• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting again for new page.

IF YOU ARE HAVING .NET FRAMEWORK RESTART PROBLEMS DO THIS:

hit restart later to stop the install loop

then this:

I just found a fix. Go into your borderlands 2 folder, then the binaries folder. Rename the Redist folder to anything else. It'll be fine after that.

or it will still try to install it again the next time you try to play the game (at least it did for me).

EDIT: Should work now without needing a fix. Mine did the install one more time, but didn't ask for a reboot after. No more trying to install it again when I restart the game either.

Derrick01

Banned
Been playing for almost an hour now, roughly max settings except for aa/af turned down a bit and physx on low. The game runs really great so I'll probably bump some of that up to see how far I can go, but bottom line is it looks and runs great.

Been playing for almost an hour now, roughly max settings except for aa/af turned down a bit and physx on low. The game runs really great so I'll probably bump some of that up to see how far I can go, but bottom line is it looks and runs great.

Throw us console gamers a bone and tell us how the actual game is. =)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I was surprised that we don't need to do HDD Install, or nowhere to find for ps3.

Also I noticed little lag during introduction movie, or it was done on purpose?

mug

Well Borderlands 2 broke my fucking computer. Windows will not load and I've checked all the hardware and everything is fine. I'm going to assume it has something to do with the .NET Framework bullshit.

After all that wait and this. Pretty bummed that I have to reinstall Windows in addition to losing my data...

Alex

Holy shit is this thing polished. This has to be one of the biggest leaps of pure production and quality of life improvements ive seen in a single sequel. Its like greased butter on PC, good stuff.

HoosTrax

I was kinda worried I might not be able to max out the settings on this game. Looks fantastic with the effects and it's still running buttery smooth on a 570 GTX @ 1920x1080 with all the bells and whistles on high. Gearbox REALLY outdid themselves.
Same specs here. The graphics settings defaulted to maxed out everything I think except for PhysX-low. Haven't needed to dial anything back so far.

But that UE3 texture pop lol...

Derrick01

Banned
Throw us console gamers a bone and tell us how the actual game is. =)

I guess I'm still in the tutorial areas and I've only done a couple basic quests but it plays like...Borderlands I guess you could say. There's not really anything different in the starting area except the badass/challenge system and I can see that getting addictive fast. It's basically the challenge system from Borderlands 1 but more useful this time and it's been given its own menu space instead of being forgotten left with the quests. I've already got 4 or 5 tokens and boosted some stats up slightly.

I don't know if it's just me or not but the shooting feels a bit tighter than the first game, which is a positive. I'm picking people off with the 360 pad easier than before.

sikkinixx

Got an hour in. Too tired to play more. Damn good so far. Guns feel just so much better than before. Weird since I was playing BL1 this morning so it's real fresh. Looks great. Runs smooth at 1080 on my 460GTX (low physx). Writing is funny. Snow is a nice change from desert.

Razek

Banned
Hmmm no idea what that might be if you say square shaped. Since all I remember is this.

This sucker right here:
AK-74u_Red_Dot_Sight_CoD4.png

Just goes to show how a guns 'feel' can outclass its stats. It's way worse than the ridiculous orange gun they give you at the start, but I can't say no to that red dot aiming!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
HOLY SHIT PHYSX ON HIGH HAS NO BEARING ON PERFORMANCE (AMD 6970 here). Unless I'm going to see some crazy stuff later I'm actually impressed by this.

And I love the main menu.

borderlands22012-09-1wwsui.png

Everything running maxed. So clean!

Nekrono

HOLY SHIT PHYSX ON HIGH HAS NO BEARING ON PERFORMANCE (AMD 6970 here). Unless I'm going to see some crazy stuff later I'm actually impressed by this.

And I love the main menu.

http://www.abload.de/img/borderlands22012-09-1wwsui.png[img]

Everything running maxed. So clean![/QUOTE]

Really? If Alice Madness Return was any reference, I was able to pull 60 FPS with Physx on Medium with a 2500k, High was too much for me, but this is good news!!! Turning High right now!

[quote="Hero_of_the_Day, post: 42258547"]How are people with AMD cards using PhysX? Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

You can always turn it on, in some games it rapes your PC but on others it's well optimized and uses your CPU, if you have a good one usually you can bring it up to Medium in some cases even to High.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Really? If Alice Madness Return was any reference, I was able to pull 60 FPS with Physx on Medium with a 2500k, High was too much for me, but this is good news!!! Turning High right now!

You can always turn it on, in some games it rapes your PC but on others it's well optimized and uses your CPU, if you have a good one usually you can bring it up to Medium in some cases even to High.

No PHYSX/LOW SETTING

borderlands22012-09-1tyusl.png

PHYSX ON/HIGH SETTING

borderlands22012-09-183u9g.png

2500k@4.8GHZ

TheExodu5

Banned
Guns feel much better than Borderlands 1. I like the fact that there's proper recoil.

One question though: why do some guns have more sway than others when iron sighting? It's not clear how much sway there will be until you try out the weapon...that makes purchasing weapons problematic.

Randomly for those talking about PC versus console sales, here's part one's first month of sales:

BORDERLANDS (360) 418,000
BORDERLANDS (PS3) 113,000
BORDERLANDS (PC) 15,000 (retail only)

Huh. Didn't know this. Weird.

HoosTrax

Randomly for those talking about PC versus console sales, here's part one's first month of sales:

BORDERLANDS (360) 418,000
BORDERLANDS (PS3) 113,000
BORDERLANDS (PC) 15,000
Does not include digital PC sales. The current number of simultaneous players shown on the Steam chart will easily disprove that.

38520771.png

Concurrent players right now. i.e. people who bought the game and are playing it instead of sleeping, downloading, fussing around with the .NET installer, posting on GAF etc

Well, it's not optimized at all that's for sure. It's fine in the beginning (60fps all time) but in the later areas of the game I'm getting 30fps (all maxed without PhysX) on a 670 OC'd ... and that's without any type of AA.

Razek

Banned
Wow, I need to turn Physx up if that's the case. Put me in the "AMD can do that?" club.

Guns feel much better than Borderlands 1. I like the fact that there's proper recoil.

One question though: why do some guns have more sway than others when iron sighting? It's not clear how much sway there will be until you try out the weapon...that makes purchasing weapons problematic.

I absolutely agree. I know I sound ridiculous in this thread, but I'm just so blown away by this. The guns are super tight in control. I feel like I'm in total control of all my actions. Everything is super snappy compared to the original game.

Well, it's not optimized at all that's for sure. It's fine in the beginning (60fps all time) but in the later areas of the game I'm getting 30fps (all maxed without PhysX) on a 670 OC'd ... and that's without any type of AA.

Sadly, this seems to be the flaw as of now. Guys, getting 60 at the menu and start means nothing. I'm dipping in the 40's in very large areas and I got locked 60's in the menu and first 40 minutes.

Derrick01

Banned
I like how you can zoom in on guns in your inventory or on stores and take screens with them. I mean you could always hit your steam screen key but it's nice that it offers a button on the controller to hit for big picture mode users.

A lot of those differences come down to manufacturers. Hyperions for instance get more stable as you shoot with them continuously. You just have to play with guns for a bit to figure out what perks you like and whether you can deal with the drawbacks.

jersoc

anyone? where are the healing kits in your inventory? am i fuckign blind or what? i don't see them nor a hotkey to heal

TheExodu5

Banned
A lot of those differences come down to manufacturers. Hyperions for instance get more stable as you shoot with them continuously. You just have to play with guns for a bit to figure out what perks you like and whether you can deal with the drawbacks.

Ahh okay...yeah it's a hyperion gun I was talking about. I was wondering why it was getting more stable after I kept firing...thought it was a bug.

buhdeh

Same specs here. The graphics settings defaulted to maxed out everything I think except for PhysX-low. Haven't needed to dial anything back so far.

But that UE3 texture pop lol...

Yeah got damn that pop-in is annoying. Am I imagining things or are the ammo boxes blurry when they first appear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom