• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT2| You missed the Conference Call, next time don't Bee late.

Jezbollah

Deathtrap really isnt very good. I saw on Youtube a pretty good Mechromancer build focusing on electrical/shock damage with a bit of anarchy built in. Looked like great fun. Will post the link later.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I finally beat Jack yesterday for my first ever playthrough. Was a Siren around level 32 when I beat him (leveled up to 33 after the final fight). Got a ginormous lootsplosion that included a Conference Call, which I assume is a pretty good gun? Almost missed it too since it had lodged itself into part of the level's geometry and there was only a small orange line coming out of the floor.

So for TVHM, should I start it right away or should I try to level up some more? I don't really have many sidequests to do, but I'm planning to get the Season Pass when it goes on sale on XBL. Should I wait for that and do the quests to level up? Or will it be pointless since the DLC caps out at level 30 anyway?

Jezbollah

33 is an ok level to start TVHM. But be aware that it starts to get ball-breaking if you dont have good weapons (the Conference Call you have will help out a lot until you get near the late 30s). I would advise you to use some Shift keys if you feel that the weapons you have are not good enough for the mobs you will encounter.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Eugh that's what I was afraid of. Alright I'll give it a shot then, I also have like 18 Shift Keys saved up so hopefully that will be able to sustain me.

Also is it OK if I do the following "safe" quests to level up in TVHM? They're side quests that don't give out unique rewards, from what I understand, so they should be OK to do so long as they give me XP and help me level up, right?

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=197150

Playing as a bloodshed Zero and Deathtrap is always perfectly in the way when I go to Execute to keep my Deception streak going.

Cat Party

Eugh that's what I was afraid of. Alright I'll give it a shot then, I also have like 18 Shift Keys saved up so hopefully that will be able to sustain me.

Also is it OK if I do the following "safe" quests to level up in TVHM? They're side quests that don't give out unique rewards, from what I understand, so they should be OK to do so long as they give me XP and help me level up, right?

Right, if it is doesn't give a unique weapon, no sense in saving it.

And I would definitely use a few of those gold keys to get some gear once you get to Sanctuary again. I got a level 38 plasma caster smg that I used for a long time. You need a good shock weapon early on in TVHM. Shielded enemies are a lot tougher.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

And I would definitely use a few of those gold keys to get some gear once you get to Sanctuary again. I got a level 38 plasma caster smg that I used for a long time. You need a good shock weapon early on in TVHM. Shielded enemies are a lot tougher.

Good to know, thanks. I was hoping to save the gold keys but I guess there's no point since I have so many of them lol. I'll probably run the Circles of Slaughter before jumping into TVHM though to gain a bit of XP.

Good to know, thanks. I was hoping to save the gold keys but I guess there's no point since I have so many of them lol. I'll probably run the Circles of Slaughter before jumping into TVHM though to gain a bit of XP.

no point in saving those keys. opening the golden chest at lv50 is pointless. I use them from lvs 10-45.

Jrmint

How hard is that initial ice area in TVHM? Is it gonna be much harder than the final dungeon?

Also does the normal mode dlc really cap out at 30?

Cat Party

How hard is that initial ice area in TVHM? Is it gonna be much harder than the final dungeon?

Also does the normal mode dlc really cap out at 30?

I'm pretty sure about the level 30 cap in normal mode. I played it with a level 37 character and not one shred of loot was higher than 30 throughout the DLC.

As for the initial ice area in TVHM, it's not too bad. Flynt is really tough though. If you happen to have a good shock weapon, you'll do better. The enemies do vastly more damage than you'll be expecting, so you have to play more conservatively.

Beat the Torgue DLC (on PS3)...didn't get a "lootsplosion" as promised. Come to find out, there is an freaking glitch that prevents the loot from the vault from showing up after beating the final boss. What the f Gearbox? C'mon man!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure about the level 30 cap in normal mode. I played it with a level 37 character and not one shred of loot was higher than 30 throughout the DLC.

As for the initial ice area in TVHM, it's not too bad. Flynt is really tough though. If you happen to have a good shock weapon, you'll do better. The enemies do vastly more damage than you'll be expecting, so you have to play more conservatively.

Urghhh I had a ~1500 damage shock sniper rifle but I may have sold it after getting a 1500 damage slag sniper rifle off the final boss. I hope I didn't sell it...

Xevren

Shock build is pretty popular for mechro's, it's what I've used on mine for awhile. Super fun just shocking the hell out of everything.

ZeroCoin

Beat the Torgue DLC (on PS3)...didn't get a "lootsplosion" as promised. Come to find out, there is an freaking glitch that prevents the loot from the vault from showing up after beating the final boss. What the f Gearbox? C'mon man!

Don't feel too upset. The lootsplosion was pretty underwhelming. The best I saw from mine was a couple of purples, none of them were any good either.

So.

I'm feeling a wee bit underleveled at this point. I'm at level 44 going into the Where Angels Fear to Tread Bunk3r showdown. I literally *just* hit 44 and the mission is 46+. So the enemies should be 46-47 and the boss 48. That's too big a level difference IMO.

I've been skipping a lot of side missions because I want the quest rewards as level 50 rewards, but I don't know if there are enough side missions with just money rewards to get me even to level 45.

If anyone is in the 45-50 range and can help me out with a co-op effort, let me know. I just get the feeling bunk3r may be more than I can chew at this point.

FerranMG

So.

I'm feeling a wee bit underleveled at this point. I'm at level 44 going into the Where Angels Fear to Tread Bunk3r showdown. I literally *just* hit 44 and the mission is 46+. So the enemies should be 46-47 and the boss 48. That's too big a level difference IMO.

I've been skipping a lot of side missions because I want the quest rewards as level 50 rewards, but I don't know if there are enough side missions with just money rewards to get me even to level 45.

If anyone is in the 45-50 range and can help me out with a co-op effort, let me know. I just get the feeling bunk3r may be more than I can chew at this point.

I did the same as you (skipping side missions with weapon rewards in TVHM), but feel free to do some of them if you need it, because many of the reward weapons at lvl 50 are not nearly as good as some legendery weapons you can find.
If you remember that a side quest gave you a shitty weapon or shield, do it now and don't look back.

About Bnk3r, if you stay mostly in the lower floor (you know, not up in the open, but in the "hallway" that surrounds the platform), it's very easy to hit Bnk3r, and it's very difficult for it to hit you.
I think I fought it when I was so underleveled that, once it started attacking me with the laser beam, it would kill me with just one hit. And still managed to kill it pretty easily.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So.

As I mentioned earlier, there is a list of "safe" missions that only reward you with cash, eridium, or green weapons. This is the list:

I started my TVHM run yesterday and have been running these missions since I'd rather not be underleveled for some of the bosses I'm going to fight. As for Bunk3r, I spent most of my time in PT1 in that little fountain area with the roof. I could easily pop out to take potshots at it, and it was very hard for it to hit me with anything. Also most robots couldn't pathfind their way toward me so I didn't have to deal with lots of adds.

JJD

Guys is the DLC good? I'm thinking of buying the season pass, but maybe I should just buy DLC individually. Any word of advice?

If I'm planning to solo the game, on which stats should I use the badass tokens?

Thanks for the help!

Xevren

Guys is the DLC good? I'm thinking of buying the season pass, but maybe I should just buy DLC individually. Any word of advice?

If I'm planning to solo the game, on which stats should I use the badass tokens?

Thanks for the help!

For badass tokens it doesn't matter, you won't have a choice but to spend it on everything as time goes on anyway.

If you're on 360 and wanting the season pass, may want to wait until the 27th because the season pass looks to be going on a discount that day.

ZeroCoin

Thanks for the help!

The DLC is decent. I like the Torgue DLC a lot more because of the humor and the missions were more enjoyable to me. On the other hand, I thought the Torgue DLC was absolutely terrible for loot purposes, which if you are already level 50, is all that really matters. If you are playing on the 360, I would tell you to wait until the rumored season pass sale on the 27th. I think the main game is so good that you absolutely don't need to buy the dlc to have a good time. If I could do it all over again, I would probably have waited for a season pass sale, or individual pack sale to pick up the interesting content after a few months time.

As for the badass tokens, the obvious stuff is probably the best. More gun damage, more health, and better shield stats. Other than that, you just need to tailor it to your playstyle. No point in grabbing melee damage bonuses if you never use melee. Something to remember though, the bonuses that appear as your choices are weighted against how many points you have invested in particular skills. For example, I started a melee zero so I neglected putting badass points into grenade damage, and the elemental effect bonuses. Eventually I got to a point where every time I ranked up both of the elemental effect bonuses, grenade damage, and another bonus I never invested in always appeared. The game basically forces you to spread your points around to some degree.

JJD

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm on the PS3 but I think I'll wait a bit to see if Sony offers some kind of discount on the season pass! Unfortunately most PSN sales suck, so I doubt I'll get any BL2 discounts... :-(

madhtr

Once you hit level 50, and you're fighting enemies from levels 48-52, this game loses a lot of its fun factor. Gaining XP is not necessary, which makes the stupidly hard battles useless. The worst part is that it seems the higher level the enemies, the less loot they drop, which is weird. Maybe it's just me, not sure.

I'm almost completed slogging through TVHM, though. Just reached Hero's Pass. One of my biggest problems is that I never got any of the good drops, like the CC, so the weapons I have aren't making the game any easier.

Anyways, sorry for the whine-fest.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Once you hit level 50, and you're fighting enemies from levels 48-52, this game loses a lot of its fun factor. Gaining XP is not necessary, which makes the stupidly hard battles useless. The worst part is that it seems the higher level the enemies, the less loot they drop, which is weird. Maybe it's just me, not sure.

I'm almost completed slogging through TVHM, though. Just reached Hero's Pass. One of my biggest problems is that I never got any of the good drops, like the CC, so the weapons I have aren't making the game any easier.

Anyways, sorry for the whine-fest.

I must have gotten lucky, I beat the game two days ago on PT1 and the CC dropped for me, so it'll at least make the early part of my TVHM run manageable.

Hammerlock's Hunt first image released, not gameplay:

borderlands2sirhammerlock.jpg

Pitchford twitter has some Golden Key codes:

PS3: WTK33-HFR53-JWKKT-SJCB3-CZ3X3
PC: KJCJ3-XKJKK-5XBBJ-TBTBB-W9HZH
X360: K3CBJ-3WBTF-F96J6-WF33B-KJS5W

I hope we get some Holiday-themed skins like Halloween :) Judging from that image, I also hope Jakobs weapons have a strong presence in this upcoming DLC.

I'm fine with them leaving the level cap alone... especially since the amount of "points" to allocate seems fairly deliberate. I wouldn't be surprised if they went with a "prestige"-style system where you can reset your character level and gain, say, 5 badass points or something. Or go with the Diablo 3 route (I forget exactly how it works, but it involves resetting, I believe)

so i was victim of the badass rank loss glitch, reloaded my game for the first time in a month and received almost all my points back, 99(!) badass tokens, 11(!!!!!!) golden keys when I only had 2.

I said thank you gearbox and kept playing.

madhtr

I must have gotten lucky, I beat the game two days ago on PT1 and the CC dropped for me, so it'll at least make the early part of my TVHM run manageable.

Well, it was likely because the first time I beat the game, I was playing some co-op, so I likely missed out on a legendary. After that, I fought the Warrior probably 50-100 times and only saw two legendaries, the flakker, and a launcher.... the one that bounces (not sure of its name)... Hopefully when I kill him in TVHM, I get something decent.

madhtr

Well, finally managed to get through TVHM, including a hard lock during the Warrior, and have since farmed him three times for a total of one legendary, and that was technically from Jack, I think. I might be cursed.

I did the same as you (skipping side missions with weapon rewards in TVHM), but feel free to do some of them if you need it, because many of the reward weapons at lvl 50 are not nearly as good as some legendery weapons you can find.
If you remember that a side quest gave you a shitty weapon or shield, do it now and don't look back.

About Bnk3r, if you stay mostly in the lower floor (you know, not up in the open, but in the "hallway" that surrounds the platform), it's very easy to hit Bnk3r, and it's very difficult for it to hit you.
I think I fought it when I was so underleveled that, once it started attacking me with the laser beam, it would kill me with just one hit. And still managed to kill it pretty easily.

Yep that's what I did. In the end, the level difference didn't really matter. It just made the fight longer (which creates its own risks of course). I basically hung out underneath the level and kept banging on him in the sweet spot for massive damage. Took about...maybe 15 minutes or so...but I was never really in any danger. Was glad I had a strong sniper rifle and pistol with me.

Speaking of which, it seems like no matter what class I play I end up going back to the trusty pistol and sniper rifle for most of my wetwork. I think because they're in higher quantities in the game (I have only anecdotal experiences, but I feel like I find more pistols and sniper rifles than decent AR's, Shotty's or SMGs). I always seem to have an excellent Jachob's pistol and sniper rifle that just carry me through the game. That those do the work faster and safer than any other weapon (unless Threshers, in which case shotty all day). Is that just my imagination?

Well, finally managed to get through TVHM, including a hard lock during the Warrior, and have since farmed him three times for a total of one legendary, and that was technically from Jack, I think. I might be cursed.

only 3 times? lol. If it only took 3 times to get multiple legendaries, everyone would have them.

Check back with us when you've farmed him 100 times and only have found 4.

madhtr

only 3 times? lol. If it only took 3 times to get multiple legendaries, everyone would have them.

Check back with us when you've farmed him 100 times and only have found 4.

Well, technically all I got was Jack's mask, so really none dropped.... and I have already farmed, after the regular game, so it's not like this is my first rodeo., I'm just starting to think I'm very unlucky. I'm just saying that after three tonight, that is what I got. With Jack's mask, that makes 3 that have dropped from the Warrior for me in approx. 100ish times.

Krelian

Speaking of which, it seems like no matter what class I play I end up going back to the trusty pistol and sniper rifle for most of my wetwork. I think because they're in higher quantities in the game (I have only anecdotal experiences, but I feel like I find more pistols and sniper rifles than decent AR's, Shotty's or SMGs). I always seem to have an excellent Jachob's pistol and sniper rifle that just carry me through the game. That those do the work faster and safer than any other weapon (unless Threshers, in which case shotty all day). Is that just my imagination?
It's the same for me with pistols. Every enemy seems to drop them and many of them are quite good. I prefer the pistols with extra explosive damage, though Jakobs guns are great too. Snipers are usually too slow, either their reload speed or their firing rate. Most of the time I try to take out an enemy with a sniper rifle someone else has killed him already. It should be noted that I never play the game alone.

My impression is that the game is skewed heavily in favor of SMGs. No matter what class I play there's always a good SMG that I feel the need to use. I guess it's because SMGs are more likely to have elemental damage and they're also usually the fastest firing weapons I have.

Deathtrap really isnt very good. I saw on Youtube a pretty good Mechromancer build focusing on electrical/shock damage with a bit of anarchy built in. Looked like great fun. Will post the link later.

I love my deaththrap, helped me out many times and it fills my shield whenever its depleted!

BigDug13

Deathtrap is pretty great if you choose the right skills. Explosive clap, upshot robot for damage and duration stacking, and shield sharing is pretty much all you need. The other deathtrap skills have AI issues or other issues. But if you only focus on those 3 deathtrap skills, he's pretty great.

FerranMG

I do actually quite the opposite.
True is that I relied on pistols and sniper rifles for most part of the first playthrough.
But later on I started finding amazing SMG (that I felt that rendered pistols useless) and, as enemies kept getting tougher, sniper rifles didn't seem to be as useful as before, so went with shotguns instead.

What I have usually equipped is a SMG (up in the d-pad), shotgun (left), sniper (or some other SMG with different elemental damage, down), and rocket launcher (right, and that I use mostly to get out of extreme fight for your life situations).

ZeroCoin

I think I'm going to be shelving borderlands until the level cap is raised. I've finished every quest the game has to offer, and a decent collection of legendaries, but the character progression is something I'm really missing at this point. Hopefully the last dlc pack turns out to be a massive amount of content along with a cap increase.

Top Bottom