• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Thank God. The YT-guy is so incompetent it's not even funny.

Btw is this PC+Xbox controller or Xbox version? Because X360 already leaked to the net but PC didn't. If PC version he's a press guy or something?
That's the X360 version.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The 360 version leaks before the PC....

That's kinda ironic.

Not since devs smartened up and started pre-loading type services where you're missing essential data prior to launch. It's smart and at least curves piracy a little. It does frustrate me that some who are playing it are doing it illegally while those of us legit customers are waiting.

Eideka

Banned
That always happens though doesn't it?

I don't remember many games leaking on 360 first. Care to give examples ?

And I also heard that some Steam games are hacked before their release, supposedly it's fairly rare but it happens.
I would be curious to know if Steam really curbs the piracy rate on PC. I can't find any data nor comments from pusblishers. :(

Derrick01

Banned

And I also heard that some Steam games are hacked before their release, supposedly it's fairly rare but it happens.
I would be curious to know if Steam really curbs the piracy rate on PC. I can't find any data nor comments from pusblishers. :(

Seems like almost every AAA game leaks a week or two early on 360 whereas most don't on PC anymore thanks to steamworks. Piracy post-release is probably still higher on PC but Steam at least put a clamp down on pre-release piracy. I'm not sure how the situation is for non steamworks games like ubisoft titles.

Eideka

Banned
Pretty much every game released this year

o_O

I can't believe this.

Seems like almost every AAA game leaks a week or two early on 360 whereas most don't on PC anymore thanks to steamworks. Piracy post-release is probably still higher on PC but Steam at least put a clamp down on pre-release piracy. I'm not sure how the situation is for non steamworks games like ubisoft titles.
Ubi Soft titles are heavily pirated according to Guillemot, their magical DRM must not have improved the situation apparently...Glad they tone it down.

Regarding Steamworks it must be effective if so many publishers side with it. But yes I do not think there is any question that piracy is still way more rampant on PC than it is on consoles.

Whatever, I don't want to derail the thread.

Not since devs smartened up and started pre-loading type services where you're missing essential data prior to launch. It's smart and at least curves piracy a little. It does frustrate me that some who are playing it are doing it illegally while those of us legit customers are waiting.

It happens all the time with multi-platform releases, especially on 360. I just hope next-gen, security on consoles makes it so that it curbstomps hackers, but they always find ways. It took them a while to crack the PS3, so I guess Sony had the right idea.

o_O

I can't believe this.

Yep.

Lol, I don't even keep track anymore but yeah A LOT do.

Mupod

Erm, 360 games have been leaking first consistently for years. Gears of War 2 being a famous example, but it was happening before that. Basically every big release - they don't have to crack anything so all they need to do is find a copy of the game.

Steamworks has been pretty effective. I've barely been paying attention to this stuff lately so all I really know is that Deus Ex took a while. I think Skyrim was cracked before release, but the 360 version was out before that too.

Randdalf

Are there any good videos of the PC user interface yet? I saw it briefly during that stream yesterday, but no real extended shots.

Yeah, the 360 has been blown wide open by hard mods, and with Steam successfully clamping down on pre-release piracy this means that the 360 has become the format of choice for leaked copies.

Are there any good videos of the PC user interface yet? I saw it briefly during that stream yesterday, but no real extended shots.

How about some screens?

UyCQC.jpg

pxMMd.jpg

Has their been any reports about how well the game runs with Physx on high ?

Watch the Newegg video linked a while back, they were running it on high with a 660 Ti I believe

Depending on how many effects there were, it varied from 30 FPS to 100 FPS

Unknown what other settings they were using.

Wag

No PhysX effects option for ATI cards eh? You should be able to run it in low in software mode at least...

Eideka

Banned
Watch the Newegg video linked a while back, they were running it on high with a 660 Ti I believe
Depending on how many effects there were, it varied from 30 FPS to 100 FPS
Unknown what other settings they were using.

Well, that's good news.

Hopefully my GTX 570 is up for the task.

derFeef

No PhysX effects option for ATI cards eh? You should be able to run it in low in software mode at least...

It will be like every game with that stuff, you have the option but it will run worse because it will be in software mode, even though it would be possible to run via AMD hardware. Exclusive crap.

Wag

It will be like every game with that stuff, you have the option but it will run worse because it will be in software mode, even though it would be possible to run via AMD hardware. Exclusive crap.
From what I've read there are no PhysX options at all for non-nVidia cards. In some games (like Metro 2033, Batman series, etc) you have the option to run PhysX in software.

Eideka

Banned
But aren't developpers allowed to make Physx run on the CPU instead ? Just in case where a non Nvidia GPU is detected.

I heard that a reasonably powerful CPU is enough to run these Physx effects.

From what I've read there are no PhysX options at all for non-nVidia cards. In some games (like Metro 2033, Batman series, etc) you have the option to run PhysX in software.

He says in the Newegg video something along the lines of 'PhysX being set to low' as 'PhysX being off'.

Megasoum

Banned
I watched the NewEgg Physx video...ugh... It's really a perfect example for the "too much of a good thing" saying.

I like the idea of physx stuff but there's just WAY too many. It's like they want to justify themselves so they add 3x too many sparks everywhere. At that point it's just good for killing performances. I wish we could choose specifics effects we want.

For example, I'd be happy to get the cloth stuff and maybe the liquid if pc can run it at a good fps (gtx570) but I don't care for the thousands of sparks everytime I shoot something.

Jo-El

I watched the NewEgg Physx video...ugh... It's really a perfect example for the "too much of a good thing" saying.

I like the idea of physx stuff but there's just WAY too many. It's like they want to justify themselves so they add 3x too many sparks everywhere. At that point it's just good for killing performances. I wish we could choose specifics effects we want.

For example, I'd be happy to get the cloth stuff and maybe the liquid if pc can run it at a good fps (gtx570) but I don't care for the thousands of sparks everytime I shoot something.

I'm the opposite. I want the sparks(maybe toned down a bit) but don't care about the liquid and cloth. :p

Hopefully there will be a way to tweak it to get only the effects we want.

derFeef

Most of those PhysX stuff looks off, yeah. Too much, too floaty, just in once particular place etc. Glad its not more popular.

Eideka

Banned

But if you can run all those effects will you complain ? ;)

Wag

He says in the Newegg video something along the lines of 'PhysX being set to low' as 'PhysX being off'.
Well, the game uses PhysX libraries so of course it's going to be set to "low" without those particle effects options. Just that a few PC games give you the option to run PhysX particle effects in software as well as hardware. There really is no need to lock it into hardware only (other than to make it a nVidia exclusive deal that is).

Bollocks

I never played borderlands but so far from what I read it looks promising. First person shooter, upgrades like a traditional RPG and the best of all coop. Maybe I'll install borderlands 1 that I got thanks to PlayStation plus to check it out. But I'm hesitant because I don't have much time and with re6 right around the corner I doubt I'll finish it right in time. Also by now why not jump straight to borderlands 2?

I never played borderlands but so far from what I read it looks promising. First person shooter, upgrades like a traditional RPG and the best of all coop. Maybe I'll install borderlands 1 that I got thanks to PlayStation plus to check it out. But I'm hesitant because I don't have much time and with re6 right around the corner I doubt I'll finish it right in time. Also by now why not jump straight to borderlands 2?
Just jump in to 2. Nothing story wise is to do with the original (or very little) and if you love it, yu could go back.
Just watch the character creation thing with ign and randg pitchford, i realised 2 things.
1, randy is awesome and 2, i want to play as every class. A decision is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom