• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggs

Banned
Anybody post one of these yet?

ukv5T.jpg

Giveaway at the door at a Gearbox event in Dallas over the weekend.

This is my exact mouse w/ a BL2 skin on it!! I love it.

Double D

I have this game coming on Tuesday and I don't even care. Does anyone else feel this way? Borderlands is a good game (I just started it a few weeks ago), but it's not great. I feel like this series is just massively overhyped.

lol. This is the first game I've ever pre-ordered on PC. First time pre-loading on Steam and everything.

Derrick01

Banned
I have this game coming on Tuesday and I don't even care. Does anyone else feel this way? Borderlands is a good game (I just started it a few weeks ago), but it's not great. I feel like this series is just massively overhyped.

I'm not expecting anything more than a solid experience because the main draw of the game is co-op. The quests and loot system is going to have to be massively improved for me to care that much about it, because otherwise I'm just playing a MMO FPS in single player mode like I did with 1.

Mupod

I honestly didn't care at all about this game a week ago, I liked the first enough to finish it but didn't really think it was that great (I was solo, so yeah that's probably why). And yet now I'm sucked into the hype, watched all kinds of streams and spent way too much time with the skill calculator. I blame Greenman and those delicious vouchers.

Izayoi

Banned
You only get the free class/bonus items if you preorder a physical copy from Gamestop, Amazon or Best Buy. I have a preorder in at the MS store and it wouldn't be eligible for the "Premiere Club."
Huh? I got the Premiere Club and I pre-ordered on Steam...

kmfdmpig

I'm the opposite. I haven't looked forward to a game this much in years. I bought the first one on a whim as part of a buy two get one free package and it became one of my favorite games this gen as my wife and I played it co-op a ton.

nbraun80

I'm not expecting anything more than a solid experience because the main draw of the game is co-op. The quests and loot system is going to have to be massively improved for me to care that much about it, because otherwise I'm just playing a MMO FPS in single player mode like I did with 1.
Exactly, if he's playing single player I can understand why there's no hype. I've only played 1 with 3 friends, and we've all got BL2 preordered and ready to play tomorrow night. I'm super hyped because it's such a fun experience in co-op, but I could understand why someone who plays solo might not be hyped. I would suggest at least trying to matchmake to find at least one good person to play with.

Remmy2112

Anybody post one of these yet?

ukv5T.jpg

Giveaway at the door at a Gearbox event in Dallas over the weekend.

Git'chu one! I got mine from the community day event. It is pretty nice, though I have a spare g500 I'm using while my Cyborg R.A.T. 7 is being RMAed, so my brother is using the Borderlands 2 mouse.

I think it would have been funny for them to award a replica of their humping squirrels statue from their office as one of the raffle prizes.

Teknoman

Much like Left 4 Dead, Borderlands is always at its best with 4 people. Hopefully it'll be as easy as looking at the steam gaf group, and starting up a game.

Chicago Steam servers are fucking shit at the moment for some reason. I was hitting 0 kbps and topping out at like 10. Just switched to St. Louis and I'm getting almost 2MBps. Fucking weird.

It's almost time.

Alex

Borderlands is one of the very few loot games I feel actually works very well solo as well, but I mostly play in a duo.

I like the trailers for the gun makers, more personality this go around. Vladof, VLADOF, VLADOF!!!!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Does anyone know how the item drop rate scaled in Co-Op for Borderlands? I'm surprised I haven't found something on it.

Also how the +Find Rare Items mod worked, if at all.

Meier

Steam preorders aren't applicable towards the premiere club? They were certainly advertising it as such. I suppose that would explain why I haven't seen any mention of that content after I bought and pre-loaded though. Man if that's true, I'm pissed.

I mentioned physical copy for a reason... if you are getting this for the 360 or PS3 in the US, there are only 3 retailers that you get the preorder bonuses from.

Man...I still have flashbacks from the first time I finished the Armory with my friend... We were running around like two kids on christmas morning with all the chests. When the countdown went low we decided to find the exit. It went a bit like that...

-All right so where's the exit?
-Must be down that shaft
-Yeah ok let's go then, only 10 sec left
Both dudes jump down the elevator shaft
-Oh FUCK this is NOT the exit
-No.....but IT'S EVEN MORE LOOOOOTTTT

And then proceed to run around and open chests until we both dies hahahaha... We still talk about it from time to time when we talk about Blands lol.

There's a weird invisible gap in the floor leading to the control panel where the dynamite is place, I killed myself with a missle launcher before I placed the dynamite because I thought I could get to the loot boxes behind the barriers and somehow accidentily missed my chance..well after respawning, I realized I could not, and worse, i couldn't get back in to reach the control panel, ran around and fell through the floor, then crouch walled UNDER the floor in one direction, then back, then fell through blackness..then suddenly I was in a room full of lootchests and a timer that wasn't moving. I spent an hour there, looting, dying, selling expensive loot, rinsing and repeating the glitch (easter egg?) I ended up not being able to get back in to actually finish the quest, but I didn't care. I was filthy rich.

Doorman

Huh? I got the Premiere Club and I pre-ordered on Steam...

How did you confirm that, exactly? I got the game preordered and pre-loaded but there doesn't seem to be an overt mention anywhere that I'll have access to the premiere club content. I've never been part of a promotion like this, so I don't know if it's something that will just be there already when I can first boot the game up, or what.

jediyoshi

How did you confirm that, exactly? I got the game preordered and pre-loaded but there doesn't seem to be an overt mention anywhere that I'll have access to the premiere club content. I've never been part of a promotion like this, so I don't know if it's something that will just be there already when I can first boot the game up, or what.

Top right of steam window click on account -> account details. May say something along the lines of 'Borderlands 2 Game and Premier Club DLC WW'. Can depend on where you ordered it for what it says exactly.

Razek

Banned
There's a weird invisible gap in the floor leading to the control panel where the dynamite is place, I killed myself with a missle launcher before I placed the dynamite because I thought I could get to the loot boxes behind the barriers and somehow accidentily missed my chance..well after respawning, I realized I could not, and worse, i couldn't get back in to reach the control panel, ran around and fell through the floor, then crouch walled UNDER the floor in one direction, then back, then fell through blackness..then suddenly I was in a room full of lootchests and a timer that wasn't moving. I spent an hour there, looting, dying, selling expensive loot, rinsing and repeating the glitch (easter egg?) I ended up not being able to get back in to actually finish the quest, but I didn't care. I was filthy rich.

This was the best part of the game. I don't even consider it a glitch because 99% of the stuff you get in knoxx is crap anyways. It takes at least a few runs before you even get anything decent. I wish they just let you do this in the new game too.

The whole first game was about getting to knoxx! It's all about the armory so you could set yourself up for round 2! We generally skipped out on the last 1/4 of the regular world and just jumped to Knoxx for the good stuff. Best DLC ever. Period.

Mengs, how exactly does the co-op work? And will I have a shit one if I opt to not co-op?

I have maybe 30-40 friends on Live and of the 3 that are actually my friends, 0 will play this game. I never partake in the co-op aspects of any game; it just isn't my bag. I'm afraid that the very nature of this game means that it somewhat relies on the whole, 'teaming up with your best bros and having a riot of a time' thing. Is it engaging enough for a pure, unadulterated LONER approach?

Doorman

Where'd you preorder? If it was from either GMG or Steam, you're golden.

It was directly from Steam, so I'm not too terribly concerned yet, but I've seen people posting other screens and stuff with much more overt acknowledgment that they were receiving the premiere content, so the utter lack of that after the purchase has me scratching my head a little.

Nelo Ice

Banned
It was directly from Steam, so I'm not too terribly concerned yet, but I've seen people posting other screens and stuff with much more overt acknowledgment that they were receiving the premiere content, so the utter lack of that after the purchase has me scratching my head a little.

It literally says on the Steam page you get the content.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/49520/

Afaik about the only PC DD preorders that aren't premiere club are the Nvidia vouchers.

Aesthet1c

I haven't pre-loaded games on Steam often, but isn't Steam kind of notorious for being late on unlocking games at the time they are supposed to unlock? Or am I thinking of something else...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
24 hours remain.

Random BL1 screenshot. LETS GO.

Haha, I'm reminded of when I left Borderlands running overnight during the MINAC boss battle so I could farm the Claptrap collectibles -- when I returned to the game 10 or so hours later, it was running at 10~15fps and had no sound. I got my collectibles, though!

Salsa

question: will I be able to play mp just fine if I do the vpn thing? not even sure if I would have to stay connected to it

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Just a few personal tips/notes before you embark on your final 24 hours!

I know lots of people want to play and just skip through the story as the story may not have been a huge role in the first game, but I highly encourage you listen to the dialogue. There isn't much mission text anymore and you won't need to sit there and read a page of text before going onto the next mission. That is all now presented to you in spoken dialogue. This brings up the new feature where you can move away from NPCs and they will pop up to your Echo box and continue on with what they are saying wherever you go, but make sure to listen, as the story is amazing. Anthony Burch, writer for Borderlands 2, knocked it out of the park. You guys will laugh as this is Borderlands and humor is always present in this universe but there are some very tense and serious moments as well.

So if you play co-op, take your time. It isn't a race and make sure to let your friends know that as well as some may attempt to speed through and interrupt dialogue with others as they run around hitting ever NPC. Don't let them :). The world is huge, explore all the nooks and crannies. The level design team did an amazing job in making sure to hide some fun things for you guys. Hit up all the side quests as you guys will get a freaking kick out of those.

Try to stay away from the spoilers on the internet. Make sure to enjoy it all and enjoy the moments you will experience.

Gearbox is the most passionate group of people I have ever worked with and I'm stoked that BL2 is finally coming out . We have barely scratched the surface with all the stuff we've shown to the press. You are in for a wild ride. Have fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom