• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Flambe

Teknoman said:
I think that one other guy when we were playing was causing abit of lag too. Mr something? After he left, that Badass psycho ambushed me, but all my shots were spot on.

That was me, but my connection is excellent so not sure why it would cause latency unless I was far away from the host? *shrug*

Was still fun, though I'd like to try something other than SMG lady =]

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Always keep an eye on the firing rate, with weapons like snipers and revolvers it's more important than damage, you can really fuck bitches up with a 4.0 pistol or 2-3.0 sniper.

Wizman23

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Which one do I stick with?!?!
2din91k.jpg

6ht9v6.jpg

The Bone Shredder is fuck awesome. Anytime a weapon has red writing in the description it is usually for an awesome perk. There is a reason this is a purple gun. That other gun is garbage compared to it.

Teknoman

Flambe said:
That was me, but my connection is excellent so not sure why it would cause latency unless I was far away from the host? *shrug*

Was still fun, though I'd like to try something other than SMG lady =]

Could be, but it wasnt that bad (we still tore up everything). Just like 1-2 seconds off on my end. We've got to learn how to handle Skag Rushs :lol

Dont worry about what weapons you use until you start getting skills that up certain weapon damage. Probably a good thing to up proficency in whatever weapons you like too.

Victrix

*beard*
The PC port of this is pure shit. I can't believe Gearbox said they 'made it a priority', talk about lying through their teeth.

The game browser is horrible, the microphone screwup is unbelievable, the interface is a console port, and as far as I can tell, there's no way to kick someone - I hosted a game and when someone way lower level (with an unmutable, echoing, loud mic) joined, I couldn't kick him while he sat and sponged up xp, making the whole game harder.

No mousewheel scrolling, have to mash enter to buy/sell items, can't right click on stuff, if you left click to sell it brings up a yes/no enter/escape menu, escape doesn't work there. Etcetcetc. It's just shitty.

And it locked up while browsing the game list.

If I can at least figure out the mic on my end so the volume/sens is right, I'll play some more, but after playing on XBL all week, I'm tempted just to say fuck it and go back to the 360 version until they patch this. What a lame mess.

On the bright side, it looks quite nice! And using a mouse is great!

edit: And you can't fucking chat in the lobby with text! Unreal!

Oh and speaking of Unreal, 'say' is literally the default unreal engine tab console with 'say' filled in. Backspace a few times and wind up with a console bar on your screen! Lazy as hell.

edit again: And it won't work with my USB mic, only the one plugged into line in. How many more rage edits can I add?

Wag

Unfortunately even with the FOV fixes it still doesn't look right to me and gives me motion sickness. So until (or if) they ever post a fix I won't be playing the game much. This is the only game that does this to me and I find it unacceptable that they released the game in such a state.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wizman23 said:
The Bone Shredder is fuck awesome. Anytime a weapon has red writing in the description it is usually for an awesome perk. There is a reason this is a purple gun. That other gun is garbage compared to it.

What's really the point of that one? If anything I found all of the guns with bullets that spin out of it like that harder to use.

Teknoman

Victrix said:
The PC port of this is pure shit. I can't believe Gearbox said they 'made it a priority', talk about lying through their teeth.

The game browser is horrible, the microphone screwup is unbelievable, the interface is a console port, and as far as I can tell, there's no way to kick someone - I hosted a game and when someone way lower level (with an unmutable, echoing, loud mic) joined, I couldn't kick him while he sat and sponged up xp, making the whole game harder.

No mousewheel scrolling, have to mash enter to buy/sell items, can't right click on stuff, if you left click to sell it brings up a yes/no enter/escape menu, escape doesn't work there. Etcetcetc. It's just shitty.

If I can at least figure out the mic on my end so the volume/sens is right, I'll play some more, but after playing on XBL all week, I'm tempted just to say fuck it and go back to the 360 version until they patch this. What a lame mess.

On the bright side, it looks quite nice! And using a mouse is great!

edit: And you can't fucking chat in the lobby with text! Unreal!

Oh and speaking of Unreal, 'say' is literally the default unreal engine tab console with 'say' filled in. Backspace a few times and wind up with a console bar on your screen! Lazy as hell.

You can right click on things, but not sure if they let you sell via right click. Mouse wheel does work though. They do need to do some serious patching for mic key binds among other things though. Graphically and standard gameplay controls are great though. Could some of you guys having FOV issues post screens of how your game looks?

EDIT: I say everyone got to the Gearbox forums and post the technical issues. MP problems maybe into the topic I created? FOV issues and key bind issues into seperate topics. Its better than just hoping they fix it, or wait for others to post about em.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=79216

On the bright side, i'm using these two:

ehjb6a.jpg

10iatr5.jpg

Eric WK

Wizman23 said:

:lol

No, the other weapon is better.

Wizman23

Banned
Eric WK said:
:lol

No, the other weapon is better.

I don't think so. I used the Bone Shredder until about level 16. The upper stats don't mean dick compared to whats written below. There is a reason its a purple.

Blizzard

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Damn. Game in unplayable for me until the Windows 7 7100/64 bit/Steam issue gets fixed.
What bug are you talking about? I'm about to try Windows 7 7100/64-bit/Steam. *edit* Ah, nevermind, must be the different-documents-folder issue.

Dash

I'm about to start a game at chapter 1 in 40 minutes at 10:00 EST. My Gamespy name is DashJH if anyone is interested.

poweld

Well, my copy of Windows 7 arrived at a rather inconvenient time. I decided it was most prudent to install that first and then get Borderlands again. Will be on to try it out in just a few minutes!

Victrix said:

If I didn't love the game so much, these would totally kill it for me. I mean seriously..Page Up and Page Down to scroll lists when I have a SCROLL wheel right here? >_<

Alt+Tabbing doesn't work properly either, at least not for me. Going back in gets a black screen. Thankfully it works well in windowed mode, fills up the screen with a double click.

Though one thing that should have stuck out like a sore thumb during testing: why is there no button to automatically buy all the ammo? Why do I have to click on all of the ammo types individually, multiple times, to fill up? Stupid.

Damn do I love this game, though, even with these errors.

bounchfx

Victrix said:

I agree with all your points, not only can I not play multiplayer with friends, I can't play multi with anyone! it locks up every time I try to look at the game list. I'm having fun with the game in general, but the fact that I can't even play it the way it's meant to be played - the reason I bought it to begin with, is just bull.

If there isn't a patch fixing these issues within a few days (hopefully by tomorrow), i'm going to be very vocal about getting a refund and then just going for the 360 one, even then.. not cool

Dipper145

Wizman23 said:
I don't think so. I used the Bone Shredder until about level 16. The upper stats don't mean dick compared to whats written below. There is a reason its a purple.
While the Bone Shredder is probably better, because it does more damage due to the 10x2 instead of just 13. It really has nothing to do with the purple colour or the red text, although the red text may be the double shot bonus. It also has a larger clip so you don't have to reload as much.

The other gun is by no mean garbage, it does 13 damage and fires quicker.

The upper stats mean a ton more compared to the stuff written below.

epmode

bounchfx said:
I agree with all your points, not only can I not play multiplayer with friends, I can't play multi with anyone! it locks up every time I try to look at the game list. I'm having fun with the game in general, but the fact that I can't even play it the way it's meant to be played - the reason I bought it to begin with, is just bull.
Even if the server browser stops locking up the game, we're still going to have to deal with port forwarding and stuff since it's all peer-to-peer. GG Gearbox.

Victrix

*beard*
In the interest of getting some people with actual functioning voice together in a game, I'm hosting a lobby for microphone testing ONLY. Send a friend request in-game to eg-victrix, and I'll invite you to the lobby.

This is only for testing mics so you can get volume right, not for playing (yet :p)

edit:

[VoIP]
VolumeThreshold=0.2
bHasVoiceEnabled=true

WillowEngine.ini in mygames/borderlands/willowgame/config

Threshold MIGHT be sensitivity

Zertez

Snuggler said:
Question: Does electricity just deplete shields, or does it also add extra damage? I haven't noticed.
First it depeletes shields pretty fast, then it melts faces over time. Electrical damage eats hp pretty quick as well.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zertez said:
First it depeletes shields pretty fast, then it melts faces over time. Electrical damage eats hp pretty quick as well.

Cool, I haven't used it much until last night when I found a badass electro revolver. I can't wait to get out of work, fuck this place, I'm ready for some Bordlands. :D

Swag

Was talking to my buddy that was hosting the match we were just in and he was saying that he had to forward ports not only for Borderlands but also for Gamespy in order to get all his stuff in order.

Zertez

Snuggler said:
Cool, I haven't used it much until last night when I found a badass electro revolver. I can't wait to get out of work, fuck this place, I'm ready for some Bordlands. :D
First time you see a guy die by electrical damage, you will be hooked on using electrical weapons :lol

Swag

bengraven said:
My copy is arriving in a couple days. I'm seriously considering canceling my order. :(

Game is excellent, the bugs although annoying are really nothing that can't be fixed in a patch etc.

Even with the net issues and page up / down scrolling it still is a solid game.

Sebulon3k said:
Was talking to my buddy that was hosting the match we were just in and he was saying that he had to forward ports not only for Borderlands but also for Gamespy in order to get all his stuff in order.

Cool, nice to know it works at least to some degree. I've got all those quests now as well. My guns seem fairly weak, I was almost out of ammo that whole time in the bandit camp.

Also, that jump, then getting attacked by the huge skag was awesome! :lol

epmode

Sebulon3k said:
Game is excellent, the bugs although annoying are really nothing that can't be fixed in a patch etc.
The game is solid. The port is typical console -> PC fare, which wouldn't really bother me if it wasn't for all the talk about PC as the primary platform.

Correction: typical console -> PC fare is fine for SINGLE-PLAYER games. Primarily multiplayer stuff like this needs special care so we don't wind up with the clusterfuck that we have now. Hope you like playing with cheaters!

Teknoman

Daaaaamn. When co-op works it is awesome. lol just had a great moment with vehicles.

Sebulon, Bravosuperstar(SuperEnemyCrab), and Seb's friend (who was host). Joined after 1 second of the time out timer passed (very quick connect). Near lagless gameplay, and a big badass corrosive skag attack :lol

qso5qo.png

2lucf7.png

1zog8qh.png

6tntbk.png

EDIT: Wait so Gamespy is at fault here? Wow, I know port forwarding isnt hard if you know what to do/where to look, but out of the tons of people who will buy this for PC but have no idea what to do...

I really hope they find a remedy to this.

epmode said:
The game is solid. The port is typical console -> PC fare, which wouldn't really bother me if it wasn't for all the talk about PC as the primary platform.

Correction, typical console -> PC fare is fine for SINGLE-PLAYER games. Primarily multiplayer stuff like this needs special care so we don't wind up with the clusterfuck that we have now. Hope you like playing with cheaters!

Nah stick to friend list. They need to address the whole port forwarding issue though.

MMaRsu

My copy is shipping on the 28th. Oh well, at least I chose UPS. I'll be playing Ballad of Gay Tony untill I get this then :p.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not hosting, but every time I try to do an online game, and accept a friend request, it immediately logs me out of GameSpy and says maybe someone else logged in under my profile etc. Any ideas? :(

Swag

I missed that entire Skag fight, was too busy getting owned in the camp. Was thinking to myself where did everyone go :lol

Terrifyer

Banned
Really loving the game so far, but does the AI seem really easy to defeat to anyone else? I beat the third arena stage at level 15 by jumping around in circles.

Teknoman

Sebulon3k said:
I missed that entire Skag fight, was too busy getting owned in the camp. Was thinking to myself where did everyone go :lol

lol yeah, we landed and I was all happy for making it across. The camera pans down and a huge green skag is standing there. Before I could even react, our car exploded and we had to run for cover.

vesp

yea this game is pretty sweet but I'm definitely regretting buying 2 steam 4 pack slots for coop with my fiance instead of just splitscreening it a week ago on 360 for the same price.

borked multiplayer, hacks, gimp interface and and video options, and a week delay kinda makes me an angry pc gamer.

Teknoman

Blizzard said:
I'm not hosting, but every time I try to do an online game, and accept a friend request, it immediately logs me out of GameSpy and says maybe someone else logged in under my profile etc. Any ideas? :(

Thats a new issue. Really think you guys should post some of these over at Gearbox just to let them know though. I'm not sure if a GBX person is a member of GAF or not, but it would help just to spread the word.

EDIT: Hacks will be a problem, but if you just stay away from public games, you'll be fine.

Hey Super enemy crab and Sebulon, whats your Steam IDs? Makes it easier to have both since you can send messages.

eznark

Banned
Sorry to the dude that invited me a couple times, MrHawk maybe, but I am only half paying attention. I'm watching the football game at the same time, didn't want to be a dick and play co-op that way.

Kade

Amazing game. Wasted 6 hours playing and didn't even notice. The interface is annoying as fuck sometimes though. Too "console-ish" and unresponsive, but it might just be me. Hopefully, the online issues get resolved in the next few days.

Teknoman said:
Hey Super enemy crab and Sebulon, whats your Steam IDs? Makes it easier to have both since you can send messages.

Same, BravoSuperStar. Thats my Xbox live name, my PSN name, my SteamID, gamespy, etc. I wish I could change my GAF name to that instead.

And I tried to join MotheHawk but it's timing out again. I forwarded the gamespy ports, according to what I could find out about. Still no go. =(

Top Bottom