• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Blizzard

Banned
Argh, I don't want to have to post on their forums. :(

I have forwarded every port that Boonoo mentioned, plus an additional one, and also added extra outbound windows firewall ports for those ports. If I even hover over the "OK" button to add a friend, then it instantly disconnects me from GameSpy. :(

Teknoman

Blizzard said:
Argh, I don't want to have to post on their forums. :(

I have forwarded every port that Boonoo mentioned, plus an additional one, and also added extra outbound windows firewall ports for those ports. If I even hover over the "OK" button to add a friend, then it instantly disconnects me from GameSpy. :(

If I get into an ok game, i'll let you know and see if you can join that one. But from the looks of things, this will have to be something GBX addresses as a whole.

Hawk SE

Can't play with Friend either through Private or through Hamachi LAN.

Having friend open ports for Gamespy to see if that helps things..

JudgeN

Finally got everything straighten out.

1680x1050
HD 4870 (512 meg)
Q6600 at 3.6 ghz
All setting Max
locked FPS at 30
uncapped FPS is about 45ish

Be nice to get some more benchmarks posted, help people gauge how the game will run.

Anyone else game locking up when you hit the online server option?

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
I'm playing on steam, runs butter smooth for me, I need to figure out how to turn aa on. I can't understand for the life of me why it's not just an option. I haven't tried any of the online stuff yet though.

Blizzard

Banned
Teknoman said:
If I get into an ok game, i'll let you know and see if you can join that one. But from the looks of things, this will have to be something GBX addresses as a whole.
No, I can't even add friends at all. Even hovering over the OK button means it instantly disconnects me from GameSpy. I already posted on the GearBox forums.

Teknoman

Blizzard said:
No, I can't even add friends at all. Even hovering over the OK button means it instantly disconnects me from GameSpy. I already posted on the GearBox forums.

Oh....wow that is strange then.

RuGalz

So I have a problem with the PC version of the game. The video driver crashes every 3-5 mins causing the game to freeze for like 20 seconds and then resumes after windows recovers from the crash. I'm on Windows 7 64 bit. I have a Radeon 4850. I'm using the latest ATI driver from their website.

This problem has been plaguing me for a while most noticeably on Crysis games. I think Borderlands is the first UE3 game doing this to me because I remember Last Ramenant demo ran okay. I used to run Vista 64bit before and it was doing the same thing. I never have XP on this system so I don't know if that'd change anything but I wouldn't go back to XP anyways. Anyone else have this similar issue and know a fix for it?

Hawk SE

Okay this is how we got it to work

Start your SINGLE-PLAYER game

If you press O
- It'll bring up your friends list (GameSpy friends)

Send and invite (press I on Friend), and voila! it worked for us!

Does it work for GAF too?

bengraven

epmode said:
The game is solid. The port is typical console -> PC fare, which wouldn't really bother me if it wasn't for all the talk about PC as the primary platform.

Correction: typical console -> PC fare is fine for SINGLE-PLAYER games. Primarily multiplayer stuff like this needs special care so we don't wind up with the clusterfuck that we have now. Hope you like playing with cheaters!

Jesus, after the annoying UI that was Red Faction Guerilla I'd almost not forgive it.

But fuck it, I can deal. Can't wait.

can't even host ;\
did get invited to a game but the one invited me ended up hanging :lol.

tried opening ports but no go. oh well. played SP and got to lvl 10. I want to try out coop but i have to go to work tomorrow!

Nester

2 friends and I were trying to do LAN, no one could connect to anyone.

We created Borderlands shortcuts from Steam and then right clicked on the icon on the desktop and ran as administrator and now everything is working perfectly for connecting.

This is just for local but we were trying online earlier and it wasn't working there either, same troubles.

So does every gun with the Red text do something special? most of the ones I find do something, but some I cant figure out what the hell they do, haha.

Tim-E

Hawk xSx said:
Okay this is how we got it to work

Start your SINGLE-PLAYER game

If you press O
- It'll bring up your friends list (GameSpy friends)

Send and invite (press I on Friend), and voila! it worked for us!

Does it work for GAF too?

Not for me :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Welp, gotta return the game since I'm renting it. Only hit level 41. 9 levels short of my 50/Platinum goal. DAMN IT.

Stupid playthrough 2 gets hard as hell esp. with my set-up. It also seems even if you're one-two levels below an enemy so long as they are higher level you do jackshit in damage to them despite having kickass guns.
Skagzilla
is level 42 and my weapons are doing jack-shit against him. So annoying.

Fine-o-lee

I got this pricematched at FS for 26 dollars..35 after tax!!!! I guess they charge tax on the full retail price cause obviously 9 dollars is pretty high for a 26 pricetag, but who can complain :D

Should be here in a few days.

Blizzard

Banned
So the intro sequence, especially camera pans, was jerky/AUGH on the eyes. I can only hope that's more Windows 7 video codec issues. :( That's with vsync on too.

Ingame I don't think it looks too terrible, and I might try it with vsync off. I still get kicked off of GameSpy immediately if I try to add someone and then hover over the OK button in the single-player online menu.

Teknoman

Blizzard said:
So the intro sequence, especially camera pans, was jerky/AUGH on the eyes. I can only hope that's more Windows 7 video codec issues. :( That's with vsync on too.

Ingame I don't think it looks too terrible, and I might try it with vsync off. I still get kicked off of GameSpy immediately if I try to add someone and then hover over the OK button in the single-player online menu.

Intro sequence is teary without vsync, but thats probably because its just an FMV, but everything afterwards was just fine. Running Vista 64.

Blizzard

Banned
Teknoman said:
Intro sequence is teary without vsync, but thats probably because its just an FMV, but everything afterwards was just fine. Running Vista 64.
I didn't see tearing, just jitter/non-smooth animation.

Pctx

Banned
I can honestly say... this the first time I'm glad I bought the console version first.... I hope this isn't a sign for the industry though.

Anyone want to play on PSN? Shoot me an invite here in the next hour. PSN ID: Pctx

RuGalz said:
So I have a problem with the PC version of the game. The video driver crashes every 3-5 mins causing the game to freeze for like 20 seconds and then resumes after windows recovers from the crash. I'm on Windows 7 64 bit. I have a Radeon 4850. I'm using the latest ATI driver from their website.

This problem has been plaguing me for a while most noticeably on Crysis games. I think Borderlands is the first UE3 game doing this to me because I remember Last Ramenant demo ran okay. I used to run Vista 64bit before and it was doing the same thing. I never have XP on this system so I don't know if that'd change anything but I wouldn't go back to XP anyways. Anyone else have this similar issue and know a fix for it?

Hmm, I have pretty much the same setup and this hasn't happened to me. No idea what would cause it.

Now that I have that little problem fixed, game is running like a dream. Using 90 FOV and vsync on.

Loving the meltdowns in this thread :lol

Dipper145

Just beat the first playthrough,
I was a little disappointed in the final battle, the boss thing was kind of unexpected, and kind of strange, and I was also disappointed that there wasn't anything awesome for me to loot afterwards, it's not so much that I couldn't enter the vault, but at least there should be some sort of final boss loot (edit- oh ahah just had to wait for the credits to end) .. The boss was pretty damn easy for me as a level 35 siren. Also, was that lady talking to me through that satellite shown at the end? Does she work for the Hyperion company(the name on the satellite)? Or who was she?
Well, time to start the next play through!

Teknoman

Mr. Snrub said:
Hmm, I have pretty much the same setup and this hasn't happened to me. No idea what would cause it.

Now that I have that little problem fixed, game is running like a dream. Using 90 FOV and vsync on.

How do you check your field of view again? Doesnt seem strange in game, but just wanted to see if 90 made a difference.

Teknoman said:
How do you check your field of view again? Doesnt seem strange in game, but just wanted to see if 90 made a difference.

Not sure, I'm assuming it's around 75. I did the binding trick from the Gearbox thread, and when I hit the 90 degree view, it changed from default, so I can only assume 90 isn't default. 110 is a bit much though.

Alex

Pctx said:
I can honestly say... this the first time I'm glad I bought the console version first.... I hope this isn't a sign for the industry though.

Anyone want to play on PSN? Shoot me an invite here in the next hour. PSN ID: Pctx

You're glad you bought the PS3 version instead of the PC?

....:lol

Dig that 15 FPS during firefights, I guess? You also realize that the PS3 version has the exact same Gamespy browser with the exact same flaws, yes?

The PS3 version is fine if it's your only real choice, but you shouldn't be a dolt like I was and bite on a 60 dollar, struggling to run version versus a butter smooth 35 dollar version with the same online faults, that'll be patched shortly anyway and a few PC specific complaints that all just stem from the console versions.

M.J. Doja

Banned
vsync + 90 FOV = LOVE

DemiMatt was able to forward the ports listed in this thread, and create a game. I had no problem as i'm not on a router.

Along with CrookedRain, were gonna do this shit.. lvl 2.. lvl10 and lvl 10. gave demi my bone shredder. that should be nice for him at lvl 3

RuGalz

Mr. Snrub said:

So the only thing I am doing differently than a couple of my friends is that I'm using HDMI. Are you using HDMI as well?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
What does the "burst fire count" stat do?

I saw a rocket launcher with 500% + of that stat plus a pretty high fire rate lol of 5.0

-nm figured it out, it'll fire everything at once it seems

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Hrm, class mods are confusing! I need a good diagram that can explain to me all the possible mods/what to look out for. I know some parts of class mods increase your skills (only if you have a point in them already) - but some others don't seem like that's what they do. Like a "+4 Team Health Regen" class mod doesn't seem to be assigned to any skills, it - as far as I can tell - just gives everyone in the party a constant regen effect.

DustoMan

Banned
Really not happy with this GameSpy business. As soon as I pull up the game list, the menu and mouse freezes up and I have to mash on the ESC key to get back a menu. Why not just use Steam!?!?!

grumble

Dipper145 said:
I was a little disappointed in the final battle, the boss thing was kind of unexpected, and kind of strange, and I was also disappointed that there wasn't anything awesome for me to loot afterwards, it's not so much that I couldn't enter the vault, but at least there should be some sort of final boss loot (edit- oh ahah just had to wait for the credits to end) .. The boss was pretty damn easy for me as a level 35 siren. Also, was that lady talking to me through that satellite shown at the end? Does she work for the Hyperion company(the name on the satellite)? Or who was she?

I think the satellite thing meant that she was not human, and was in fact a machine (AI). I thought that was the obvious twist, though it was a little ambiguous at the end.

Woot found my first legendary. And it's a combat assault rifle with regenerating ammo and disgusting reload speed. I'm stoked.

I also found a corrosive shotgun with scope and a shock revolver that does disgusting dmg

I also found a repeater pistol that shoots 10 rounds in 2 seconds. It is the fastest gun I have ever seen. It's also shock property. It's amazing.

God I love this game.

KAP151

Dipper145 said:

I agree. All this talk of a
vault and you dont even get to go in one!. Bah!.

Still, loved every second of it.

grumble

Slayer-33 said:
What does the "burst fire count" stat do?

I saw a rocket launcher with 500% + of that stat plus a pretty high fire rate lol of 5.0

Shoots more than one per trigger click.

Ex:

Rocket, damage 400, burst fire 300%

It'll shoot three sequential 400 damage rockets. boom boom boom!

There are also rockets that shoot multiple rockets in a pattern, like a star or a spinning triangle or something. Those will be marked as damage 400x3 or whatever.

The fire rate for your burst fire launcher might be immaterial, since it sounds like you empty your whole clip in one go.

Top Bottom