• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone link me to how borderlands handles XP and level progression in multiplayer? Here are some questions I have:

What happens when a level 5 player plays with a level 20?
-What level will the enemies be?
-What level will the loot be?
-If the level 20 runs around critical shotting enemies, how does the level 5 earn XP?

How is XP distributed to both players?
-Does either player miss out on XP because the other one killed an enemy?
-Is the XP leveled differently for each player?
-Are quest rewards from NPC given to all players in the party?

Is it better to play through solo first before teaming up?

Do players miss out on in game experiences if they play the campaign with others?

MANY THANKS for any help!

1. Enemies will be level 20+
2. Loot will be level 20+
3. Because he's in your game, you don't have to actively do anything as the level 5 player to reap the rewards from the level 20's work.
--
1. No
2. The level 20 person gets his normal XP + having a second person in the game with them, the level 5 player gets the same XP as the level 20 player.
3. You'll both get the reward for the quest, note that whatever one person chooses the other person will get. So if the level 5 guy takes the shotgun quest reward, that's what you'll get as well even if you wanted the pistol.

A. It depends on who you group up with, if you play with friends you don't stand to lose much if you guys are considerate and share loot, if you're playing with randoms, you might not get the kind of gear you'd like since dropped loot is free for all.
B. Just talk to your teammate and let them know you want to explore the area to find all the cool hidden things. But for the most part you probably won't miss out on anything worthwhile.

arimanius

2. The level 20 person gets his normal XP + having a second person in the game with them, the level 5 player gets the same XP as the level 20 player.

I have a question about this. I had a friend who's 40 join my game when I was 36. I got to 39 before he got to 41. Then the next day he joined my game again and I got to 41 while he gained no levels.

Do the hosts get more xp?

edit* We are going to test by me joining his game next time to see if the reverse holds true.

Oh just realized I can farm anarchy off of the firing range target. Makes me feel better about deciding to quit, only to start back up again.

/MindBlown

L0GIKILL

Neo Member
1. Enemies will be level 20+
2. Loot will be level 20+
3. Because he's in your game, you don't have to actively do anything as the level 5 player to reap the rewards from the level 20's work.
--
1. No
3. You'll both get the reward for the quest, note that whatever one person chooses the other person will get. So if the level 5 guy takes the shotgun quest reward, that's what you'll get as well even if you wanted the pistol.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

If my friend and I are both level 11s and play in the same game, do I ultimately lose half of my potential XP if he kills half of the enemies at every encounter?

For example if here are 10 enemies to kill and they all yield 10 xp each for a potential of 100 xp. do we each get 10 xp per individual kill? OR do we both get the full 100xp just for being there?

(Sorry of that doesnt make any sense)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you for taking the time to answer.

If my friend and I are both level 11s and play in the same game, do I ultimately lose half of my potential XP if he kills half of the enemies at every encounter?

For example if here are 10 enemies to kill and they all yield 10 xp each for a potential of 100 xp. do we each get 10 xp per individual kill? OR do we both get the full 100xp just for being there?

(Sorry of that doesnt make any sense)

Short version: AFAIK everybody gets the amount of experience they would have gotten for killing every enemy whether they actually kill it or not.

Slightly more detail: The level 5 player doesn't exactly get the same XP as the level 20 player as that guy said; for instance, if a solo level 50 character kills a level 20 mob they may get 1 XP for it but a solo level 5 character that kills a level 20 mob would get a ton. Thus, if a level 50 is playing with a level 5 and the level 50 player kills a level 20 mob the level 50 would get 1 xp and the level 20 would get a ton.

In your example, even if one of the players is AFK while the other goes and kills all 10 enemies both players would get 100xp. Those same enemies that give 10 XP, though, may only give 5 XP to a level 15 player and give 20 XP to a level 5 player, so in THAT case once all 10 are dead the level 5 player would have earned 200 XP while the level 15 player would only have earned 50 (again, no matter who does the actual killing).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Finally reached Tiny Tina on my first run of the game with some friends- who the fuck thought this was a good idea for a character? When I wasn't cringing from how painful it was, I just wanted to put a bullet in her head to just stop her dialogue.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Finally reached Tiny Tina on my first run of the game with some friends- who the fuck thought this was a good idea for a character? When I wasn't cringing from how painful it was, I just wanted to put a bullet in her head to just stop her dialogue.

You're a terrible person.

I was very skeptical of Tiny Tina because more often than not those characters are done with cringe-worthy incompetence. The writer and voice actress knocked it out of the park.

L0GIKILL

Neo Member
Short version: AFAIK everybody gets the amount of experience they would have gotten for killing every enemy whether they actually kill it or not.

Slightly more detail: The level 5 player doesn't exactly get the same XP as the level 20 player as that guy said; for instance, if a solo level 50 character kills a level 20 mob they may get 1 XP for it but a solo level 5 character that kills a level 20 mob would get a ton. Thus, if a level 50 is playing with a level 5 and the level 50 player kills a level 20 mob the level 50 would get 1 xp and the level 20 would get a ton.

In your example, even if one of the players is AFK while the other goes and kills all 10 enemies both players would get 100xp. Those same enemies that give 10 XP, though, may only give 5 XP to a level 15 player and give 20 XP to a level 5 player, so in THAT case once all 10 are dead the level 5 player would have earned 200 XP while the level 15 player would only have earned 50 (again, no matter who does the actual killing).

That makes sense, what happens if the level 50 kills all of the mob, and the lefel 5 kills no one? Thank you!

I have a question about this. I had a friend who's 40 join my game when I was 36. I got to 39 before he got to 41. Then the next day he joined my game again and I got to 41 while he gained no levels.

Do the hosts get more xp?

He's getting the amount of XP that a level 39 character would get (actually slightly less XP) since you're the host the game is set at level 39, so it'll take him longer to level than you. As an example, if you joined a level 50 game, then that means he's fighting level 50 mobs and you're going to be getting the XP amount as if you were level 50 as well (read: a shit ton). If a level 50 joined your game he would get absolute crap XP while you got your normal amount.

It's always better to join a higher level game than it is for a high level to join your game.

You evil, evil man. TT is the only character in that game that I actually thought was very well done, simply because all the other characters take their ridiculous, over-the-top world seriously. Tiny Tina is just goofy and fun. I loved every second of her.

arimanius

I love Tiny Tina and actually like Gaige because she kinda reminds me a little of her.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member

Horrible, horrible character.

I just got there last night while doing 4-player for the first time via system link. We have a mechromancer and a soldier, and between the mech's robot and the soldier's turret, I can't even tell what the hell is going on half the time. I'm playing as zero (was gunzerker for my first playthrough), and he seems worthless in team fights.

Horrible, horrible character.

I just got there last night while doing 4-player for the first time via system link. We have a mechromancer and a soldier, and between the mech's robot and the soldier's turret, I can't even tell what the hell is going on half the time. I'm playing as zero (was gunzerker for my first playthrough), and he seems worthless in team fights.

Which tree are you using?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The writing for the Siren from the first game was pretty painful too. I just kinda tuned her out after a while in her questline.

What happened Gearbox? I don't remember Borderlands 1 making me feel this way.

Lima

Because Borderlands 1 didn't have any form of decent dialog to begin with?

They stepped it up big time especially with Jack.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Was just watching a video on youtube on how to summon up verm and the only thing i could think about for most of the video was the fact that the guy recording got hung up about 20 times on the SAME PIECE of geometry in the varkid farm area. Like ... everytime he is running by this one rock he hugs it and comes up to this weird plant thing that has blocked his jump and gotten him stuck and sure enough killed about 15 times and I keep saying in my head... "he'll get it this time. I know he isn't looking right at it but he had to know it's there!!" ... only to see him get stuck and die again .. and again.

I can't be the only person that makes a little spacial awareness mental map of where i'm fighting while i'm playing these games... right? I almost want to start a thread on this as many of my friends are guilty of this same thing. It translates to the real world so well (knowing your cities streets by memory and such) that to just make the same mistake in MOVEMENT so many times just bugs the hell out of me...

anyways... I'm tired of farming this bitch ass sheriff/zafford ... anyone with a lvl50 Law/lvl50 Maggie they would be willing to trade for either class mods or a small selection of other 50 legendary gear (mostly rocket launchers, a few tediore assault rifles and one tediore pistol i never use...)

HoosTrax

The voice actor choice for Brick...just...why?? It was like the VAs for Roland and Brick got their scripts mixed up.

And casting the VA who played War Mage from Orcs Must Die! to play Axton made the character really hard to like.

Edit: I did really like a lot of the NPC enemy voice overs though, especially the Buzzard pilots ("Tora! Tora! Tora!" and humming "Ride of the Valkyries") and the Hyperion engies.

Did they even have a writer for the first game? I can't remember any characters except for the crazy chick and she wasn't too bad. And I am perfectly ok with not remembering any characters too.

WritingEdit

Matt Armstrong - Writer
Allison Berryman - Writer
Simon Hurley - Writer
Kristy Junio - Writer
Mikey Neumanm - Writer
Randy Pitchford - Writer
Keith Schuler - Writer

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Borderlands_Development_Team

I'm not sure but I thought Mikey Neumanm did most of it.

The one on the left because I'm trying to get crit damage up. I'm only level 15 so I haven't had many points to distribute yet.

I had better success with the bloodshed (melee) tree than the sniper tree at that level. The extra damage on low-health enemies, in particular, is useful for 4-player groups where enemies trickle down to 0% rather than jumping from 70% to 0% from a crit. Slag weapons/grenades are very good for melee builds, as well.

Da fuck? Tiny Tina was fucking awesome. It's not even an opinion, she just was.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I had better success with the bloodshed (melee) tree than the sniper tree at that level. The extra damage on low-health enemies, in particular, is useful for 4-player groups where enemies trickle down to 0% rather than jumping from 70% to 0% from a crit. Slag weapons/grenades are very good for melee builds, as well.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I didn't have much time to peruse the skills with everyone running off to the next mission constantly.

I couldn't stand claptrap in BL2, dude called me minion way too much. I seriously felt like dude was going to drop the N-bomb at some point. I was like waaaaaait for it!

Though I did laugh near the end and he had to open the door for you while you fought off swarms of enemies.

Coconut

Banned
I couldn't stand claptrap in BL2, dude called me minion way too much. I seriously felt like dude was going to drop the N-bomb at some point. I was like waaaaaait for it!

Though I did laugh near the end and he had to open the door for you while you fought off swarms of enemies.

Wat are you talking about?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

WAT

Jezbollah

I love Tiny Tina. Mind you my best friend's 12 year old daughter has got similar mannerisms (not including bomb-making, thankfully) so I was reminded about her with Tina's dialogue. Made me smile.

It's a game at the end of the day. It's not Oscar-aspiring stuff.

my siren glitched out during the battle arena thing at Ore Chasm. her phaselock was shown as activated the whole time, as a result i couldnt activate my skills during the fight. also caused my cloud kill to not activate. it was a painful fight

had to quit the game to get it fixed.

ckohler

I laughed at Tiny Tina because she's just so free-spirited and fun. I can't remember the last time there was an early-teen character in a video game that was actually cool and memorable. She's clearly a zany caricature of a child run amok on a planet full of crazed bandits; walking the line between child and adult.

Of course, once you learn her backstory, it adds a bit more dimension to her behavior
She wasn't always a crazed lunatic.

The only thing that bothered me about her is that she used so much slang that we currently use on Earth in 2012 but then again, the entire game's dialog is tongue-in-cheek. There are robots who say "Fire'in my lazor!" after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom