• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Pookaki said:
The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned out Nov. 24th

Up level cap? I cant imagine they will let us max out 3 trees.

I think raising the level cap but not giving us more skill points would be the way to go. Raise the skill cap by a lot and make loot scale with your level would be greats, adds a lot more replayability then we currently have.

Amneisac

Well, I don't know about "maxing out" as in every point in every tree. Did you just mean it would make it so you could get the final 5 point talent in every tree?

ObiDin

Amneisac said:
Well, I don't know about "maxing out" as in every point in every tree. Did you just mean it would make it so you could get the final 5 point talent in every tree?

21 Abilities @ 5pts ea. = 105
1 Skill @ 5pts = 5
Total = 110 pts or levels.

Amneisac

Yeah, I understand that. What I'm saying is, maybe they didn't mean maxing out as in EVERY POINT in EVERY TREE, but instead getting the final 5 point talent in every tree.

As in:

3 trees with 3 tiers that require 5 points to advance to the next tier for a total of 20 points per tree / 60 points overall.

Ya dig?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Amneisac said:
Yeah, I understand that. What I'm saying is, maybe they didn't mean maxing out as in EVERY POINT in EVERY TREE, but instead getting the final 5 point talent in every tree.

As in:

3 trees with 3 tiers that require 5 points to advance to the next tier for a total of 20 points per tree / 60 points overall.

Ya dig?

Actually, I don't understand.

First, it isn't really "advancement," you just need certain numbers of total points to unlock the next tier.

Tier 1 is unlocked by default after you spend you first skill point on your ability. Tier 2 requires 5 points, Tier 3 10 points, and Tier 4 15 points. Since there is no tier 5, you don't need 5 more points to unlock everything.

That is, 15 points per tree.

So that'd be 46 points (all of them) to unlock every tier. But you'd only have three skills maxed of each tree (or points split between them), and no points in the tier 4 skills at all.

Amneisac

Hawkian said:
Actually, I don't understand.

First, it isn't really "advancement," you just need certain numbers of total points to unlock the next tier.

Tier 1 is unlocked by default after you spend you first skill point on your ability. Tier 2 requires 5 points, Tier 3 10 points, and Tier 4 15 points. Since there is no tier 5, you don't need 5 more points to unlock everything.

That is, 15 points per tree.

So that'd be 46 points (all of them) to unlock every tier. But you'd only have three skills maxed of each tree (or points split between them), and no points in the tier 4 skills at all.

Skill-Tree_Berserker-Overview.jpg

All I was saying it, maybe the earlier poster meant maxing out as in having 5 points in each of the "final" or "top tier" talents of each tree:

5 points to advance to tier two +
5 points to advance to tier three +
5 points to advance to the final fourth tier +
5 points to finish off the final fourth tier =
20 points x
3 trees =
60 points (and of course the initial point to unlock the trees)

Saerk

Do class mods boost your skills over 5 pts (say I have 5 impact and the mod has +2 impact)? Or does it only cap at 5, and anything past that is a waste?

What i would like for added longevity is proper updates.

Maybe:

Dlc 1 - Raises Level cap by 5 levels
Dlc 2 - Raises Level cap by 5 levels

Patch 1.5 - Extends and tweaks talent trees, adds new achievements for next dlc

Dlc 3 - +5 levels
Dlc 4 - +5 levels

Patch 2.0 - Support for massive dlc

Big 1600MSP expansion esque dlc - Adds 20 more levels, extends the story, A new base ability for all the classes?

Hugbot

Subliminal42 said:
What i would like for added longevity is proper updates.

Maybe:

Dlc 1 - Raises Level cap by 5 levels
Dlc 2 - Raises Level cap by 5 levels

Patch 1.5 - Extends and tweaks talent trees, adds new achievements for next dlc

Dlc 3 - +5 levels
Dlc 4 - +5 levels

Patch 2.0 - Support for massive dlc

Big 1600MSP expansion esque dlc - Adds 20 more levels, extends the story, A new base ability for all the classes?

I'd love to see a proper platform in a not-rockband game. I certainly don't feel cheated by the day one contents of the box, and as long as the DLC is not lacking would love for one expansion to essentially be split among 4 packs, with a second full-on expansion down the line. It'd be fascinating to see more games following the Fallout 3 model, since regardless of your opinion of the individual DLC items, they did wonders to increase the longevity of that game, and a large expansion at the end would arguably have been a big success.

I also have a question! In the 360 version, some strange voodoo is happening between a friend and myself. We absolutely cannot join the other's game. He can send an invite and I'll accept, and it just takes us back the the screen we were on when it happened. The opposite is also true, and it happens regardless of public/private. It looks like a few people are having this issue but I can't find a workaround online, and figured if anyone knew it'd be GAF.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Amneisac said:
All I was saying it, maybe the earlier poster meant maxing out as in having 5 points in each of the "final" or "top tier" talents of each tree:

I don't know who the original poster was, but to me that doesn't even come close to what I'd consider "maxing out" all three trees. That kind of a build would sort of spread you very thin, at best you'd be missing all but three skills in a tree or have only 1 or 2 points in a bunch of them.

To clarify: even with 60 points, splitting all points evenly between the three trees wouldn't make that effective a build. "Maxing out" the trees to me would mean, if not having all 5 points in every skill, at least having a handful with 5 and the rest with 3. The former would take 110 points, the latter 70-80?

Dunlop

Anyone know if they are working on a fix for not being able to see the 5th line bonus on class mods with consoles?

I'm gettng tired of wasting money buying new mercenary mods hoping that the ammo regen will be there :D

Tortfeasor

Saerk said:
Do class mods boost your skills over 5 pts (say I have 5 impact and the mod has +2 impact)? Or does it only cap at 5, and anything past that is a waste?

Can someone answer this definitively? I have been wondering myself.

Dunlop

Tortfeasor said:
Can someone answer this definitively? I have been wondering myself.

It will go higher than 5, it has been proven on the boards.

For my brick I can make his beserk timer every 5 seconds because of a +4 mod (thus givin him a 9 in the skill).

I'd give you the real names but I'm at work and stuck behind a firewall

FooTemps

Hawkian said:
I don't know who the original poster was, but to me that doesn't even come close to what I'd consider "maxing out" all three trees. That kind of a build would sort of spread you very thin, at best you'd be missing all but three skills in a tree or have only 1 or 2 points in a bunch of them.

To clarify: even with 60 points, splitting all points evenly between the three trees wouldn't make that effective a build. "Maxing out" the trees to me would mean, if not having all 5 points in every skill, at least having a handful with 5 and the rest with 3. The former would take 110 points, the latter 70-80?

umm... you might just be a completion whore :D

You wouldn't be spread thin at all. Think about how broken you could be if you had maxed tier 4 skills in every tree plus nine other maxed skills that synergize well. If Lilith is already broken at level 50 WITHOUT one of her tier 4 skills, just imagine having all three. The game would get boring fast because every enemy would basically become the equivalent of a pup skag with a gun.

ObiDin

Amneisac said:

5 points to advance to tier two +
5 points to advance to tier three +
5 points to advance to the final fourth tier +
5 points to finish off the final fourth tier =
20 points x
3 trees =
60 points (and of course the initial point to unlock the trees)

What point would there be to having abilities unlocked but unused? I would like a significant level upgrade at each DLC. Raising the cap 10 levels would allow much more flexibility with your character and because there are 60 potential levels/points still available as it stands then they could have 6 DLC's before maxing out their system and moving onto a sequel.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
FooTemps said:
umm... you might just be a completion whore :D

You wouldn't be spread thin at all. Think about how broken you could be if you had maxed tier 4 skills in every tree plus nine other maxed skills that synergize well. If Lilith is already broken at level 50 WITHOUT one of her tier 4 skills, just imagine having all three. The game would get boring fast because every enemy would basically become the equivalent of a pup skag with a gun.

...I don't know what you mean on any count. I don't think Lilith is broken at level 50 now. I don't think the word "broken" really even applies to anything you can do in this game outside of exploiting the system as in editing files or duping, as it's not competitive. If you could do something right up your alley with only 4 skills from each tree if and when you get 60 skill points (which, as you'll see below, I don't want to happen), then go for it. That's one of the best parts of the game, choosing where to concentrate your skills.

Second, thinking of me as a "completion whore" means I might have given the opposite impression I meant to. I don't think adding more skill points is a good idea. I think 10 skill points extra over the course of all DLC released should be the most they allow. There will begin to be less and less variety in builds every time if they don't. They could still raise the level cap indefinitely and have better, higher-leveled loot.

Last, in any situation where you were given more opportunities to level, more difficult and higher-leveled enemies would have to follow. So if executed correctly, I don't imagine that "pup skag phenomenon" would be that likely no matter how many skill points you had.

Maxing out was a bad choice of words. I just meant that they would give us access to two of the bottom talents and half of the third tree.

I'm hoping that they don't give us any more talent points. I hope theyexpand the current trees with new talents. Having everyone use the same "best" build for their class would be a little boring.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pookaki said:
I'm hoping that they don't give us any more talent points. I hope theyexpand the current trees with new talents. Having everyone use the same "best" build for their class would be a little boring.

Definitely agree. I'd like to see the level cap eventually at 80, but no more than 10 extra skill points from the way it is now.

Also, new classes. :-!

I think better weapons would help diversify the classes as well. As it is now, most Sirens go with a Merc with an Anarchy or a Firefly with a Hellfire. When there isn't really a corrosive SMG that can compare with those two, people tend to shy away from Plaguebearer builds.

burgerdog

ghostmind said:
The column on your left is your new best friend.
That's where I stood. The tentacles are going through the column and knocking me out of the map. I can do the fight and take very little damage, I'm just having some bad luck with cheap kills.

edgefusion

burgerdog said:
That's where I stood. The tentacles are going through the column and knocking me out of the map. I can do the fight and take very little damage, I'm just having some bad luck with cheap kills.

The column on your right is your new new best friend.

Hugbot

Hugbot said:
I also have a question! In the 360 version, some strange voodoo is happening between a friend and myself. We absolutely cannot join the other's game. He can send an invite and I'll accept, and it just takes us back the the screen we were on when it happened. The opposite is also true, and it happens regardless of public/private. It looks like a few people are having this issue but I can't find a workaround online, and figured if anyone knew it'd be GAF.

Updating this for anyone who is interested. Looking into it, there's a substantial thread on Gearbox's official forums about it, but short of "you're internetting wrong" no one seems to have any real idea about what's causing it. It also looks like there's people who can host one friend but not another, and it's consistent between who can and can not join. Hrm.

Amneisac

I would actually like to see them go back and put some more thought into the talent trees at some point. I love that it's there and I think it's really fun like it is, but I can't help thinking there is a huge opportunity for new abilities / more diverse builds. I would also like to see some indication of what your actual skill level is, say if you have 5 points in something that's getting a boost from a class mod. Even if they don't show how much, just color the stat or something so you know it's being modified.

Love the game, I hope this is only the beginning of great things.

Major Williams said:
Explain this to me: I have 1.6 million dollars in my bank, yet don't have the millionaire achievement. (xbox 360 version)
Some achievements get broken throughout the course of the game especially if you are jumping from offline to online a lot. I'm not sure if it will unlock when you hit 2mill. Worth a shot tho.

Major Williams said:
Explain this to me: I have 1.6 million dollars in my bank, yet don't have the millionaire achievement. (xbox 360 version)

It's a glitch, same exact achievement I was cheated out of. Other people have missed other achievements. The fix is to create a new character and do it again. I can already confirm for you getting another million will not do anything, hell, I earned over a billion I believe as I got that 'buy the planet' in-game medal.

What I did, was horde all the most expensive loot until I ammased a million's worth and dumped it on the ground in a friends game. I then switched characters, had him invite me back in, and picked it all up and sold it. *Bloop* instant achievement :) I also instantly went up 5 levels from the vendor selling in-game medals which was perfect because that allowed me to use my special ability to kill an enemy and earn Lily's achievement :lol

SquallASF said:
It's a glitch, same exact achievement I was cheated out of. Other people have missed other achievements. The fix is to create a new character and do it again. I can already confirm for you getting another million will not do anything, hell, I earned over a billion I believe as I got that 'buy the planet' in-game medal.

What I did, was horde all the most expensive loot until I ammased a million's worth and dumped it on the ground in a friends game. I then switched characters, had him invite me back in, and picked it all up and sold it. *Bloop* instant achievement :) I also instantly went up 5 levels from the vendor selling in-game medals which was perfect because that allowed me to use my special ability to kill an enemy and earn Lily's achievement :lol
You sir, are an amazing man. I'll have to do this once I get up to the higher levels and it can be an easy enough swap. Thank you so much!

Major Williams said:
You sir, are an amazing man. I'll have to do this once I get up to the higher levels and it can be an easy enough swap. Thank you so much!

No problem, I was frustrated that it was that achievement of all to go wrong. You can kill 25 people with explosions again in no time but getting a million again would take much longer, until I thought outside the box hehe I actually WAY overdid it on hording stuff (just did that process last night) so if you hit me up on live I could hook you up with some expensive loot to sell. Are you on the GAF Firefight 2 tag by any chance? If not, PM me and I'll give you my gamertag. I have to run to the gym and then to class but I'll get on later. I'm probably going to leave class early tonight since I have to pack for the weekend. WOOT for having a two-day work week and only had to use one paid leave day :) (and one comp-time)

my friends and i just got this game. played some coop missions but man, they are hard!

those bigger scags are really hard to take down. we die at least twice when encountering a group. is the difficulty upped when playing coop? what is the best way to take out harder creatures and enemies without running out of ammo? were at level 5 - 6

Top Bottom