• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Haunted

MMaRsu said:
I think so.. :p. Hey do you have an avatar randomizer going on? And do I even have you on XBL? If not, I should :p.
I do (check your PMs for details).

And I don't have too many people in my friends list on XBL (because I don't have Gold. :lol, I'm useless except for leaderboard comparisons).

Rahk

Hawkian said:
According to God's Beard's Calculations, assuming 6 enemies are present, one throw of my bloodwing will net me:

-Up to 30 pieces of loot
-6 guaranteed stuns
-420% single attack damage converted to health
Where does the 420% come from? 35% of damage is converted to health, and if it attacks up to 6 targets wouldn't that make it 210%? Unless I'm missing something.

You're going to have to wade through all that loot!

God's Beard said:
OOH OOH OOH!!! I thought of another one!

Multiple Roland battle tactic 2: Demon Wall
for use in caves and valleys, line up turrets to seal off a path completely and either fire from behind cover or use a pincer attack and fire at the enemy's back while they're occupied. In thin enough areas(2 turret widths or less), multiple paths can be sealed with 4 rolands. Most advanced application would be to use 4 turrets to encase a single enemy without the ability to jump for guaranteed, inescapable death.

Based on early abilities and potential, I can assume that a 4 roland squad has the best chance of conquering the end-game at sub-20 levels.
All right. Creating death traps each step of the way does sound somewhat fun. :lol

Wizman23

Banned
Not enough Lileth love in here! She is going to be my first character. It looks like you can build her up in a ton of different ways, plus the phase walk looks absolutely devastating once built up properly.

I never played a "loot grinding" game until Too Human and spent well over 100 hours in that game. That game only had 4 levels and I still found it very addicting. I wonder how Epic Loot is going to be handled in Borderlands. With 17 million guns is there going to that 1 rare gun we are all searching for? I know Too Human caught a ton of hate but the epic weapons and armor were fucking awesome. I'm hoping you get that same feeling of finding a rare gun/item in Borderlands as you did in Too Human.

Rahk said:
Where does the 420% come from? 35% of damage is converted to health, and if it attacks up to 6 targets wouldn't that make it 210%? Unless I'm missing something.

Swift Strike doubles bloodwing damage at maxed level, so it becomes 420% of normal damage.

Wizman23 said:
Not enough Lileth love in here! She is going to be my first character. It looks like you can build her up in a ton of different ways, plus the phase walk looks absolutely devastating once built up properly.

Devastating if you like killing one enemy at a time with melee attacks and surrounding yourself with enemies. It seems to me that brick would be more effective in all the situations phasewalk puts you in.

MMaRsu

Are the iron sights the same for all the weapons? I don't really like the ones on some of the machine guns.

FUCK ALL OF YOU.

"The Communication Workers Union (CWU) has said two 24-hour nationwide postal strikes will start on Thursday 22 October.
The union said it had no choice but to announce a strike after the Royal Mail rejected its latest set of proposals.
On the first day, mail centre staff and drivers will strike. The next day it will be delivery and collection staff."

FUCK YOU SO FUCKING MUCH.

I refuse to buy it from a shop.

MMaRsu

Subliminal42 said:
FUCK ALL OF YOU.

"The Communication Workers Union (CWU) has said two 24-hour nationwide postal strikes will start on Thursday 22 October.
The union said it had no choice but to announce a strike after the Royal Mail rejected its latest set of proposals.
On the first day, mail centre staff and drivers will strike. The next day it will be delivery and collection staff."

FUCK YOU SO FUCKING MUCH.

I refuse to buy it from a shop.

:lol why?

ashism

practice02 said:
I hear a lot about these lands beyond my door step pray tell, what are they like?
Very High Def.
Loading time next to none.
There is a better risk vs reward mechanic too.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
eznark said:
From Steam:
System Requirements
Processor: 2.4 Ghz or equivalent processor
Memory: 1GB System RAM (2GB recommended with Vista)
Graphics: 256mb video ram or better (GeForce 8 series or higher/Radeon R8xx series)
Hard Drive: 8 GB or more free space
Sound: Windows compatible sound card

I found this on UT3:
Recommended System Requirements
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 GHz or Athlon X2 Equivalent
Memory: 1 GB
Hard Drive: 8 GB Free
Video Memory: (nVidia 7800/ATI X1300)
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c
Keyboard & Mouse
DVD Rom Drive (Not Required for Downloaded Versions)

I think I need a Core 2 Duo at least to run it well.

MMaRsu

Subliminal42 said:
Play.Com has exclusive weapons. And is cheaper.

Right like there aren't enough weapons!

BenjaminBirdie said:
Hey, Eric, Cornballer, et al; for co-op purposes, can we call this game BROderlands?

Hey I want to play with you guys too :p.

ashism

dragonflys545 said:
Attention: NY Gaffers "Jnl" might have the game later today call them around 5ish.

212-233-3399
Must be hitting the major cities. I am gonna dig around long beach. Pretty easy to find stuff early here if you know where to look.

DenogginizerOS said:
I found this on UT3:
Recommended System Requirements
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 GHz or Athlon X2 Equivalent
Memory: 1 GB
Hard Drive: 8 GB Free
Video Memory: (nVidia 7800/ATI X1300)
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c
Keyboard & Mouse
DVD Rom Drive (Not Required for Downloaded Versions)

I think I need a Core 2 Duo at least to run it well.
My Rig is going to be slammin Borderlands. I'm glad I went with my instinct and got it on PC

Cahill

Banned
Wizman23 said:

Agree... She'll be my initial character as well. Just having a hell of a time figuring out how I wanna build her.

Shoogoo

Cahill said:
Agree... She'll be my initial character as well. Just having a hell of a time figuring out how I wanna build her.

Hey mate, still playing Sacred2?

It doesn't surprise me the least to see you wandering around here lol

garath

Wizman23 said:

I never played a "loot grinding" game until Too Human and spent well over 100 hours in that game. That game only had 4 levels and I still found it very addicting. I wonder how Epic Loot is going to be handled in Borderlands. With 17 million guns is there going to that 1 rare gun we are all searching for? I know Too Human caught a ton of hate but the epic weapons and armor were fucking awesome. I'm hoping you get that same feeling of finding a rare gun/item in Borderlands as you did in Too Human.

I'm planning on Lilith with my co-op buddies. I might do a solo Brick on the side though.

My lilith right now is focused on phasewalk and melee.

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21500550050050000505055

I'll almost always be coming out of phasewalk for a 100% chance to daze, 70% damage reduction, massive melee damage and each kill reduces that cooldown. If I can kill a couple guys quickly I'll be right back in phasewalk.

It's a theory.

Cahill

Banned
Shoogoo said:
Hey mate, still playing Sacred2?

It doesn't surprise me the least to see you wandering around here lol

I was going to reply to you yesterday and basically say the same. :lol

I didn't play for quite a while but tossed it in for a bit this past weekend to run with a friend. I just have too many games and it fell to the wayside.

garath

MidnightRider said:
So what systems are most of yall gaming on?? I am taking it this will be a big hit for the PC people.....

PC for sure. It's so FPS focused that I don't think I could enjoy it nearly as much without the keyboard/mouse.

Shoogoo

Cahill said:
I didn't play for quite a while but tossed it in for a bit this past weekend to run with a friend. I just have too many games and it fell to the wayside.

I know I know, those time-eating games tend to fall behind because well, they take too much time :lol And with the shitload of games coming out it's likely I'll keep it in my backlog for another couple of months aha

What platform are you getting Borderlands on?

Cahill

Banned
Shoogoo said:
I know I know, those time-eating games tend to fall behind because well, they take too much time :lol And with the shitload of games coming out it's likely I'll keep it in my backlog for another couple of months aha

What platform are you getting Borderlands on?

Despite the fact I just built a spicy new PC, I'm nabbing it on the 360.

MidnightRider said:
So what systems are most of yall gaming on?? I am taking it this will be a big hit for the PC people.....

If I do end up getting this it will be on PC, for sure. Biggest reason would be post-release support, free content, patches, add-ons etc. Of course better controls and graphics help.:D

My biggest concern is that I just don't have the time to put into this game if I did get it. Still playing UC2, getting Forza III in a week or so, then MW2 hits....

jabipun

MMaRsu said:
Are the iron sights the same for all the weapons? I don't really like the ones on some of the machine guns.

There are a bazallion guns dude, I'm sure that means at least 4 of which will have iron sights that come to your liking.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
God's Beard said:
Swift Strike doubles bloodwing damage at maxed level, so it becomes 420% of normal damage.

What he said.

Wizman23 said:
Not enough Lileth love in here!

My second char will be a tasty Siren, no worries.

Pretty sure the guns have all kinds of different sights. Some have scopes of various magnifications as well. Not positive but I think the type of iron sight might be tied to the manufacturer like other stylistic elements on the weapons.

poweld

Hawkian said:
Pretty sure the guns have all kinds of different sights. Some have scopes of various magnifications as well. Not positive but I think the type of iron sight might be tied to the manufacturer like other stylistic elements on the weapons.
Oh, sure, I'm just saying that the models aren't being drawn from the same pool as the large procedural stats pool. I'm sure there will be many different models, and several ironsights, but... yeah.

Bazillions is fun to say, innit? It's not getting old.

So i havent played diablo in a long time, am I really going to need to plan out my skill tree this extensively before playing??? am i going to get screwed somehow after playing for a long time?

jabipun

It kind of sucks how this game doesn't have a narrative/story or any sort of linear structure. Oh well, killing shit and leveling up is always fun. Just wish it had more direction.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
So i havent played diablo in a long time, am I really going to need to plan out my skill tree this extensively before playing??? am i going to get screwed somehow after playing for a long time?
You can re-spec at any save station :D.

garath

jabipun said:
It kind of sucks how this game doesn't have a narrative/story or any sort of linear structure. Oh well, killing shit and leveling up is always fun. Just wish it had more direction.

It has a main questline.

dragonflys545 said:
I would get the PC version, but i fear hackers will mess it up.

It's a co-op game, not competitive. Not sure how hackers would "mess it up".

garath said:
It has a main questline.

It's a co-op game, not competitive. Not sure how hackers would "mess it up".

I don't know Map hack, Drop hack?:lol :lol From the Giant Bomb video i thought they said there's an arena mode where you can pvp.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Uh, there's a narrative and linear story quest progression, complete with final boss (i had semi-spoiled for me :()

EDIT: It also didn't stop that many people from continuing to play diablo/d2 :p

dragonflys545 said:
I would get the PC version, but i fear hackers will mess it up.

I'd be more afraid of console hackers ruining it and then never getting a patch, or update. Just look at the state of TF2 on consoles. At least if an exploit or something comes out for the PC they can patch it right away without going through lengthy and costly certifications.

eznark

Banned
Just got home to see a nice pig Steam present in the middle of my monitor. Drizzle came through on his end of the 4 pack (I paid him a couple days ago, he bought the game...a day earlier than he promised as well!)

Anyway, if you keep track of this sort of thing, drizzle is definitely a GAFfer to be trusted.

Now Borderlands is just sitting there in my Not Installed list...taunting me.

garath

Syril said:
So was Diablo, and that didn't stop anyone.

Granted I didn't play much D2, but in Diablo the worst thing I remember was town killing and item duping.

The item duping doesn't directly impact you so that shouldn't be a concern. Doing a PK hack might be an issue but it's simple enough to leave the server or kick them from your game. I really don't think it will be widespread or last long without a patch.

Either way, I can understand some reluctance, but imo, fear of the unknown isn't enough to deter me from my platform of choice here. If it's like any other MP pc game I put my hands on, I'll quickly have a list of regular people I play with and hacks won't be a concern.

Prezhulio

garath said:
Granted I didn't play much D2, but in Diablo the worst thing I remember was town killing and item duping.

The item duping doesn't directly impact you so that shouldn't be a concern. Doing a PK hack might be an issue but it's simple enough to leave the server or kick them from your game. I really don't think it will be widespread or last long without a patch.

Either way, I can understand some reluctance, but imo, fear of the unknown isn't enough to deter me from my platform of choice here. If it's like any other MP pc game I put my hands on, I'll quickly have a list of regular people I play with and hacks won't be a concern.

item duping not impacting others in a LOOT centric game....hmmmm gonna have to disagree.

Top Bottom