• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Blizzard said:
Who says the load times are zippy on PC? In multiplayer co-op, it just took like 25 seconds to load Arid Hills. :( And I have a 7200 rpm hard disk, I think...

8800gt
E6600 Core 2 Duo
4gig Ram
Vista32
10,000rpm Raptor

Loadtimes zippy for me :D

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
has anyone had problems accepting invites for online matches? it tries to connect and then just times out.

2 oranges, 1 purple from a chest drop. Not bad :lol

Im on the final mission now (well, I assume it is) and I love the game, but the end has taken a dip in quality, IMO. And I dont like the environment at the very end either, but whatever.

Borderlands <3

Insaniac said:
man, anyone who hasn't tried a gunslinger build needs to try it. You know it's good when you pull the trigger and you've fired off two rounds before you realize it.

http://borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#11500505550030005500052

thats what i've used and I've got a machine pistol with a 14.4 fire rate and 50 rounds mag. Just run up and pound enemies in the head for massive crit damage.

I've also got a 7x59 revolver right now that is just ridiculous

I'm going all out with the gunslinger. So I'm using this:
http://borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#11500500050500005505055
I think quick reload speed is pretty important for a pistol/revolver hunter. And you don't need any snipers either if you have a scoped revolver.

Just started playing today on the PC version. Got up to level 20 as Roland and I think I want to reroll as Mordecai. I'm just really liking the Sniper Rifles more than the other guns and Bloodwing seems interesting.

So does the rogue tree increase the chance to get better loot from drops and chests? Because on my mordecai, I had found about 4 orange items as a gunslinger till about 30. After playing for 2 hours at level 30 as rogue spec I found 6. In two hours...

I've been playing this on PC since Friday and I really like it. I'm the Soldier and around level 21 so far. I like its looks, the feel of the game, it gets a lot right and in general is fair and not frustrating. However a few things I don't like.
When you swap weapons you ALWAYS get the animation of reloading. This is a nuisance if you quickly want to swap to your shotgun because someone is running right at you. By the time the animation is over they've already hit you if you don't back away. It's unnecessary and gets in the way.
You can't make your own way-points on the map (unless I'm wrong) and the markers on the map aren't named so finding an exit to another area can be bothersome.
And lastly the respawns seem to happen right in front of your eyes sometimes, appear as if by magic. But these are mild grievances and doesn't detract from the game. Oh, except that it did crash and lock up my PC today (this is a Steamed game).
Anyway, enjoying it all the same.

Jayge

I don't know if I asked this already but... I've already technically completed the game on Playthrough 1 even though none of the progress was actually logged since it was a friend's game who was farther than me (I wanted it that way). I'm now out of quests everywhere except for the one that tells me to get another piece of the vault key or whatever (the one that starts you on the final arc). The problem is, I know there's more shit to do in Old Haven, as I've only done the smoke signals quest. I haven't gotten "Made in New Haven" yet either so I know I'm not done. Where should I look?

Jayge said:
I don't know if I asked this already but... I've already technically completed the game on Playthrough 1 even though none of the progress was actually logged since it was a friend's game who was farther than me (I wanted it that way). I'm now out of quests everywhere except for the one that tells me to get another piece of the vault key or whatever (the one that starts you on the final arc). The problem is, I know there's more shit to do in Old Haven, as I've only done the smoke signals quest. I haven't gotten "Made in New Haven" yet either so I know I'm not done. Where should I look?

Do you hear claptrap telling you "XXX has new missions for you at XXX" at all when zoning in and out of areas?

Jayge

elrechazao said:
Do you hear claptrap telling you "XXX has new missions for you at XXX" at all when zoning in and out of areas?
Nope. He was doing that for Crazy Earl
so then I went and released his little dog
and that was it.

Just got back to playing this game today. Man this game is massive. I've been to loads of new areas today. It's crazy.

BTW what did the patch do?

Also a little annoyance in this game is when you get out of a vehicle (and possible go into a new area?) it'll only give your gun the default ammo capacity.

Shurs

I started the game yesterday on PS3. I'm really enjoying it and I haven't even played it co-op yet. I'm waiting until I level up my character a bit more before I jump into playing with other people. This is the first "loot reward" game I've played and I love it. The feeling you get when you get a cool weapon is fantastic.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Teknoman said:
Doesnt that minus damage % hurt the guns usefulness?

No. Most of the time when you find something other than a shotgun that shoots like a shotgun it will have minus damage on it. Otherwise they'd be ridiculously overpowered.

kylej

Banned
oh my fucking god the playthrough 2 mothrakk has killed me like 6 times when he has no visible health left. fuck me

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Slackbladder said:
When you swap weapons you ALWAYS get the animation of reloading. This is a nuisance if you quickly want to swap to your shotgun because someone is running right at you. By the time the animation is over they've already hit you if you don't back away. It's unnecessary and gets in the way.

This isn't true. It is only true when you switch weapons after you need to reload. When you switch weapons, you will cock your weapon, but not reload it if it doesn't need reloading. It's a very short animation.

Gonna check if my friend the Mothrakk is still present and if he'll come bearing gifts again. :)
It's a pretty cool glitch actually, makes things a bit more interesting as I'm now pretty much massacring fools in the first zone. Plus the thing looks pretty majestic swooping around.

kylej said:
oh my fucking god the playthrough 2 mothrakk has killed me like 6 times when he has no visible health left. fuck me

Easiest way to kill this thing is to put a machine gun on your car instead of the rocket launcher(because who doesnt always use the rocket launcher?), then lock onto it and just hold down the shoot button while you drive around in circles. It takes a good 5 minutes or so to kill it, but if you keep boosting and driving you can actually get through the entire "fight" unscathed.

Also, there is another one of these things in the northern part of Rust Commons West.

How is the endgame once you hit 50? Borderlands doesn't really seem to have dungeons like Diablo or PSO, where you battle to the end for sick boss loot. Do you guys just do quests together or grind Old Haven or something?

Also what do you do once you've played through a second time? Can you go back and do quests again?

Weird. those that are running the PC Version have their graphics setting reset on them? I just loaded up the game and everything had reset

Blizzard

Banned
Deadly said:
Am I the only one whose Willow files got reset this morning?
I fortunately kept a backup, but it kept resetting my .ini file stuff. Maybe daylight savings time did screw it up, but it was really annoying.

Side note, if no one pointed it out, third-person view only works in single-player (or maybe if you're hosting?). I haven't checked single-player load times lately. I have an e8400, 4GB RAM, 7200rpm hard disk I think, 512MB HD4850, windows 7 64-bit RC, and 8% fragmented hard disk. Might defrag it soon.

Has anyone else joined someone random and ended up with cheats? I played last night for a while, and the framerate seemed a little iffy/stuttery, but otherwise it was okay and not really laggy. Also apparently my mic was noisy then (other people hadn't complained about it but I dunno). I kept going to buy ammo and noticing I was totally full on all counts, but we were getting lots of SMG drops so I just ignored it and figured maybe I was picking it up without noticing.

Then as the host was gonna leave he mentioned that he had infinite ammo on as a cheat. =( And I didn't even know, oh well. Also one guy had these crazy fiery phoenix wings on Lilith at like L15, so I don't know if that was a cheat or a different skill than Phoenix (I'm a few points away and I'm at like L18).

I guess even with my online co-op character I need to do some single-player quests to find claptraps. I'm L18 with only 15 slots, which really sucks.

Finally, a question: Where do you go to change the class mod, the skill screen? I clicked on an incendiary mod and it seemed to instantly apply, but I didn't know where since I figured it wasn't just something permanent. That mod DOES seem like it'd be pretty awesome for now, though, since Lilith gets some sort of ball of flame in addition to her shock damage, corrosive melee, and so forth.

vhfive

Reno7728 said:
Are there any strategies for Car-Car combat other than drive around in circles and spam the rocket launcher?
machine gun.
always take the machine gun car no matter what the situation.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Blizzard said:
I fortunately kept a backup, but it kept resetting my .ini file stuff. Maybe daylight savings time did screw it up, but it was really annoying.

Side note, if no one pointed it out, third-person view only works in single-player (or maybe if you're hosting?). I haven't checked single-player load times lately. I have an e8400, 4GB RAM, 7200rpm hard disk I think, 512MB HD4850, windows 7 64-bit RC, and 8% fragmented hard disk. Might defrag it soon.

Has anyone else joined someone random and ended up with cheats? I played last night for a while, and the framerate seemed a little iffy/stuttery, but otherwise it was okay and not really laggy. Also apparently my mic was noisy then (other people hadn't complained about it but I dunno). I kept going to buy ammo and noticing I was totally full on all counts, but we were getting lots of SMG drops so I just ignored it and figured maybe I was picking it up without noticing.

Then as the host was gonna leave he mentioned that he had infinite ammo on as a cheat. =( And I didn't even know, oh well. Also one guy had these crazy fiery phoenix wings on Lilith at like L15, so I don't know if that was a cheat or a different skill than Phoenix (I'm a few points away and I'm at like L18).

I guess even with my online co-op character I need to do some single-player quests to find claptraps. I'm L18 with only 15 slots, which really sucks.

Finally, a question: Where do you go to change the class mod, the skill screen? I clicked on an incendiary mod and it seemed to instantly apply, but I didn't know where since I figured it wasn't just something permanent. That mod DOES seem like it'd be pretty awesome for now, though, since Lilith gets some sort of ball of flame in addition to her shock damage, corrosive melee, and so forth.

In single-player or hosting a game, third person view works. The host must also have this tweak in their config and your same keybinding for it to work in a coop game you didn't host.

You mean artifacts; class mods are applied on your inventory like anything else. Artifacts are to the left of your action skill on the skill screen, you can click that to remove or switch between them. Nice, once applied they don't take up inventory space.

Reno7728 said:
Are there any strategies for Car-Car combat other than drive around in circles and spam the rocket launcher?

I assume you are aware you can lock-on holding the jump button?

VibratingDonkey said:
Gonna check if my friend the Mothrakk is still present and if he'll come bearing gifts again. :)
It's a pretty cool glitch actually, makes things a bit more interesting as I'm now pretty much massacring fools in the first zone. Plus the thing looks pretty majestic swooping around.

Not sure what glitch you mean, but everybody respawns on login. Go solo Sledge if you feel like it. (I just did this, somebody ninja'd the shotgun on my actual quest killing of him and I wanted to see what a 0 accuracy gun was like. Fought my way out of the mine stabbing bitches with this thing :D)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
DMPrince said:
Weird. those that are running the PC Version have their graphics setting reset on them? I just loaded up the game and everything had reset

Yeah, my resolution was dropped to its default. Was odd.

Hunter and Soldier are too much fun.

MattPeters said:
2 oranges, 1 purple from a chest drop. Not bad :lol

Im on the final mission now (well, I assume it is) and I love the game, but the end has taken a dip in quality, IMO. And I dont like the environment at the very end either, but whatever.

Borderlands <3

Yeah the end is shitty.

Anyway, probably a dumb question, but to get to 42 inventory, can you just repair claptraps on a second playthrough, or do you have to find them all your 1st run?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
EDIT: Not sure what you mean, but I hopefully answered your question below.

You can switch between 1st and 2nd playthrough anytime you start a game, so you can always go back and get any you missed. Your second playthrough you can get one more for a total of 45 apparently, and which one seems random.

BTW, Sledge's Shotgun is great fun. It seems to push enemies back with each shot, which is not an effect I've seen anywhere else. I also love where the blade is. Shotguns with blades work awesome with Lethal Strike, I am officially in the market for a high level one.

Hawkian said:
EDIT: Not sure what you mean, but I hopefully answered your question below.

You can switch between 1st and 2nd playthrough anytime you start a game, so you can always go back and get any you missed. Your second playthrough you can get one more for a total of 45 apparently, and which one seems random.

BTW, Sledge's Shotgun is great fun. It seems to push enemies back with each shot, which is not an effect I've seen anywhere else. I also love where the blade is. Shotguns with blades work awesome with Lethal Strike, I am officially in the market for a high level one.

Just talking about the "Repair enough claptraps to earn 42 inventory slots" achievement.

Reno7728

I assume you are aware you can lock-on holding the jump button?

Yes, but i find it fairly useless as you have to lead target anyway, is it as vhfive said quicker to destroy a car with the machine gun?

vhfive

LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah the end is shitty.

Anyway, probably a dumb question, but to get to 42 inventory, can you just repair claptraps on a second playthrough, or do you have to find them all your 1st run?
you can get it on your second playthrough

kylej

Banned
Pyke Presco said:
Easiest way to kill this thing is to put a machine gun on your car instead of the rocket launcher(because who doesnt always use the rocket launcher?), then lock onto it and just hold down the shoot button while you drive around in circles. It takes a good 5 minutes or so to kill it, but if you keep boosting and driving you can actually get through the entire "fight" unscathed.

Also, there is another one of these things in the northern part of Rust Commons West.

Yeah I used my SMG and donged on him. Just picked up an Eridion cannon that does 1600 damage per shot. too bad I never use those alien guns.

MrDaravon

Woo-Fu said:
On pc your money display caps at 9,999,999 but it keeps going up even though you can't see it. I hit that somewhere in my early-40s. I can tell it keeps going because I can buy something from the vending machine and the display stays at 9,999,999.

Yup, which is kind of lame. Does anyone recall offhand what % of your money you lose when you die? It's kinda sad that you have to die to see your respawn fee to figure out how much money you have. My last death cost like 6.5 million :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you know your host is leaving, quit (or hit a shiny green pole) before they do. The kick-back to menu does not include a save, just lost a couple nice things :(

SailorDaravon said:
Yup, which is kind of lame. Does anyone recall offhand what % of your money you lose when you die? It's kinda sad that you have to die to see your respawn fee to figure out how much money you have. My last death cost like 6.5 million :lol
It varies doesn't depending on where your at in the game?

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Just finished the game for the first time. Since a handvol of my friend just got started, I'll probably play some more with them. I really enjoy this game, but man, I expected so much more from the story.
You're chasing the vault, but in the end there really isn't much vault, just a really ugly monster? WTF is up with that? Also, why Gearbox, why, ditch all the background stories the characters had? Some character development would've made the story so much deeper. I guess there was no money left for a proper amount of characters, story and cutscenes. Shit, half of the people that give you missions are generic townspeople/bandit characters. Unique, story-related characters must be around ten or something.

I dunno, maybe I came in with unrealistic expectations, I read somewhere they ditched the background of characters after adapting the new visual style, which makes me wonder: why? Could've been so much more story-wise. Everything else is great, love the gunplay, weapons, world and setting - it's just that too me, this doesn't even closely resemble an RPG.

Firehead

Hawkian said:
If you know your host is leaving, quit (or hit a shiny green pole) before they do. The kick-back to menu does not include a save, just lost a couple nice things :(
Yeah, sorry again. ):

Rei_Toei said:
Just finished the game for the first time. Since a handvol of my friend just got started, I'll probably play some more with them. I really enjoy this game, but man, I expected so much more from the story.
You're chasing the vault, but in the end there really isn't much vault, just a really ugly monster? WTF is up with that? Also, why Gearbox, why, ditch all the background stories the characters had? Some character development would've made the story so much deeper. I guess there was no money left for a proper amount of characters, story and cutscenes. Shit, half of the people that give you missions are generic townspeople/bandit characters. Unique, story-related characters must be around ten or something.

I dunno, maybe I came in with unrealistic expectations, I read somewhere they ditched the background of characters after adapting the new visual style, which makes me wonder: why? Could've been so much more story-wise. Everything else is great, love the gunplay, weapons, world and setting - it's just that too me, this doesn't even closely resemble an RPG.

I think a meatier story would have diminished a lot of the replay value.

As it is now, I can jump in and play with some friends and look for better loot or level a character. Or continue a second playthrough by myself and not worry about the story.

If it were heavier on story, cutscenes and length, I probably would have just played it once with one character and never touched it again.

For me they hit that perfect balance on re-playability just like Left 4 Dead, and I'll probably be playing a very long time.

JeanJule

Banned
Is there something I am doing wrong at the final boss? I am playing as Mordecai, lvl 34 and cannot beat him: hardest boss by far, even the Rakk Hive was easier. Anyone care to give me a hint?

Lovin' the game so far though: played around 9 hours of it today, with Forza 3 staring at me from the table!

JeanJule said:
Is there something I am doing wrong at the final boss? I am playing as Mordecai, lvl 34 and cannot beat him: hardest boss by far, even the Rakk Hive was easier. Anyone care to give me a hint?

Lovin' the game so far though: played around 9 hours of it today, with Forza 3 staring at me from the table!

Weird, I thought he was super easy, he just sat there and looked at me while I shot him up.

JeanJule said:

I found around the left side theres a rock wall you can crouch on top of/behind. He wont do any attacks other than the laser beam, so if you just crouch when he does that you'll be fine. I found the ground smash was blowing me off the edge on the second playthrough so had to find soemthing new, and this worked for me.

Sandman42 said:
dropping the resolution seems to help big time for me. But yeah, it's hardly optimized well.

Something really weird happened to me, the first time I played it I had the settings maxed out and it was skipping like mad so I lowered everything to medium. Today I maxed everything out again and it ran as smooth as butter and played for an hour or two with no problems, my PC is decent which is why I first tried it with max settings. I have no idea what the problem was...

Top Bottom