• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xevren

Pretty sure same as bosses or the old method in bl1. open chests then save and quit. start the game up and chests are back.

Pretty sure said boss has a 24 hour lock though, assuming possibly playing offline and advancing the clock or some other method maybe?

BLU-82

Cool, I'll message you when I get on later tonight. I already have a couple of bees. What's a slagger? I'm assuming you mean some specific weapon that has the slag element?

slagga*. Legendary SMG. It's only level 17 but because it fires 3 shots at a time and has a large mag it works quite well with the bee shield against mobs etc. Got me all the way to bunker on TVHM no problem.

Just a heads up for anyone who comes across Mr. Bubbles and Lil Sis in the DLC: Don't kill Lil Sis. After you kill Bubbles, talk to her and she'll give you this gun:

EINqC.jpg

Is there a source somewhere stating that the proc chance stacks are multiplicative instead of additive? Because this doesn't seem that way, but maybe I'm imagining shit since I haven't done any sort of real testing.

Flicker does as advertized, people just misunderstand the description and assume it is massively overpowered.

At 5 points, Flicker increases your chance of causing elemental effects by 30%. This means you cause elemental effects 30% more often. This does not mean that a weapon with 15% elemental effect chance will now have 45%, as that would be a 200% increase, not a 30% one.

What I haven't seen confirmation on is if the same elemental effect can stack multiple times in intensity (i.e. lighting someone on fire twice causes them to take twice as much damage per second from the burning effect), or if it simply re-applies the same burning effect. In the former case, flicker would effectively increase you damage per second due to elemental effects by 30% (though how much it impacts your total damage output would depend on how much damage you do per second from bullet damage vs. the dps of the elemental effect). In the latter case, Flicker would effectively be useless, because any decent elemental SMG is going to be able to cause a DOT effect within half a second most of the time, and doing it .1 seconds faster has no major impact on killing speed.

theres a bunch of stuff in the gearbox forums about it. above comment does make sense and I guess we were all interpreting it differently.

HoosTrax

I just farmed the
leviathan chests
25 times. It seems like a good place to find legendary guns rather quick.
Yup, I've gotten these today doing that farming method:

Madhous!
Maggie
Gunerang
Unkempt Harold
Emperor
Bitch
Pandemic
Legendary Beserker

(for those who don't know the farming method referred to, I already detailed it in an earlier post)

Inskipp

Do the actual orange drops from the
leviathan chests
appear when
you pick up the final quest second time and kill the leviathan again
?

Flicker does as advertized, people just misunderstand the description and assume it is massively overpowered.

At 5 points, Flicker increases your chance of causing elemental effects by 30%. This means you cause elemental effects 30% more often. This does not mean that a weapon with 15% elemental effect chance will now have 45%, as that would be a 200% increase, not a 30% one.

What I haven't seen confirmation on is if the same elemental effect can stack multiple times in intensity (i.e. lighting someone on fire twice causes them to take twice as much damage per second from the burning effect), or if it simply re-applies the same burning effect. In the former case, flicker would effectively increase you damage per second due to elemental effects by 30% (though how much it impacts your total damage output would depend on how much damage you do per second from bullet damage vs. the dps of the elemental effect). In the latter case, Flicker would effectively be useless, because any decent elemental SMG is going to be able to cause a DOT effect within half a second most of the time, and doing it .1 seconds faster has no major impact on killing speed.

Elemental effects are additive it can only be applied once and time your weapon procs the effect again it just restarting the timer on how long the effect lasts. The Hellfire SMG however behaves differently each time the fire elemental effect procs the effect stacks instead of resetting the timer. That is its red text effect.

HoosTrax

Do the actual orange drops from the
leviathan chests
appear when
you pick up the final quest second time and kill the leviathan again
?
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

I killed him as part of the main DLC story quest. Then I made a copy of my save file when the objective says "Find the Treasure Room". After the credits roll, I go into the vault and see if anything is worth keeping (oranges, eTech weapons etc) -- if there is, I make the hike back to Sanctuary and dump them into the locker. Then I overwrite my save file with the old one, pre-credits).

garath

Yup, I've gotten these today doing that farming method:

Madhous!
Maggie
Gunerang
Unkempt Harold
Emperor
Bitch
Pandemic
Legendary Beserker

(for those who don't know the farming method referred to, I already detailed it in an earlier post)

Well I give. I tried searching the thread with your username and didn't see it. Mind reposting the method? I haven't been following the thread that closely and I missed it.

edit: never mind.. looks like you just did above.. :p

Inskipp

I killed him as part of the main DLC story quest. Then I made a copy of my save file when the objective says "Find the Treasure Room". After the credits roll, I go into the vault and see if anything is worth keeping (oranges, eTech weapons etc) -- if there is, I make the hike back to Sanctuary and dump them into the locker. Then I overwrite my save file with the old one, pre-credits).
No I meant that
since you can complete the main DLC final quest twice (second time is picked from a bounty board), which playthrough is more likely to drop oranges?

And yea the first question was badly worded :V

rukland

Would it not be quicker for you to just split screen give the good gear to the 2nd player. Quit out and then reload your main toon save?

HoosTrax

Would it not be quicker for you to just split screen give the good gear to the 2nd player. Quit out and then reload your main toon save?
I'm on my laptop right now, and it takes too many system resources to do that (it is possible on PC, it just requires two instances of the game to be running). But you're completely correct in that it's a more efficient way of doing it.

No I meant that
since you can complete the main DLC final quest twice (second time is picked from a bounty board), which playthrough is more likely to drop oranges?

And yea the first question was badly worded :V
Hmm, I have no idea. I haven't tried doing it afterwards.

--

In any case, it is kind of sad that those give a better rate of return than farming bosses.

Another thing I think could be improved upon is giving some kind of incentive for killing trash mobs. As it is, I'm really just tempted to make a mad dash through the levels, not caring if I have to Second Wind my entire way through a map. Because as it is, regular enemies drop nothing worthwhile and do nothing but waste your time. I don't know what the solution to that is, maybe give them a chance to drop tokens that can be saved up to buy gear.

tatsuki

Sorry, what farm method is this? Can you elaborate?
After you kill
leviathan,
before you go to the chest room. I quit and saved the game, made a back up of that save, loaded back into the game, ran to the chests, looted the chests, gave anything good to a default splitscreen character, quit the game, overwrite your save file and repeat. It probably sounds more tedious then it really is.

Although, I don't think I really need to be overwriting my save file each time. Since I give anything good to a default character as storage. I should be able to just quit out of the game and run right back to the chests.

I really need some help with my Siren.

I exclusively play her co-op with a Commando of the same level (currently 21)

what build should I be going with??

any recommendations?

abundant

I really need some help with my Siren.

I exclusively play her co-op with a Commando of the same level (currently 21)

what build should I be going with??

any recommendations?

For coop play, Res in the Harmony Tree is a must. Wreck is good too. If you want to be a huge damage dealer, go down the Cataclysm tree. Chain Reaction, Reaper, and Ruin are extremely helpful.

Focus primarily on SMGs, because they tend to have a high fire rate/clip size. This goes great with Wreck and CR.

Ashodin

There's some weird net code where the game sends packets funky if you use a USB wireless adapter to play online. The game sends packets so funny the game stutters every second like . . . . . And you can't play at all really. A game like this needs fast reaction time.

For coop play, Res in the Harmony Tree is a must. Wreck is good too. If you want to be a huge damage dealer, go down the Cataclysm tree. Chain Reaction, Reaper, and Ruin are extremely helpful.

Focus primarily on SMGs, because they tend to have a high fire rate/clip size. This goes great with Wreck and CR.

This is what I do with my Siren.

Motion + Harmony for co-op (Wreck and Res are awesome) and Motion + Cataclysm for solo (Converge + Ruin is great).

This method doesn't make sense. Could you perhaps enlighten me? I'm super duper confused lol. Here's why:
1. Get legendary weapon from chest
2. Get back to sanctuary
3. Put gun in locker
4. Save??? Save this new file with a completed quest?
5. Load up old save
6. Gun is in locker (How? It's a completely different save?)
7. Duplicate the save and go again

What? lol sorry. Could someone enlighten me? Can you do this on Xbox?

Ashodin

So basically one of two things needs to happen. I have to buy a whole new fucking wireless card or adapter for my PC just for BORDERLANDS 2, or they patch it. I think the latter will never happen.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
This method doesn't make sense. Could you perhaps enlighten me? I'm super duper confused lol. Here's why:
2. Get back to sanctuary
3. Put gun in locker
5. Load up old save

Note the difference between "locker" and "safe." The data for Claptrap's locker isn't saved in your character file since it's shared amongst all characters. Whatever you put in there is still saved even if you write over your character file.

HoosTrax

2. Get back to sanctuary
3. Put gun in locker
5. Load up old save

Each character has a save file (*.sav). The stash locker has its own separate save file (profile.bin).

Once you finish looting, the quest will have completed and thus the door to the vault will shut. Hence why you need to keep a copy of the save file from before completing the quest, so you can use it to overwrite the current save.

I have no idea how an XBox functions. It accepts USB memory sticks maybe?

Zeth

If I already entered the DLC area at level 34(TVHM) does that set their level? Or when I hit 50 do I start a new PT2.5 mode that scales everything? Basically should I save that area for level 50 stuff or just play it now?

If I already entered the DLC area at level 34 does that set their level? Or when I hit 50 do I start a new PT2.5 mode that scales everything. Basically should I save that area for level 50 stuff or just play it now?

You can play it now, but if you want some good level 50 loot from the raid bosses you might want to go back after your TVHM playthrough.

Each character has a save file (*.sav). The stash locker has its own separate save file (profile.bin).

Once you finish looting, the quest will have completed and thus the door to the vault will shut. Hence why you need to keep a copy of the save file from before completing the quest, so you can use it to overwrite the current save.

I have no idea how an XBox functions. It accepts USB memory sticks maybe?

Doing it on the 360 is done the same way. After Leviathan is killed save and quit, press the guide button, go to Settings > System Settings and copy the save onto whatever storage device(I use cloud storage) Overwrite the original save on the hard drive with the storage device save then load up the game with the hard drive save. A spiltscreen char can be used for storing the treasure.

I've done this about 5 times and gotten fuck all, some purples but mostly blues. How often do oranges show up?

HoosTrax

I've done this about 5 times and gotten fuck all, some purples but mostly blues. How often do oranges show up?
I just got a Hornet and a Deliverance in addition to the rest of the list I posted, so it's not super rare. Maybe a couple of legendaries every hour at the very least? Too small of a sample size to say definitively.

(I've gotten more legendaries in the past day than I've gotten in the previous 200+ hours...the normal drop rate for the bosses in this game are worse than for Korean MMOs)

Edit: Just got a Legendary Mechromancer and a corrosive Lyuda.

Inskipp

Baby Maker is old news. Tediore E-Tech is whats hot now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo72eLXwvpA&feature=plcp

Dat 101 clip
It's funny how Tediore has advanced into one of the better manufacturers. I still remember when they were considered trash-tier in BL1.

Such a weird contrast.
I dunno, the fire damage on my hellfire is a bit more, although the per-bullet damage is higher by a bit.
34AB618E-6DEA-42FF-9FCA-A3E3F7C7711D-16363-00000B3E3D7AAE76.jpg
I want to see you kill Hyperius in 6 seconds with that gun.

HoosTrax

It's funny how Tediore has advanced into one of the better manufacturers. I still remember when they were considered trash-tier in BL1.

Such a weird contrast.
Thinking the same thing. Also, I hope Tediore gets a DLC dedicated to them. Tediore, Maliwan, and Vladof are the only gun manufacturers that haven't been featured in a DLC yet I think, other than the defunct S&S which got taken over by Bandit.

How would you guys spec a Level 50 Zero to deal with Terramorphous solo?

Also, I've a CC, but no Bee... Exercise in futility/irritation? Stupid Bee. Drop already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom