• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
garath said:
The item duping doesn't directly impact you so that shouldn't be a concern.

The entire in-game economy of D2 was based on duped SOJs.

jabipun said:
The game doesn't have stupid ass level scaling with the enemies like Oblivion does it?

RP = Randy Pitchford, gearbox ceo:

BS: The enemy thing is still interesting to me, because it seems like most RPGs now are leveling enemies parallel to your levels.

RP: I think it's a terrible mistake. I don't know why they do that. I personally think World of Warcraft got it right. In the level 1 area, if I go back there at level 20, I can just [makes killing noises]. I know I'm powerful.
Advertisement

You know what feels great? If you reach the level cap, which I think now is 80, go into the Dead Mines, which is one of the lowest level instances in the world, and you can like pull the entire instance and just [makes killing noise], and you just feel like the biggest badass. And you look badass. You've got this incredible gear and sick weapons with shit glowing on them. You can just go in there and just own all the stuff. You feel like a god to them, and you are, and you're supposed to be because you've reached that level. I think that's great. That's part of what drives us there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
eznark said:
Now Borderlands is just sitting there in my Not Installed list...taunting me.

THIS so hard. "Not Installed?" That's not really telling the whole fucking story, Steam! :'(

Day one purchase for me. Game wasn't even on the radar (which seems to be the norm for me nowadays), but it looks sick.

Especially if wallymart lets me pimp it for 40$

Mikey Jr.

You know what would be cool?

If you can create your own vehicle for Borderlands 2. So your vehicle gets its own skill tree aswell. Like better guns, acceleration, boosts, etc. So when you get to a place that needs vehicles, you press a button and your vehicle pops up. That way, you can make a vehicle that seats 1-4 people, custom paint jobs, or even make a motorcycle.

Just something to think about for part 2.

Burger

That Giant Bomb video had me salivating. The ammo mod he had which recharges his ammo was frikkin sweet.

Can't wait till next week!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
eznark said:
Just got home to see a nice pig Steam present in the middle of my monitor. Drizzle came through on his end of the 4 pack (I paid him a couple days ago, he bought the game...a day earlier than he promised as well!)
Yeah, sorry about that. :D

Now that we have that under wraps, now all that's left to do is wait. Too bad my computer went kaput 2 days ago. I THINK it's just the PSU, but i don't know if there's some damage to the CPU or not.

I'll get a new PSU next week for sure. Here's hoping.

Also, thanks for Hawkian to making me aware that you could cancel your pre-order on steam. Steam support canceled my regular borderlands preorder in one day, so i could buy the 4pack.

Syril

garath said:
Granted I didn't play much D2, but in Diablo the worst thing I remember was town killing and item duping.

The item duping doesn't directly impact you so that shouldn't be a concern. Doing a PK hack might be an issue but it's simple enough to leave the server or kick them from your game. I really don't think it will be widespread or last long without a patch.

Either way, I can understand some reluctance, but imo, fear of the unknown isn't enough to deter me from my platform of choice here. If it's like any other MP pc game I put my hands on, I'll quickly have a list of regular people I play with and hacks won't be a concern.

You're right. Diablo 2 didn't have particularly intrusive hacking because it stored online characters on secure servers. Diablo 1 did not, and going by the information in the OP, neither does this game. I don't know if you ever played Diablo 1 online back in the day, but it wasn't a pleasant experience.

ZealousD said:
The entire in-game economy of D2 was based on duped SOJs.

And wugs.

Eric WK

Has anybody heard anything regarding midnight openings for this? I called Gamestop today and a friend of mine said he didn't think so, but then the manager said they were. But I wouldn't put it past the manager to outright lie if she thought it meant I'd preorder there so I'm not sure what to believe quite yet.

eXistor

I'm looking forward to playing this, but honestly I don't know a whole lot about the game (in my mind it's Diablo as a fps). I think, now that the game is this close to being released, I'm gonna keep myself in the dark for the last week and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

mrgone

Kestastrophe said:
What's this?

The 360 version is on for $40 at Canadian Walmarts for the week of launch according to their flyer. Futureshop had both the 360 and PS3 versions listed at the same price on their website, too.

Artadius

Apparently scans are just now hitting the web from latest GI of Epic Mickey... hoping that means we hear the Borderlands review soon as well. Anyone know details?

Eric WK

Artadius said:
Apparently scans are just now hitting the web from latest GI of Epic Mickey... hoping that means we hear the Borderlands review soon as well. Anyone?

Yeah, I would expect it to follow.

Wizman23

Banned
How do the class mods actually work? I assume these are different from your skill points. Are they items you find and have to place somewhere? For Too Human players I wonder if these are similar to runes and charms.

jabipun said:
The game doesn't have stupid ass level scaling with the enemies like Oblivion does it?

In the Giant Bomb quick look, they're killing skags at level 7, and then at level 38 visually identical skags actually take 3-4 times longer to kill :lol The skags are the same, they just have a slightly different name.

I just realized what the desolate, lifeless planet in this game reminded me of, it reminded me of the alternate Earth in Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide series, where everyone wants to get off the planet so much.

Vercingetorix said:
In the Giant Bomb quick look, they're killing skags at level 7, and then at level 38 visually identical skags actually take 3-4 times longer to kill :lol The skags are the same, they just have a slightly different name.

I just realized what the desolate, lifeless planet in this game reminded me of, it reminded me of the alternate Earth in Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide series, where everyone wants to get off the planet so much.

That is a second play through when the game has been reset through new game +.

If you get to level 30 without having beaten the game, all zones remain the same level, so the level 7 scags will still be level 7 when you go back there.

Eric WK said:
Has anybody heard anything regarding midnight openings for this? I called Gamestop today and a friend of mine said he didn't think so, but then the manager said they were. But I wouldn't put it past the manager to outright lie if she thought it meant I'd preorder there so I'm not sure what to believe quite yet.

I ain't even getting a Forza midnight.

:(

ZealousD

Eric WK said:

I doubt that they're doing a midnight opening specifically for Borderlands. FIFA and Smackdown are also coming out on the 20th, though. If your store is doing a midnight opening for either of these than you can pickup Borderlands then. Unless the manager of that GameStop is dumb or something.

elrechazao said:
That is a second play through when the game has been reset through new game +.

If you get to level 30 without having beaten the game, all zones remain the same level, so the level 7 scags will still be level 7 when you go back there.

Yeah, what I mean is that in the Giant Bomb quick look he is killing skags at level 7, and then killing visually identical skags at level 38, when they are in fact tougher relative to his character.

Ie, yes, you are fighting the exact same enemy only with a different name and different statistics. Instead of "baby pushover skag" its now "unstoppable kill-skag" only they look and act the exact same.

Artadius

Vercingetorix said:
Yeah, what I mean is that in the Giant Bomb quick look he is killing skags at level 7, and then killing visually identical skags at level 38, when they are in fact tougher relative to his character.

Ie, yes, you are fighting the exact same enemy only with a different name and different statistics. Instead of "baby pushover skag" its now "unstoppable kill-skag" only they look and act the exact same.

What's your point?

ZealousD

Vercingetorix said:

Your point? Again, they're taking a page out of Diablo. Once you beat the game, you can run through it again on a higher difficulty.

Only this time, you don't have to worry about stupid resistance gear.

Artadius said:
What's your point?

Responding to the guy asking if there is enemy level scaling like Oblivion, I was saying yeah, looks like you fight the same enemies only with different statistics slapped on, as in Oblivion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No. In Oblivion, the level of the equivalent of "level 3 skags" increased as the level of your character increased.

This is not so in Borderlands.

Obviously, enemies are tougher during a second playthrough of the game across the board.

EDIT: Teehee Zealous.

EDIT: And Artadius. :lol

ZealousD

Vercingetorix said:
Responding to the guy asking if there is enemy level scaling like Oblivion, I was saying yeah, looks like you fight the same enemies only with different statistics slapped on, as in Oblivion.

That's not what he's talking about. He's talking about enemies leveling up as you level up. When you're level 10, all the enemies in the game are lvl 10. When you're lvl 20, all the enemies in the game are lvl 20. Etc

In Borderlands, enemies only increase their level on your second playthrough.

Artadius

Vercingetorix said:

But this game doesn't scale enemies like Oblivion... which is what Oblivion does.

Enemies have a static level and statistics which only differ if you're on New Game or New Game+. Just like in Diablo with Normal and Nightmare.

Hawkian said:
No. In Oblivion, the level of the equivalent of "level 3 skags" increased as the level of your character increased.

This is not so in Borderlands.

Obviously, enemies are tougher during a second playthrough of the game across the board.

EDIT: Teehee Zealous.

EDIT: And Artadius. :lol

He wasn't playing through the same area of the game on a New Game +, he was playing in a completely different high level area where the enemies were tougher (some kind of crab things) and the skags thrown at him were the same only higher level. That was what I was saying the first time, I don't know why it's such a difficult concept to grasp.

Yeah, I know that not every enemy in the game is going to level up with you, that in low level areas they will stay low level, etc.

I thought the guy was asking if they would throw the same enemies at you at different levels, like Oblivion did. Thats why I said yeah, they have the same enemies that you fight at low and high levels. You're going to be fighting skags at level 5 and level 40, thats what I told him because that seems to be the case based on the quick look.

Edit: the confusion seems to be about what we mean by the "enemies". Yes, a "baby skag" is always going to be level 3 with weak statistics and stuff. What I was saying is that a tougher skag, the exact same but with a different name, is fought at higher levels. I don't consider "baby skag" and "super tough alpha skag" to be two different enemies just because their names and statistics are different, they share the same texture, model, AI, etc.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay... but then you answered a question he didn't ask! Enemies "scaling with you" means that as you level, they do too.

Different leveled-enemies in different areas means you can go back to a low level area as a level 50 character and one-shot everything.

EDIT: And, for that matter, that you can wander off to a high-level area and get your ass handed to you if you so choose.

ZealousD

Vercingetorix said:
He wasn't playing through the same area of the game on a New Game +, he was playing in a completely different high level area where the enemies were tougher (some kind of crab things) and the skags thrown at him were the same only higher level.

No he wasn't. Watch it again. He plainly says his soldier is on a second playthrough and the area he goes to is only shortly after the area they showcased the Co-op on.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
drizzle said:
thanks to Hawkian to making me aware that you could cancel your pre-order on steam. Steam support canceled my regular borderlands preorder in one day, so i could buy the 4pack.

No prob, drizzle my nizzle! Of course, thanks should be directed back to Peronthious, who made me aware of the same jaw-dropping fact.

As I must have mentioned earlier in this thread: preordering this game and L4D2 for the price of one new 360 game + a 6-inch meatball sub from Subway blows my mind to smithereens.

Artadius

Vercingetorix said:
He wasn't playing through the same area of the game on a New Game +, he was playing in a completely different high level area where the enemies were tougher (some kind of crab things) and the skags thrown at him were the same only higher level. That was what I was saying the first time, I don't know why it's such a difficult concept to grasp.

Yeah, I know that not every enemy in the game is going to level up with you, that in low level areas they will stay low level, etc.

I thought the guy was asking if they would throw the same enemies at you at different levels, like Oblivion did. Thats why I said yeah, they have the same enemies that you fight at low and high levels. You're going to be fighting skags at level 5 and level 40, thats what I told him because that seems to be the case based on the quick look.

Edit: the confusion seems to be about what we mean by the "enemies". Yes, a "baby skag" is always going to be level 3 with weak statistics and stuff. What I was saying is that a tougher skag, the exact same but with a different name, is fought at higher levels. I don't consider "baby skag" and "super tough alpha skag" to be two different enemies just because their names and statistics are different, they share the same texture, model, AI, etc.

They're two completely different enemies that just happen to share a similar model. Things that might be different about these enemies:

1. Level
2. Name
3. Statistics
4. Threat
5. Abilities
6. Texturing
7. AI or ability to react to your actions
8. What loot they drop, likely directly tied to point 1.

Just because they share a model doesn't really mean too much. You might think I'm nitpicking, but I think its pretty close minded to consider the above and say that lvl 3 baby scag is the same enemy as lvl 38 spitting alpha skag just because they have the same model. Fallen in Diablo II are pushovers for a new character. Dark Ones have the same model but one would mow through an army of a thousand level one characters.

Yeah, I know what you guys are saying, that the low level areas of the game will always have low level enemies in them, unlike Oblivion where every enemy in the game levels up with you.

What I thought the guy was asking was if it would be like Oblivion in the sense that you'd fight identical enemies at higher levels, just with a new name and statistics slapped on them. Ie you fight lesser skamp at level 2, but then you fight normal skamp at level 5, then uber skamp at level 10, etc. All the same enemy just made slightly bigger or something. It's the same thing in Borderlands.

I guess you guys mean something different by "levelling", but I don't know how else to describe what I mentioned above, when a game recycles the same enemy and chucks em at you with a different name/level, etc.

Edit: is there a name for the enemy recycling that I named above? I had always thought it was one of the levelling processes.

Vercingetorix said:

You don't know what enemy level scaling means apparently.

Eric WK

ZealousD said:
I doubt that they're doing a midnight opening specifically for Borderlands. FIFA and Smackdown are also coming out on the 20th, though. If your store is doing a midnight opening for either of these than you can pickup Borderlands then. Unless the manager of that GameStop is dumb or something.

Well obviously it would be for all of the games street dated for the 20th. FIFA and Borderlands for me, personally. :D

ZealousD

Eric WK said:
Well obviously it would be for all of the games street dated for the 20th. FIFA and Borderlands for me, personally. :D

Well stores only advertise midnight launches for a single game, even if there are multiple street-dated titles you can pick up. For example, there was a midnight launch for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. As a side-effect, you could pickup Scribblenauts at midnight.

I would be very surprised if there wasn't a midnight launch for either FIFA or Smackdown. In which case, than you could also pickup Borderlands.

Jayge

Vercingetorix said:

You're wrong. He was playing in the same general region as the original co-op session. He simply went into a cave-place around there. It wasn't a higher-level area. The level was simply scaled because of the NG+. I don't claim to know whether or not Skags are universally present cannon fodder, but using the Quick Look as evidence that the enemy variations aren't really present isn't really acceptable. Also, the AI for the different breeds of Skags was different, although in a relatively minor way. Different ages and types had different behaviors throughout the video.

Jayge said:
You're wrong. He was playing in the same general region as the original co-op session. He simply went into a cave-place around there. It wasn't a higher-level area. The level was simply scaled because of the NG+. I don't claim to know whether or not Skags are universally present cannon fodder, but using the Quick Look as evidence that the enemy variations aren't really present isn't really acceptable. Also, the AI for the different breeds of Skags was different, although in a relatively minor way. Different ages and types had different behaviors throughout the video.

Here's where we differ. Obviously some of the skags had projectile attacks, but the ones he faced at level 38 were identical to earlier ones they faced at level 10, exact same model and texture, exact same behaviour (running straight at player). You're kidding yourself if you think those are different enemies.

Jayge

Vercingetorix said:
Here's where we differ. Obviously some of the skags had projectile attacks, but the ones he faced at level 38 were identical to earlier ones they faced at level 10, exact same model and texture, exact same behaviour (running straight at player). You're kidding yourself if you think those are different enemies.
They were identical creatures, simply scaled up in level *because the entire game scaled up in level*. I don't know why that's so hard for you to understand :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just finished the Quick Look myself.

Thoughts:

-It is obvious and clear that the posters above me claiming it was the same area he killed the higher-level skags on his second playthough are correct. He says, "it'll be almost exactly the same area" just before they load it up.
-Infinite Sprint? YES PLEASE.
-Mmm, shared ammo and health pickups. There really should be a loot assigning system, don't you think?
-I did not realize there was use-based weapon class proficiency. This pleases the Hawk greatly.
-A weapon called the Bone Shredder? Does he have a lot of unique quest-based weapons? I hope that procedural weapons sometimes have totally badass names like that...
-arrrrgh jesus christ want now.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to include...
I grow bullets.

Top Bottom