" I think of the wrestler.lol

Man if Randy Savage was still alive it would have been awesome to have him and Rick Flair do voices of characters in Borderlands.

This isnt some sort of monthly fee type of game, so trying to extend the life of it by putting on real time restrictions does not make sense.

Let people play the game the way they want, (within reason of course, basically stay on the same design) release new content as always and be done with it. Since really what the farmers can farm and those who dont pay attention to things like farming doesnt effect them. But screwing with "half" of the fanbase so to speak and causing a rift in the community too just is not a good idea. Which you can see going on in the official thread itself on the subject. Then with how media outlets love to blow shit out of proportion will be interesting to see what happens then.

But perhaps this time the usual "game journalism" mountain out of a molehill bullshit might come in handy to twisting the arm to make em change it back.

Man if Randy Savage was still alive it would have been awesome to have him and Rick Flair do voices of characters in Borderlands.

Knowing Gearbox, they would have done a Macho Man DLC pack.lol

"Burn, baby burn!............"

Xevren

I like the dlc for the most part, wish I had more! The music especially was fantastic. No real interest to try out the 2 raid bosses since they don't look like much fun at all. Hell a buddy of mine is livid after he finally beat one and the game keeps freezing on him when he does it.

Parakeetman

Knowing Gearbox, they would have done a Macho Man DLC pack.lol

"Burn, baby burn!............"

His personality and voice so would have been a hilarious addition to the game itself as he fits the insane world of Pandora so well. Would have been cool even if the melee system is shit, if they made the special objective for the quest if he was a boss, to beat him with melee only.
Im still really hoping for in Borderlands 3 that they go a different route and include things like holdable shields and various melee weapons.

---

Back to the subject bout the real time wait period for the raid bosses, is the other issue it brings up is will force people to figure out exploits and such. Therefore in the future causing more work for the people at gearbox figuring out ways to prevent that. More trouble overall than its worth.

To those on the official forum who think its a good idea and extends the life of the game itself. It really does not. As stated before all it does is turn off the portion of the consumer base who is OCD and loves to farm n loot. Not exactly the smartest thing to do. Apparently here and on the official forums also folks are saying its not even like after beating the raid bosses awesome stuff drops all the time either. That and the fact that once again its not a game that brings in $$$ from a monthly fee. There is no real reason to keep people playing for longer periods of time. All of their $$$ will come from sales of the game and DLC. Not trying to keep them playing every day. Too many folks just never think about those sorts of things and make the stupid decision just to assume because its ok for me its ok for everyone else. While not looking at the bigger picture of how it will effect things overall.

Unicorn

cheers - i can make a new banner, take whatever you need from the OT

dont think the wall of shame will change much lol

untitled1modc.png

I would probably post more, but I have 160+ hours so far, so I'm too busy playing and only post/respond during work hours or downtime (poop time).

Still, I'm on there, so whatevs. Game of the Generation, buggy updates or not.

So the DLC took me like six or seven hours to "complete" with my level 39 Zero. Couldn't even dent the raid boss. Looks like the DLC will be fun as hell to play through on 2.5, all of that unique Captain Blade gear will probably be pretty epic, nevermind the boss/legendary farming fun times.

TVHM people: Will you reach level 50 before you get to the end of the story or will you likely have to grind a bit afterwards?

Just do every quest and you should be fine. I hit 50 before I got to the Warrior's Pass.

Lunchbox

Banned
To those on the official forum who think its a good idea and extends the life of the game itself. It really does not.

locking out content people already paid for to "extend" the game.........

yeah Halo 4 and Call of duty next month, good luck and see you never from half of your fanbase if this trend continues

Parakeetman

locking out content people already paid for to "extend" the game.........

yeah Halo 4 and Call of duty next month, good luck and see you never if this trend continues

Exactly. People paid for the DLC so why fuck with the experience by doing something stupid like adding a daily timer on when you can fight a specific enemy again. Apparently this effects party play too if one person has already fought it judging from the posts on the forum. Dont make the experience a job. People have actual lives and adding limitation that forces people to figure out some sort of stupid schedule to go around doing what they want to in a non MMO game like this is just mind boggling.

I cant test it out for myself as its not released in my region yet and spotflux + steam now does not seem to play nice anymore. :/

As so many in the game industry development / design side seem to forget the golden rule "If it aint broken, dont fix it"

Insaniac

so what would you guys consider to be a really good shield to use? (excepting the Bee) I've got a Hide of Terramorphus and a nice purple Amp shield. How is the Firehawk shield at level 50?

Also: Blight Phoenix, Worth it or not? If not, what other skill instead of it? (chain reaction or backdraft)

Aurongel

I don't think the boss cooldown timer is as big a deal as everyone here is making it out to seem, I think we're once again looking at some hyperbolic NeoGAF reactions to something that ultimately isn't a big deal.

They're creating this cooldown period to stop people from farming their raid bosses which as a result makes their loot/rewards that much more valuable. Besides, the people who are REALLY bothered by this will just get those weapons duped anyway.

Seeing as how the DLC just came out, I'm assuming I'm going to have the minority opinion on this for a while.

Parakeetman

I don't think the boss cooldown timer is as big a deal as everyone here is making it out to seem, I think we're once again looking at some hyperbolic NeoGAF reactions to something that ultimately isn't a big deal.

They're creating this cooldown period to stop people from farming their raid bosses which as a result makes their loot/rewards that much more valuable. Besides, the people who are REALLY bothered by this will just get those weapons duped anyway.

Seeing as how the DLC just came out, I'm assuming I'm going to have the minority opinion on this for a while.

Its not a NeoGAF thing I posted the official thread that shows a lot of people are bothered by this. And by all logical means its overall a bad business choice, since you piss off a portion of your fanbase for no good reason. Which is a good number of people due to the fact that this is a loot game.

With how fast information good and bad spreads on the internet. Nothing positive can come from a decision like this.

Once again this is not a MMO with a monthly fee so keeping people online and trying to make items seem more "rare / valuable" has no real meaning. Your example of duping would be going on anyways regardless of this or not. Just now people might turn to it even more so just to say "Fuck You to the system" so to speak.

They should have thought out the design a bit more on their behalf instead of using a bandaid solution like what we see here. As there will be repercussions for this if not addressed. As this is something that actually effects gameplay and how people can play. Unlike something cosmetic like exploding heads, melting bodies. This is from a pure business standpoint. Its a bad fucking decision period. Way too much trouble for what its worth.

My personal stake on the matter as how I play the game is from a neutral standpoint. As I dont really do things like farm mindlessly. But the overall decision which effects not only the IP but the fanbase is what bothers me. Not a good trend to start and they do need to address the fans with an official statement over this quick if they want to try and do a little DC on the matter before the click hungry "game journalists" decide to go and run with it.

*Bit of useless trivia. Ive been actually playing the game for a while now in a separate window.

Lunchbox

Banned

- i couldnt play this morning while my friend was playing and they beat the boss
- come back home and get to the boss mission, and now i cant fight the boss with my friends in the party.
- but thats ok because you stopped FARMING.....right thats why a random came into my game and gave me 5 pink guns and a pink relic (WHICH ARE ALL WORSE THAN MY CURRENT GUNS)

Truly the Pinnacle of game design in a game made for co-op play

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
they should just make the boss spawn with erurdium, been walking around with 99 since PT1, even 20-30 a pop would be cool.

Parakeetman

If they really want to do something to extend the games life, they should add in a "weapon customization" system. Which is basically you find parts to put together guns.

Better parts quality = better stats etc.

Adds a whole new bit to the loot game fun. Break down current guns for the chance to get parts back.

An OCD gamers nightmare lol.

See that took me less than 10 seconds to think up and is by far a better solution than adding shit like a real world timer to the game. (Though from the technical side of things its a lot of work, but Gearbox has the talent to make it happen. Budget on the other hand I would like to think so considering how well the game has sold. But this is me on the outside looking in.

they should just make the boss spawn with erurdium, been walking around with 99 since PT1, even 20-30 a pop would be cool.

Hell even thats a better / viable idea than what they gave the fans.

If they really want to do something to extend the games life, they should add in a "weapon customization" system. Which is basically you find parts to put together guns.

Better parts quality = better stats etc.

Adds a whole new bit to the loot game fun. Break down current guns for the chance to get parts back.

An OCD gamers nightmare lol.

See that took me less than 10 seconds to think up and is by far a better solution than adding shit like a real world timer to the game. (Though from the technical side of things its a lot of work, but Gearbox has the talent to make it happen. Budget on the other hand I would like to think so considering how well the game has sold. But this is me on the outside looking in.

Hell even thats a better / viable idea than what they gave the fans.
Tough to balance a parts system.

Parakeetman

Tough to balance a parts system.

Its not like the guns are balanced all that well anyways. Seeing as how still sniper rifles are the best damage output besides the insanely high damage rocket launchers. At least rocket launchers are useful now unlike the first game. Though I miss the proximity type of grenades. Those would have been useful in this game, seeing how areas are larger and more enemies can be present now than the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom