• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
updated op with lots of reviews, metacritic stands at 88 pc / 90 360 / 91 ps3

reviewsfmsny.png

Metacritic Average:

360: 90
PS3: 91
PC: 88

Games Master UK: 95/100
"Bigger. Ballsier. Bullet-ier. Borderlands 2 is the antidote to stuffy military shooters. Even statistically poor weapons are fun to handle. Underlying physics of each weapon have
been massively improved - guns feel like they used to in Doom and Unreal. Trading gear is better. Gearbox have learnt how to turn off the brown palette in Microsoft Paint, leading
to BL2 being the prettiest game of 2012 to date. Increased verticality of the world. More varied missions. Even better humour. Improved story. 30+ hours main quest. A truly epic
game once sidequests/playthroughs/badass ranks/loot has been taken into account. Bonus (optional) objectives to missions and multiple outcomes. Solo play and co-op markedly
improved (with more populated environments and more seamless co-op.)"

Game Informer: 9.75/10
"Instead of taking the easy route, the studio has taken everything that impressed in the original and greatly enhanced it. From major bullet points like the story to smaller details
like the UI and inventory system. Borderlands 2 surpassed my expectations and stands as a prime example of how to knock a sequel out of the park. Throughout the game, the
dialogue and clever missions display a sense of humor on par with the best in the industry. All of the improvements would make for a standout title even if it were constricted to
single-player. Considering Gearbox has continued to put this franchise in a league of its own when it comes to co-op, it elevates the game to something more. With its unmatched
co-op gameplay, intense shootouts, addictive loot-collecting, expansive skill customization, hilarious dialogue, and insane level of replayability, Borderlands 2 is one of the most
rewarding gaming experiences of this console generation."

IGN: 9.0/10
"Borderlands 2 preserves the best parts of the franchise while also making numerous, much needed improvements to areas like narrative and class skill design. Additional visual
customization options would make it better, and the occasional technical issue takes away from the experience, but overall this is an excellent shooter no one even remotely
curious should overlook. Prepare to level. Prepare to loot. Prepare to get lost in the hilarious, bizarre and wonderful world of Pandora."

Playstation Universe: 95/100
"Borderlands 2 is by far a giant leap ahead compared to its predecessor, but it's also one of the greatest games to finish off this generation of consoles. You'll get lost under
enormous piles of loot, a good-enough story that's surpassed by side missions, and an absolutely hilarious cast of characters. This all comes together in a giant package of joy."

Play UK: 90/100
"Where Borderlands was 'sent out to die', Borderlands 2 has been sent out to kill. And it does just that. It will easily be one of the best games released all year and the more we
dream of that delicious four-player co-op, the more we think it's one of the top games this generation."

TheSixthAxis: 90/100
"A joyful experience, full of humour and character. It manages to walk the fine line between silly base humour and a more intelligent wit too, which is something almost unique
in videogames. With a narrative that expands on the original storyline in every conceivable way and so many ways to play, different characters to build and so much
cooperative fun to be had, it's hard to see a downside."

Playstation Official Magazine UK: 90/100
"Borderlands 2 is a top-class FPS that perfectly captures that 'shooting things is fun' rush into an endless cycle. The game it most reminds me of is Doom: it recreates that lost-in-
the-moment, circle-strafing intensity perfectly, so that you never get bored of it...If you're tired of brown military shooters and crying out for something different, then get involved –
this is one of the most imaginative and rewarding blasters of the year."

Giant Bomb: 80/100
"As someone who went into Borderlands 2 with a sickness that I thought only more Borderlands could cure, I'm left feeling like I didn't receive a full dose this time around."

Guardian: 100
"Pandora feels more like an actual place than a virtual battleground, thanks to Gearbox's attention to detail in this game...I mean, when was the last time you cared about the
name of any gun manufacturer in any shooter you played recently? Listen, I've played the heck out of the COD: MW titles, and I've used a TAR-21 more times than I care to
mention, but I couldn't tell you who manufactured it... The gun-makers in Borderlands 2 don't even exist, for goodness sake, and I'm already brand-loyal to one of them."

G4TV: 100
"Borderlands 2 is a better game than Borderlands in every imaginable way. Scoff at anyone who calls it a v1.5 update; this is really what a sequel should be. At the most basic
level, you've got the same great experience that the 2009 game offered, only with much more depth and variety."

Gametrailers: 92/100
"The story in Borderlands 2 is by far the biggest improvement. The humor and over-the-top style that was merely glimpsed in the first game are ever-present here. Strong
personalities drive the experience from beginning to end, whether it's Claptrap's sense of self-importance, Tiny Tina's hyperactivity, or Handsome Jack's spiteful annoyance."

Joystiq: 90/100
"Borderlands 2 is full of memorable moments and silly, crass folks – and if those silly, crass folks happen to be your friends, it's easily one of the best co-op experiences out
there, and one of the best games I've played all year."

Gamespot: 85/100
"Borderlands 2 doesn't reach far beyond its predecessor's scope, but it does do almost everything better. Additions, refinements, and fixes all combine to create an appreciably
improved experience, one that fully delivers on the promise of the first game. While Borderlands felt empty at times, this sequel is bursting with content and brimming with life,
making it an absolutely delightful way to spend hours and hours and hours of your free time."

GamesRadar: 80/100
"A fulfilling experience. The improvements to gunplay and customization take it further than its predecessor. Its story gives you enough hooks and motivators to want to see it
through to the end. Unfortunately, it may feel like a bit of a slog to get there, and you'll want to sort out exactly who's hosting that game between you and your online friends
very early on. However, with a well-balanced squad, there are few more pleasing experiences than taking down a gigantic robot constructor through four unique skillsets."

Eurogamer!
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-18-borderlands-2-review
9!

alba

Little is the new Big
Hi guys,

I'm really excited about Borderlands 2. So excited that I fly to NYC tomorrow to get my tattoo (won't go into details because last time I did the 'Gaf hivemind got very upset), those who followed it know what I mean.

In other news.

Quote me to enter Pandora

See you in Pandora, I'm Tvac897 on Steam. I won't be playing much this next week as I travel but plan on playing...ALOT when I get back. Hope to see you in game.

Cheers,
Tony

Awesome, make sure to share your tattoo with everyone once it's done ;)

red731

Anyone from Europe looking for another player for co-op?
I will get the game on Friday and I want to play with someone. Since none of my friends play this, I am looking here.
Am in Steam group and in docs file.
Here is my steam profile, add me, send me a message and lets shoot it up a notch on Friday!

Awaiting the tattoo picture too!

Smash88

Banned
Adam any word on what's going on with the PC version of Premiere Club?

Will we eventually get it? Do I have no start over to get it? What happens?

Anyone knows which key you use to trash/favorite items?

On a 360 controller you click the left stick. Seems like it is cut off when you use keyboard and mouse.
I don't think there's a key for it, you can faintly see a star and x icon to the right of the weapon icons that you can highlight and click.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition

EDGE 9! :)

http://www.edge-online.com/review/borderlands-2-review/2/

Adam any word on what's going on with the PC version of Premiere Club?

Will we eventually get it? Do I have no start over to get it? What happens?
Will look into it more tomorrow. I'm guessing keys are just slowly appearing attached to peoples accounts. Some people have restarted Steam and they just suddenly appear.

I found a sick SMG that causes explosive damage per ammo. You can imagine the chaos going on when I unload a clip with 30 bullets in it @_@

I hate you...

I remember reading on a review that the game was a blurry mess on PS3 and that's not true at all, while it's not the sharpest PS3 game out there, It looks so much better than the first. Pop-in has been an issue since the first game and is still there but that's not a big deal once you get used to it and accept that it will happen.

graywolf323

Will look into it more tomorrow. I'm guessing keys are just slowly appearing attached to peoples accounts. Some people have restarted Steam and they just suddenly appear.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but do you know if there is any way for us unfortunate souls who got the game through the Nvidia promo to get the Premiere Club?

Hi guys,

I'm really excited about Borderlands 2. So excited that I fly to NYC tomorrow to get my tattoo (won't go into details because last time I did the 'Gaf hivemind got very upset), those who followed it know what I mean.

In other news.

Quote me to enter Pandora

See you in Pandora, I'm Tvac897 on Steam. I won't be playing much this next week as I travel but plan on playing...ALOT when I get back. Hope to see you in game.

Cheers,
Tony

you wouldn't happen to have any Premiere Club codes to give away would you Tony? :(

Smash88

Banned
Apparently (on PC), we have to register the game from the main menu to be given the Gold Key. As for the other DLC, must be an issue on Steam's end, since it shows that I have purchased the Season Pass and the Premier Club, but I have yet to download them.

What do you mean register the game from the main menu? There is no way to "register" the game?

I think the (other) problem is it saying we have Premiere Club Access and that we need to download the DLC, yet nothing actually happens either in Steam or through the game's menus.

JordanKZ

Kinda disappointing that the old VPN unlock trick doesn't work as good as it used to. :(

Also... Is the premier club content ever going to be made available for people who didn't pre order? I own a 660ti, so I got the game free... But it doesn't come with any of the pre order bonuses and I kind of care about additional characters!

graywolf323

Kinda disappointing that the old VPN unlock trick doesn't work as good as it used to. :(

Also... Is the premier club content ever going to be made available for people who didn't pre order? I own a 660ti, so I got the game free... But it doesn't come with any of the pre order bonuses and I kind of care about additional characters!

the Mechromancer is going to come out sometime in October for $10 for non Premiere Club people I believe

Gotchaye

The game feels a lot slower to me, level-wise. I guess because it's longer but the level cap is the same. I just hit level 11, but feel like I'd be 15-20 in the original at this point.

Hey guys, I'm trying to unlock Borderlands 2 via VPN but having a difficult time doing so. I turn on Tunnelbear and start-up Steam, but it goes to download an update and fails, not allowing me to start Steam. I tried starting Steam with Tunnelbear turned off and I am not prompted to update. It runs just fine. I just cannot run via Tunnelbear. Any advice?

Punisher

Neo Member
Hey guys, I'm trying to unlock Borderlands 2 via VPN but having a difficult time doing so. I turn on Tunnelbear and start-up Steam, but it goes to download an update and fails, not allowing me to start Steam. I tried starting Steam with Tunnelbear turned off and I am not prompted to update. It runs just fine. I just cannot run via Tunnelbear. Any advice?

I've been using spotflux today for my VPN needs, very pleased with it. I actually just let steam pre-load the entire game with it. Speed maxed out at around 1,4 megabyte/sec.

It deleted my DNS settings on my network adapter though, had to put it back manually after closing spotflux. No biggie.

Had a funny experience in Borderlands, one of the mobs shouted "I am the one who knocks!" at me.

Breaking Bad reference I presume?

Ken

Steam is still giving me the 21st release date, which will be sad since the Gamestops here are selling the game already; people buying the PC versions from them will come home to locked out BL2. Sigh.

Holy shit is this thing polished. This has to be one of the biggest leaps of pure production and quality of life improvements ive seen in a single sequel. Its like greased butter on PC, good stuff.

Pretty much this.

Also.
My solo Zero is rockin' the Ninja Turtles skin so hard.

Hindle

Banned
Anyone up for co op? On the 360 version that is. Post your GT or PM me if anyone wants. My GT is Zero Empathy if you want to add that.

Nirran

Loving the game so far. I've just arrived in Sanctuary. Add me on steam - Nirran if interested in co-oping sometime. I'm currently a level 10 Gunzerker.

Spotflux fucked completely my internet connection, I had to restore the system. Now I'm downloading the game again -_-

Guess I'll be staying away from Spotflux. I'm not having much better luck with Tunnelbear. I'm going away on the weekend, so this might have to wait until I come back next week. :/

harrytang

Really wish the auto pickup worked better. Still having to hold X over crates for ammo and money. Sometimes even over ammo and money left behind from dead bodies. Oh well.

Anyone else feel like too many invisible walls? Maybe it's because zero so tall but always hitting my head or getting caught on things.

After playing zero to level 8 solo I think it's not what I'm looking for. Using deception but getting caught on things and knocked back by enemies constantly. Might do Salvador and run double Jakob's pistols. So badass.

JordanKZ

? Hoping to do this tonight after work. Is it just that you have to keep Steam in offline mode after unlocking?

No. You literally have to stick to the VPN. The second you come off and restart Steam, the game re-locks. I guess they fixed that old vulnerability.

Seriously. Fucking. Bull shit.

hey guys, I didn't download the DLC yet. Just went right in and played up to a rank of 7. Does the golden key come from said DLC?

I also assume the golden chest won't appear unless you have said key?

Punisher

Neo Member
No. You literally have to stick to the VPN. The second you come off and restart Steam, the game re-locks. I guess they fixed that old vulnerability.

Seriously. Fucking. Bull shit.

I don't have this problem, I just booted up the game in offline mode...

I put steam in offline mode whilst still on the vpn, disconnected, played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom