• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

macfoshizzle said:
my friends and i just got this game. played some coop missions but man, they are hard!

those bigger scags are really hard to take down. we die at least twice when encountering a group. is the difficulty upped when playing coop? what is the best way to take out harder creatures and enemies without running out of ammo? were at level 5 - 6

Creatures get harder with each additional player.

And, what classes are you all playing?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I am really trying to get into this game and I just can't do it. I understand that it is trying to be more of a Shooter/RPG hybrid ala Fallout 3 but the game is extremely last generation in nature with relatively non interactive environments and objects with an average combat physics model. Even the cell shading looks more comparable to Red Steel 2 than say Team Fortress 2. It almost plays like a extremely toned down version of Dues Ex and even that game had more environment and object interaction than Borderlands.

Firestorm

Shaheed79 said:
I am really trying to get into this game and I just can't do it. I understand that it is trying to be more of a Shooter/RPG hybrid ala Fallout 3 but the game is extremely last generation in nature with relatively non interactive environments and objects with an average combat physics model. Even the cell shading looks more comparable to Red Steel 2 than say Team Fortress 2. It almost plays like a extremely toned down version of Dues Ex and even that game had more environment and object interaction than Borderlands.
The game is about player-self, player-player, and player-enemy interaction. There is no environmental interaction because that's not what the game is designed for. If you're looking for that, you're playing the wrong game for sure.

Shaheed79 said:

The cel-shading in the game looks more like *game A that isn't cel-shaded* than *game B that isn't cel-shaded*?

Wat.

EDIT: Oh, Red Steel 2. Nevermind. But still, TF2 isn't cel-shaded.

Shaheed79 said:

This is not meant to be a single player RPG type experience. It's way more diablo than it is fallout. The game is at it's best when you're playing co-op and just blasting the hell out of a camp of bandits for whatever bullshit reason a NPC gave you.

Ajemsuhgao said:
Creatures get harder with each additional player.

And, what classes are you all playing?

there are 3 of us. im playing the hunter and two of my friends are both playing siren :lol i think if one of em was to play as the soldier class, we would last longer. those scags with armor is a real pain.. and dont get me started on teh fire one. i found out real quick ammo mods to expand ur ammo is a must in this game.

macfoshizzle said:
there are 3 of us. im playing the hunter and two of my friends are both playing siren :lol i think if one of em was to play as the soldier class, we would last longer. those scags with armor is a real pain.. and dont get me started on teh fire one. i found out real quick ammo mods to expand ur ammo is a must in this game.

Yeah...

A friend and I had a tough time with them as well, when I was Hunter, and he was Siren. I really don't know how to help you there :\

Ajemsuhgao said:
Yeah...

A friend and I had a tough time with them as well, when I was Hunter, and he was Siren. I really don't know how to help you there :\

any tips on building he hunter character? what skills are really useful?

SuperEnemyCrab said:
This is not meant to be a single player RPG type experience. It's way more diablo than it is fallout. The game is at it's best when you're playing co-op and just blasting the hell out of a camp of bandits for whatever bullshit reason a NPC gave you.

this is pretty much how im playing but the problem is can you miss out on the better weapons from playing coop?

nilay

just burn the skags

im playing 4 player co-op with friends and we make light work of the big bosses its when we get outnumbered by like 10-15 enemies we have trouble. The berserker makes like so easy as he pummels enemies while the others can take em out while they are distracted

BrettWeir

If I have one complaint about the game, it is loot scaling. I am level 42 on my 2nd playthrough with my Siren. I am still using a white SMG I found at level 34 on the first playthrough. Not even the purples I am finding can touch it. Almost to Mad Mel, and my loot crave meter is pinging.

Hugbot

TurtleSnatcher said:
Ain't No Rest for the Wicked by Cage the Elephant is now number 57 on iTunes. Holy crap. The game most definetley propelled them.

It was awesomely weird hearing good licensed music coming out of a FPS, not to mention something that actually fits the setting. As soon as it started I thought of goddamn Halo 2. Like Breaking Benjamin or no, the second that song came on you rolled your eyes.

Hugbot said:
It was awesomely weird hearing good licensed music coming out of a FPS, not to mention something that actually fits the setting. As soon as it started I thought of goddamn Halo 2. Like Breaking Benjamin or no, the second that song came on you rolled your eyes.

True.

But at least the Incubus bits fit sorta. Follow playing during the Banshee heretic area was pretty cool.

nilay said:
just burn the skags

Very true, and useful on all skags except the crazy fire ones. Alpha skags have tons of armor in the front, so don't take them on head-on. Shoot them in their hindquarters or in the mouth if you ever get an opportunity. The spitter skags are also weak against melee for what its worth.

Knowing the right elemental weaknesses of your foes is key to laying waste to bad guys in this game. And just in case it isn't commonly known, the likelihood of an elemental effect happening with each bullet is determined by the text "High, Higher, Very High elemental chance, and *not* the multiplier. IF an elemental effect applies to your shot, it'll do whatever damage your shots usually do X the multiplier. So be on the lookout, some x1 elemental weapons can still be very useful if their base damage is good and they have a high elemental chance.

Firestorm

holy frack Mad Mel killed me 5 times. I lost 600k+. ARGHHHHH
2nd Playthrough is effing hard when you don't do sidequests + have no friends. First playthrough was so easy (3 - 4 players at all times, soldier healing, did most of the sidequests).

Firestorm said:
holy frack Mad Mel killed me 5 times. I lost 600k+. ARGHHHHH
2nd Playthrough is effing hard when you don't do sidequests + have no friends. First playthrough was so easy (3 - 4 players at all times, soldier healing, did most of the sidequests).

Stand outside the arena and snipe him

Jason

I used to get pissed when I'd lose that amount of money. Now dying costs me ~1.5 mil and I don't even blink an eye. :lol

Razorskin

----- ------
I got the game on sunday but I've only played about 2 hours worth so far. I'm playing as a soldier and just killed
9 toes
, any suggestions on where I should put my skill points? I look forward to many hours playing this great game.

Razorskin said:
I got the game on sunday but I've only played about 2 hours worth so far. I'm playing as a soldier and just killed
9 toes
, any suggestions on where I should put my skill points? I look forward to many hours playing this great game.

I also played through as a solider and found the "support" tree the best. The turret cooldown reduction and supply crate are awesome. I also put some points to increase the damage of the turret, and also aid station so it heals you. Overload is another great skill that increase the clip size of all guns, very useful.

Hugbot

Razorskin said:
9 toes

If you're playing solo, survivability trumps DPS. The damage will come regardless, and my best advice is to b-line through the medic tree starting with Aid Station, then Fitness, Overload, and Stat.

If you're playing co-op, as you should be, it's more of a matter of what you want to be doing most of the time. Figure out whether you want to be support or dishing out damage and go from there. Just remember it's impossible to become useless because you messed anything up and even if you do it's cheap to respec at any New-U.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Yeah but I love games like Diablo and Hellgate London but even on that level it is disappointing. If I could do some split-screen co-op I may change my mind but I was expecting a more polished experience than the one we got. There is literally nothing so far about this game that I feel couldn't have been done on the original Xbox.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Shaheed79 said:
I understand that it is trying to be more of a Shooter/RPG hybrid ala Fallout 3
Perhaps that's your first mistake. Beyond the superficial similarities in setting, I can't think of two games that have played so differently yet been compared so often.

Ajemsuhgao said:
The cel-shading in the game looks more like *game A that isn't cel-shaded* than *game B that isn't cel-shaded*?

Wat.

EDIT: Oh, Red Steel 2. Nevermind. But still, TF2 isn't cel-shaded.

Actually Borderlands isn't cel-shaded either. :lol

dreamer3kx said:
this is pretty much how im playing but the problem is can you miss out on the better weapons from playing coop?

You can miss out on the better weapons from NOT playing coop.

Shaheed79 said:
Yeah but I love games like Diablo and Hellgate London but even on that level it is disappointing. If I could do some split-screen co-op I may change my mind but I was expecting a more polished experience than the one we got. There is literally nothing so far about this game that I feel couldn't have been done on the original Xbox.

You are a bad person.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I guess Gearbox just doesnt want my money. Zombie Island DLC is coming to consoles only with no dates for PC version and the PC patch has no ETA. My PC money not good enough? I get the message loud and clear.

Kintaro said:
I guess Gearbox just doesnt want my money. Zombie Island DLC is coming to consoles only with no dates for PC version and the PC patch has no ETA. My PC money not good enough? I get the message loud and clear.

You really think it won't come out? PC version of the game was delayed. Are you really shocked that the DLC might be as well?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
elrechazao said:
You really think it won't come out? PC version of the game was delayed. Are you really shocked that the DLC might be as well?

I shouldn't have to wait at all. That's the point.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
macfoshizzle said:
i play co-op with a mate as hunter and her as siren with no probs, just wait for the skags to stop and roar, and shoot them in the mouth to get a critical hit. takes them down no problems. you can often get them mid-air too when they leap at you.

macfoshizzle said:
any tips on building he hunter character? what skills are really useful?
i started focusing on the sniper skill tree but since moved over to the middle one (birdy). now he charges up super fast, deals out massive damage and also gets enemies to drop loot + health.

Rad Agast

I'm still on my first play through (level 25 Siren) and it's quite enjoyable so far. I don't really know what's going on with the story or why I'm doing the quests, it's a fun game to play while listening to podcasts though so I'll probably stick with it for a good while.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
After playing as whirlwindofflamingcorrosivelightningmaelstrominterdimensionalundyingwomanofthestars-girl, its hard to start up a new character as a soldier or hunter.

outsida

DY_nasty said:
After playing as whirlwindofflamingcorrosivelightningmaelstrominterdimensionalundyingwomanofthestars-girl, its hard to start up a new character as a soldier or hunter.
I started a Siren after my LVL 50 Soldier and my LVL 30 Brick and I'm glad I waited... The game seems new and fresh to me again...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
outsida said:
I started a Siren after my LVL 50 Soldier and my LVL 30 Brick and I'm glad I waited... The game seems new and fresh to me again...
I never even used rifles or revolvers until this playthrough, now I'm wondering how I survived at all without my space BR and duck dodgers pistol. I love this game.

outsida

DY_nasty said:
I never even used rifles or revolvers until this playthrough, now I'm wondering how I survived at all without my space BR and duck dodgers pistol. I love this game.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
DY_nasty said:
f4fkt4.jpg

Ashour

Son of a bitch, I spent 45 min playing a mission and the second I finish it the game freezes, WTF!

And no the game didn't save :(

It took you 45 mins to do a mission and you somehow miracously didn't pass one of the restore auto save waypoints?

I mean.. I pass by 5 of those on missions w/o even realizing.

I finally started playing again.. Had to settle into my new apartment. Just killed the boss that sits on the turret.. I forget his name.

Holy hell was he a pain.. Hard to get up that canyon area.. Thankfully I found a place a little below and was able to just pelt him to death slowly with my machine gun that never runs out of ammo.

Got 2 levels tonight.. The game is long.

Krom can be a nightmare, he gunned me down a few times, reached level 46 yesterday and i've done enough missions to hit 47, hopefully get to 50 tonight with my soldier.

kyo_daikun said:
Krom can be a nightmare, he gunned me down a few times, reached level 46 yesterday and i've done enough missions to hit 47, hopefully get to 50 tonight with my soldier.

Probably the easiest fight in the game for me. Jump out from behind cover, snipe 3 times, jump back. Rinse and repeat.

Shadow780

kyo_daikun said:

Can't you just snipe him from the starting area?

I killed him from afar with a burst fire rocket launcher.

I was shooting him with a sniper rifle from afar but it didn't have very good zoom, my shots would hit the turret and that regenerates health pretty much instantly so I gave up and tried to run and gun it (failed miserably)

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
_bluemoon said:
Krom is probably the easiest enemy in the game if you have a decent sniper rifle handy.

the krom fight was so easy that i thought after we blew up the turret, he was gonna meet us when we got up there. when he didn't appear we realised we'd already killed him :lol bit of an anti climax...

Firestorm

Ok don't think it's possible to do this alone without sidequests. I'm LV40 and the monsters in the area are up to LV44. Birds absolutely murdered me.

Firestorm said:
Ok don't think it's possible to do this alone without sidequests. I'm LV40 and the monsters in the area are up to LV44. Birds absolutely murdered me.

They are definetly helpful in keeping you close/ above the enemies level.

Top Bottom