• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearPawB

Banned
I've been playing the game for a few hours now; I'm at level 9. One huge technical problem I haven't heard mentioned is the limited FOV (if I'm using the term correctly). Basically the view is so 'zoomed in' that you have to constantly move your vision, so much so it made me sick. I tested the old borderlands and it was not as zoomed in, it's like it's claustrophobic.

I assume with the updated visuals they had to limit how much was on screen. It's not a problem in wide open areas but certainly is for me in anything else. I loved borderlands 1 and 2 so far is amazing. They actually added a good story and the events feel more scripted and you feel like you are actually apart of a world instead of a generic landscape.

I checked my xbox resolution and also display options but there was no option to zoom out, so to speak.

The FOV is a big problem for me, like I said it was making me sick. I don't normally play pc games but I'm going to buy on a pc. I assume my pc will be able to 'zoom out' and draw more on the screen.

edit:
I would also like to add that I have been playing on the xbox 360 version.

Are you playing on a couch/tv? Field of view shouldn't be a big deal if you are sitting further from your screen.

Yes I am playing on xbox. I tried on my 22 asus monitor and also on my 46 sony. I assumed, as well, that maybe I was just too close to the screen. It's the same no matter how far away I am. I wish there were identical scenes I could compare with 1, but like I said I tested 1 and it was not as zoomed in. I could only play for an hour or so and it just starts to make me sick and it's actually quite annoying.

Unicorn

BL1 was super zoomed in for me, I tried playing on PC the other day but had to stop. I had forgotten about it. I got accustomed to it after prolonged playing on Xbox, but if this is still the case (for consoles) I'll have some major adjusting to do, haha.

Darkgran

I've been playing the game for a few hours now; I'm at level 9. One huge technical problem I haven't heard mentioned is the limited FOV (if I'm using the term correctly). Basically the view is so 'zoomed in' that you have to constantly move your vision, so much so it made me sick. I tested the old borderlands and it was not as zoomed in, it's like it's claustrophobic.

I assume with the updated visuals they had to limit how much was on screen. It's not a problem in wide open areas but certainly is for me in anything else. I loved borderlands 1 and 2 so far is amazing. They actually added a good story and the events feel more scripted and you feel like you are actually apart of a world instead of a generic landscape.

I checked my xbox resolution and also display options but there was no option to zoom out, so to speak.

The FOV is a big problem for me, like I said it was making me sick. I don't normally play pc games but I'm going to buy on a pc. I assume my pc will be able to 'zoom out' and draw more on the screen.

edit:
I would also like to add that I have been playing on the xbox 360 version.

Crap.
That was the one thing that drove me crazy about the first game the FOV was way to close and if it is worse in this game that will suck...

Razek

Banned
Crap.
That was the one thing that drove me crazy about the first game the FOV was way to close and if it is worse in this game that will suck...

Yeah, that's pretty awful for the console version. It was like 60 or something super tiny in the first game and it's even smaller here? Jeez, were are looking through a pinhole.

Miletius

Preload complete now. I'm more excited for this game than I have been for a while. Maybe cause 2 of my friends said they are picking it up over the weekend, so I'll have some buddies to play with. Cheers!

You need to sit further from the screen to stop the sick feeling. It'll feel more natural from a distance. I remember watching some youtube video which explained this in depth.

I was sitting 8 feet away from a 46in tv, how much farther should I sit? The first borderlands did not induce feelings of sickness with the same setup, and I've never had this problem with any other game.

Razek

Banned
I'm kind of strange on this. Borderlands was probably my game of this generation and I know I'm excited, but for some reason I'm not really feelin' it. I think I need to finish black mesa so I can start getting hyped.

I remember the wait for Skyrim last year. I basically become useless for 2 weeks because I was thinking about that game constantly. Not so much this time, even though I know this game is going to be a more solid sequel.

Doorman

You only get the free class/bonus items if you preorder a physical copy from Gamestop, Amazon or Best Buy. I have a preorder in at the MS store and it wouldn't be eligible for the "Premiere Club."

Steam preorders aren't applicable towards the premiere club? They were certainly advertising it as such. I suppose that would explain why I haven't seen any mention of that content after I bought and pre-loaded though. Man if that's true, I'm pissed.

JdFoX187

Banned
Steam preorders aren't applicable towards the premiere club? They were certainly advertising it as such. I suppose that would explain why I haven't seen any mention of that content after I bought and pre-loaded though. Man if that's true, I'm pissed.

Pretty sure they are. There was a list floating around somewhere earlier. Steam and GMG are among them.

Riggs

Banned
Believe me if you pre ordered from steam you are fine.

Derrick01

Banned

Pretty much every major retailer and digital retailer gets the premiere club for preorders. It might even be every new copy period. The only exception I know of are the people who got the game free for buying a nvidia GPU.

Xarudace

Banned
I have this game coming on Tuesday and I don't even care. Does anyone else feel this way? Borderlands is a good game (I just started it a few weeks ago), but it's not great. I feel like this series is just massively overhyped.

Man, the wait is becoming unbearable!

This whole weekend, even though I have tons of games here, I just kept looking for BL2 vids, info and rfefreshing this thread :p

I want to play this game so much it's killing my mood to play other games, lol

EDIT - haha. The post above me and mine couldnt feel more different :)

-PXG-

I have this game coming on Tuesday and I don't even care. Does anyone else feel this way? Borderlands is a good game (I just started it a few weeks ago), but it's not great. I feel like this series is just massively overhyped.

Welp....pre-order canceled.

Enjoy your stay.

Razek

Banned

I'm not super excited, but no, this series is not overrated. Half of Gaf seems to hate this game and loves to make everyone know about it. It feels like FF12 to me. It's an amazing awesome game, but everyone hated it for whatever reason :/

Aggrotek

Man, the wait is becoming unbearable!

This whole weekend, even though I have tons of games here, I just kept looking for BL2 vids, info and rfefreshing this thread :p

I want to play this game so much it's killing my mood to play other games, lol

EDIT - haha. The post above me and mine couldnt feel more different :)

I know! I am so excited, glad I work tomorrow otherwise the wait would kill me.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?

It's the first major release of this fall so thats why theres alot of talk about it

I feel exactly the same way haha

I'm sure I'll play through it or whatnot; Only reason I got it was because at 37$ you can't really go wrong.

Riggs

Banned
No I cannot wait! I feel total opposite of this post lol.

BigDug13

I really, REALLY hate STEAM. It wants me to wait till October 26th and download the Japanese version even though I bought it on GMG and was told I could play it on the 18th. I could buy it on base close to the release date, but when I get it home to try to play it online, it will still say I'm in Japan and will disallow me to play the game online since it uses steamworks.

Lame. Guess I'm double dipping and getting the Xbox version so I can play it online.

I may still have to cancel my GMG purchase if I can't download the English language version of the game.

I feel the same way, really.

Probably because I don't have anyone to play with. :(

BigDug13

dont blame Steam for publisher-decided region locking

Never liked them to be honest. Halflife 2 I bought then couldn't play it on my Naval deployment because it required Steam connection to play.

And I blame the publisher for using them for online gameplay. Locking me out of online for a game, even if I purchase a hardcopy on the US Naval base, is stupid.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody post one of these yet?

ukv5T.jpg

Giveaway at the door at a Gearbox event in Dallas over the weekend.

witness

Can I preorder tomorrow and still get all the preorder bonuses at gamestop? Got the wife to finally cave in and let me get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom