• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT2| You missed the Conference Call, next time don't Bee late.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What's the easiest legendary fire gun(pistol or smg preferably) to get?

I got this slagging SMG after killing the big & old Hodunks only 2 times haha :
wEmfhJ0.png

33.2% chance as a Siren though. Great for slagging stuff in UVHM on top of a Phaselock with Ruin.

Trying to get a Gub from Laney White in the Fridge for a legendary corrosive pistol now.

maomaoIYP

What's the easiest legendary fire gun(pistol or smg preferably) to get?

I got this slagging SMG after killing the big & old Hodunks only 2 times haha :
http://i.imgur.com/wEmfhJ0.png[IMG]
33.2% chance as a Siren though. Great for slagging stuff in UVHM on top of a Phaselock with Ruin.

Trying to get a Gub from Laney White in the Fridge for a legendary corrosive pistol now.[/QUOTE]

I've always had an easy time getting Flynt's tinderbox from Flynt, but it's not a very good weapon. If I want a legendary fire weapon I don't want anything other than Hellfire from Scorch or The Warrior. For a corrosive pistol Hornet from knuckle dragger is infinitely better than Gub.

Bisnic

I've always had an easy time getting Flynt's tinderbox from Flynt, but it's not a very good weapon. If I want a legendary fire weapon I don't want anything other than Hellfire from Scorch or The Warrior. For a corrosive pistol Hornet from Midgemong is infinitely better than Gub.

The Borderlands wikia says that Knuckle Dragger drops the Hornet, is that inaccurate?

Bisnic

Ah cool, that monster dies very fast, and there is nothing to kill between Claptrap's place and him, shouldn't take too long.

Bisnic

Are legendaries always the same level when you're 61? Knuckle Dragger just dropped the Hornet, but its lvl 59.

maomaoIYP

Are legendaries always the same level when you're 61? Knuckle Dragger just dropped the Hornet, but its lvl 59.

I have no idea man. I'm trying to farm one now too. Getting it from a chest would guarantee it to be 61 though. You might need to have cleared UVHM for it to be 61.

Krelian

I have the feeling it's easier to get legendaries from slot machines. There are two legendary weapons (Infinity Pistol and a sniper whose name I don't remember) that I got from the slot machines in the Torgue DLC (normal slot machines, not the Torgue token ones). Anybody else make this experience?

maomaoIYP

I just managed to farm a lvl 61 Hornet from the treasure room.
I swear the drop rate has been improved, I've gotten quite good loot from a couple of runs in the treasure room.
Hornet, Gub, Bitch, Bonus Package, Impaler, Veruc, a couple of plasma casters, molokos, spikers, blasters, etc.

Bisnic

The lvl 59 hornet is a bit disappoiting with its corrosive damage. Only does 10k. While i got a lvl 59 blue pistol from a Tiny Tina quest that does 20k. Same with my lvl 61 fire purple Moxxi SMG that does 21k fire damage. I was expecting a little more for a legendary, especially when blue and purple weapons does double the elemental damage.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man I am on the Data Mining quest on regular difficulty and I am just getting absolutely shit on. I am literally getting like 2-3 shot by these loaders and snipers.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
All these class mods released during the week have been totally useless. I dont see the point in releasing them to the public if they're so shit to begin with. Its like buying Torgue weaponry from the Torgue Machine with a currency that's almost impossible to accumulate to buy torgue weapons.

maomaoIYP

The lvl 59 hornet is a bit disappoiting with its corrosive damage. Only does 10k. While i got a lvl 59 blue pistol from a Tiny Tina quest that does 20k. Same with my lvl 61 fire purple Moxxi SMG that does 21k fire damage. I was expecting a little more for a legendary, especially when blue and purple weapons does double the elemental damage.

The beauty of it lies not with the damage over time, it's got a high base damage and it fires an accurate 5 round burst thus giving it a high dps. Maliwan's elemental SMGs have high damage over time, but prolonged firing gives poor accuracy. In contrast hyperion's elemental SMGs have high base damage with lower damage over time. However you can fire most of a magazine with pinpoint accuracy thus making them much more valuable (and much much rarer).

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So,

I just bought this with all of the DLC (Season Pass, Psycho Pack, Mechromancer pack an the Creature Slaughterhouse.

Is there anything else I should buy right now that it's cheap? It looks like the only other pack that comes with anything other than a skin is the Collectors Edition Pack that comes with a gun maybe? Is it worth having?

I'm a level 8 Siren right now and have (zero) Steam friends. So if anyone wants to add me I'd love to play with some GAFers!

So,

I just bought this with all of the DLC (Season Pass, Psycho Pack, Mechromancer pack an the Creature Slaughterhouse.

Is there anything else I should buy right now that it's cheap? It looks like the only other pack that comes with anything other than a skin is the Collectors Edition Pack that comes with a gun maybe? Is it worth having?

It doesn't come with a gun. As well as the skins it comes with a Grenade Mod that scales it's damage to your level. It curves upward and explodes into fireworks. Unfortunately it's pretty limited in it's usage due to the fact that it curves upward so quickly and explodes too high to hit anybody most of the time. You could conceivably use it in areas with a low ceiling but I find these are few and far between.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
It doesn't come with a gun. As well as the skins it comes with a Grenade Mod that scales it's damage to your level. It curves upward and explodes into fireworks. Unfortunately it's pretty limited in it's usage due to the fact that it curves upward so quickly and explodes too high to hit anybody most of the time. You could conceivably use it in areas with a low ceiling but I find these are few and far between.

Sweet.

So I got basically everything that I need from a gameplay perspective.

The game is really fun so far, really enjoying it. It's a little less Diablo III/PSO than I was hoping for, but the loot grabbing is still nice and it does feel like the RPG elements are super important.

CTE

Important to try the Legendary weapons before you dismiss them. The Hornet is one of the best weapons in the game. Tiny Tina's Teapot is ok, too, but not the same dps even though it has a higher base damage. It's the 5 round burst that makes the pistol so effective. Hope you don't get a microwave scope. Jacobs scopes are best for pistols.

You can get a weapon anywhere from 59 to 61 when you are level 61. No guarantee for a level 61. You might have to farm it again if the stats are not a good roll. The "Bullets go faster" is obviously a projectile speed increase. Here is a link on prefixes.

http://borderlands2.gamepedia.com/Weapon_Prefixes

Here is a link for special weapon effects

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Special_Weapon_Effects_Borderlands_2

Here is a link for Legendary weapons farm locations

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=150790

Edit- I also have links for a few YT channels that have good build guides. Here are a few for the new players thanks to the steam sale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hoHMA4igwY Rampage Zerker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjbsvqF7iTQ Melee Assassin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJGiha_Ao-8 Cataclysm Siren

These are basic builds and should be easy to follow regarding gear and stuff.

Here is a level 61 build for the same Siren. She wrecks shit that much I can confirm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHaTcokw5hE

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So I just started the last mission, and didn't realize that
once you talk to claptrap, all the optionals to to talk to the townsfolk for a bit of plot/items go away

Eat shit, gearbox.

Anoregon

Anyway, just finished normal mode and last boss dropped an acid Conference Call. Cool beans! Gonna do tiny tina DLC before i start THVM.

Zertez

Finally got my Siren to lvl 61 on PS3. It wasnt as slow as it was on the PC. I didnt have a friend to help me power lvl around, so I did it solo. I used the first two quests of the game and reseted after finishing them. It took around 5 hours. Im used to playing rpgs and mmo's, so Im use to grinding and it wasnt that bad. Only downside is lack of weapons once you reach lvl 61. You will pick up some weapons doing the quests, but Im should be ok when I hit Sanctuary and use the stockpile of golden keys.

I didnt notice it on the pc because I play with the sound down, but the slag comments in the game is very annoying. Since slag is a necessity, it is tough to avoid it. Maya is constantly saying "slag" in an angry voice. Not sure if it is intentional or a bad joke, but it gets insulting after awhile to hear the word slag over and over. Maybe they had no idea of what slag means outside of the US.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Finally got my Siren to lvl 61 on PS3. It wasnt as slow as it was on the PC. I didnt have a friend to help me power lvl around, so I did it solo. I used the first two quests of the game and reseted after finishing them. It took around 5 hours. Im used to playing rpgs and mmo's, so Im use to grinding and it wasnt that bad. Only downside is lack of weapons once you reach lvl 61. You will pick up some weapons doing the quests, but Im should be ok when I hit Sanctuary and use the stockpile of golden keys.

I didnt notice it on the pc because I play with the sound down, but the slag comments in the game is very annoying. Since slag is a necessity, it is tough to avoid it. Maya is constantly saying "slag" in an angry voice. Not sure if it is intentional or a bad joke, but it gets insulting after awhile to hear the word slag over and over. Maybe they had no idea of what slag means outside of the US.
Slag is not the same in the Borderlands universe and has nothing to do with the UK word.

Also you're nuts for grinding through the first two missions over and over, that would bore my eyeballs out.

Anoregon

It's not what slag means "outside the US." Slag has a legitimate English language definition outside of UK slang that has been used for decades/centuries.

Zertez

I know slag has different uses outside of the British slang, but play with a slag heavy weapon and listen to Maya complain about it. I dont know what other vault hunters say, but Im pretty sure she is referring to the slang version. She says it with complete disgust and doubtful she means ash or trash leftover from welding. Listen to it for yourself and tell me what you think she means by saying it. Maybe it is because I just got out of a relationship with a girl from Manchester who would say slag often about certain women.

As far as grinding the first couple missions, it wasnt that bad. Your exp bar moves fast and steady, there is some challenge to it, but not overwhelming that you die a lot. I would get about a quarter of a bar of exp every 10 minutes. I do the same thing grinding for weapons, killing the same boss or area over and over for hours on end looking for rare weapons, mods etc. The only difference is I was doing it for exp instead of weapons. In a loot based game, I usually end up grinding or camping to get weapons I want. In D2, I dont want to think of the hours I spent running Baal or how many times I have killed him, but I would guess at least 150 plus hours were spent doing Baal runs alone. In a loot game, grinding and farming is just part of the high end game.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I know slag has different uses outside of the British slang, but play with a slag heavy weapon and listen to Maya complain about it.

As far as grinding the first couple missions, it wasnt that bad. Your exp bar moves fast and steady, there is some challenge to it, but not overwhelming that you die a lot. I would get about a quarter of a bar of exp every 10 minutes.
I hear you.

What missions did you specifically do on repeat? I would also be interested in knowing what everyone else grinding or fast-leveling methods are considering I don't really want to spend a bunch of time re-doing ALL the same content I've done twice already when I eventually want to explore other classes.

Zertez

I hear you.

What missions did you specifically do on repeat? I would also be interested in knowing what everyone else grinding or fast-leveling methods are considering I don't really want to spend a bunch of time re-doing ALL the same content I've done twice already when I eventually want to explore other classes.
The quests are "Cleaning up the Berg" and "This Town Aint Big Enough". When you reset the difficulty, it places you on top of the hill overlooking Liars's Berg. All you have to do is run down the hill, kill a few bullymongs, then clear the town of bandits and bullymongs to finish Cleaning, then you clear the two areas right next to town of bullymongs and turn in the 2nd quest. It takes 10 minutes or less depending on build/character. In UVHM all the mobs scale with you, so the exp rolls in quickly to lvl 61. It is very easy and you dont have to worry about long side quests. I tried doing the few other quests Hammerlock gives you, but just doing those quests the exp is the fastest.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The quests are "Cleaning up the Berg" and "This Town Aint Big Enough". When you reset the difficulty, it places you on top of the hill overlooking Liars's Berg. All you have to do is run down the hill, kill a few bullymongs, then clear the town of bandits and bullymongs to finish Cleaning, then you clear the two areas right next to town of bullymongs and turn in the 2nd quest. It takes 10 minutes or less depending on build/character. In UVHM all the mobs scale with you, so the exp rolls in quickly to lvl 61. It is very easy and you dont have to worry about long side quests. I tried doing the few other quests Hammerlock gives you, but just doing those quests the exp is the fastest.

Haha this is awesome, I may consider this.

Zertez

Haha this is awesome, I may consider this.
It is by far the easiest and fastest to lvl 61 solo Ive found. The bar with a lvl 61 character clearing it out is probably still the fastest legit method, but you need someone to help you or have another character at lvl 61.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It is by far the easiest and fastest to lvl 61 solo Ive found. The bar with a lvl 61 character clearing it out is probably still the fastest legit method, but you need someone to help you or have another character at lvl 61.
Does the method where a 61 jumps behind Marcus' firing range during the elemental weapons test mission to kill the targets repeatedly still work?

Anoregon

What's the point of doing repeated grinds to hit 61, exactly? I mean I guess I just don't see Borderlands 2 in the same way I see something like WoW or even Diablo, so I don't really get the appeal of a max-level farming end game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
What's the point of doing repeated grinds to hit 61, exactly? I mean I guess I just don't see Borderlands 2 in the same way I see something like WoW or even Diablo, so I don't really get the appeal of a max-level farming end game.

Normally I wouldn't do this but after running through the game twice with each character to get to level 50 I feel like running through it a third time could get a little grating.

Bisnic

Normally I wouldn't do this but after running through the game twice with each character to get to level 50 I feel like running through it a third time could get a little grating.

But doing the same 2 quests over and over again isn't?

Zertez

Does the method where a 61 jumps behind Marcus' firing range during the elemental weapons test mission to kill the targets repeatedly still work?
They have sealed off part of it, but there was still a way back there last I heard. That is kind of a gray area though and some developers look at as cheating. There is a couple other ways to get very fast exp exploiting the system, but I dont use them personally.

The grind and fun to get to lvl 61 in BL2 is the same as any in a loot based game. Get the highest level to farm the toughest bosses for the best weapons. BL2 has raid bosses as well as solo/duo bosses to kill for very nice weapons/gear. Guns/items drop in BL the same as they do in a game like Diablo.

The higher difficulty levels are more difficult, but also offer better rewards. BL1 was lacking in high end bosses to kill, but BL2 has quite a few. Items from other quests or mobs also drop great items like the bee shield, but usually boss/treasure room runs are the way to go. You have rare mobs as well that you need a few people to spawn and kill. I guess it all comes down to what you consider fun. Plenty of people who have played Diablo rarely go past normal difficulty, but in order to max out your character with the best builds and gear, you have to farm and grind for it. It is the same thing in BL2. If you dont bother to get max level and farm the toughest areas, you wont see the best loot. The golden chest loot doesnt even come close to the best in game.

AYS

Neo Member
I know slag has different uses outside of the British slang, but play with a slag heavy weapon and listen to Maya complain about it. I dont know what other vault hunters say, but Im pretty sure she is referring to the slang version. She says it with complete disgust and doubtful she means ash or trash leftover from welding. Listen to it for yourself and tell me what you think she means by saying it. Maybe it is because I just got out of a relationship with a girl from Manchester who would say slag often about certain women.

The slag line for your character is only said when you have the slag debuff on you, making you take more damage. That is why she is not happy about being slaged. It has nothing to do with using a slag weapon yourself, unless you are using a specific blue smg that shoots both slag and shock which gives you a slag debuff when you hold it.

Zertez

The slag line for your character is only said when you have the slag debuff on you, making you take more damage. That is why she is not happy about being slaged. It has nothing to do with using a slag weapon yourself, unless you are using a specific blue smg that shoots both slag and shock which gives you a slag debuff when you hold it.
Yeah it happens when using the Chulainn with Riastrad! on it and I know it carries a debuff on it, but it also happens with the Florintine that has Double Trouble that shouldnt carry a debuff because you dont fume using it. Maybe it is a mistake, I just figured slag heavy weapon all did it. Still no idea why they would use the name to refer to a disease element type that causes weakness. Hopefully a dev reading the thread on occasions can clear up why they picked the name, looking through the meanings of the word I can only think of one that would be diseased ridden ick.

AvalonX

Neo Member

I never understood this. How exactly do you farm it? Doesn't it get marked complete when you turn it in. Maybe someone could explain grinding 101 in this game because I dont get it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I never understood this. How exactly do you farm it? Doesn't it get marked complete when you turn it in. Maybe someone could explain grinding 101 in this game because I dont get it.

In UVHM you can reset your campaign whenever you want. So you complete those two quests then reset the campaign, because apparently those quests are easy to complete and give you oversized XP rewards.

In UVHM you can reset your campaign whenever you want. So you complete those two quests then reset the campaign, because apparently those quests are easy to complete and give you oversized XP rewards.

Huh, I never knew this either. I finished the game but never did the DLC. I am bored to tears in Big Game Hunt. You need to hit lvl 50 legit once though right?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Grabbed the PS3 version. Is the game unplayable online? It's pretty busted.
I've played tons with others online with no problems. Only issues seem to be social ones; depending on time of day it can be pretty dead, other times people will join just to complete the nearest boss or mission and then leave or just idle follow without helping to kill.

Top Bottom