• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Cahill

Banned
Katana_Strikes said:
Is there just enough ClapTraps to do the 42 slots? Or is there more?

I only need to find one more for 42 that's all.

There are only enough for the 42.

I'm in New Haven (second playthrough) and still haven't gotten my last 3 slots. Grrr.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Starting to get tired of my Eridian weapon. Was cool at first, but I'm up to lvl 28 (limit of 24 on the weapon) and it's just not holding up very well. It's the one with the sniper rifle icon; eats through shields well enough, but the damage is pretty bad, and the recharge time takes FOREVER. I tried using it a lot to level my Eridian skill to help with damage and recharge, but frankly I just don't think it's worth the effort at this point and will probably just wait and put more effort into it when I find a better one down the road.
DenogginizerOS said:
Gearbox not having a patch for PC that fixes the Gamespy arcade stuff is really annoying. Ugh.
What are the problems? Invite/join works fine for me and I don't really use it for anything else.

Only problem I've had is that one guy friended me yesterday and even though I accepted it he didn't show on my list. Easily solved by me just sending a friend invitation back, though.

::edit::
Did you just mean various connection/netcode problems? I assumed at first you just meant the menus and such. Yes, I've had the connection problems fairly frequently.

DenogginizerOS said:
Gearbox not having a patch for PC that fixes the Gamespy arcade stuff is really annoying. Ugh.

Hell ive been gimped from playing as my buddys game constantly black screens requiring a hard reset :( Theres a pretty big thread about it on the official forums, some say temps but his are fine. Im guessing its a driver issue (fucking drivers.......). Who knows, PC's eh :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
In my pipe dream this game was fully incorporated into Steam with Steamworks and it I could connect to co-op as easily as I can in Left 4 Dead. I also saw dedicated servers which allowed me to snipe without having to compensate for the lag every time I went for a headshot. There were Steam achievements and you could sync your current load out of weapons so it could be viewed on the community page. Also on the community page would be your skill tree set up for each character you have. They also might have had a quest list that you could check to see how many times you had completed quests and the whole game (sort of like a checklist) and this would of course be sorted by main quest and then side quests in each zone.

It was a really good pipe dream.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Valve, Steam, and pipe dreams go well together. I'd have preferred it be this way too but it's not. Perhaps they'll drop Gamespy like a ton of bricks for the sequel.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hawkian said:
Valve, Steam, and pipe dreams go well together. I'd have preferred it be this way too but it's not. Perhaps they'll drop Gamespy like a ton of bricks for the sequel.

I'm praying they drop Gamespy. I wish that service would die already. It was like running into a brick wall trying to figure out UT3 co-op with it and it's a brick wall here too.

Sai-kun

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
13z483s.jpg
+ Plaguebearer = win

I have this on my Hunter. I love it so freaking much. :D

ObiDin

Hawkian said:
I too TRIED to kill Bonehead before I could, I think this was intentional. It was being like, "hey here's a quest that demonstrates how this game will kick your ass." But I got both quests, and just thought, okay, I'll go try talking to TK first. I think this is how they meant for you to experience it. It wasn't too long after that that a single critical dropped bonehead to the ground (he respawns every game, by the way, if you feel like paying a visit or getting a copy of his god-awful gun).

It did teach me that you could take multiple quests at once, but it seems like that 20 minute period of frustration(thinking I had to fight Bonehead and getting my ass handed to me repeatedly) could have been avoided with a tip saying that you can accept more than one quest at a time and changing the "Hard" label on a simple quest to "Trivial" would have been a better solution.

Oh well, I have a level 26 Soldier, level 11 Hunter and level 10 Brick so it didn't turn me away from the game. :)

Sai-kun said:
I have this on my Hunter. I love it so freaking much. :D

One shotting Crimson Lance is awesome.

Katana_Strikes said:
^ what do the red text words mean? Like the aboves "Give Sick" Are they just some quirky humour to go with weapons or do they mean something more?

Give Sick = x4 Corrosive

It is just like how "We don't need no water..." is on Hellfires.

Unicorn

Cahill said:
There are only enough for the 42.

I'm in New Haven (second playthrough) and still haven't gotten my last 3 slots. Grrr.
After you beat the game on your first playthrough
go back to OLD Haven and there will be a new claptrap hidden inside one of the buildings. That's the last claptrap.

Unicorn said:
go back to OLD Haven and there will be a new claptrap hidden inside one of the buildings. That's the last claptrap.

So there are
two claptraps in Old Haven on the second playthrough? I saved one there already on my first run through the game.

Cahill

Banned
Unicorn said:

Hmm.. I got all 42 on my first playthrough - as did the guy I co-op with. In playthrough 2 it was my game and he got another 3 slots from the Hidden Cave claptrap (totalling 45) while I didn't. Others have said they got the extra 3 in playthrough 2 in New Haven. Once again... I didn't. Seems odd.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I checked around. Apparenetly on your second playthrough a RANDOM claptrap will get you the final three for a total of 45, encouraging you to help them all out a second time. It doesn't seem to certain one those is guaranteed to give it on your second playthrough.

Unicorn

funkmastergeneral said:
So there are
two claptraps in Old Haven on the second playthrough? I saved one there already on my first run through the game.
No. Go back on playthrough 1.
Cahill said:
Hmm.. I got all 42 on my first playthrough - as did the guy I co-op with. In playthrough 2 it was my game and he got another 3 slots from the Hidden Cave claptrap (totalling 45) while I didn't. Others have said they got the extra 3 in playthrough 2 in New Haven. Once again... I didn't. Seems odd.
It's a glitch. Sucks when you don't luck out like others though, heh.

MMaRsu

I'm lvl 26, where am I supposed to find Old Haven? Or is that waaaay above my level? I'm not finding enough cool instances.. I also dislike the fact I can't see on the map where a certain transition leads, and that I can't set waypoints to them.

Kind of weird tbh. Anyway anyone got some nice instances for me to grind for orange weapons @ my level?

Lvl 26 Siren and kicking mad ass.

MMaRsu said:
I'm lvl 26, where am I supposed to find Old Haven? Or is that waaaay above my level? I'm not finding enough cool instances.. I also dislike the fact I can't see on the map where a certain transition leads, and that I can't set waypoints to them.

Kind of weird tbh. Anyway anyone got some nice instances for me to grind for orange weapons @ my level?

well i am lvl 28 and i got it handed to me in old haven so i think i may need to lvl up some more.

MMaRsu said:

wait til level 28

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So guys, I know a workaround to the 4-item stats per card glitch-thing was already posted, but a true fix was found (as I sensed it would be) on the GBX forums.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=1626085&postcount=258

Or not needing the jump, basically:

In your actual Borderlands program folder- steamapps for Steam users:

\WillowGame\Localization\INT\gd_globals.INT

Make a backup copy of it just in case.

Open that file with wordpad or whatever.

Replace:
AttributePresentationTranslation="$NUMBER$ $CONSTRAINT$ $DESCRIPTION$"

With:
AttributePresentationTranslation="<font size='11'>$NUMBER$ $CONSTRAINT$ $DESCRIPTION$</font>"

I have chosen 11 here, but you can go for whatever you want. No items seem to show more than 5 lines of stats; not sure if this is by design or what. Anyway, you could probably go to 12 comfortably. With 11 you can still easily read item descriptions on the ground, but I think 12 would still allow for 5 lines. Some people on the forums went with 8 which looks totally insane to me.

Img grabbed from their forum to show this in practice (as you can see by the first it applies to all items; as you can see by the second it will reveal previously cut off stats):
2ir1ym9.jpg

As as aside, I just wanted to say that the intrepid gamers on the Gearbox forums are one of the most resourceful groups of people I have ever seen in an online community. Nearly everything I could have desired to tweak and then some has already been posted with easy-to-follow instructions on the forums. I love the game; the community has really let me get the most out of it.

Anyway, since seeing weapon stats is a good thing, I highly recommend this tweak.

ConsoleGAF... er... patch is coming :-/

Any mods over 5 are still "hidden," unfortunately, maybe by design. Anyway, do this.

Firestorm

Yeah Hawkian I did it after seeing your first post =p
MMaRsu said:

You do not want to go to that place a LV26. Goddamn. Party of 4 at LV29ish and we were struggling. Super fun though. Game needs more places with that type of combat. =( I feel like I should have just ran through the story for the first and second playthrough and then done the sidequests after hitting LV50 =/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Firestorm said:
=( I feel like I should have just ran through the story for the first and second playthrough and then done the sidequests after hitting LV50 =/

Basically what I'm doing now, or maybe not 50, but after I beat my first playthrough or whatever. Definitely keeps you on your toes. However, I heard that after you beat the second playthrough that character's second playthrough difficulty gets another boost, and most enemies are all level 50, so there's a lot of challenge.

Sorry, Hawkian, didn't see that!

So, I have an interesting story...On November 1st, daylight savings time went into effect. I don't know if it affected people here, but my .ini was reset, somehow. Lost all my tweaks and resolution, all that. In addition, I could no longer host games! Got the same timeout connection problems.

Being the careful gamer I am, I had backed up my .inis. So I restored them, and bam, my settings are back, AND, I can host games. What the hell?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hawkian said:
Basically what I'm doing now, or maybe not 50, but after I beat my first playthrough or whatever. Definitely keeps you on your toes. However, I heard that after you beat the second playthrough that character's second playthrough difficulty gets another boost, and most enemies are all level 50, so there's a lot of challenge.
Jeff, from GiantBomb, said in some podcast that if you want to make the sidequests, do them before you finish your second playthrough, because once you finish it, all the enemies go to level 50 and that makes soloing pretty impossible.

Firestorm

drizzle said:
Jeff, from GiantBomb, said in some podcast that if you want to make the sidequests, do them before you finish your second playthrough, because once you finish it, all the enemies go to level 50 and that makes soloing pretty impossible.
That's why I want to do them after LV50. So they're a challenge. I don't play alone anyway.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Honestly, I hadn't thought about it once. I'll never be able to unthink that it's a direct reference now :lol

Firestorm

True Story: I was in the Salt Lands or whatever before I found out about "Item of the Day" in the right hand side of the shops :( Yep. After almost 20 hours of play, at lv30, I found out the best weapons are in a location I never looked. No wonder I have 700k.

Firestorm said:
True Story: I was in the Salt Lands or whatever before I found out about "Item of the Day" in the right hand side of the shops :( Yep. After almost 20 hours of play, at lv30, I found out the best weapons are in a location I never looked. No wonder I have 700k.
Wat?

Cahill

Banned
Firestorm said:

LOL! Don't sweat it. I knew about it but only bought a few things between my 45, 13, 11 and 7 characters. Last night I said screw it, bought a 3+ Mil rocket launcher to mess around with. 10 minutes later I found a better one in a chest...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sad story:

I got a great Anarchy (multishot SMG) in the Mad Mel fight while playing with Hazaro and loved it. Got to New Haven and saw one in the vending machine with exactly the same stats except twice the base damge. Sold the old and got the new immediately and rejoiced. Hazaro then disconnected, causing a nosave quit. I loaded up and the new gun was gone :( The vending machine had a totally different gun this time, of course. At least the old one was back in the inventory. I still use it, but it makes me sad knowing I had one twice as good in my hands so easily before, haven't seen a single further one since :p

I got lucky in Old Haven. Picked up a sniper with ~300 damage and 4x Fire damage (which seems to go off with each shot!). Also my Soilder is spec'd for turret awesomeness with 3x Fire damage on the turret. Old Haven is a walk through :)

How much longer is the game after you'd done with Old Haven?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's probably a Volcano (Pele demands a sacrifice!) which means it WILL go off every shot.

By the way, fun fact to know and tell: Snipers charge like in TF2. Equip a fire or explosive sniper, fire a first shot and immediately fire a second and look how much smaller the second blast is.

Nome

SundaySounds said:
Rakk Hive: Bigger disappointment than Killer Croc? This guy thinks so.

Borderlands end-game spoiler follows.
Destroyer: Bigger disappointment than Titan Joker
:lol

Top Bottom